Amount
× Polite reminder: some great stuff being posted here; use the THANK YOU button to reward others for their efforts, and encourage further contributions. It's free, but worth a lot..!

What genre do you prefer ?

21 Apr 2006 09:42 #5311 by superfunk
What genre do you prefer ? was created by superfunk
I have some ideas for a SW video game. But I'm not sure what genre (FPS, TPS of RPG) fits well. I haven't try CoH or CoV yet. But I tried Freedom Force and loved the style. Personally I prefer Freedom Force Style RPG but with (R) rated content.

Is there anyone wants to share ideas ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• superfunk
  • superfunk's Avatar Topic Author
More
21 Apr 2006 12:47 #5312 by jumperprime
Replied by jumperprime on topic Re: What genre do you prefer ?

I have some ideas for a SW video game. But I'm not sure what genre (FPS, TPS of RPG) fits well. I haven't try CoH or CoV yet. But I tried Freedom Force and loved the style. Personally I prefer Freedom Force Style RPG but with (R) rated content.

I really like the idea of a superwoman RPG

More
21 Apr 2006 23:32 #5314 by happiest_in_shadows
Replied by happiest_in_shadows on topic Re: What genre do you prefer ?
I would have to say rpg. I believe it would let you better appreciate the super fem plus I like storyline to go with my violence.

That and hopefully an rpg setting would allow you the pleasure of leveling the super fem and making her even more powerful then what she already is. For me one of the major features of rpgs is the leveling system and one of the main joys if leveling the female characters into demi-goddesses or in some cases goddess or higher.

Fun note: In the rpg growlanser the duel darkness there is an item called the level ten bell you can get in the arena fights. It sets a character back ten levels but they keep the stats they had before. You have three female characters.

I repeatedly used the level ten bells I gain on the female character Annette ( a sweet red head). I got her to the point that her stats maxed and with the right items she could kill just about any enemy in one turn ( though this consisted of several attacks as I gave her a gem which let her hit more then once). Plus she was nearly invulnerable.

I then used Annette to get several other level ten bells and well I basically turned all three female characters into unstoppable goddesses though I kept them slightly weaker then Annette since she was my favorite.

• happiest_in_shadows
More
22 Apr 2006 08:35 #5318 by superfunk
Replied by superfunk on topic Re: What genre do you prefer ?
That is absolutely the point. I agree leveling the charatcter is so much fun. The thing what i'm not sure player control style. As in TPS (like Tomb Raider, ONI ) you get involved with more action and key combination. But RPG's provides better control for multiple characters.

I tried the same thing In Neverwinter Nights, It was really a fun. However it still lacks in the environmental interaction, like some doors can't be broken. Walls can't be broken either. There is no lifting etc. Thats because the game is not written for our needs :)

I'm developing a simple game now. However it won't be a SW game at first. But it will converge in time. I have also found some good mods from the net. I'm currently modifiying them. I will try to send some shots after after i finished the modification.

• superfunk
More
27 Apr 2006 02:31 #5391 by happiest_in_shadows
That is an interesting project, I don’t know anything about working on games but I wish you the best of luck. If things work out be sure to leave off a level cap.

• happiest_in_shadows
More
27 Apr 2006 03:00 #5392 by Jabbrwock
Replied by Jabbrwock on topic Re: What genre do you prefer ?
An RPG has certain difficulties with the ubergirl genre - it by necessity imposes a certain degree of balance. Thus, you aren't going to find the kinds of absurdly powerful superwomen you tend to read so much about in the stories here and on related sites. The same issue applies to any game where you have to deal with multiple characters. It's the whole Superman vs. Aquaman quandary all over again.

For that reason, I'd personally favor an action game, or perhaps an action RPG hybrid like Zelda, over a pure RPG. Making the superheroine the only playable character frees you from any need to make sure she is balanced against the others - the designers can thus make her as powerful as they want, and simply include foes scaled against her for a fun play experience.

More
27 Apr 2006 03:10 #5393 by happiest_in_shadows
Untrue, the example I gave above with Growlanswer shows that you can indeed make the female characters over powered. The best male character I had possessed stats around 500, plenty powerful for the game the female characters on the other hand all had stats around 999.

They are also some rpgs that focus only on the main character. Jade Empire would be an example of one of those.

Another good example would be a game like Never Winter Nights.

An RPG has certain difficulties with the ubergirl genre - it by necessity imposes a certain degree of balance. Thus, you aren't going to find the kinds of absurdly powerful superwomen you tend to read so much about in the stories here and on related sites. The same issue applies to any game where you have to deal with multiple characters. It's the whole Superman vs. Aquaman quandary all over again.

For that reason, I'd personally favor an action game, or perhaps an action RPG hybrid like Zelda, over a pure RPG. Making the superheroine the only playable character frees you from any need to make sure she is balanced against the others - the designers can thus make her as powerful as they want, and simply include foes scaled against her for a fun play experience.

• happiest_in_shadows
More
27 Apr 2006 03:20 #5394 by Jabbrwock

Untrue, the example I gave above with Growlanswer shows that you can indeed make the female characters over powered. The best male character I had possessed stats around 500, plenty powerful for the game the female characters on the other hand all had stats around 999.

They are also some rpgs that focus only on the main character. Jade Empire would be an example of one of those.

Another good example would be a game like Never Winter Nights.

The point isn't possibility - it's good game design. A game with multiple playable characters where one is arbitrarily superior to the others is badly designed - period. Jade Empire, like Zelda, is a hybrid action RPG - and also has all playable characters pretty much equal, +/- player choice in how they develop.

I could go on to explain why having grossly disparate character power levels among characters used to play the same game is bad design, but it's more than a bit of a digression. I'll just stand by my statement that if you want the ubergirls to be really uber and the game to be really good, you need to have the males be either just as uber or not playable characters. Going against foes that challenge Ultra Mega Power Woman as Normal Guy isn't fun for anybody, and going against foes that Normal Guy can hope to defeat as Ultra Mega Power Woman is just plain boring.

More
27 Apr 2006 03:27 #5395 by happiest_in_shadows
I don’t know. Let’s take Kos-Mos from the Xenosaga games for an example and say that in the game she was as powerful as she is in the storyline.

Kos-Mos is an android which means she is going to need basic repairs at least in theory. It could be interesting if the female was the primary fighter while it was up to the guy to handle repairing her body whenever it was damaged.

Of course I agree that the super fem may as well be the only combative playable character.

• happiest_in_shadows
More
27 Apr 2006 03:37 #5396 by Jabbrwock

I don’t know. Let’s take Kos-Mos from the Xenosaga games for an example and say that in the game she was as powerful as she is in the storyline.

Kos-Mos is an android which means she is going to need basic repairs at least in theory. It could be interesting if the female was the primary fighter while it was up to the guy to handle repairing her body whenever it was damaged.

That's a possibility, although dedicated healer characters usually end up being pretty lame in RPG's. There's no problem with a female being the main bruiser in the story, it only becomes an issue when the power level is such that the rest of the characters are just hangers-on. Why have a stealthy lockpicking guy if the ubergirl can beat the door down? Why have a mighty fireball-slinging wizard when the ubergirl has heat vision? Why have a deadly accurate sniper when the ubergirl can lay her foes low with a single punch? If the ubergirl needs anybody else, she's not close to as uber as the girls we read so much about on these sites.

This is drawn from my experience with City of Heroes, a game long on concept and rather shaky on development, in my opinion. The super-strength abilities in the game were really pretty disappointing - because they had to be balanced against the same content everybody else was dealing with. It led me to to my current belief that if you want to have an outlandishly powerful character, you're best off making him (or preferably her) the only playable character in the game.

More
28 Apr 2006 06:17 #5419 by superfunk
I agree with you Jabbrwock. An Invincible character gives feeling of playing with cheats, which is also tasteless.

I think that, a SW game must be based on a different philosophy. The Displaying strength feats shall be the main idea. Additionally, One important thing is, the speed of the character development. This must be choosen carefully.

I realize that I want really ask "How do you want to control your SW character ?". What is the best one ?. In my opininion, the TPS, RPG/Action type controls are two and only possible choices.

TPS provides a good shot for character, that is preferable. But with complex key combinations, which is efficiently used mostly by kids. Also the action speed is high.

RPG/ Action type control, which is based on mouse and drop down menus, provides better control over character and good shot of the scene.

Actually these two choices don't affect the game design. much. So swicthing between them won't be so difficult. So there are not so important yet.

• superfunk
More
29 Apr 2006 02:08 #5435 by happiest_in_shadows
That is one thing I like about leveling without a level cap. If there was no level cap then it is purely up to the player to make the character as powerful or keep her as week as they want to. One example I can think of off the top of my head would be Jade Empire.

You can either go through the game pretty strait forward or you can stop off on the mountain path before the pilgrims rest inn and get your character to level thirty or maybe thirty two. The highest level in the game before going on.

Growlanser is another example. As mentioned above you can use the arena to basically turn any character you want into a goddess/god.

With an rpg system if the person wanted to have a challenge they could just refrain from over leveling.

That's a possibility, although dedicated healer characters usually end up being pretty lame in RPG's. There's no problem with a female being the main bruiser in the story, it only becomes an issue when the power level is such that the rest of the characters are just hangers-on. Why have a stealthy lockpicking guy if the ubergirl can beat the door down? Why have a mighty fireball-slinging wizard when the ubergirl has heat vision? Why have a deadly accurate sniper when the ubergirl can lay her foes low with a single punch? If the ubergirl needs anybody else, she's not close to as uber as the girls we read so much about on these sites.

This is drawn from my experience with City of Heroes, a game long on concept and rather shaky on development, in my opinion. The super-strength abilities in the game were really pretty disappointing - because they had to be balanced against the same content everybody else was dealing with. It led me to to my current belief that if you want to have an outlandishly powerful character, you're best off making him (or preferably her) the only playable character in the game.

• happiest_in_shadows
More
16 May 2006 05:18 #5518 by Antlion
Replied by Antlion on topic Re: What genre do you prefer ?
No doubt it has to be fighting games by far. No other genre compares when showing how female characters can fight. Unless you guys see high level play (those from National Japanese tournaments or US nationals, NOT casual ) in these types of games, you can never really notice how this genre would be the best to see them in action. I've never liked the rpg female characters, alot of times they are always magic users and always have the typical sterotypical weak strength. In fighters its always even ground, and heck its sometimes even one sided.

More
16 May 2006 15:37 #5521 by happiest_in_shadows

No doubt it has to be fighting games by far. No other genre compares when showing how female characters can fight. Unless you guys see high level play (those from National Japanese tournaments or US nationals, NOT casual ) in these types of games, you can never really notice how this genre would be the best to see them in action. I've never liked the rpg female characters, alot of times they are always magic users and always have the typical sterotypical weak strength. In fighters its always even ground, and heck its sometimes even one sided.

How many fighting games have you seen that actually let you make your own decisions? To go around and choose either to pick a locked chest or if the fem is strong enough rip it open. To open the door or break it in entirely.

Fighting games really don’t tend to if ever give one much choice in how they interact with the environment or solve problems. Plus, in a fighting game the character would just be written off as using martial skill.

After all how many want to see the super fem have difficulty beating one opponent after the other? When in an rpg she gets to show off by beating multiple opponents at the same time.

The rpg’s you’re thinking about are mostly the heavily scripted ones that don’t give much freedom. Which on many levels I don’t believe have the right to be called rpgs. I mean role playing game, how are you playing a role if you’re following a script that can’t be altered in the least? You don’t even have multiple paths to take in many of them.

Oh and as for the rpg female characters. That really depends on the character design. Try Kos-Mos from Xenosaga or Annette from Growlanser. I assure you neither of them are the spell casters.

• happiest_in_shadows
More
16 May 2006 16:48 #5522 by WhitePaw
Replied by WhitePaw on topic Re: What genre do you prefer ?
Well, with an e-mail address of "White_Paw_CoH@yahoo.com"...go figure. No, it ain't perrrfect, but CoH/CoV tries.

I've played just about everything out there:
-I have to confess to a couple-years-long addictions to watching the chicky polygons bounce on a slew of fighting games, but Japanese national button-smashing champion--I just ain't. Mezerizing yes, but it wore off.
-Tomb Raider bounces nice, but that stupid chain swing on level 3 ended it for fumblefingers me. I'm the brainy type that's ripe for the ass-kicking by some nimble-thumbed 8-year-old punk every single time.
-I must also confess to a couple'a years of Neverwinter Nights addictions too and a handfull of hacked-on dragon nymphs there that pretty much finished the game in full-on demoness form. Little you can't do there if you're willing to code-up in the level editor, but the learning curve's steep and debug is all-consuming.
-Then there's that ol' Freedom Force thing. A few mods and model/skin hacks later and I've a few uber looking girls that can walk around crumbling buildings at a whim, batting baddies for blocks n' stuff, but the gameplay/interface is awkward at best. It's really designed as a RTS and all the commands are for whole teams at a time.

Brings me down to breaking my aversion to paying for anything and the whole MMORG set. Had to try it, now I'm hooked. Played the Sony set (Matrix Online, Everquest 2, Starwars Galaxies) for a month or two each at most, but didn't make sense to me spending so much game effort to build up the skills and resources to get one lousy bikini, let alone any uber abilities.

CoH was a quantum leap up my alley. Gets you one-on-one with your uber (your 'Fast', for all you VW-drivers). No mucking about with all that crafting crapola for the outfits (comic book toons are just DRAWN that way). Nuthin but bustin skull for more and more uber power. Better than that: it's all pretty much to a live audience, and THAT's the addicting part for drama queens like me. No, the buildings don't go crunch--but ya gotta share the landscape. Baddies go crunch well enough when you work up your powers. The polygon models were kinda plain to begin with, but I've warmed up to 'em (and they've added "scales" to adjust what um...shape you're in ;)

CoH/CoV dissapointments: the tanker invulnerability/super strength power set looks awesome in some ways, cheeky in others. It only does physical damage and everybody and their grandma's poolde has decent resistances to it so it's not at all uber among its peers. But add super speed, a bit of flight and you've a decent-behaving Kryptonian. And yes, I'm a maxed-out one of these, but I've been branching out lately.

I guess the root CoH/CoV disappointment is there really are no 'uber' power sets--or there are(grav/storm controller, fire/fire tanker, dark/regen scrapper etc), but they're not what we want them to be. I suppose every set has it's "Zen" but the game is all about balance, not uncontrolled uberness.

Still fun to walk into the middle of an army of post-apocalyptic cyborg tanks and send them flying like popcorn with one big stomp. Game can give ya that in stereo.

Well, carry on. Mebby I'll see ya in there someday. Oh, and I'm finishing up my class in Macromedia Flash, might be a cheesy website/game or two in the works....

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

(and yeah, the tracers are me in Photoshop. Not that the game doesn't--but they're too fast to catch decent in a screenshot).

Wuv,
-Whitepaw

More
16 May 2006 19:17 #5526 by jumperprime
Replied by jumperprime on topic Re: What genre do you prefer ?

Well, carry on. Mebby I'll see ya in there someday. Oh, and I'm finishing up my class in Macromedia Flash, might be a cheesy website/game or two in the works....

You're working on a Flash game, WP? Cool! Even if it is 'cheesy' as you put it, with you as the author I'm sure it'll have some awesome uberbabes and accompanying action

More
23 Jun 2007 01:54 #9602 by paulsamiga
Replied by paulsamiga on topic Re: What genre do you prefer ?

Hay tmppointer is this game of yours still in the works or have u abandoned it?

If your still working on it can we have an update please? ...Pretty please :)

More
23 Jun 2007 08:00 #9612 by superfunk
I was experimenting with some game engines. It seems it will be too difficult to create something satisfying. I think, producing a CG Movie will be more satisfying. Now I am experimenting on blender software for this. Depending on the result , i will continue on a game or CG movie.

So far I was experimenting with these for the game project

Irrlicht
ogre3d
and the bullet physics library .

I was also worked on some models that found on polycount. But it was really a time consuming process.

However I'm usually very busy with my work and I cannot afford much time on this.

Any ideas or contributions are welcome.

• superfunk
More
23 Jun 2007 21:19 #9618 by paulsamiga
Replied by paulsamiga on topic Re: What genre do you prefer ?
Well good luck with the game and/or movie.
Lets hope you come up with somthing. :)

I was experimenting with some game engines. It seems it will be too difficult to create something satisfying. I think, producing a CG Movie will be more satisfying. Now I am experimenting on blender software for this. Depending on the result , i will continue on a game or CG movie.

So far I was experimenting with these for the game project

Irrlicht
ogre3d
and the bullet physics library .

I was also worked on some models that found on polycount. But it was really a time consuming process.

However I'm usually very busy with my work and I cannot afford much time on this.

Any ideas or contributions are welcome.

More
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds