Amount

New theme suggestion

26 Sep 2005 17:40 #2723 by Will
New theme suggestion was created by Will
All the Steele women are magnficent - and Sonya is a perfect addition. They can all fill Supergirl's boots to perfection. I'd like to make a story suggestion to Kelly for his next update...

I've always been a fan of the 1950s Superman series. I thought George Reeves nailed the personal far better than Christopher Reeve. I'd suggest having Mandi reenact the opening of the fifties series...with Mandi's Supergirl in the lead...in the Adventures of Supergirl.

"Faster than a speeding bullet" - Mandi outruns a bullet and turns to have it bounce off of her,

"More powerful than a locomotive" She lifts a locomotive

"Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound!" Mandi soars over a tall building.

Then picture a crowd below...

A woman: "Look, up in the sky!"
A man "it's a bird!"
Woman again No, it's a 'plane"
Woman's pretty daughter with pride in her voice "No...It's SUPERGIRL!"

Narrator: "Yes! It's Supergirl! Beautiful stranger from another planet who came to earth with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men. (Mandi stands on top of the Empire State Building straight faced in her power pose)

Narrator "Supergirl - able to change the course of mighty rivers. Bend steel in her bare hands." (Mandi bends some steel bars.)

Narrator: "And who, disguised as a mild-mannered reporter, Mandi Steele" (Mandi stands in her superpose atop the Empire State Building dressed in a short skirt, and blouse)

Narrator "fights a never ending battle for truth, justice and the American way!" Mandi suddenly transforms back into her Supergirl costume with the American flag flying in the background.

It's good for both audio and video too! Just a thought!

Will

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Sep 2005 18:12 #2727 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Re: New theme suggestion
Nice!

Will, how about rewriting an episode from the TV series with Mandi / Supergirl in mind -- maybe for a story workshop?

I've sometimes thought it would be fun to write a Supergirl / Superwoman story in the style of the Max Fleischer Superman cartoons from the 1940's.

Obviously, no one was thinking of us SWManiacs back then -- so it's up to us to show how it should have been done!

More
26 Sep 2005 18:54 #2729 by Will
Replied by Will on topic Re: New theme suggestion
I'd love to! Do you have a website for the cartoons, or an episode guide? Are they on DVD?

More
26 Sep 2005 19:51 #2731 by argonaut
I've got a DVD with the cartoons ... I'm sure there's a website somewhere ...

More
26 Sep 2005 22:07 #2741 by Will
I'll try to buy them on Amazon. Is the opening theme the same?

More
27 Sep 2005 12:08 #2754 by argonaut
If you mean the announcer's words, yes, they're pretty much the same as the ones that opened the TV show.

More
27 Sep 2005 21:22 #2782 by Will
When was it made? At the same time as the 1950s series? Does Superman have the same attitude of total invulnerability that George Reeves gives him?

More
27 Sep 2005 22:55 #2792 by argonaut
Well, the DVD I own has 17 cartoons, each about 8 - 10 minutes in length, made between 1941 and 1943. Superman's voice is provided by Bud Collier (I may have spelled his name incorrectly), who also played Superman on radio. The animation -- apparently quite sophisticated (and time-consuming) for the era -- has a shadowy, noir-ish feel to it.

It's been a long time since I saw an episode of the live-action TV series from the 1950's, but I seem to recall that the plots were pretty down-to-earth, involving gangsters and such. The cartoons, in contrast, have plots involving death-rays, thawed-out dinosaurs, exploding volcanos, big robots, etc.

Fleischer's Superman -- like his 1940's comic-book counterpart -- isn't as invincible as he became later. When Superman approaches a gangster through a hail of bullets, you get the sense that he's wading against a current. And instead of flying, he appears to be leaping great distances instead.

I definitely recommend these cartoons (despite the absence of ubergirl content) -- but bear in mind that my tastes tend to be on the "retro" side!

More
Time to create page: 0.045 seconds