Amount

Story mothballing / archiving

12 Nov 2016 00:34 #51178 by inactive
Story mothballing / archiving was created by inactive
As part of my general online cleanup, I'm going to ask Woodclaw to remove some of my stories from the Library. I'm going to hold off for a couple of weeks in case anyone wants to download copies of any of these.

The criteria for removal are:
  • Stories which are part of an unfinished series which is not going to be finished.
  • Stories which contain explicit, violent sexual content.
  • Stories which are violent gore and not much else.

There are a few that are on the bubble. I will defer to Woodclaw if he wants to veto removal of those stories, I'll mark those with an (*). The others are not up for discussion.

Here's the list of stories to be removed:

* Santa Girl (Unfinished Series)
* Although first in the Stupendous Girl series, I didn't know that at the time, so it could remain as a standalone.

Cupid Girl (Unfinished Series, Explicit)

Shamrock Girl (Unfinished Series)

Stupendously Evil Girl (Unfinished Series, Explicit)

* The Celebutante (Explicit, Gore)
* This was a workshop entry.

Earth Girl (Unfinished Series)

Independence Girl (Unfinished Series)

Halloween Girls (Unfinished Series)

The Bout (Gore)

The Scout (Gore)

Pilgrim Girls (Unfinished Series)

* Typhoon Clara (Unfinished Series)
* Although the other Liberty Belle stories more or less stand alone, this one is intended to be part of a continuing series.

New Year's Girl (Unfinished Series)

Aura's Game (Gore)

Careless Words (Gore)

The Accidental Amazon: Chapter One (Unfinished Series)

* Reunion Tour (Explicit, Gore)
* I would like this removed, but it's a workshop entry.

The Accidental Amazon: Chapter Two (Unfinished Series)

February Girl (Unfinished Series)

- GeekSeven

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• inactive
  • inactive's Avatar Topic Author
  • Legend of SWM
  • Legend of SWM
More
12 Nov 2016 09:55 #51182 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Story mothballing / archiving
As a general rule an author has the right to handle his or hers stories as see fit, publishing and unplublishing them based on the need of the moment.

Given that as a fan of G7's work and a bit of completionist when it comes to archives I'm very sad of reading this. When G7 contacted me about a week ago asking me about removing some of his stories from the site, it was hard blow because he has been a major contributor for a long time, his current story count is very close to 50 stories and I enjoyed most of them.
While I'm not privy to the full details of what happened on Amazon, I'm still hoping that he will reconsider. Losing an author is never a good thing and I'm hoping this won't be the case. I understand that some of these stories can be a pain to look at because they're unfinished or because they contain elements that he's no longer okay with, but many of them are good stories (I'm especially fond of Accidental Amazon and Careless Words). Perhaps they're not great literature, but they're fun, they're entertaining and they are good piece to return to every once in a while.

In the end I'm writing this becuase I love G7's narrative and I've already seen more than one author rage-quitting and taking down his stories. In the past I've tried to stop these kind of events all by myself and I was almost never successful, hence I'm hoping that this community will rally and show support for a great writer who took chunks of his time to create something for us to enjoy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dunla, ChaozCloud, Ravens_ghost, Monty

More
12 Nov 2016 12:05 #51186 by Monty
Replied by Monty on topic Story mothballing / archiving
I agree with Woodclaw here. I always read and enjoyed Stupendous Girl's work you have produced G7. I always see each of her stories as standalone verses rather than unfinished work. I love her naivety. I hope you re-consider! Guess what I'm off to read...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Woodclaw

More
12 Nov 2016 14:02 #51187 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Story mothballing / archiving
About a year ago there was a list of favorite stories on the site, and i listed 'Stupendiously Evil Girl' as one of the top 5 stories on the site.

Read it while you can as its a fun story.

More
12 Nov 2016 19:48 #51206 by circes_cup
Replied by circes_cup on topic Story mothballing / archiving
I agree with Castor -- Stupendously Evil Girl was a fun read!

I hope that whatever transpired on Amazon does not translate into a broader sense of discouragement, G7. As I said by PM, you really brought your "A Game" to the summer workshop -- that noir detective story the first person narration. I certainly couldn't have pulled that off, and you get better with ever passing year.

More
12 Nov 2016 20:16 #51207 by AuGoose
Replied by AuGoose on topic Story mothballing / archiving
So while my brain thoughtfully provided about a dozen theories 'why', I think I'll just ask:

What's up?

Even if you're no longer satisfied with them, these works clearly have fans who cherish and will preserve them. Why deny new readers that opportunity? And take away a body of examples from new writers and potential writers who might be inspired by them? Because we aren't just growing as individual writers. Repositories like SWM help the whole ubergirl genre to improve and gain sophistication.

Having old stories floating around may occasionally be embarrassing -- like your parents pulling out your old baby photos while you're desperately trying to convince your date you were never 'adorable'. But they're also brilliant reminders that you've gotten better and that you expect better of yourself now.

I can see wanting to shape your image in regards to content (explicit, violent, saccharine-sweet, whatever...). But boxing up tales just because they're "unfinished" and no longer hold your interest seems a little unfair to the community and to your fans. A little unfair to yourself too.

I hope you'll give it some more thought before pulling the trigger.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Woodclaw, ChaozCloud, Ravens_ghost, furbutt4

More
14 Nov 2016 10:02 #51244 by Dru1076
Replied by Dru1076 on topic Story mothballing / archiving
I don't know what happened to prompt this, but I would feel regretful if I didn't chime in here.

Your stories are a really important part of the tapestry that is this genre. If you remove these stories, it's like taking a chunk out of the great works of the Library of Alexandria. Without them...future generations of SWManiacs will be cheated of some great tales. We won't always be here to email bootleg copies of these tales to newcomers, and it seems really unfair for them to get An Arion Ascends and Not the One without classier stuff like Stupendous Girl.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Woodclaw, five_red

More
14 Nov 2016 14:06 #51250 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Story mothballing / archiving
I'll echo everyone else's sentiments by saying "Please don't go!" I understand the need sometime to scrub one digital footprint that might step on another.

If I might be presumptuous to offer, would it help if your SWM fiction remained separate from your other stuff? We could "re-author" all your works here to a new nom de plume of your choosing so it wouldn't get its streams crossed with your other works.

ElF

More
27 Nov 2016 16:38 #51423 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Story mothballing / archiving
Attention please,

the time to save a copy of the story is running out tomorrow more or less all the stories G7 mentioned above will be mothballed for the foreseeable future. For everyone who is interested in keeping a copy of them you have 24 hours to do so.

As a personal note this a major blow for the library because these stories are a pretty hefty chunk of G7's production over the years, so it' snot something I enjoy to see them disappear from the shelves :(

More
28 Nov 2016 18:39 - 28 Nov 2016 18:41 #51438 by AuGoose
Replied by AuGoose on topic Story mothballing / archiving
You're gone, gone, gone away
I watched you disappear
All that's left is the ghost of you.
Now we're torn, torn, torn apart,
There's nothing we can do
Just let me go we'll meet again soon
Now wait, wait, wait for me
Please hang around
I'll see you when I fall asleep

---Of Monsters and Men
Last edit: 28 Nov 2016 18:41 by AuGoose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: inactive

More
28 Nov 2016 21:01 #51443 by njae
Replied by njae on topic Story mothballing / archiving

geekseven wrote: ...
There are a few that are on the bubble. I will defer to Woodclaw if he wants to veto removal of those stories, I'll mark those with an (*). The others are not up for discussion.

For what it's worth, it wouldn't be the first time for workshop entries to be removed. So if you don't want them removed they should be. They are your stories after all.

• njae
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds