Amount

Forum Structure - what do you want to see?

07 Aug 2011 21:29 #24271 by fats
hi all,

I was thinking about the site today and one thing was bugging me. Does the current forum structure fill the needs of the people who use the site?

What got me started to think about this was the "Confirmed! Anne Hathaway as Catwoman!" thread should it go in to non-genre films section or should it go in "Superwomen in the movies" section, it a hard decision so I though about it and deduced that a discussion about what we have and where we have items would be a good idea.

At the current time we have the following forum structure.

SWM.com

About these forums
Notice for Anyone Interested in Joining the SuperWomenMania forum
SWM Forum Announcements
StoryBank
ImageBank
SWM Updates Tracker
Error reports
Special Features for Registered Members
Forum suggestions

Related Websites

Updates
Links
The Steeles

Superwomen on screen and in print

Superwomen in the movies
Superwomen on TV
Youtube/Dailymotion etc. Discoveries
Superwomen in comics
Superwomen in anime and manga
Superwomen in video games
Favorite Superwomen from TV and the Movies

Fantasies
Favorite Superwoman fantasy
I wish she was super
Superheroine transformations
Superwomen-related Polls and Discussion

Stories, Writers and Artists

Interactive Story
SGInc Workshops
New and Aspiring Artists and Writers
Story Ideas and Discussion
Story requests/suggestions
Artwork requests/suggestions
Favorite Stories
Favourite Artwork
Conceptfan
Julie and Friends - the writings of AK

Off-topic discussion

Who are we?
Music we love
Non-genre Movies
Non-genre Books
Ubergirls.org Legacy
Completely off-topic

Do people think that the current structure is fine? Are there things we need to remove? Are there things we need to add?

Because this is a big change I would want to hear from as many users as possible, please do reply to this tread, if there is any change then I would want the largest level of feedback from members. I've also thought that the timescale for the changes should be the region of 3-4 weeks that way we plenty of time to get things right.

I would love to hear your views.

Fats

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fats
  • fats's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
07 Aug 2011 21:32 #24272 by davidelliot2000
Replied by davidelliot2000 on topic Re: Forum Structure - what do you want to see?
Sounds reasonable.

More
08 Aug 2011 02:01 #24277 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Re: Forum Structure - what do you want to see?
There are a number of section that haven't seen any activity for a long time. These could probably be mothballed. What I mean is that they'd be removed from the index (which is really more like a table of contents), but that the old posts might be saved somewhere. The ones I'm thinking of are: Conceptfan, Julie and Friends, and Ubergirls.org Legacy.

Since we don't currently have an updates tracker, that entire section could be discarded. If and when the updates tracker is revived, then a new section can be added to the forum.

Related Websites: As a way of acknowledging and encouraging content providers, we might give active websites their own rubrics. I'm thinking that along with the section devoted to the Steeles, we could take the Project SuperWoman and Heavenly Heroines threads and make them full-fledged sections.

Superwomen on screen and in print: Keep it as is.

Fantasies: Maybe "Superwomen-related Polls and Discussion" should be moved to SWM.com?

Off-topic discussion: 1. "Who are we?" has been inactive for a while, but rather than retire it, I'd like to encourage our newer members to introduce themselves, tell us how they became interested in the fantasy of super-powerful women, etc. Any thoughts how this might be done? 2. The "Music" and "Books" threads might be moved to "Completely off-topic."
The following user(s) said Thank You: fats

More
08 Aug 2011 03:32 - 08 Aug 2011 03:35 #24281 by yohashuan
Replied by yohashuan on topic Re: Forum Structure - what do you want to see?
I may give a more detailed and thorough answer later, but for me, I've always thought this place had way too many subsections. Less is more IMHO. And I bet that if you managed to cut it down to just handful of main forums with no subforums, that the conversations would flow a lot easier here.

I don't think we need to make a distinction between comics and manga and videogames. I don't think we need to split up superheroines on TV vs superheroines in movies vs superheroine clips we found on youtube, etc. I don't think we need to make a distinction between 'I wish she was super' and 'transformation fantasies'. I can't go through every one (that's your job lol), but I think that because everything is already so fragmented, it makes users feel like they have to keep their conversation strictly "on topic," and doesn't let things flow as naturally.

Ultimately I think that if you just rolled it back to the six main sections and did away with the subsections altogether, that this place might liven up. And even then... I don't know if you should split up print media from live action... conversations about wonder woman or supergirl would likely jump between mediums if it didn't feel like you were breaking some rule to talk about Lynda Carter and animated WW in the same thread. The less rules/restrictions on conversations, the easier they flow. My 2 cents.
Last edit: 08 Aug 2011 03:35 by yohashuan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: oldHarmonyMotion, Grayface

More
08 Aug 2011 06:41 #24284 by Grayface
Replied by Grayface on topic Re: Forum Structure - what do you want to see?
I was wanting to say the same thing as yohashuan, but he said it better then I could have.

More
08 Aug 2011 08:01 #24287 by steelknight3000
Replied by steelknight3000 on topic Re: Forum Structure - what do you want to see?
I think you should get rid of the outdated/extraneous sections but keep the rest intact. Lumping together video games and movies just makes things confusing. Movies/TV/online should be in one topic while comics/manga in another. Video games should be separate third topic.

Also, just because a woman is in costume doesn't mean she's a Superwoman. As long as she has super-strength, it's on-topic.

More
08 Aug 2011 23:24 #24296 by dr lazarus
Replied by dr lazarus on topic Re: Forum Structure - what do you want to see?
I don’t have a problem with the current structure. Even though I sometimes see topics – for example, in the Superwomen Movies/TV section – that I don’t think belong in that category, it’s not a big deal. Like, I don’t think there’s a need a separate section for “Women Who Kick Ass But Don’t Have Any Actual Super-Powers.” I can see the point about women in costumes, but again, it doesn’t really bother me.

I don't think we need to make a distinction between comics and manga and videogames. I don't think we need to split up superheroines on TV vs superheroines in movies vs superheroine clips we found on youtube, etc. I don't think we need to make a distinction between 'I wish she was super' and 'transformation fantasies'. I can't go through every one (that's your job lol), but I think that because everything is already so fragmented, it makes users feel like they have to keep their conversation strictly "on topic," and doesn't let things flow as naturally.

I Wish She Was Super is perhaps my favorite section and I think it should stay separate and not merged with Superheroine Transformations, which I don’t see as the same thing. I can see the point about Youtube clips and Superwomen in TV/Movies, since there is some overlap there, and if they were to be merged I wouldn’t have a problem with it, though I would prefer that they remain seperate. I also think Comics/manga and Videogames should remain separate sections.

Like the Offspring said, you gotta keep ‘em separated … B)

As far as any sections with low activity are concerned, I don’t have any opinion on that one way or the other, and will leave that up to the admin(s) to decide.

Ursa. Her time has come.
www.facebook.com/UrsaFans

More
08 Aug 2011 23:59 - 09 Aug 2011 00:09 #24297 by yohashuan
IMO it's a lot more confusing and annoying to go to a discussion group where there are 50 subcategories, and about 40 them haven't gotten any play in over a month.

I stand by my conviction that this place would be a lot more bumpin if you got rid of the subforums altogether.

I don't mentally categorize my fetish for superhot flying chicks with gigantic hooters by media format. It just seems forced to try to do so in a discussion group. There is nothing worse than when a conversation gets taken off course and turned into a conversation about whether or not you're allowed to be having that particular conversation in that subforum, etc. Barf.

At it's core, what you want here is to make a place where likeminded people can have open, free discussions with minimal limitations. The forum names and any other "signposts" should always be created with the idea that you're trying to eliminate the barriers to conversation. You want people to know where they're going, but over categorizing leads to user withdrawl. (eg: "I want to reply to Dr Lazarus' posted collection of Ursa clips with this awesome cel-shaded clip of a Venezuelan superheroine, but it's not technically animated, and it's not technically live action, and it's not technically a comic, and I'm just getting so confused and flustered that I think I'll just click over to youtube and jerk off to those Japanese Superlady vids again instead").
__

TBH this is something that's really bugged me about this place for a long time, but I've never said anything about it because I'm just grateful that it even exists. But because the doors for feedback have been thrown open, I'm not going to be shy about strongly voicing my opinion. Please clean this place up, Fats. Trust me, people will still figure out where to post their clips and talk about magically expanding boobs.
Last edit: 09 Aug 2011 00:09 by yohashuan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: oldHarmonyMotion, Grayface

More
09 Aug 2011 00:09 #24298 by shadar
I don't have a problem with topics and subtopics, but 99% of the time, I simply follow the new postings, reading what's changed since I last visited. So the actual organization isn't important. One huge list would be just as good, as long as I have some tools to follow threads and posters.

As cool as this new software is in many ways, the older software was perfect for my style of reading "what's changed". This software is OK for that.

That said, I'm looking forward to using the new photo gallery software, which appears to be vastly improved over old software. I've got lots of enhanced Picts to share (with comments) now that I'm back home from my travels.

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
09 Aug 2011 01:59 #24302 by Grayface
Replied by Grayface on topic Re: Forum Structure - what do you want to see?
Once again I can say I agree 1000% with what yohashuan said. So I won't repeat what he said. less is more, KISS and all that.

More
09 Aug 2011 07:23 #24308 by oldHarmonyMotion
Replied by oldHarmonyMotion on topic Re: Forum Structure - what do you want to see?
*clicks Thank You to Yohashuan's post*
* You already said Thank You for this message.

• oldHarmonyMotion
More
09 Aug 2011 07:52 #24309 by steelknight3000
Replied by steelknight3000 on topic Re: Forum Structure - what do you want to see?

yohashuan wrote: IMO it's a lot more confusing and annoying to go to a discussion group where there are 50 subcategories, and about 40 them haven't gotten any play in over a month.

I stand by my conviction that this place would be a lot more bumpin if you got rid of the subforums altogether.

I don't mentally categorize my fetish for superhot flying chicks with gigantic hooters by media format. It just seems forced to try to do so in a discussion group. There is nothing worse than when a conversation gets taken off course and turned into a conversation about whether or not you're allowed to be having that particular conversation in that subforum, etc. Barf.

At it's core, what you want here is to make a place where likeminded people can have open, free discussions with minimal limitations. The forum names and any other "signposts" should always be created with the idea that you're trying to eliminate the barriers to conversation. You want people to know where they're going, but over categorizing leads to user withdrawl. (eg: "I want to reply to Dr Lazarus' posted collection of Ursa clips with this awesome cel-shaded clip of a Venezuelan superheroine, but it's not technically animated, and it's not technically live action, and it's not technically a comic, and I'm just getting so confused and flustered that I think I'll just click over to youtube and jerk off to those Japanese Superlady vids again instead").

As long as a topic is started in the proper section, you can reply however you like. The replies don't have to be filed into separate subforums, just the threads. That way each conversation can keep flowing.

More
09 Aug 2011 09:51 #24311 by fats
for those who are proposing major changes can they please outline what the forum would look like for other users so that they can see what it looks like.

thanks

fats

• fats
  • fats's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
09 Aug 2011 10:29 #24313 by yohashuan
Well I've been trying to give vague hints without specifics because I really don't know how it would break down and I haven't thought it through. I figure that's your job. I'll take a crack at it, though. But when people start blowing holes through my suggestion, it's not going to make my general point any less valid. :)

Okay, here you go:
____

SWM.com announcements/issues/faqs/bug alerts/etc.

Partner/Friend website announcements

Superwomen media links

Superwomen fiction

On-topic discussion

Off-topic discussion

More
09 Aug 2011 10:32 #24314 by oldHarmonyMotion
Replied by oldHarmonyMotion on topic Re: Forum Structure - what do you want to see?

yohashuan wrote:
SWM.com announcements/issues/faqs/bug alerts/etc.

Partner/Friend website announcements

Superwomen media links

Superwomen fiction

On-topic discussion

Off-topic discussion

I like it

• oldHarmonyMotion
More
09 Aug 2011 14:10 #24320 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Re: Forum Structure - what do you want to see?
Personally, I'm used to the current structure but I see the need for some change. Too many sections are inactive and/or refering to old elements.

The structure proposed by Yosh seem good, even if the categories are a little too broad for my own tastes.

More
10 Aug 2011 09:49 #24333 by steelknight3000
Forum Announcements
Bug Reporting
Storybank
Suggestions

Related Sites

(Contributions and Links)
Superwomen movies/TV/videos
Superwomen in comics/manga
Superwomen in video games

General Discussion

(Stories, Writers, and Artists)
Stories and discussion
Artwork and discussion

Off-topic discussion

More
11 Aug 2011 01:52 #24349 by CaptainIrishman
Replied by CaptainIrishman on topic Re: Forum Structure - what do you want to see?
I guess if I was to push for anything ....it would be the return of the Updates tracker and a clean up of the links page.

Otherwise I'm quite happy with all the new shiny things that we have here...

More
11 Aug 2011 04:40 #24356 by Artnico
:unsure: I'm not an expert, but there should be a section in which it would be easier to post illustrated stories.
Thanks. ;)

More
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds