Amount

new site feature?

22 Nov 2011 09:31 #25477 by oldHarmonyMotion
new site feature? was created by oldHarmonyMotion
Hi fats,

I was wondering if you wanted to take on a different feature design for the site. I hope it's not a difficult request.

What we have now is bright background. I personally hate dark text on bright background. It's like staring into a lightbulb.

What I was thinking was... maybe this is the light version of the design. What if there were a second design, dark background with lighter text on top? Make it toggle-able and have it save the user's preferences. The current incarnation could be the good supergirl, and the darker background would be, well, you know :)

Of course this is just a suggestion. I don't think we thank you enough for your efforts on the site, so let me say thank you very much. We appreciate the service you give us free of charge. If you don't get to this, or think it's a bad idea, I understand.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• oldHarmonyMotion
  • oldHarmonyMotion's Avatar Topic Author
More
22 Nov 2011 10:42 #25478 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Re: new site feature?

goobers wrote: Hi fats,

I was wondering if you wanted to take on a different feature design for the site. I hope it's not a difficult request.

What we have now is bright background. I personally hate dark text on bright background. It's like staring into a lightbulb.

What I was thinking was... maybe this is the light version of the design. What if there were a second design, dark background with lighter text on top? Make it toggle-able and have it save the user's preferences. The current incarnation could be the good supergirl, and the darker background would be, well, you know :)

Of course this is just a suggestion. I don't think we thank you enough for your efforts on the site, so let me say thank you very much. We appreciate the service you give us free of charge. If you don't get to this, or think it's a bad idea, I understand.

I'm working on a xmas version of this theme and also a dark version, i've been working on it for some time, i've got the text and background sorted, all i'm needing is the graphics, i would have bugged lfan for them but he's been very busy so it might be a little time for the dark theme to appear.

of course f users want to submit images for the dark theme i would have no issue with that.

Fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: oldHarmonyMotion

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
22 Nov 2011 19:37 #25479 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Re: new site feature?
I like the toggle feature. I personally like the light background!

More
22 Nov 2011 20:10 #25480 by njae
Replied by njae on topic Re: new site feature?
While we're on the topic of new designs; are there any plans for a widescreen version of the site?

More
22 Nov 2011 20:36 #25481 by fats

njae wrote: While we're on the topic of new designs; are there any plans for a widescreen version of the site?

not at this time, too many people are still using 4:3 ratio screens once that number drops below 30% then we will change to a widescreen version of the theme.

the site looks ok on my 30" screen.

Fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: njae

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
22 Nov 2011 20:55 #25482 by njae
Replied by njae on topic Re: new site feature?
Didn't expect that there were still so many people using 4:3. The only thing that actually bugs me on my 16:9 is the fact that I have to scroll down to see the first actual news on the page.

Attachment SWMScreen.jpg not found

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

More
23 Nov 2011 02:30 - 23 Nov 2011 02:32 #25483 by five_red
Replied by five_red on topic Re: new site feature?

fats wrote:

njae wrote: While we're on the topic of new designs; are there any plans for a widescreen version of the site?

not at this time, too many people are still using 4:3 ratio screens once that number drops below 30% then we will change to a widescreen version of the theme.

the site looks ok on my 30" screen.

Fats

You should be measuring the window size, not the screen resolution. I think it must be a graphic designer urban myth that everyone runs their browsers maximized.

Of course I could get all W3C pedant, and point out nobody should be designing HTML for specific resolutions anyway, for reasons far too plentiful to bother listing. But such heretic ideas tend to rile the less technical members of the web design community, so I'll keep my head down. :)
Last edit: 23 Nov 2011 02:32 by five_red. Reason: One day I'll learn English!

More
23 Nov 2011 04:38 #25484 by Random321
Replied by Random321 on topic Re: new site feature?
Yes! Good point Five_Red! I thought the same thing the moment I read the thread - and no my browser is not currently maximized - and beyond that - I'm known to run my second dual wide screen vertically! *Gasp!* *Oh the humanity!*

More
23 Nov 2011 08:54 #25487 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Re: new site feature?
I really love my 4:3 CRT display. It is so much better for looking at color artwork. Very easy to read as well. And of course it is hooked up to a very fast Windows Seven Tower with a full size keyboard and really nice Logitech speakers. I will most definitely shed a tear when it dies, but I will not replace it. Too heavy and takes up too much space!

More
23 Nov 2011 09:05 #25488 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Re: new site feature?
My browser is maximized, but it's on a creaky old Dell laptop. Huh turns out it's 16:10. Weird, I guess I've forgotten what 4:3 looks like.

Site looks just fine.

I would like a darker background theme, but they're tough to get right. I use one at work for coding, but it's the result of a lot of tweaking to maximize the readability of text, text, and nothing but text.

- GeekSeven

More
23 Nov 2011 09:36 #25490 by fats
being dyslexic black text on a white back ground is hard for me to read, that's one of the reasons for the development of the darker skin. When i did my pascal coding back in the mid 90's i had my Borland environment configured with a gray background to make it easier to code and when i went in to JS, Java, FS and C# i configured my editors with different colours to help me see what i'm coding.

One thing i like about the Joomla set up is that it's 99% W3C compliant, and works quite well with screen-readers and other adaptions for disabled users.

Noting beats the colour rendition of a CRT screen, i remember working on a 21" screen that had the best colour rendition, working on PS5.5 and being amazed natural the colours are. Now to get the same colour rendition you need to spend upwards of £1000 and have to use hoods like i do on my NEC PA301W-BK-SV.

fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
23 Nov 2011 10:55 #25492 by Raa
Replied by Raa on topic Re: new site feature?
Also being dyslexic and in the computer field also. I have to say you do a hell of a job.

Raa

More
23 Nov 2011 12:36 #25493 by Random321
Replied by Random321 on topic Re: new site feature?

fats wrote: Noting beats the colour rendition of a CRT screen, i remember working on a 21" screen that had the best colour rendition, working on PS5.5 and being amazed natural the colours are. Now to get the same colour rendition you need to spend upwards of £1000 and have to use hoods like i do on my NEC PA301W-BK-SV.

Agreed on the color - BUT - for some reason on a CRT PC monitor no matter what I did with the refresh rate or herz I could always see the flicker especially in the corners. I often have the same problem with low quality florescent tubes. It gives you a raging headache after a while- so I thank goodness for LCD's almost every day.

More
25 Nov 2011 04:05 #25512 by five_red
Replied by five_red on topic Re: new site feature?

fats wrote: One thing i like about the Joomla set up is that it's 99% W3C compliant, and works quite well with screen-readers and other adaptions for disabled users.

If it helps, I wouldn't bother too much about W3C compliance; the only thing W3C validation guarantees is that your site validates against W3C standards. Certainly it doesn't promise accessibility (despite what countless government organisations tell you). It's nice as a rough guide, but nothing more. :)

True story: my day job involves the semantic web; recently I got an email from a certain government organisation panicking because a semantic web prototype I'd helped them with a bit didn't validate against W3C. Had to write a diplomatic email back explaining that, given the prototype used semantic markup, it might validate against some future W3C standard, but sure as hell wouldn't validate against a current one! :)

More
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds