Amount

Front page

18 Aug 2012 03:18 #28171 by inactive
Front page was created by inactive
Okay, so I noticed that the "tickers" on the front page that show the five most recent stories and five most recently active threads have changed.

Here is my two cents, for what it's worth: I would rather have more than five items show up than to have more fluff on the five items that do show up. Showing the first three lines of the stories isn't worth much because it's usually just a repeat of the title and maybe a few words from the first sentence. Since that takes up about three times as much space as the title alone, I would rather have more items in the list (maybe the last ten stories with the author name as well as the title).

Similarly for the most recently active topics. I don't particularly care about the avatar of the person who most recently commented, I would rather have more items show up in the list, since being on the front page tends to keep threads active and I would rather have more active threads than not.

I don't know if that's possible with the current set up, but that's what I think.

- GeekSeven

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• inactive
  • inactive's Avatar Topic Author
  • Legend of SWM
  • Legend of SWM
More
18 Aug 2012 07:39 #28172 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Front page
thanks for the feedback, while the site is quiet I thought it would be good to see what new features the new storybank software has, i agree that the showing the first 3 lines is that useful but there are a number of options that i looking at.

The avatar issue on the forum module is something else that I’m looking at, it's all about seeing what can be done to make the site better.

i'll increase the number of forum threads from 5 to 10 while i have the space.

fats

More
18 Aug 2012 08:37 #28173 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Front page
I agree with G7 on the layout, also I think that having the Tag cloud and the images at the bottom of the page is counterintuitive. Maybe having them on a sidebar ill work better.

More
18 Aug 2012 19:21 #28176 by www1969
Replied by www1969 on topic Front page
I run a board or two, and whenever we make software changes that our members complain about, we just tell them they'll get used to the new look, and 99 times out of 100, they do. Having said that, I have to agree that right now, what's on the top of the front page strikes me as terribly awkward and cluttered. Personally, I too much preferred the simple title lines for both stories and forum posts.

More
18 Aug 2012 19:36 #28177 by fats
how does the page look now.

fats

More
18 Aug 2012 20:01 #28178 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Front page

fats wrote: how does the page look now.

fats

I think there's more useful stuff at the top, so I like it.

I'm not sure the "Me, Myself, and I" section needs to be quite so prominent, since I rarely use it. But others may disagree with me, which is fine. Moving it down and to the left might make a little more width for the "Latest from the forums" section so that long titles do not wrap.

When Chrome is maximized on my laptop, it gives a usable area of around 1200 by 700 pixels, which looks like this:

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Moving the "Me Myself and I" perhaps below the tag cloud would give a little more horizontal room for the tickers and perhaps allow the top of the blog post to show. Of course, I don't know how typical my display is.

- GeekSeven

• inactive
  • Legend of SWM
  • Legend of SWM
More
18 Aug 2012 20:05 #28179 by fats
made the quick change, tell me what you think.

fats

More
18 Aug 2012 20:18 #28180 by njae
Replied by njae on topic Front page
Since I'm working on a higher resolution (1920*1080) things look a bit different from my perspective. I think the smaller "Me myself and I" section is still fine in the top left corner with the tags right under them. For broader resolutions like mine it might also be possible to get the members gallery into the top right corner.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: inactive

More
18 Aug 2012 20:18 #28181 by inactive

fats wrote: made the quick change, tell me what you think.

fats

Well, I like it. :lol:

- GeekSeven

• inactive
  • Legend of SWM
  • Legend of SWM
More
18 Aug 2012 22:59 #28182 by inactive

njae wrote: Since I'm working on a higher resolution (1920*1080) things look a bit different from my perspective. I think the smaller "Me myself and I" section is still fine in the top left corner with the tags right under them. For broader resolutions like mine it might also be possible to get the members gallery into the top right corner.

Yeah, maybe the "Me Myself and I" belongs on the top row after all. It makes it more obvious where to go to log in.

- GeekSeven

• inactive
  • Legend of SWM
  • Legend of SWM
More
19 Aug 2012 00:31 #28184 by Jabbrwock
Replied by Jabbrwock on topic Front page
Shortly before the site closed down for the virus cleaning, the site front page changed. IMHO, right before that change, the site front page was perfect. Everything I really wanted to see was up top, stuff I only occasionally wanted was less prominent. In particular, I miss the random-ish selection of images near the top.

That said, the current front page is quite nice as well. I like having more recent threads displayed instead of having a few lines about each one, and if the images are not at the top, they are at least close to it.

More
19 Aug 2012 02:10 #28185 by Rip Harden
Replied by Rip Harden on topic Front page
While the home page looks good as is, I've always wondered about the usefulness of the tag cloud measured against the space it uses. True, it gives a clue to new readers what the site contains, I'm unaware of any established protocol on how a story should be tagged (eg if you're like me and you forget, or just stick to the usual 'superstrength' etc, it gives it less utility).

Just an opinion :unsure:

"Man can believe the impossible, but can never believe the improbable." - Oscar Wilde
The following user(s) said Thank You: njae

More
19 Aug 2012 08:15 #28186 by njae
Replied by njae on topic Front page

Rip Harden wrote: While the home page looks good as is, I've always wondered about the usefulness of the tag cloud measured against the space it uses. True, it gives a clue to new readers what the site contains, I'm unaware of any established protocol on how a story should be tagged (eg if you're like me and you forget, or just stick to the usual 'superstrength' etc, it gives it less utility).

Just an opinion :unsure:

Yeah the usefulness of the tag cloud is rather vague right now but that's because most stories aren't tagged at all. The fact that they can't be added via the front end submission (the fields are there, but they don't work the way they're supposed to) doesn't help here at all. I bypassed this problem by writing the tags I wanted to the start of the story and have fats add them via the backend and I suggest everybody to do same for new stories. Since fats was so nice to give me backend access, I'll see what I can do when it comes to adding new tags to already posted stories. So if anybody wants certain tags for his story, just send me a PM and I'll add them.

As for rules about which tags to use, there aren't any official ones. The story length, character and superpower-related tags like super strength, invulnerability, flight etc don't need much of an explanation. Tags like 'One-' 'Series' have to be decided by the author, only he knows if he wants to continue a story.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rip Harden

More
Time to create page: 0.061 seconds