Amount

White or Black

Poll: What colour scheme do you want? (was ended 0000-00-00 00:00:00)

White
14 70%
Black
5 25%
something else (please reply)
1 5%
Total number of voters: 20 ( gotham_knight, Grayface, algae2k, Skye, marcoasalazarm ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll
31 Jul 2014 14:40 #37575 by fats
White or Black was created by fats
hi all,

I'm putting in place a poll to get people's view on a whether or not the site background should be white or black.

I've been playing around with the theme and i now feel confident in changing the theme to a different colour scheme.

Please vote and if there is something that you want to suggest please reply below.

Fats

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fats
  • fats's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
31 Jul 2014 15:11 #37577 by berkshirelad2012
Replied by berkshirelad2012 on topic White or Black
If it ain't broke don't fix it....white means pure and good :O)

More
31 Jul 2014 15:33 #37578 by castor
Replied by castor on topic White or Black
black on white is a lot easier to read then white on black. Especially for a site that has 100,000 word stories that would get tiresome on the eyes pretty quick.

More
31 Jul 2014 15:52 #37579 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic White or Black
As a UI designer told me a long time ago, "it's no coincidence that all books are published with black text on white paper." While it might not be "all", his point always resonated with me. Black on white!

ElF

More
31 Jul 2014 17:12 - 31 Jul 2014 17:14 #37581 by castor
I will also comment that the poll is a little tricky to follow-does white mean white text, or white background with black text?
Last edit: 31 Jul 2014 17:14 by castor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jabbrwock

More
31 Jul 2014 18:39 #37582 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic White or Black
Actually, as far as books go, the historical processes for making paper tended to produce white or sepia tones. Bleaching was use to make a uniform color. Also, black inks were easy to make, starting with ash and evolving from there. So the "technology" favored black on white-ish/sepia for so long it became the norm.

That said, there are some who argue persuasively that we can and should improve on that ancient technology with computer displays, but I've tried everything over the years, and have never found anything kinder to my eyes than slightly off-white (not as much as sepia) with black letters and larger than average font styles.

The only thing closest were the old monochrome monitors (late 80's) that were black with amber characters. That was really easy on my eyes, but when I try to recreate that today, I don't find it as compelling any more and just go back to black on white background.

Of course, I'm a well-known nut in that I like Comics Sans MS font the best. It's easy on my eyes and it's somehow appropriate for this genre. So what does that tell you?

lfan wrote: As a UI designer told me a long time ago, "it's no coincidence that all books are published with black text on white paper." While it might not be "all", his point always resonated with me. Black on white!

ElF

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
31 Jul 2014 19:58 #37583 by fats
Replied by fats on topic White or Black

castor wrote: I will also comment that the poll is a little tricky to follow-does white mean white text, or white background with black text?

The text colour would be changed to match the new theme, so black text on a white background or white text on a black background.

fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
31 Jul 2014 20:42 #37584 by Jabbrwock
Replied by Jabbrwock on topic White or Black

fats wrote:

castor wrote: I will also comment that the poll is a little tricky to follow-does white mean white text, or white background with black text?

The text colour would be changed to match the new theme, so black text on a white background or white text on a black background.

fats

Ugh. So many people voting for white text on a black background? When I saw that the comments were mostly in favor of black text on white, I figured it would win.

Dare I hope that the confusion has misled people into voting for the opposite of the option they really wanted? Because I'm really not looking forward to white on black.

More
31 Jul 2014 20:57 #37585 by castor

Jabbrwock wrote:

fats wrote:

fats

Ugh. So many people voting for white text on a black background? When I saw that the comments were mostly in favor of black text on white, I figured it would win.

Dare I hope that the confusion has misled people into voting for the opposite of the option they really wanted? Because I'm really not looking forward to white on black.

Yeah if thats the case i would like to take back my vote-this is confusing.

Really it should be:

White text on black background

Black text on white Background.

More
31 Jul 2014 21:44 #37586 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic White or Black
Now I'm confused too. My vote for White was black for text on white background. But I can see how someone else may have seen it the other way.

castor wrote:

Jabbrwock wrote:

fats wrote:

fats

Yeah if thats the case i would like to take back my vote-this is confusing.

Really it should be:

White text on black background

Black text on white Background.

• shadar
More
01 Aug 2014 02:02 #37588 by oldHarmonyMotion
Replied by oldHarmonyMotion on topic White or Black
Black background, bright text.

The difference between books and screens is that when you read a book, you are not constantly staring into a light bulb.

• oldHarmonyMotion
More
01 Aug 2014 06:39 #37589 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic White or Black
Put me down for black text on white background.
The following user(s) said Thank You: slim36

More
04 Aug 2014 03:31 #37604 by oldHarmonyMotion
Replied by oldHarmonyMotion on topic White or Black
Oh yeah, I did request a long time ago for a toggle-able mode, perhaps called Good and Evil mode :P

• oldHarmonyMotion
More
04 Aug 2014 04:32 - 04 Aug 2014 04:34 #37605 by Lucent
1. My vote is dark text on a light back ground. So black on white (or black on very pale gray).

(On most screens in most environments white text on a black background gets painful on the eyes.)

2. Fats, would you consider extra spacing between lines (1.5 spacing), to make long stories more readable?
Last edit: 04 Aug 2014 04:34 by Lucent. Reason: clarifying how bad white on black would be

More
04 Aug 2014 05:20 #37606 by shadar
I would second the 1.5 line spacing for my old eyes.

TranslucentOne wrote: 1. My vote is dark text on a light back ground. So black on white (or black on very pale gray).

(On most screens in most environments white text on a black background gets painful on the eyes.)

2. Fats, would you consider extra spacing between lines (1.5 spacing), to make long stories more readable?

• shadar
More
04 Aug 2014 11:44 #37608 by fats
I can make changes to the CSS files dealing with the stories to add 1.5 line spacing, i need to talk to woodclaw to see how he has formatted the stories and take it from there.

any other typographic elements you want me to look at.

Fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds