Amount

Almost 2000

05 Feb 2007 01:00 #8127 by angels
Almost 2000 was created by angels
Almost 2000 registered users, and it looks like almost all but 25 are lurkers. While I've been a poster child for lurker/infrequent poster, I feel like it's time to step up and add to this community. Out of 2000 people, we should never run short of contributions, be it artwork, stories, or even ideas for those who can. And like it was mentioned before, it's pretty cheap to not even thank the artists and authors for their stories. Simple encouragement - a quick 15 second message - just to keep them writing more for them and, subsequently, for you. I love this group and I'm thankful for those who put the time and effort into it and I'd like to see it continue to grow.

On an old board I used to frequent, you had to contribute something, ANYTHING, every so often just to keep your membership status. Otherwise you were out the door until you could. Admin, is this something that could be done, just to stir the creativity of those who do benefit from this board?

Just an idea...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• angels
  • angels's Avatar Topic Author
More
05 Feb 2007 15:51 #8147 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Almost 2000
Thanks for the suggestion, angels. Forcing members to contribute is something we've talked about in the past, but it does slightly fly in the face of our free-and-easy philosophy at SWM.

That said, we'd be very interested in hearing other forummer's views on this... Maybe even a lurker or two could sprint out of the shadows for a second to tell us why it's not a good idea...

More
06 Feb 2007 12:13 #8189 by somat
Replied by somat on topic Re: Almost 2000
what about creating a subforum for "newbies"? I believe if people like me could be sure not to receive some bad ass comment, or have to live in fear of getting overrolled, by some old and therefore more selfconscious user/writer, more people would make themselves heard..

somat

More
06 Feb 2007 19:00 #8208 by Grayface
Replied by Grayface on topic Re: Almost 2000

what about creating a subforum for "newbies"? I believe if people like me could be sure not to receive some bad ass comment, or have to live in fear of getting overrolled, by some old and therefore more selfconscious user/writer, more people would make themselves heard..

somat

Just do what I do and don't worry about getting snide, rude or "bad ass comments" comments. As long as what you have to say is not snide, rude, bad ass. you should not worry about getting such comments in return (I cant see any of the non-newbs doing something like that out of spite anyhow), and if you do get a comment you think is out of place, well f'em, chances are other people can see it's out of place to.
Remember just because someone has a high post count doesn't mean to much if all there post are: lol!1!!!!1!!!11. Quality* not quantity will get you you respect

*and by Quality I don't mean grammar and spelling, that would be a bit hypocritical of me now wouldn't it, I mean that you have something useful to say to the ongoing conversations of SWM!

More
06 Feb 2007 22:23 #8224 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Re: Almost 2000
Based on my experiences with the AU for 12 years or so, I've found the norm in this genre is for the lurkers to outnumber contributors by up to 100x. So you are doing OK with 25 active and 2000 total members.

Most people don't have time or creativity to create original content. And frankly, not everyone can be an artist or author even if they want to be. A lot of people like to browse. When you find that 1 in a 100 who are so into it that they want to give something back, then let's encourage them.

On that note, I think it would be more important to grow the 25 active to 30 or so. Just 5 more active contributors. So Somat's point, perhaps a forum where new contributors can put their first contribution up and get support and encouragement from us all. First attempts at creating content are always rough.

I've seen a lot of people turn into great contributors after starting off rough. The trick is not to measure the first few offerings against the more accomplished content creators, but to look for that spark of excitement and fan it into a real fire.

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
07 Feb 2007 03:39 #8230 by Sarge395
Replied by Sarge395 on topic Re: Almost 2000
Lurkers rock. The more the merrier. I doubt they chew up much in the realm of resources/bandwidth. Some of them talk in other forums or subscribe to the pay sites that are pimped here. More pay sites mean there is more demand and interest. It kind of feeds itself as it builds. However there is a limit as to what the market/fetish can hold. I don't think we've seen that limit anywhere close yet.

• Sarge395
More
08 Feb 2007 00:35 #8243 by cha0tic
Replied by cha0tic on topic Agree with the Sarge
There's all sorts of potential untapped sources of content out there. I know of at least one potential new source of pictures, etc., which I've mentioned in another forum area of this site so I won't discuss that again here :wink:

I've been debating writing, and have a character idea, but like a lot of people here, I suspect, making the time to write is difficult. Not an excuse, but reality for me.

Someday I'll start that up, but for now I admit I do lurk, only contribute periodically, but I do enjoy the genre. Very happy to have stumbled onto ubergirls.org a couple of years ago or so.

Hey, and since I agree credit is due, I think anyone that submits a story or a piece of visual artwork deserves a thank you. It's more than I've done so far.

More
08 Feb 2007 17:00 #8256 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Almost 2000
We've set up a new topic, entitled "New and Aspiring Artists and Writers". Find it in the "Stories, Writers and Artists" section of the forum.

admin.

More
Time to create page: 0.052 seconds