Amount

Stop - Backup

19 Dec 2011 05:03 #25724 by Random321
Stop - Backup was created by Random321
<Sigh> What a disaster. <Sniffle>. Everyone - stop what you are doing and backup all your data on your hard drives there is something in the air it seems. I had one of those... "What's that strange clicking noise?! Oh <expletive deleted>" moments Thursday! By the time I had my external pluged in half my RAID0 was toast. Now you might be saying - "RAID0? How stupid!" Considering I coverted my Raid1 to RAID0 only a month ago for the very nice performance boost I would have to agree. Also stupid was not having done a full backup since September. So - once again - stop what you are doing right now and check your backup status. <This public service message brought to you by PSW>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Random321
  • Random321's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
19 Dec 2011 05:06 #25725 by Helstar
Replied by Helstar on topic Re: Stop - Backup
Ouch ... :(

More
19 Dec 2011 05:26 #25726 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Re: Stop - Backup
Ouch. I remember my last foray with Raid 0 - halves your mean time to catastrophic failure. Luckily that was just my work computer, so nothing of value was lost. :S

- GeekSeven

More
19 Dec 2011 08:34 #25727 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Re: Stop - Backup
RAID 0 is only good if you are using SSD drives as there is no moving parts so low chance of data loss due to HDD failure, i have 6 OCZ Vertex 3 120GB in a RAID 10 configuration on the system that i use to develop SWM on as well as doing my general day to day work.

Fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 Dec 2011 09:02 #25728 by Random321
Replied by Random321 on topic Re: Stop - Backup
Yea - I have several servers at work that use a Raid5 configuration and really should know better.

The reliability of the newer solid state drives will be interesting - I agree fats. However, plenty of photographers have had heart attacks after C-Flash cards have died on them during weddings – hence high end cameras that write to two different cards at the same time.

I got this laptop too soon for two SS-Drives to be affordable. I thought I was cutting edge dropping the DVD drive bay and going with a second drive – now I don’t feel so smart. Haha. Well – back to re-editing.

• Random321
  • Random321's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
20 Dec 2011 09:35 #25739 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Re: Stop - Backup
If memory serves me right, Kodak used to have a pretty good back up solution!

More
Time to create page: 0.051 seconds