Amount

Star Trek

16 Apr 2013 23:31 #31144 by d_k_c
Star Trek was created by d_k_c

Any one else looking forward to this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• d_k_c
  • d_k_c's Avatar Topic Author
More
16 Apr 2013 23:41 #31145 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Star Trek
Yes and no.

I'm a bit of a trekker, so I really want to see where they're going with this one. The first reboot movie movie was a very mixed bag for me. The acting was actually pretty good and there were so many references that I enjoyed, but I couldn't get myself into the new style. For a Trek movie there was too much action and noise.

More
17 Apr 2013 00:16 #31146 by Jabbrwock
Replied by Jabbrwock on topic Star Trek

Anon wrote: Yes and no.

I'm a bit of a trekker, so I really want to see where they're going with this one. The first reboot movie movie was a very mixed bag for me. The acting was actually pretty good and there were so many references that I enjoyed, but I couldn't get myself into the new style. For a Trek movie there was too much action and noise.

I found it an enjoyable movie, but it didn't feel particularly "Star Trek" to me, even though I knew all the characters. As you said, too much action, not enough sense of wonder. While I wouldn't want any Star Trek movie to again be like the first motion picture, which was basically a TV episode padded out to 2 hours length, there are still thematic differences between Star Trek and a standard science fiction action movie, and the reboot felt too much like an action movie.

Still, better Star Trek as an action movie than no Star Trek movie at all, IMHO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Woodclaw, Ravens_ghost

More
17 Apr 2013 00:46 #31147 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic Star Trek
Boo to you thy say!

Did you just say that you didn’t like the new Star Trek because it was action packed and awesome!?

The thing is, I don’t think Abrahms is a Star Trek fan, I think he was a Wrath of Kahn fan…And he’s modelling every movie he does after that movie…..Which is totally fine by me

• d_k_c
More
17 Apr 2013 03:01 #31149 by Random321
Replied by Random321 on topic Star Trek
Huh - I had not seen this yet. Fun. I’m looking forward to it. I am a big Khan fan so I hope they don't blow his sinister bend.

I for one liked the first movie in the reboot series and also the first Kirk movie. I agree it's not classic "Trek." TOS was camp fun to me. Generations was smart writing. DS9 was okay – but I was a huge B5 fan at the time. Voyager I didn’t care for the star fleet officers. Enterprise was over sexed and lame for my taste so I stopped watching it. I’ve since started watching it on Hulu and like it better this time around.

More
17 Apr 2013 09:11 #31150 by Woodclaw

d_k_c wrote: Boo to you thy say!

Did you just say that you didn’t like the new Star Trek because it was action packed and awesome!?

The thing is, I don’t think Abrahms is a Star Trek fan, I think he was a Wrath of Kahn fan…And he’s modelling every movie he does after that movie…..Which is totally fine by me

I admit I haven't considered this perspective. My point was that the way Abrahms handled the story reminded me a lot more of Aliens, rather than Star Trek. Even in "Wrath of Kahn" ro "First Contact" (arguably the most action oriented Trek movies) there was a different rythm, a different way of handling action that I considered typical to the Trek style.

More
17 Apr 2013 13:22 #31154 by d_k_c
Your dead on Anon....But wasn't Aliens a great movie? But I see what your saying....Less story, More explosions....a fair point

• d_k_c
More
17 Apr 2013 14:36 #31155 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic Star Trek
I've seen every episode of Star Trek TOS, Next Generation, DS9, and Voyager plus all of the pre-Abrams movies and have enjoyed all of them. I have also read a number of the paperback book series (Does this make me a Trekkie?). I have not seen any episodes of Enterprise though...

Having said that, I was more than a little disappointed in the first Star Trek reboot that they basically said: "Yeah, that entire Star Trek history, from Kirk, Spock, and McCoy to Picard, Sisko, and Janeaway, it never happened. Too bad. We are starting over." Now I know they had to do something to appeal to the younger generation, but did they really have to wipe that all out?

Don't get me wrong, it was a fun action movie but, as I watched it, I couldn't help thinking about all the stuff that has now never happened. I suppose they could explain it away as some "alternate universe" or something but my guess is that they won't.

More
17 Apr 2013 15:36 #31156 by d_k_c
JDRock….I think that qualifies you as trekie.

Don’t get me wrong….There have been some brilliant writers on Star Trek. IMO Some of the best Star trek stories ever told are those on DS9…….But then there are the writers go off the deep end. And there are so many of them.

Voyager blasting away Borg Cubes as if they were multi colored bugs from the game GALAGA?

Sisko becoming a worm hole alien and the war ends as if Peter Jackson had suggested it? Yeah you know….LOTR Return of the King….And then the ghost army shows up and wins the day! That’s not how that happened Jackson!…cough…sorry im a lil bitter.

And Enterprise’s journey into the WTF? Yeah sure…You got a super hot Vulcan…But this shit makes no sense!

So for all the creative and brilliant writing in Star Trek there has been enough WTF episodes that I’m okay with them scraping everything….Gonzo! Cause most of the writers on that show…I swear to god get all their ideas from amateur stories they read on sites like these.

“And then Infinity Girl shows up and destroys the Enterprise!”

Actually…..on Second thought…..that might work

• d_k_c
More
17 Apr 2013 15:53 #31157 by Agent00Soul
Replied by Agent00Soul on topic Star Trek
All good points! I'm looking forward no matter what. Abrams seems like the only guy who took the art direction of TOS seriously in the entire franchise and that's one of my favorite things.

Having said that, when I watch reruns of all the old series and movies, I do get a bit said that all these characters and important events that we've grown to love were simply wiped out of existence.

More
17 Apr 2013 16:30 #31159 by lojack
Replied by lojack on topic Star Trek
Makes me wonder what the mood here will be after the first Abrams Star Wars comes out. :laugh:

I'll grant you that it was a bit more action tuned than regular Trek faire, but the Filmation series did set a rather high bar. :) As to the universe, here's how I treat it- just like the world of comics. DC with Earth-1, Earth-2... Marvel with Earth 616, Earth zombies, Earth ultimates. (My shame in not knowing the numbers with those universes is great, but not so great I'm going to go dig up the info...) The events are in a parallel one, where the history happened in this manner rather than what happened as I grew up. I don't even think they air the original episodes except a local channel at 3 AM on Saturday, so not really a slot any new viewer is likely to stumble upon. And the follow up series have some sporadic syndication airings, but not reliable.

So this is all a current generation is likely to get, and will have to be led to the decades old repository of episode history.

Oh, note about B5- that series was great! It just needed a bigger budget. (Some of the sets and FX shots really could have used it indeed)

More
17 Apr 2013 16:30 #31160 by Woodclaw

d_k_c wrote: JDRock….I think that qualifies you as trekie.

Don’t get me wrong….There have been some brilliant writers on Star Trek. IMO Some of the best Star trek stories ever told are those on DS9…….But then there are the writers go off the deep end. And there are so many of them.

Voyager blasting away Borg Cubes as if they were multi colored bugs from the game GALAGA?

Sisko becoming a worm hole alien and the war ends as if Peter Jackson had suggested it? Yeah you know….LOTR Return of the King….And then the ghost army shows up and wins the day! That’s not how that happened Jackson!…cough…sorry im a lil bitter.

And Enterprise’s journey into the WTF? Yeah sure…You got a super hot Vulcan…But this shit makes no sense!

So for all the creative and brilliant writing in Star Trek there has been enough WTF episodes that I’m okay with them scraping everything….Gonzo! Cause most of the writers on that show…I swear to god get all their ideas from amateur stories they read on sites like these.

That is actually more true than you think. Starting with the fourth or fifth season of TNG the authors started using suggestions and, sometimes, even entire subjects written by fans. I remember an article for a couple of decades ago were one of the author joked about their classification system for those suggestion, among the labels there were:
  • Pinocchio syndrome (any episode focused on Data)
  • Aedipus (any episode focused Wesley, usually one cutting him down to size)
  • Degrees of separation (episodes featuring the Enterprise D separation mechanism)
  • Blood and vengeage (Klingon stuff)

Well, you get the idea.

Also, I know people will kill me for this, but I actually enjoyed Enterprise a lot. The third season was an interesting concept, although the execution was very wonky and the final season wasn't that good either.

d_k_c wrote: “And then Infinity Girl shows up and destroys the Enterprise!”

Actually…..on Second thought…..that might work

Do you remeber Starla bu Moxie, it had some Trek based installments.

More
17 Apr 2013 20:57 #31163 by Random321
Replied by Random321 on topic Star Trek
I don't mean to hijack - but since the thread already has a trailer I thought I would point out the new superman trailer:

www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2013/...vie-trailer/2089651/

I'm withholding judgment for now except to say it looks almost art-house in some of the shots.

More
17 Apr 2013 21:28 #31165 by d_k_c
Another movie I'm really excited about. It looks awsome, and once again the director is using refernces from Superman 2 to build a foundation for this new movie.

I think this is going to be great

Now...The big question is..How do we get the world to get this excited about a Supergirl movie?

• d_k_c
More
17 Apr 2013 21:30 #31166 by d_k_c
Ps. Thanks for posting this....I've never seen this trailer before

• d_k_c
More
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds