Amount

WARNING.. Do not buy

09 Mar 2014 23:48 #35755 by fats
WARNING.. Do not buy was created by fats
hi all,

I have to post this as it's serious enough that it deserves posting.

It was on a water bottle.

Fats

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Grayface, Raa, Dru1076, SCOTT R, Markiehoe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fats
  • fats's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 Mar 2014 00:13 #35756 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic WARNING.. Do not buy
What's really bad is that every government on the planet still allows dihydrogen monoxide to be sold in stores, even to children. Fortunately it's hard to order on-line, especially in volume, so that's something.

What amazes me is that after all the warnings and dire medical consequences that have been documented, you'd think that someone would act. Uncounted tens of thousand of people will die from overdoses next year, and with Global Warming, it's going to get worse.

This is one of the few chemicals that will kill you with both an overdose as well as an underdose.

Insanity.

Write your legislator or MP and demand action. Now.

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Raa, Dru1076, fats, SCOTT R

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
10 Mar 2014 00:27 #35757 by fats
Replied by fats on topic WARNING.. Do not buy
here are the effects of this terrible substance.

Dihydrogen monoxide:
  • is called "hydroxyl acid", the substance is the major component of acid rain.
  • contributes to the "greenhouse effect".
  • may cause severe burns.
  • is fatal if inhaled.
  • contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
  • accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
  • may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
  • has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.

Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:
  • as an industrial solvent and coolant.
  • in nuclear power plants.
  • in the production of Styrofoam.
  • as a fire retardant.
  • in many forms of cruel animal research.
  • in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, product remains contaminated by this chemical.
  • as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.

lets ban DHMO

Fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, Raa, Dru1076, SCOTT R, Markiehoe

• fats
  • fats's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 Mar 2014 04:14 - 10 Mar 2014 04:17 #35761 by shadar
Don't forget that the US government used it to torture people, which kicked off all kinds of protests and protestations a few years ago

It also kills people while they are minding their own business and just driving their cars, especially in winter.

There are many junkies, especially in the high mountains, who push the drug. I've known people who have become so addicted that they quit their jobs and moved to the mountains to live in squalor so they can consume it all day, especially in winter. Some of them overdose and die, especially on crystal dihydrogen monoxide. Many places have trained dogs who try to save them, but often they can't. The crystal version is the worst.

Shadar

fats wrote: here are the effects of this terrible substance.

Dihydrogen monoxide:

• is called "hydroxyl acid", the substance is the major component of acid rain.
  • contributes to the "greenhouse effect".
  • may cause severe burns.
  • is fatal if inhaled.
  • contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
  • accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
  • may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
  • has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.

Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:
  • as an industrial solvent and coolant.
  • in nuclear power plants.
  • in the production of Styrofoam.
  • as a fire retardant.
  • in many forms of cruel animal research.
  • in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, product remains contaminated by this chemical.
  • as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.

lets ban DHMO

Fats

Last edit: 10 Mar 2014 04:17 by shadar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dru1076, SCOTT R

• shadar
More
10 Mar 2014 07:02 - 10 Mar 2014 07:13 #35763 by SCOTT R
Replied by SCOTT R on topic WARNING.. Do not buy
YIKES!! I JUST SHOWERED IN THAT CRAP!! I'M A GONER!!! I LEAVE ALL MY WORLDLY GOODS TO SWM!!

HEY! Now I'm a senior everybody! I'm a senior!
Last edit: 10 Mar 2014 07:13 by SCOTT R.

More
10 Mar 2014 09:19 #35764 by Raa
Replied by Raa on topic WARNING.. Do not buy
Sadly, I'm addicted to the stuff.

More
10 Mar 2014 10:09 - 10 Mar 2014 10:10 #35765 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic WARNING.. Do not buy
Fats I'm going to give you a lot of negative kharma for digging this news out of the its tomb :P
Last edit: 10 Mar 2014 10:10 by Woodclaw.

More
10 Mar 2014 11:18 #35766 by SCOTT R
Replied by SCOTT R on topic WARNING.. Do not buy
Hey Dru, getting rid of this terrible substance would be a great reason for the mighty O-Girl to take action! The oceans, lakes and rivers are saturated with this junk!

More
10 Mar 2014 12:02 #35767 by Dru1076
Replied by Dru1076 on topic WARNING.. Do not buy
Careful Scott...she might hear you...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ravens_ghost, SCOTT R

More
10 Mar 2014 13:15 #35768 by Woodclaw

Dru1076 wrote: Careful Scott...she might hear you...

I'm scared :unsure:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dru1076

More
10 Mar 2014 18:09 #35770 by shadar
For some bizarre (and admittedly adolescent) reason, these dihydrogen monoxide discussions are always amusing, especially when we try to invent new dangers.

I had the privilege once of participating in a thread where a couple people started to really freak out after not recognizing the chemical name for H20. That was hilarious beyond belief as we were able to keep them freaking out for days before someone spoiled the fun. One even wrote a letter to his congressman. But that was back when the trope was fairly new. Pretty hard to find anyone that gullible now, but I I'll never stop trying.

Obviously not in this forum.

But based on the bizarre chain letters that I see circulating (and the myths on Snopes that are always getting busted) there are still people out there who are so naive, anti-scientific, so wrapped up in conspiracies and just ignorant that they might bite. The Onion and a few other parody news sites frequently get referenced by those chain letters and reported as "hidden truths", so there is hope.

The recent story about 37 deaths from Cannabis overdoses the week after Colorado legalization and sale was incredibly hilarious, especially for a daily toker like me. A high government official in Sweden bought it, as well as a number of police officials in the US, one of whom even referenced the bogus story when testifying before Congress. Just proves there are still suckers who will freak out over anything that confirms their fears without first engaging their brain.

If you find ignorance to be a source of humor, then there is a seemingly endless supply of comedians out there to entertain us.

Shadar

• shadar
More
10 Mar 2014 20:23 #35771 by Woodclaw

shadar wrote: For some bizarre (and admittedly adolescent) reason, these dihydrogen monoxide discussions are always amusing, especially when we try to invent new dangers.

I had the privilege once of participating in a thread where a couple people started to really freak out after not recognizing the chemical name for H20. That was hilarious beyond belief as we were able to keep them freaking out for days before someone spoiled the fun. One even wrote a letter to his congressman. But that was back when the trope was fairly new. Pretty hard to find anyone that gullible now, but I I'll never stop trying.

Obviously not in this forum.

But based on the bizarre chain letters that I see circulating (and the myths on Snopes that are always getting busted) there are still people out there who are so naive, anti-scientific, so wrapped up in conspiracies and just ignorant that they might bite. The Onion and a few other parody news sites frequently get referenced by those chain letters and reported as "hidden truths", so there is hope.

The recent story about 37 deaths from Cannabis overdoses the week after Colorado legalization and sale was incredibly hilarious, especially for a daily toker like me. A high government official in Sweden bought it, as well as a number of police officials in the US, one of whom even referenced the bogus story when testifying before Congress. Just proves there are still suckers who will freak out over anything that confirms their fears without first engaging their brain.

If you find ignorance to be a source of humor, then there is a seemingly endless supply of comedians out there to entertain us.

Shadar

Just for the sake of comparison there are people sitting in the Italian parliament right now that are convinced about chemical trails conspiracy and have tried to put it on agenda.
No.
I wish I was kidding. :(

More
10 Mar 2014 20:52 #35772 by shadar
Hey, those trails are made of crystalline dihydrogen monoxide. That's a chemical. So they really are chemtrails.

If the Italians outlaw them, then their citizens can take a donkey cart to France or Switzerland and get on a jet plane there, as long as it doesn't fly over Italy.

Or even better, they could legislate that the physics for the combustion of kerosene and oxygen in Italy must be changed so as to eliminate the dihydrogen monoxide residue. The Italians have some experience in these matters. Galileo comes to mind.

Shadar

Woodclaw wrote:

shadar wrote: For some bizarre (and admittedly adolescent) reason, these dihydrogen monoxide discussions are always amusing, especially when we try to invent new dangers.

Shadar

Just for the sake of comparison there are people sitting in the Italian parliament right now that are convinced about chemical trails conspiracy and have tried to put it on agenda.
No.
I wish I was kidding. :(

• shadar
More
11 Mar 2014 19:29 - 11 Mar 2014 19:31 #35779 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic WARNING.. Do not buy
:ohmy:
Last edit: 11 Mar 2014 19:31 by d_k_c.

More
11 Mar 2014 21:00 #35784 by Woodclaw

d_k_c wrote: :ohmy:

Nice to see you again on this forum DKC. :)

More
12 Mar 2014 04:22 #35789 by jj_manus
Replied by jj_manus on topic WARNING.. Do not buy
A slightly different twist on this, and this time it's not funny:

In a lot of U.S. states, especially California, laws and even the state constitution can be changed by popular vote, without the approval of the legislature or governor. You just have to get your petition onto the ballot. But in order to put at least some brakes on every nut case getting his wear-the-underpants-on-the-outside petition on the ballot, you have to get a fair number of signatures first. This video shows how hard that is.

(You can tell I don't like this system, but I'm not going to get into a debate about it here. This forum topic just reminded me of the video and I wanted to share.)

- Jay

More
12 Mar 2014 07:54 #35791 by shadar
It's not as bad as the video purports. Before you can gather signatures, the Attorney General has to agree that the issue and language aren't deceptive, among other things. This is a lousy example as it would never pass that review.

And even if it did, it has to be approved by voters after they have been inundated with ads and media articles about it. Everyone will know its about water before it gets voted on.

Direct democracy works when representative democracy becomes too corrupt.

jj_manus wrote: A slightly different twist on this, and this time it's not funny:

In a lot of U.S. states, especially California, laws and even the state constitution can be changed by popular vote, without the approval of the legislature or governor. You just have to get your petition onto the ballot. But in order to put at least some brakes on every nut case getting his wear-the-underpants-on-the-outside petition on the ballot, you have to get a fair number of signatures first. This video shows how hard that is.

(You can tell I don't like this system, but I'm not going to get into a debate about it here. This forum topic just reminded me of the video and I wanted to share.)

- Jay

• shadar
More
12 Mar 2014 10:55 - 12 Mar 2014 10:57 #35794 by Dru1076
Replied by Dru1076 on topic WARNING.. Do not buy
I'd just like to remind everyone how dangerous this stuff really is...and the evidence dates back to olden-times, as captured in this early colour documentary footage:

Last edit: 12 Mar 2014 10:57 by Dru1076.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R

More
12 Mar 2014 15:04 #35797 by shadar
That was awesome... dihydrogen monoxide has always been terrifying to some people. Wicked witches, of course...

But some people have actually used it to save lives. Remember that guy named Sully?

Dru1076 wrote: I'd just like to remind everyone how dangerous this stuff really is...and the evidence dates back to olden-times, as captured in this early colour documentary footage:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dru1076

• shadar
More
12 Mar 2014 15:10 #35798 by shadar
That was awesome... dihydrogen monoxide has always been terrifying to some people. Wicked witches, of course...

But some people have actually used it to save lives. Remember that guy named Sully?

Dru1076 wrote: I'd just like to remind everyone how dangerous this stuff really is...and the evidence dates back to olden-times, as captured in this early colour documentary footage:

• shadar
More
15 Mar 2014 05:33 #35815 by Dr. Muttonchops
Replied by Dr. Muttonchops on topic WARNING.. Do not buy
I'll be sure to buy a bunch of them, then.

• Dr. Muttonchops
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds