Amount

Casting Call?

11 May 2014 17:28 #36431 by brantley
Casting Call? was created by brantley
Anybody here know anything about this outfit?

comicbookmencasting.com/

--Brantley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• brantley
  • brantley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
11 May 2014 18:56 #36433 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Casting Call?
Its an American reality TV show about Kevin Smith and his pals running a Comicbook shop in jersey. A cast of the colorful characters in the exotic world of comics.

Like a lot of 3rd wave reality show it has a fiarly minor component of them actually interacting with the public-in this case kind of being a quasi Antiques Roadshow of Comicbook stuff and geek culture. Its the weakest Element of a fairly weak show, especially considering that the cast isn't that big an expert on the stuff-theres a lot of "Wow!". If this is any indication like most reality shows of its ilk its more or less faked and prescreaned. (though i am not sure to the point like a lot of reality shows about business that there isn't actually a 'shop'.) The prize like most reality TV seems to be "Hey your own TV"! Take it as you ill, if you want to go on go on. From what i have seen this part is maybe 1/25 of the show at best- the most is just semi improv riffing ala inked or ice truckers anything else.

The show-well its Kevin Smith the brand the TV show. I at a point kinda lost intrest in that(though i find some of his movies okay), and especially its kind of position in pop culture as the be all and end all of nerd culture as its sometimes presented. But you know your opinions your own.

More
11 May 2014 22:12 #36434 by brantley
Replied by brantley on topic Casting Call?
Sounds as if Kevin Smith has come way down in the world since CLERKS and CHASING AMY.

--Brantley

• brantley
  • brantley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
11 May 2014 23:49 - 11 May 2014 23:51 #36436 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Casting Call?
Well depends on your defenition. Those movies where small indie hits that got a lot of attention but none of them did spectacurally. He then spent about 5 years working in hollywood on projects and scripts that never went anywhere as a golden child. A couple of lines in movies like Crimson Tide he claims are his. Then he went back to making smallish indie movies like Clerks 2 and Red state -that did okay but never set the world on fire. Hes done a lot of speaking tours and podcasts and such-and well build up a brand. Hes a personality. Hes a good writer of a certain kind of R rated Comedy....but therer not to everyones tastes and a little more mannered then modern r rated comedies. ITjust hollywood has never really given him that big as pushed as was promised.

He can tell you more about this at length.
Last edit: 11 May 2014 23:51 by castor.

More
Time to create page: 0.050 seconds