Amount

Live long and prosper

27 Feb 2015 17:33 - 27 Feb 2015 17:33 #40631 by Woodclaw
Live long and prosper was created by Woodclaw
Nothing to add to this news : Leonard Nimoy took his leave for the last journey. :(

A moment of silence.
Last edit: 27 Feb 2015 17:33 by Woodclaw.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Woodclaw
  • Woodclaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
27 Feb 2015 17:39 #40632 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Live long and prosper
Saddest day of the year.

Fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
27 Feb 2015 18:00 #40633 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Live long and prosper
He was a HUGE part of my youth.
Mr. Spock was a real person to me.
A great tribute to a great actor.

More
27 Feb 2015 19:24 - 27 Feb 2015 19:25 #40635 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Live long and prosper
Spock was always more than just a character for me as well. Since the 60's, he was the definition of a rational, intelligent man from an alien civilization. A man of the future, half human, half alien.

Star Trek of those early days was a vision for how humans might someday become a mature, non-violent and benevolent race (if only we could get off this crowded planet). Spock was the triumph of reason over raw emotion (well, most of the time).

Kirk was volatile. creative and powerful and driven and passionate, but in need of some guidance from someone wiser. When two people of opposite temperaments and training and culture could become the strongest of friends.

Together, Kirk and Spock formed a vision for a future that I still hope will someday come. When humans finally grow up.

(Don't get me started on the current Spock character -- they should have retired the name when Leonard stopped playing the role.)

The original Spock, like Leonard himself, will be remembered... always.

Shadar
Last edit: 27 Feb 2015 19:25 by shadar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
27 Feb 2015 22:11 #40644 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic Live long and prosper
Sad day indeed.

RIP Mr. Nimoy.

More
27 Feb 2015 23:12 #40645 by Agent00Soul
Replied by Agent00Soul on topic Live long and prosper
End of an era. There has never been a time where Nimoy and Spock weren't lurking somewhere in the background of my life. sad sad sad

More
28 Feb 2015 01:04 #40649 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Live long and prosper
I really don't know what to say.

Spock was an awesome character that Nimoy brought to life. But besides that, every time you saw Nimoy he seemed to be someone who made everyone else around him better. In other words, and excellent thoughtful human being, beloved by all.

More
28 Feb 2015 02:13 #40653 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Live long and prosper
Don't want to say that this is a major factor or anything- but Spock does kind of feel like an influence on the kind of stuff we do here.

He was a character with an incredible power-that at some level detached him completly from humanity, and the secret of TOS was that he was at times okay with it. He was kind of an Asshole-but enough of a human to know that he appeared as an ashole to others-and be kind of okay with it. He enjoyed his superioty his powers of logic and science and math-and that made him feel at times more superior

But at the same time he did feel, he did have emotions possitive and negative. there was a core of deep humanity and care for his crewmates, his friends the universe in general. There was a goodness to him that made his snide jokes and superioty complex barable becuse it came from a place of real humanity and feeling.

It was easily the first really complex alien character ever done on screen, and really of fiction of any kind- a great creation-that i do think you see in our stories-if the powers are diffrent and the methods seperate-the conciet remains- a soul, a bueatiful soul trying to make a way though the universe and be somewhere. To be both human and something something more. To keep struggling but also keep rising.

Hope it keeps inspiring people for decades and forever.

More
28 Feb 2015 03:58 #40655 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Live long and prosper
I was in junior high when Star Trek came out. Every Thursday night we would go over to the one guy's house in the neighborhood that had a color TV to watch it. We kept careful track of the star dates to see if there was a pattern (there was not). And many arguments started. We all agreed that warp one was the speed of light, but what was warp 2? Was It two times the speed of light or was it log rhythmic. And if it was log rhythmic , was in natural log 2.71 I think or was it base 10?

The other major argument was why star fleet would put an arrogant hot head like Kirk in charge of a Starship instead of the much cooler and smarter Spock. Nimoy played the underdog Half breed really well, which was of course, the only logical thing he could do.

I never made it to space, but I usually get up in the air once a week albeit without forward firing phasers or photon torpedoes. Thanks for the memories Mr. Spock!
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar

More
28 Feb 2015 22:39 #40671 by cbaby
Replied by cbaby on topic Live long and prosper
:(

More
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds