Amount

BatGirl has died

19 Aug 2015 09:20 #43711 by fats
BatGirl has died was created by fats
Yvonne Craig, the actress best known for playing Batgirl in the 1960s Batman TV series, has died at the age of 78.

A statement on her official website said the star had suffered from breast cancer, which had spread to her liver.

more here

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33985709

Fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fats
  • fats's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 Aug 2015 11:11 #43713 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic BatGirl has died
So Sad.
As Batgirl she always fought crime with a smile on her face.
A character point based on the Yvonne's personality.
It was this point I believe that first got me into Superheroines and Supergirls.
I always remembered that smile.
Today's modern breed of serious, dower Superheros just doesn't do it for me.
The TV character Batgirl was written to compliment Yvonne Craig.
Her high kicks we all enjoyed were written in to please the censors who frowned on women throwing punches.
Gonna have to thank the censors.

More
20 Aug 2015 05:49 #43744 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic BatGirl has died
I thought this was a good tribute from Mark Evanier, a person who was a fan as a kid, and went on to be a comic book writer (and worked in TV, including a lot of animated shows).

A nice little story. The quote at the end is priceless.

www.newsfromme.com/2015/08/19/yvonne-craig-r-i-p/

More
20 Aug 2015 17:23 #43764 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic BatGirl has died

Markiehoe wrote: Her high kicks we all enjoyed were written in to please the censors who frowned on women throwing punches.

Really? I didn't know that. I wonder what the reason was for barring women from throwing punches? Considered dreadfully unladylike in the 1960s?

As for Ms. Craig, it is sad to see her pass away. I hope her family and those she was closest to are doing okay. She will be missed.

More
20 Aug 2015 18:20 #43768 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic BatGirl has died

jdrock24 wrote:

Markiehoe wrote: Her high kicks we all enjoyed were written in to please the censors who frowned on women throwing punches.

Really? I didn't know that. I wonder what the reason was for barring women from throwing punches? Considered dreadfully unladylike in the 1960s?

As for Ms. Craig, it is sad to see her pass away. I hope her family and those she was closest to are doing okay. She will be missed.

As far as I can remember, censors tend to be worried about the weirdest things, especially when it comes to gender, sexual and/or racial issues. I don't remember where, but I read that, when they filmed the original Green Hornet show, the producered were worried that Bruce Lee looked 'too asian' for the show to get past the censorship, which is just hilarious.

On the issue of women and punching, I think it was pretty deep rooted for a while, during the silver age many female characters in comics (including Wonder Woman) seemed more fond of slaping, rather than punching. Admitedly for some characters made sense not to punch (i.e. Catwoman).

• Woodclaw
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
20 Aug 2015 18:28 #43770 by unseen_unheard
Replied by unseen_unheard on topic BatGirl has died
One thing I liked about Yvonne Craig's portrayal of Batgirl was the matter-of-factness of it all. She told the others that she was there, she was Batgirl, she was going to help, and it didn't matter what anyone else thought.

More
20 Aug 2015 20:31 #43775 by castor
Replied by castor on topic BatGirl has died

unseen_unheard wrote: One thing I liked about Yvonne Craig's portrayal of Batgirl was the matter-of-factness of it all. She told the others that she was there, she was Batgirl, she was going to help, and it didn't matter what anyone else thought.

On a show that was intended as a very silly Comedy first and a kiddie action show, somewhere in there, her ability just to be unflappable was it. Adam West was playing it straight but by playing it straight it was funny. She just played it straight, and that worked. even if she was fighting the joker, or king tut, or going to londinium she always tried, and engaged with the material at its level somewhere not making it the joke when it was on the screen but kind of effective. As been observed: The Riddler is the silliest of the major batman villians, but Frank Gorshim was the most serious of actors which made him actually kind of scary at times even if his episodes where funny. she had a similar quality in reverse. She seemed like she was in a serious show, but still somewhere

And she was striking-in that, in Star Trek, when ever she was on screen its hard to take her eyes off her- not that just she was bueatiful, but she had a way of demanding attention. She existed in the momment. and she never apologized. The concept that she was a woman wasn't worth mentioning.

She was the first i think live action superheroine, certainly in America- and a lot of her act was coppied-shows like Electra Woman and Dyna Girl, Wonder Woman, even the first Supergirl movies to a degree tried to copy her style-and she did it first and best

I have heard that she was bitter a long time about how she was treated in Hollywood and her one season of fame did to her(TWOTS quote is something that she seems like she would say)...but it was something, and she should be glad for it.

More
Time to create page: 0.053 seconds