Amount

Far From Marvelous...

23 Apr 2017 17:25 - 23 Apr 2017 17:36 #53756 by brantley
Far From Marvelous... was created by brantley
Marvel has come under fire for merchandising shirts tied in with a miniseries spinoff of the reboot of Captain America in which the hero is exposed as a Nazi:

www.snopes.com/2017/04/22/captain-america-shirts-nazi/

There are sublinks on the role of Nick Spencer, who came up with the reboot, but was himself accused of being a white supremacist because he didn't approve of a physical attack on Richard Spencer (no relation), an actual white supremacist.

That coincidentally ties in with calls by some on Facebook for true progressives to beat up anyone who supports Trump, not only because the Trumpistas deserve it, but because -- supposedly -- if they're not physically intimidated, they'll form storm trooper battalions by the millions in support of giving Trump the absolute power of a true führer.

--Brantley
Last edit: 23 Apr 2017 17:36 by brantley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: erikphandel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• brantley
  • brantley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
23 Apr 2017 18:42 #53757 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Far From Marvelous...

brantley wrote: Marvel has come under fire for merchandising shirts tied in with a miniseries spinoff of the reboot of Captain America in which the hero is exposed as a Nazi:

www.snopes.com/2017/04/22/captain-america-shirts-nazi/

There are sublinks on the role of Nick Spencer, who came up with the reboot, but was himself accused of being a white supremacist because he didn't approve of a physical attack on Richard Spencer (no relation), an actual white supremacist.

That coincidentally ties in with calls by some on Facebook for true progressives to beat up anyone who supports Trump, not only because the Trumpistas deserve it, but because -- supposedly -- if they're not physically intimidated, they'll form storm trooper battalions by the millions in support of giving Trump the absolute power of a true führer.

--Brantley

The Facebook "true progressives" plan to beat up Trump people to prevent storm trooper battalions from forming is the best possible way to ensure it. Hopefully that's just more comic book fantasies.

As far as Marvel's Hydra organization goes, that's been their generic "bad guy" forever. No reason to link it to current events. Just like SPECTRE was the generic bad guy in most of the Bond films. Tying both organizations to fascism, Nazis in particular, is just playing off the usual comic book weakness where they can't invent a new villain without recycling old ones.

Marvel is looking very tired to my eyes.

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
23 Apr 2017 19:54 - 23 Apr 2017 19:58 #53758 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Far From Marvelous...

BWAHAHAHAH Yeah that's really "progressive". /facepalm

On the subject of the whole Capt. America Secret Empire storyline, I can't really say I followed it, or necessarily think its a good idea. Capt. embodies certain ideals and this seems to fly in the face of those so to speak. However, why not explore this avenue in his history and see where it leads? If its a good enough story, why not?

Cant see why people are so wound up about it. Oh wait, maybe I can Oo

Peace.

/K
Last edit: 23 Apr 2017 19:58 by kikass2014.

More
23 Apr 2017 22:18 #53761 by shadar
I will say that the Ms. Marvel character in this new Marvel series has an interesting Tasha Yar look (for you Trek fans).

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: kikass2014

• shadar
More
23 Apr 2017 22:33 #53762 by brantley
Replied by brantley on topic Far From Marvelous...
I trust she's NOT a Nazi.

--Brantley

• brantley
  • brantley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
23 Apr 2017 22:43 - 23 Apr 2017 22:44 #53764 by shadar

brantley wrote: I trust she's NOT a Nazi.

--Brantley

Not that I've heard. She's always played a patriotic but independent character who sometimes gets a bit crazy, what with the Kree and human stuff all mixed up.

Interesting that she's the closest Marvel character to a Kryptonian, at least when it comes to abilities.
Last edit: 23 Apr 2017 22:44 by shadar.

• shadar
More
23 Apr 2017 23:55 #53768 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Far From Marvelous...
I can definitely see the Tasha Yar in the look. Being a Trekkie, I approve /thumbs up :P

Peace.

/K

More
Time to create page: 0.049 seconds