Amount

Is this off topic?

03 Dec 2020 08:05 #69923 by Thefirstone
Is this off topic? was created by Thefirstone
And in general I’d like to discuss it, but anyway;

An idea that I came up with recently was the idea of a small island nation in a wider setting  (slightly Wakanda/Latvaria-ish) whose royal family have the power to transform into Kaiju.  I want to do some kind of story about this, but I don’t know what kind, or if it should be posted on this site.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thefirstone
  • Thefirstone's Avatar Topic Author
More
03 Dec 2020 08:34 #69926 by Rjjt456
Replied by Rjjt456 on topic Is this off topic?
I haven’t seen this idea before so I’m not sure if this fits the site either

More
03 Dec 2020 17:50 #69928 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Is this off topic?
Not sure about off-topic. As I see it, I figure anything about empowered females is on-topic, other than Peril. Wakanda is a very rich setting and the original movie was terrific. 

The bigger question is whether you'd develop an enthusiastic following here. Probably depends more on the quality of the story than the specific theme or setting.

The nature of fantasy is that it's very specific depending on the person. I'm more into Tolkien'esq themes of high fantasy (which I don't have the guts to try and write) and SciFi fantasies involving Kryptonian'esq characters crossing over into Nordic mythology. But that's just me. 

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rjjt456

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
05 Dec 2020 01:06 #69934 by YAGS
Replied by YAGS on topic Is this off topic?
I've found that the answer to what's on topic vs off topic around here changes over time. The first time I asked, I was told in no uncertain terms that super strength and invulnerability were absolutely necessary for a story to be considered on topic. But that was 15ish years ago.

A couple of years after that, I asked if I could submit a workshop story (the beginnings of my 21st Century Magic: Gotcha!) that didn't include those powers, and I was told "just submit it, and we'll see if we like it". It didn't win the workshop, but it got a few votes. And it's been viewed thousands of times since then. So apparently, the community here likes it, even though it's all telekinesis and body control (mind control?), with no super strength. 

I think things have just gotten more lax over time, and more accepting of anything, as long as there's an empowered female. The one hard rule is "no peril", but even that can be bent. ie If a superwoman has to overcome challenges, it's ok, as long as she's shown being dominant and powerful more than she's shown to be in peril.

• YAGS
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
05 Dec 2020 05:34 #69936 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Is this off topic?

YAGS wrote: I've found that the answer to what's on topic vs off topic around here changes over time. The first time I asked, I was told in no uncertain terms that super strength and invulnerability were absolutely necessary for a story to be considered on topic. But that was 15ish years ago.

A couple of years after that, I asked if I could submit a workshop story (the beginnings of my 21st Century Magic: Gotcha!) that didn't include those powers, and I was told "just submit it, and we'll see if we like it". It didn't win the workshop, but it got a few votes. And it's been viewed thousands of times since then. So apparently, the community here likes it, even though it's all telekinesis and body control (mind control?), with no super strength. 

I think things have just gotten more lax over time, and more accepting of anything, as long as there's an empowered female. The one hard rule is "no peril", but even that can be bent. ie If a superwoman has to overcome challenges, it's ok, as long as she's shown being dominant and powerful more than she's shown to be in peril.

As I see it, a woman overcoming challenges, even being on the losing end at first, isn't peril. It's the nature of great conflicts and battle. It's Peril when the stories entire purpose is to beat her down and enjoy the fetish aspects of men beating up a superwoman. But I suppose interpretations on what makes it Peril can vary. 

For my part, I'd love to write a story featuring Galadriel from LOTR where she proves that the oldest and most powerful of elves have powers that are Kryptonian'esq. Perhaps elves get stronger every year, and she's lived for multiple eons. But it's very heavy lifting to get the dialog and scene and relationships and all the other Tolkien'esq world-makings right. And I don't speak Quenya.

Shadar

• shadar
More
Time to create page: 0.048 seconds