Amount

Olympics

24 Feb 2006 14:44 #4630 by lfan
Olympics was created by lfan
Is it just me, or am I one of the few that actually get totally stoked for the Olympics. I don't understand people's apathy towards it, at least in my general vacinity.

Common Conversation This Week in My Office:
"Did you see the downhill guy wipe out last night?"
"No, but did you see Simon yell at that guy on American Idol?"

Now, I have guilty pleasures in terms of reality TV as well, but this is the largest sporting spectacle in the world. I live where there is no snow. I rarely, if ever, watch skiing on ESPN any other time. I don't follow hockey. I don't understand the rules to Curling. But I get excited and am eager to watch them in the Olympic setting. Am I alone here (at least in the States)?

As a side note, if you have never been to the Olympics, I highly recommend it. It is one of the neatest life experiences you will ever have, interacting with so many people and cultures in a single environment, especially in a closed setting like an Olympic venue. It like going to a football/soccer game where all the people are just as passionate, but there are 20 teams playing!

I dunno, maybe I'm alone and corny in my thinking that we should support the athletes more or at least CARE about them, but was just curious aboiut how others thought. I estimate I've watched about 30-35 hours of continual Olympic coverage. Just wondering if I:

a) am a passionate sports fan who enjoys the spirit of competition
b) a patriotic American who is eager to see his "team" excel
c) someone with a really good TV and a substandard social life

I'll let this post die a silent death now... :P

Peace
LF

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
24 Feb 2006 15:16 #4633 by helix111
Replied by helix111 on topic Re: Olympics
I've actually been pretty hooked on the winter olympics this year. In fact I've just wasted a morning watching the valiant Scots get beaten by the Americans! :x

But in honesty, the main reason I watch it is to see what ridiculous sports some people will do. For example, sliding down a track of ice at 60 kph, on a tea tray, with your face six inches off the ground. Still, shouldn't complain, it looks like the only event team GB is gonna get a medal in... :x :x

More
24 Feb 2006 15:46 #4634 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Re: Olympics
Eddie the Eagle, where are you now???? :P

LF

Still, shouldn't complain, it looks like the only event team GB is gonna get a medal in... :x :x

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
24 Feb 2006 17:02 #4637 by conceptfan
Replied by conceptfan on topic Re: Olympics
Sorry, I'm busy starting to get excited about the World Cup this summer. And against all odds, I'm still excited about the Champions League this year. For me, all the curlers, tea-trayers, free-stylers slalomers in the world just can't compete with this:

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

More
24 Feb 2006 20:03 #4641 by mr_93_jeep_grnd_cherokee
Replied by mr_93_jeep_grnd_cherokee on topic Re: Olympics
Yep, I'm watching it. Though I'm watching for the bobsledding, skiing, hockey, and snowboarding. Not much of an ice dancing or figure skating guy. Don't want the men's club to revoke my man card :lol:

• mr_93_jeep_grnd_cherokee
More
24 Feb 2006 20:22 #4643 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Re: Olympics
Yeah, know whatcha mean....I always used to like to joke that New Year's Day was the best day of the year for guys. football non-stop from 11:00am - past midnight. If that was the case, last night Feb 23rd was probably the worst night for guys. Why you ask? A mere glance at the TV guide would show your viewing choices:

a) Olympic Figure Skating
b) American Idol (followed by Skating with the Stars)
c) Dancing with the Stars semi-finals

Of course, being the "man" I am, I spent the night hunting, doing auto repair and then nailing the two female swimsuit modeling twins that live next door! THEN I watched figure skating!

Yep, I'm watching it. Though I'm watching for the bobsledding, skiing, hockey, and snowboarding. Not much of an ice dancing or figure skating guy. Don't want the men's club to revoke my man card :lol:

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
24 Feb 2006 22:07 #4644 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic Re: Olympics
After we put the baby to bed, my wife wanted to watch figure skating. So, you guessed it, I was stuck watching figure skating.

I feel like Al Bundy of Married with Children. :oops:

More
25 Feb 2006 03:57 #4648 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Re: Olympics
You guys are complaining about watching cute little hard bodies twirlling around in skimpy skin tight mini-dresses? Change the skates for high heeled boots, add a cape and you are set!

More
25 Feb 2006 04:03 #4649 by cha0tic1
Replied by cha0tic1 on topic Question of sanity...
OK, but who's crazier? Someone that competes in the Luge, or someone that competes in the Skeleton? Is it worse, or better, feet-first or face-first?

And there's a two-person Luge event... Would they ever introduce a two-person Skeleton event? If they did, would they knick-name it the "doggy-style run?" :roll:

Maybe it could be a co-ed sport...

One person face up, the other face down... The missionary skeleton???

More
25 Feb 2006 11:17 #4651 by helix111
Replied by helix111 on topic Re: Question of sanity...

OK, but who's crazier? Someone that competes in the Luge, or someone that competes in the Skeleton? Is it worse, or better, feet-first or face-first?

Skeleton's definitely crazier. I'd rather slide down an ice sheet on my back than on my front!

More
26 Feb 2006 05:02 #4665 by Rasa
Replied by Rasa on topic Re: Question of sanity...

One person face up, the other face down... The missionary skeleton???

I knew I should have been a professional athlete. Damn my guidance counselor!

More
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds