Amount

SGI Workshop 1.4 Suggestions for Themes

11 May 2005 10:14 #1107 by admin
Now that voting is closed for the SGI Workshop 1.3, it's time to start thinking about the theme for Workshop 1.4.

In accordance with SGI Workshop tradition, the topic for Workshop 1.4 will be chosen by MarkNew, the winner of the poll for Workshop 1.3.

Please help MarkNew by posting your suggestions for themes here.

admin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• admin
  • admin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 May 2005 13:51 #1110 by marknew742
Replied by marknew742 on topic Re: SGI Workshop 1.4 Suggestions for Themes
This is fun. Can I start by repeating some suggestions from 1.3 that I found appealing:

TV show theme (I agree with CF that this would be hard for those of us not living in the USA, but maybe we could specify a show that is seen worldwide, such as ...

Smallville -- but who other than Lana or Chloe would get the powers?

Reality TV twists Two good thoughts by Angel on this one:
(1) Who Wants To Date An Ubergirl? See which lucky guy gets to go home with power girl... or who ends up on a blind date with her.
(2) A reality contest to see who gets a special "supergirl" formula? I can see a few interesting twists to this one already.

Ubergirl's Romantic Evening -- clearly this could be played either for laughs or something much darker. Or even something sweet.

Let me have your suggestions, comments and thoughts.

And, hey admin, when am I supposed to decide?

More
11 May 2005 14:08 #1111 by admin

hey admin, when am I supposed to decide?

hey, Mark, in about a week or so.

admin.

• admin
  • admin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 May 2005 14:59 #1113 by jumperprime
Replied by jumperprime on topic Re: SGI Workshop 1.4 Suggestions for Themes

This is fun. Can I start by repeating some suggestions from 1.3 that I found appealing:

TV show theme (I agree with CF that this would be hard for those of us not living in the USA, but maybe we could specify a show that is seen worldwide, such as ...

There's also Lois, or Alicia(I think that was the name of the teleporter girl that was in love with Clark) or some other random female character. Who says a TV Show theme has to be limited to one specific show? Maybe it could just be listed as something like "TV Ubergirls" and each author could pick their favorite show to make a character an ubergirl, so one author might imbue Sydney Bristow from "Alias" with superhuman strength, while another might choose to do Rain from "Firefly" and another might choose Gabrielle from "Xena, Warrior Princess"

More
11 May 2005 15:21 #1114 by marknew742

Who says a TV Show theme has to be limited to one specific show?

The only problem is that much of the effect of using established characters is lost on those of us who don't know the show. Alias and Firefly aren't aired in the UK, as far as I know, and while I've heard of Xena and Gabrielle I have no idea what makes them special as characters.

More
11 May 2005 15:30 #1115 by marknew742
Lois and Alicia are good ideas and work well for me. The episode with Lucy, Lois's sister, was broadcast here this week, and she would be a possible choice too. I missed the first two and a half seasons so I don't know if there are any other candidates from those years.

I do like the reality show idea too. The idea of the winner getting superpowers and something special happening to the losers too would be fun. The drawback is the hours of mind-numbing tedium that makes up most of the reality TV life. Do you writers think you could make it interesting?

More
11 May 2005 16:02 #1116 by lfan
Mark, you bring up a great point with the potential for drawing out a reality show. Guess you could do the wham-bam version of like "Super Xtreme Makeover" where one special girl is simply chosen and empowered. Or go the more interesting, albeit drawn out, version like the "dating shows" where conflicts are introduced as one gal emerges the winner and then gets powered up.

I think it would be a challenge, but if done right, could be great! I personally would lean for the "TV Ubergirls" idea and like JP suggested, open it up to multiple shows. Superagent Sydney Bristow......Super Chloe from Smallville.....superpowered survivors on Lost, even cancelled shows like LA Law with new attorney Jennifer Walters or silly things like a superpowered MaryAnn from Gilligans Island.

Your call though, spoils to the victor!!

LF

Lois and Alicia are good ideas and work well for me. The episode with Lucy, Lois's sister, was broadcast here this week, and she would be a possible choice too. I missed the first two and a half seasons so I don't know if there are any other candidates from those years.

I do like the reality show idea too. The idea of the winner getting superpowers and something special happening to the losers too would be fun. The drawback is the hours of mind-numbing tedium that makes up most of the reality TV life. Do you writers think you could make it interesting?

More
11 May 2005 16:12 #1118 by The Highlander
Replied by The Highlander on topic Re: SGI Workshop 1.4 Suggestions for Themes
Actually Alias is shown in the UK. However, I would really like to see some smallvile stories.

More
11 May 2005 16:23 #1119 by marknew742

Mark, you bring up a great point with the potential for drawing out a reality show. Guess you could do the wham-bam version of like "Super Xtreme Makeover" where one special girl is simply chosen and empowered. Or go the more interesting, albeit drawn out, version like the "dating shows" where conflicts are introduced as one gal emerges the winner and then gets powered up.

Yes. What I had in mind was a Big Brother/Survivor type competition, but the ones you mentioned are also good possibilities.

More
11 May 2005 16:26 #1120 by conceptfan
Replied by conceptfan on topic Re: SGI Workshop 1.4 Suggestions for Themes
If we're limited to shows we watch, how would people feel about a superpowered LaLa from the Teletubbies?

More
11 May 2005 16:35 #1121 by marknew742
Are you sure it's a girl?

More
11 May 2005 16:36 #1122 by lfan
LaLa? But what about Tinky-Winky? Isn't he the one who.....oh, nevermind!

LF

If we're limited to shows we watch, how would people feel about a superpowered LaLa from the Teletubbies?

More
11 May 2005 16:41 #1125 by conceptfan
Mark, Lfan. Let's clear this up ONCE and FOR ALL:

TinkyWinky is a gay male, but LaLa and Po are definitely girls.

I hope that puts an end to these rumours.

More
11 May 2005 22:37 #1132 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Re: SGI Workshop 1.4 Suggestions for Themes

Well, there's Clark's mom ... Hey, I'm serious! Surely I'm not the only one who finds Annette O'Toole to be quite attractive ...

Then there was an episode earlier this season in which the Smallville High cheerleaders used kryptonite-laced gatorade to turn their boy friends into love slaves. Maybe they could tweak the formula and ...

More
11 May 2005 23:11 #1133 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Re: SGI Workshop 1.4 Suggestions for Themes
A few months ago, I sent Larafan some suggestions for future workshops -- one of which was "Ubergirl-Themed TV Episode." I sketched a few possibilities in the form of TV Guide listings:

Smallville -- Lightning strikes again -- and this time it transfers Clark's powers to Chloe (Allison Mack).

Xena, Warrior Princess -- To prevent Callisto from consuming the last remaining vial of ambrosia, Gabrielle (Renee o'Connor) drinks it herself -- and goes toe-to-toe against the super-powered sociopath.

Sabrina the Teenage Witch -- Sabrina (Melissa Joan Hart) tries to boost Harvey's strength for football tryouts -- but the spell backfires and Sabrina gains super-strength instead.

Angel -- Cordelia (Charisma Carpenter) has been freed from demonic possession -- but she discovers that she still retains her supernaturally-enhanced strength.

Lois & Clark -- Tempus imprisons Superman in an alternate dimension where he's an ordinary mortal -- but Lois (Teri Hatcher) is the super-heroine Ultra Woman.

I included one other possibility -- but I'm keeping it to myself in case this turns out to be the next workshop theme.

Certainly, this theme presents writers with the challenge of coming up with a story that will be understandable and enjoyable to readers who aren't familiar with the series on which it's based. Still, I think it's an appealing idea.

More
12 May 2005 02:54 #1134 by YAGS
Replied by YAGS on topic My favorite idea
Personally, I like the reality show ubergirl theme best. But be sure to keep it general, rather than specifying the type of reality show. So it could be a "Survivor" type show, or it could be an "Uber Extreme Makeover" type of thing with just one girl. Or the dating type show could go easily go either way - a group of girls competing to become the ubergirlfriend of one guy, or a group of average guys competing to see who can best please their uber-goddess.

I've even got another reality show twist in mind that could make a cool ubergirl story - a group of girls are given uberpowers at the start, and then they compete to see who is "best" at using them, which could mean several different things, depending on where you want to go with this.

Of course, I would probably once again try to start writing a story for the competition and never get around to finishing it due to time constraints. So maybe you should go with another theme and give me a chance to write this type of story, so I have it prepared when someone else goes with this theme in the future. :)

YAGS

More
12 May 2005 03:56 #1136 by MackTheMouse2
Replied by MackTheMouse2 on topic more possible themes
I'd also like to suggest:

(the fairly popular) "Draining Strength" theme

An ubergirl (or girls) defeating an uberman

sudden and unexpected powers

More
12 May 2005 05:19 #1137 by YAGS
Replied by YAGS on topic Re: more possible themes

Hmm... I might be able to join in if the theme is sudden and unexpected powers. The ubergirl vs ubergirl story that I didn't finish in time for the last theme would fit with that theme, also, so it would give me a chance to finish it. :)

What do you mean by draining strength?

YAGS

More
12 May 2005 11:31 #1142 by conceptfan
Replied by conceptfan on topic Re: more possible themes

Teuser's Formula? Or are you talking about the stealing of powers?

For what it's worth, I'd love any topic that doesn't include any of the words "TV", "show" or "reality" in it. But it looks like I'm in a tiny minority (i.e. 1 person) with that... :(

More
12 May 2005 17:26 #1146 by Jabbrwock
Replied by Jabbrwock on topic Re: more possible themes

Teuser's Formula? Or are you talking about the stealing of powers?

For what it's worth, I'd love any topic that doesn't include any of the words "TV", "show" or "reality" in it. But it looks like I'm in a tiny minority (i.e. 1 person) with that... :(

Nah, I'm not interested in the TV show theme either. Of course, my opinion might carry more weight if I could ever get my act together and write a story I'm willing to let somebody else read. He who doesn't enter contests might want to let they who do enter the contests decide what the contest should be about.

More
12 May 2005 21:32 #1147 by angels
Replied by angels on topic Re: SGI Workshop 1.4 Suggestions for Themes
The thing I love about the reality show idea is the variety of characters and goals it brings into play, each with a fair shot of becoming an ubergirl. Each girl would have to make sure she presents herself as the natural winner (if there is perhaps a voting system to judge who wins), but deep down there might be an ulterior motive for her desires. I guess what I envisioned was a mix between a beauty pageant and big brother or something. There's also easy ways to tie in what happens if things become fixed (a la American Idol) or the fights that can break out between contenstants (stick 8 girls in a house who would do anything for goddesslike powers and see what happens), etc.

I also like the idea of something simpler like a super extreme makeover.

More
12 May 2005 22:27 #1148 by lfan
Wow...this thread is almost like a real message board....posts and everything! :P

Jab, loved Nyx --- wish you'd pen some more!!
YAGS -- love to see it!!
Angels -- I agree with the "quick hit" reality show idea rather than drawn out
CF -- you are a minority of one, you sick twisted schmuck!! BTW, loved Tseuser, when we gonna see more?? 8)

Peace
LF

The thing I love about the reality show idea is the variety of characters and goals it brings into play, each with a fair shot of becoming an ubergirl. Each girl would have to make sure she presents herself as the natural winner (if there is perhaps a voting system to judge who wins), but deep down there might be an ulterior motive for her desires. I guess what I envisioned was a mix between a beauty pageant and big brother or something. There's also easy ways to tie in what happens if things become fixed (a la American Idol) or the fights that can break out between contenstants (stick 8 girls in a house who would do anything for goddesslike powers and see what happens), etc.

I also like the idea of something simpler like a super extreme makeover.

More
13 May 2005 01:19 #1152 by conceptfan

CF -- you are a minority of one, you sick twisted schmuck!!

Wow! Praise from Caesar...

BTW, lf, I'm still waiting to read 'Z'upergirl 2. :-)

More
13 May 2005 11:46 #1156 by somat
Replied by somat on topic Re: more possible themes

I'm with you mack, these are also the themes I would be interested to read or write, I'm not so familiar with TV series, since I'm only able to choose between 2 austrian-TV channels. Why do we need a TV show for inspiration, wouldn't it be more creative, to create your own drama, in your heads, hä?!

In any case, draining strength, to me is a cool theme, also ubergirl vs some stronger beeing, which in my opinion, is a challenge to write, she has to get out some tricks of her hat, so to speak..and everyone has the right to let her win, or lose the fight, after all this is the internet so censorship isn't really a cool thing to execute in a virtual world

Think about it fellows..

somat

More
13 May 2005 13:14 #1157 by conceptfan
Replied by conceptfan on topic Re: more possible themes

wouldn't it be more creative, to create your own drama, in your heads, hä?!

TV kills imagination!!! :D

More
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds