Amount

SGI Workshop 1.4 Suggestions for Themes

14 May 2005 20:47 #1162 by MackTheMouse2
Replied by MackTheMouse2 on topic 'draining' strength
However the author would want to do it-

Either draining muscular might, or someone else's superpowers, or life force, or whatever seems most interesting.

There's a lot of stories on the topic already, so I'm not sure what new elements could be touched...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 May 2005 22:58 #1163 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Re: more possible themes

Why do we need a TV show for inspiration, wouldn't it be more creative, to create your own drama, in your heads, hä?!

somat

I see your point. But --

There have been many original and imaginative stories based on characters and settings created by other writers -- Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories, Robert E. Howard's Conan adventures, H. P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos ... Larafan's "Zupergirl" (which handily won the first workshop poll) took characters from the Justice League comic book -- Brantley's "Bright Empire" borrows from Robert Heinlein, Larry Niven, and Cordwainer Smith -- and my Atalanta stories steal shamelessly from classical mythology.

I think a stronger objection to the "Ubergirl TV Episode" theme is that many of us might not be familiar with the series referenced by a particular story. So I do favor a more "generic" workshop theme, along the lines of "ubergirl vs army" and "ubergirl vs ubergirl." And anyone who wants to write a "Super-Phoebe" episode of Friends would be welcome to do so, as long as the story fit within that general rubric.

More
15 May 2005 05:56 #1166 by Jabbrwock
Replied by Jabbrwock on topic Re: more possible themes

I think a stronger objection to the "Ubergirl TV Episode" theme is that many of us might not be familiar with the series referenced by a particular story. So I do favor a more "generic" workshop theme, along the lines of "ubergirl vs army" and "ubergirl vs ubergirl." And anyone who wants to write a "Super-Phoebe" episode of Friends would be welcome to do so, as long as the story fit within that general rubric.

If we're going to do a TV show theme, may I submit that it would be least restrictive if it were just "Supergirl in a TV show." Don't name the TV show, that's up to the author. Don't name the character. Let the authors write the stories they want with the TV shows they want. If somebody wants to do a Supergirl Reality TV show, go for it. Somebody else wants to do a story where a fictional TV actor gets super powers on live TV, more power to them. Other folks want to do fanfics about Lois & Clark or Smallville, not a problem.

Basically, if it ends up being a TV themed story for the next contest, that's enough. We didn't have Supergirl vs. Wonder Woman for the last theme, we had Ubergirl vs. Ubergirl. We don't restrict other themes to specifics, I don't think we should for this one either.

More
16 May 2005 08:18 #1173 by marknew742
Replied by marknew742 on topic Re: SGI Workshop 1.4 Suggestions for Themes
This was really tough, guys. Reading your suggestions has filled me with so many good ideas for stories that I want to write them all, and see what all of you have to write. What oh what should I do!

I like the reality TV idea very much, especially the idea of a group competing to be the last one standing, the survivor to get the superpowers that all of them want. Or a TV series in which an ordinary character, perhaps a very unlikely one, becomes super. But in the end I decided that for me, the TV factor limits possibilities rather than creates them. After all, just about anything you can do on TV you can also do in real life, even in a competition. So I'm going to pick a topic that allows you to write the story on TV if you want but dictates the theme instead.

So, here is my simple suggestion for the new topic:

"Girl becomes supergirl and this makes someone else sorely upset."

It doesn't matter how. It can be by "draining" a superhero, a magic formula or alien infusion of power or even some other means.
She can use her powers for good or evil or in between. Or perhaps not use them at all. (Now that would be different!)
It can be by her design or completely by accident.
She may welcome it, be unhappy about it or completely indifferent.
But what's important is that someone else (hopefully but not necessarily male) feels terribly wronged (rightly or wrongly) that SHE got the powers.

So there's the challenge.

If I'm way off base with the suggestion, let me know quickly.

Otherwise, let the fun begin.

Oh, and I have a few more ideas for subsequent competitions but I'll keep those to myself for now.

Mark

More
16 May 2005 16:18 #1176 by batteries
Replied by batteries on topic Re: SGI Workshop 1.4 Suggestions for Themes
I like the idea mark. It leaves the door open for so many ideas sorta covers all options which were brought up in this topic. I may even attempt to finish one of my stories and enter it

I look forward to reading all the entries mainly as normal people becomeing super is one of my favorite kind of stories!

Batteries

More
16 May 2005 17:38 #1180 by conceptfan
Replied by conceptfan on topic Re: SGI Workshop 1.4 Suggestions for Themes

I may even attempt to finish one of my stories and enter it

Looks like Mark's found a great solution!

What a brilliant workshop this one will be if everyone who has stories "in the pipeline" finishes them in time. I'd love to read your entry when it's ready, batteries.

(BTW, congrats on Boro's UEFA cup qualification)

More
16 May 2005 18:59 #1181 by angels
Replied by angels on topic Re: SGI Workshop 1.4 Suggestions for Themes
Hear hear, Marknew! I'm going to try my hand at this one, if only because Mark is one of my favorite authors and his topic opens up the opportunity to finish a story Shadar briefly counseled me on back in the day. It seems as if this subject, particulary "makes someone else sorely upset" is ripe for writing scenes of terrific jealousy and I hope to try and take it from a perspective that is very rare and hasn't been written about yet.

More
16 May 2005 19:26 #1183 by lfan
WTG angels! Cannot wait. Mark, excellent selection with the perfect goal --- soliciting as many writers/stories as we can!

Here! Here!

LF

P.S. Marknew one of your favs? Hmm, any other favs?? (ribpoke as I point at the dead SWMMiees forum!) :P

Hear hear, Marknew! I'm going to try my hand at this one, if only because Mark is one of my favorite authors and his topic opens up the opportunity to finish a story Shadar briefly counseled me on back in the day. It seems as if this subject, particulary "makes someone else sorely upset" is ripe for writing scenes of terrific jealousy and I hope to try and take it from a perspective that is very rare and hasn't been written about yet.

More
18 May 2005 10:42 #1201 by conceptfan
Replied by conceptfan on topic Re: SGI Workshop 1.4 Suggestions for Themes
So, Lfan... do we have a Workshop 1.4 then? What's the official theme and deadline?

More
Time to create page: 0.064 seconds