Amount

SGI Workshop 1.4 Vote for your favourite entry

05 Jul 2005 12:28 #1660 by admin
There were 6 entries to the SG Inc Workshop 1.4 (Theme: "Someone gets superpowers and this makes someone else upset")

Read the stories in our storybank ( www.superwomenmania.com/storybank/index-d.html )

Vote for your favourite story and post your comments here!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• admin
  • admin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
05 Jul 2005 14:19 #1662 by marknew742
I LOVE Cf's story this month. Great job.

I'll dream about Kim tonight, if I'm lucky.

More
05 Jul 2005 14:29 #1663 by lfan
Have only read CF's and Argo's stories so far and must say they are both excellent and I agree with Mark whole heartedly. Jesus, CF, 26000 words?? You making me look bad!! (It IS all about me, you know! :P)

Cannot wait to read the others......hopefully some last minute stragglers (UG, Dru, etc) will crop up as well.....

Peace
LF

I LOVE Cf's story this month. Great job.

I'll dream about Kim tonight, if I'm lucky.

More
05 Jul 2005 14:58 #1665 by argonaut
Usually, when I set out to read a set of workshop stories, I try to save what I think will be the best stories for last.

This time, I think I'll just have to say "eenie, meenie, minie, mo ..."

admin -- I notice the stories are now formatted so that they can be read directly from the screen without scrolling back and forth. Much appreciated!

My one disappointment is that there's only one newcomer among the workshop authors. (I think ace is a newcomer.) I hope to see more first-time writers join the next workshop.

As always, a vote of thanks to lfan for starting these workshops -- to admin for keeping them going -- and of course to all the writers!

Now, which story shall I read first? ...

More
06 Jul 2005 16:11 #1669 by angels
*applauds*
Against better judgement, I stayed up all night reading the stories. I honestly don't know if I'm going to be able to pull a favorite out. Great job everyone!

More
06 Jul 2005 17:01 #1670 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Spoiler Free Comments
I think I'm in Angel's camp on this one and STILL undecided.....

Ace's was a top-rate first time story (???) --- love those classical what if scenarios of comicdom. Ace you sure you haven't written under another name here before ;) ?

Same goes for Argo, with a fantastic use of LSH fanfiction, with a great ubergirl plot to boot! Ultra superstrength? Hmm..... :)

AK's was an excellent as well. The same AK quality set in an original universe. Cannot wait to see what happens next and hope it becomes a semi-regular series at your site!

CF was typical CF-fare, which is about the best compliment I can give. Twisted, yes, but imagery and descriptions of how the heroine is feeling that is almost unparalleled (Yosh and Dru come damn close though)! And the length! 26,000 words!! Hopefully its a new story line on your site and we'll see more of Kim and Randolph. Bravo!

Marknew's Super One was incredible! The detailed setup of how the contest was lauched and how it unfolded was masterful in my mind. Loved the visuals of the transformation as well. Since we cannot have Lilly or Johanna back, I guess Andrea will do for now!

Congrats and great work to all who posted. Anyone who enjoyed the stories, please take the time -- even a quick one line note/post -- to say which ones you liked and offer words of encouragement if you wanna see more!

LF

*applauds*
Against better judgement, I stayed up all night reading the stories. I honestly don't know if I'm going to be able to pull a favorite out. Great job everyone!

More
06 Jul 2005 17:31 #1671 by marknew742
First I want to say how much I enjoyed all of the stories. Obviously the topic is closest to my own heart, but I'm thrilled that others found wonderful things to write about too.

SPOILER ALERT -- DO NOT READ MY COMMENTS UNTIL YOU'VE READ THE STORIES.

Ace, having Lois take Supe's powers is one of my favorite ideas, and Mr. Mx is a great way to do it. After all, he can do anything, on a whim, and always does. I loved Supe's struggles with being ordinary and Lois's complete lack of sympathy for him. And then there's that serum, sitting there for future use, probably by an enraged Lois, but possibly by some random other person who get empowered quite by accident. A nice thing to think about either way. My only wish was for Lois to push Supe around a bit, lord it over him a bit. But I can see a good opportunity for this in the next part, given how pissed off she must be now. Great job!

AK is of course an old pro and the accidental transfer of superpowers is another great way to attack this theme and get me very excited. Steph sounded like a spoiled annoying blonde to me, a bit like Cf's Kimmie, and I would have liked to have gotten a better sense of what kind of a person she is and how she would use her powers. But I loved the way she gets her powers and that Superlad's hope to be a real superhero has been dashed this way. (Oh yeah, more on his reaction to this would be great too.) I also loved Superlad's half-super-powered state and the way Wondergirl hurt him so easily when she was "just trying to be nice". And to have lost his chance at super-powers because he was making out with her is such a delicious injustice. A real pleasure!

Lfan's story was another great pleasure. Oh those delayed-action spells! You just never know what's going to happen and who is going to benefit. I loved not knowing exactly where the story was going (other than that Supergirl was not going to be super for very much longer). The battle was fun and I also loved that brief mention of SG losing what made her special -- I would have liked more of that. And the description of how Tredyn's empowerment made her feel was great, as were the last several paragraphs when she demonstrates her new powers on air and then in the air. And what is in store for Zatanna?

Argonaut's story was a perfect extension to the Silver Age Legion of Super Heroes stories. The tone was exactly right, as was Superboy's puerile reaction to the events. I loved the scene when he was left helpless against the evil robot, while the enhanced Triplicate Girl was able to defeat it so easily. I also loved the way she could cure him with the yellow sun rays and then put him to sleep with a little red sun. There are so many ways THAT power can be used, especially if Triplicate Girl were just a little bit bad and thought that Supergirl should give her cousin another little demonstration of girl power. (The story also made me think back to a LSH comic about 35 years ago involving statuettes and super-power enhancement by an evil feminist -- more details available if any of you are interested, but no, I don't have a copy to scan. It's all in my head.) It would also be great to see how TG makes the other super-males act differently in the future, assuming there's anything left for them to do other than rescue cats from trees. Perhaps clean the clubhouse?

CF's story was brilliant, as I said. I loved the counterpoint between the two characters and the injustice of it all. Kim is a perfect superbadgirl. She just doesn't CARE about anyone else and JUST WANTS TO HAVE FUN!! Isn't life unfair!

Thanks to everyone for a great competition.

Mark

More
06 Jul 2005 20:24 #1672 by argonaut

Argonaut's story made me think back to a LSH comic about 35 years ago involving statuettes and super-power enhancement by an evil feminist -- more details available if any of you are interested, but no, I don't have a copy to scan. It's all in my head.

For those interested, Marknew is referencing "The Mutiny of the Super-Heroines," in ADVENTURE 368 (May 1968) -- in which the girl Legionnaires get their powers "beefed up" and throw the boys out of the Legion. (I re-read it as I was writing my workshop story, trying to soak up the tone of those Silver Age comics.) It's worth looking for (on eBay if there's no comic book store in your vicinity). It's got a cover by the great Neal Adams, in which Supergirl and Light Lass are literally throwing Superboy and Ultra Boy out of the Legion Clubhouse, and it includes dialogue such as this:

Shadow Lass: "You boys deserve a lesson in humility ... and it's about time you got it!"

and this:

Phantom Girl: "Why don't you guys form a losers' Legion of your own? Ha, ha!"

and this:

Triplicate Girl [punching out two of the boy Legionnaires simultaneously]: "I alone outnumber you, fellows!"

Thanks for the generous feedback, Marknew (and lfan). Now that I've read all the stories, I'll email/post some feedback of my own within the next few days. I think that of the four workshops so far, this has elicited the most consistently enjoyable set of submissions. I'll vote for a favorite, but it's practically a five-way tie!

More
06 Jul 2005 20:36 #1673 by marknew742
Ah yes, that was the one! I was so disappointed when Supergirl broke free of the mind control and destroyed the statuettes, weakening herself and the other girls to their normal strength in order to restore the natural order of things.

I recall the oh-so-promising beginning of that strip. One female legionnaire asks SG who is stronger, SB or her, and she replies something to the effect of ... "Why he is, of course, just as any normal boy is stronger than a normal girl!" That, of course, completely ignores the fact that she grew up on Argos and must have developed her muscles to a much greater extent than SB, who lived under a yellow sun his whole life and never had to use his real muscles.

Obviously the writers of that era failed to anticipate our wishes.

So, it's up to us to make up for their past mistakes. More stories!!!!

More
06 Jul 2005 21:11 #1674 by argonaut
Well, I'm getting the impression that there are more LSH aficionados hereabouts than I had expected ... so a sequel may be forthcoming.

CONTEST ANNOUNCEMENT:

I will send a copy of ADVENTURE #368 to the first SWManiac who identifies the Silver Age super-villain whose origin I appropriated for my story.

More
06 Jul 2005 21:18 #1676 by lfan
Always loved the LSH! In fact my first collection of a comic that I remember reading over and over was an old Legion tale with Grimbor the Chainsman getting ready to 'choke' the Earth with a big chain wrapped around it. Now that's old school!!

LF

Well, I'm getting the impression that there are more LSH aficionados hereabouts than I had expected ... so a sequel may be forthcoming.

CONTEST ANNOUNCEMENT:

I will send a copy of ADVENTURE #368 to the first SWManiac who identifies the Silver Age super-villain whose origin I appropriated for my story.

More
07 Jul 2005 00:45 #1684 by YAGS
Replied by YAGS on topic Answer and Question

CONTEST ANNOUNCEMENT:

The Composite Superman.

I'll admit that I'm not old enough to remember that from first hand knowledge, and I was never a huge fan of Silver Age comics, but I know enough from having been a DC fan in the 80's and 90's to know what to look for when searching for that answer on the internet. :)

For anyone interested in that complete story, check out this site:

nightwing.superman.ws/adventures/compositesuperman.htm

And I do mean the complete story. He's actually got entire comics scanned and posted to the internet for you to read.

Now on to my own question: When does voting end? I've only had a chance to read two of the stories so far, and it might take me a couple more days to find time to read the rest of them. Blame ConceptFan for writing such a long story. :P Though, of course, I'm sure it'll be worth it. I really like CF's stories that I've read in the past.

YAGS

More
07 Jul 2005 01:50 #1686 by argonaut
We have a winner!

The Composite Superman had one of the oddest character designs (and clunkiest names) of any Silver Age character. His costume consisted of the left half of a Batman costume and the right half of a Superman costume, and his skin was green. (I presume the artist did this so that the C.S. wouldn't be mistaken for Superman or Batman when drawn in profile.) He was a janitor at the Superman Museum who gained super-powers when lightning struck a display of Legionnaire statuettes (yes, created by Brainiac 5's "duplicator machine"). You gotta love the Silver Age! I believe he made two appearances in WORLD'S FINEST in the 1960's and hasn't been seen since then.

YAGS, send me a private message with mailing info and your prize will be on its way.

More
07 Jul 2005 04:55 #1687 by YAGS

We have a winner!

The Composite Superman had one of the oddest character designs (and clunkiest names) of any Silver Age character. His costume consisted of the left half of a Batman costume and the right half of a Superman costume, and his skin was green. (I presume the artist did this so that the C.S. wouldn't be mistaken for Superman or Batman when drawn in profile.) He was a janitor at the Superman Museum who gained super-powers when lightning struck a display of Legionnaire statuettes (yes, created by Brainiac 5's "duplicator machine"). You gotta love the Silver Age! I believe he made two appearances in WORLD'S FINEST in the 1960's and hasn't been seen since then.

YAGS, send me a private message with mailing info and your prize will be on its way.

Oddly, enough the character has been seen since then, albeit in a completely new form.

In the Post-Zero Hour Legion of Superheroes continuity, they faced an alien foe who was able to mimic all of their looks and powers at the same time. So like The Composite Superman of the 60's, this mid-late 90's villain also had the powers of all the Legionnaires at the time. But instead of looking like Superman and Batman combined, he instead looked like a combination of all the Legionnaires he was copying. He was called The Composite Man.

YAGS

More
07 Jul 2005 07:57 #1690 by conceptfan
Don't blame me for writing a long story... Blame MarkNew for setting a topic that has so much mileage in it!

The way that the topic has been treated so differently by the various submissions is another indication that we had a great theme to work with. Here's my (brief) thoughts on everyone else's stories:

WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS.

Ace: Brilliant first-time story. I also loved the contrast between Lois' new empowered state and Clark's unfamiliar everyday guy difficulties. I wouldn't have complained if there'd been more of Lois' inner voice telling us how she feels after she first gains the powers, but... Excellent story! Now that Lois is increasingly pissed off with him, and has hidden the serum in case Mx. decides to put everything back to normal (No, Mxy, don't do it!) I can't wait for the next installment. Ace, please write it and submit it to the StoryBank - I'm sure I'm not alone...

AK: Accidental power transfer to an undeserving bimbo? Fabulous! Wondergirl nearly crushing Superlad in a hug and then - my favourite bit - lying on top of him, with the door on top of her, driving the air from his lungs... Awesome! Stephanie's accidental damage to the building excited me tremendously; how powerful must a girl be to smash up a place without even trying?! It was a shame we didn't get to see much of SuperLad's reaction to losing his birthright to the buxom, ditzy blonde. Can't wait for the next installment of this one...

Argo: A completely different setting from Atalanta and you're obviously just at home in it. I wasn't familiar with the comic books, but I still enjoyed all the characters and their interaction. I loved the scene where Superboy is humiliated first by Trip. holding him down with one finger and then by Dream sending him off to rescue an "octo-cat". Trip's wide range of powers is fantastic, especially the solar abilities. I'd have loved it if Trip. had stolen rather than copied SB's powers, but I can't have it all. Argo, this is the third story I've read by you and they're all really engaging and entertaining. More please!

[Anyone who wants to recreate the Triplicate Girl experience - try staring at a mortal girl in a bar whilst drunk. Hey presto, one becomes two, or even, if you're lucky, three!]

Lfan: Brilliant twist - you never see it coming. The scene where Z. is pretending to be contrite to the patronising SG whilst secretly she's trying not to puke at the saccharine-coated sentiments was lovely. I also loved the way Tredyn gains super confidence along with her powers, so that she acts the part immediately. Now, of course, I need part 3. And more of Z. and SG's reactions to Super Tredyn.

Mark: One of the best "powering up" scenes I've ever read - the various coloured bits of light and their duration really let us know that Andrea is being super-ultra-mega-hyper- suped up. Loved the image of the beams splitting around Andrew - his helplessness from this moment to the end is brilliant. I also loved all the things Andrea does with her superbreath (especially her final public humiliation of Andrew). Nice twist at the end too.

More
08 Jul 2005 04:09 #1713 by ace191
First off, I would like to thank Marknew for coming up with such a great topic! I have been a long time fan of yours and I have read several of your stories many, many times.

In my book, you, CF and AK are in an entirely different league when it comes to being clever, descriptive and prolific. All of the other folks are very accomplished authors whose works I have read and enjoyed.

Yes, this is the first time I have ever written a story and submitted it and I must admit I
was quit apprehensive about doing so. I just didn’t think my work would be good enough and that I would end up looking like a fool. Tired and depressed, I read Marknew’s post of Jun 21 where he said, “ Nearly done and having fun with it now. Hope y'all enjoy reading it as much as I have writing it.”

A little light went off in my head and I kept thinking over and over “just have fun with it”, so I quit worrying about what everyone would think and just knuckled down and put the fingers to the keyboard.

I had the story plotted out to about nine chapters which is where I thought it needed to be to have a chance, but time ran out. I stayed up until midnight writing it three nights in a row but I realized I just wasn’t going to make it. And here’s a laugh. I thought my story was getting to be too long!

I don’t remember the last time I had so much fun working on something like this and I would encourage everyone else out there to give it a try. But I would caution that it takes a lot longer than most people think to crank one of these out which only makes me that much more appreciative of all the prolific authors who produce these clever works for the rest of us to enjoy.

I very much appreciate all the kind words and I promise that there are at least three more chapters coming.

In regards to the other stories, it was pretty clear that everyone else had as much fun as I did writing them. As Superboy spent most of the Silver Age teasing and torturing girls in
general and Lana in specific, I got an extra special kick out of Argonauts “Three times a Super Lady”. That story could have come right out of a mid-sixties Adventure Comic.

And lastly, my wife votes for “"Uh oh, my wife/girlfriend/lover has just become super!" or just plain old “" my wife/girlfriend/lover has just become super!"

And since I think I can pick up some points with her (and I can always use as many as possible) I am going to cast my vote for that too.

More
12 Jul 2005 02:56 #1742 by ultragirl
It's been awhile since I've posted. I really needed a break. I know that sounds silly, but I did.

Anyway, I made my vote! I want to say, however, that it's always nice to see new writers on the board. New ideas are what should keep us going. To all the returning writers, excellent work as always. You ALL make it so hard to choose! Thank you sooooo much for the effort.

More
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds