Amount

SGI "short" Story Workshop 2.2 Topic Suggestions

26 Aug 2005 17:06 #2260 by admin
Now that voting has closed for 2.1, it's time to start thinking about 2.2.

As the writer of the most popular story, the final choice of a topic for SGI "short" Workshop 2.2 goes to Lfan.

Post your suggestions/ideas for Lfan to chose from here.

admin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• admin
  • admin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
27 Aug 2005 08:19 #2269 by WhitePaw
Idea 1: Superheroine bread and butter: bank robbery. Tried, true, and demanding of innovation to remain intriguing. My 'Soap' weighs in at 1600 words, best I thought I could do (wasn't budgeting wordcount writing it).

Idea 2: Origin stories abound...but there are no...ending stories. 'Death of a Super Girl'?

Idea 3: Cheesecake factory...er...um....playing at the gym.

Idea 4: Retriving someone from protective custody.

Idea 5: "Negotiating" with an invading alien force.

Idea 6: "Didn't know my police/FBI/CIA/MI6 partner was uber until..."

And so on.

Have fun.

Love,
White Paw

More
27 Aug 2005 17:07 #2270 by Ordo Cabaal Templarus
Replied by Ordo Cabaal Templarus on topic Re: SGI "short" Story Workshop 2.2 Topic Suggestions
Potential 'Horror' ideas

1. Haunted House/manor/town/forest/room/etc... with thier friend's of course... shake them up a bit... ^_^

2. A serial killer decides that Ubergirls make nice targets, though it doesn't have to be particularly horrifying in the end :twisted:

3. "Do you not hear it's hateful boxcars on the Bronze Tracks? It comes for deadflesh for it's fire, morsels for itstable, and Blood for its chalice." Some kind of demonic meat-train...

4. Vampires, do I need to say more?

5. An Undead Fallen Hero (Kinda like say a Death Knight or a Lich, for you DnD fellows) has been amassing restless spriits for its plot of conquest, on a location that the Ubergirl has just 'walked in' on.

6. Kind of like a haunted manor full of monsters n'stuff, including one nasty 'Force' of Evil that keeps anyone from getting out.

-OCT

• Ordo Cabaal Templarus
More
28 Aug 2005 02:17 #2271 by argonaut
1. Super-woman uses her powers (secretly or openly) at work

2. Super-woman withstands / overcomes force of nature (avalanche, volcano, thunderstorm, typhoon ...)

3. Super-woman changes from secret identity to super identity

4. Super-woman accidentally causes destruction through careless / inexperienced use of her powers

5. "I Wish She Were Super" -- a story featuring a real-life celebrity as a super-woman

More
28 Aug 2005 17:04 #2272 by YAGS
My only suggestion this time around: Creative superpowers. In other words, a story about an ubergirl using at least one superpower that's not one of the old kryptonian standards.

As for the other suggestions so far, there are a few interesting ones. I think the horror ideas could be cool (especially with Halloween coming up in 2 months), but I think they'd be better suited to a long story format than this short story format. I really like Argonaut's suggestion of a superwoman changing from secret identity to super identity. That one actually lends itself quite well to the shorter format.

YAGS

More
29 Aug 2005 07:17 #2274 by WhitePaw
All wonderful ideas.

But I will bow out of any horror-themed workshop for personal reasons. Halloween ABSOLUTELY, and I look forward to the genre-related costumes around my house this year--but horror's just not what I come here for. Quite the opposite, really. Here I'd expect the lone hottie to be rippint the monsters limb from tenticle, as opposed to the usual way of screaming things in the horror genre.

Well, um....yeah. I suppose that is a plot suggestion after all.

Carry on.

Love,
White Paw

More
29 Aug 2005 10:03 #2275 by anterion
This might seem too much of the overdone-yet-ever-popular origin idea, but how about stories about a halloween costume doing more to its wearer than just making her look like a heroine/villianess/etc. ?

Just thought....

More
29 Aug 2005 10:06 #2276 by anterion
Either I need to proofread my posts better in the future or this forum needs an edit button :-)

Sorry for the hardly understandable post above.

More
29 Aug 2005 17:09 #2282 by WhitePaw

...how about stories about a halloween costume doing more to its wearer than just making her look like a heroine/villianess/etc. ?

Been there, 'laundered' that. Wouldn't mind another load though. Whites this time? :D

And it's best we don't have an edit button, keeps me honest :)

Love,
-White Paw

More
30 Aug 2005 00:33 #2283 by Ordo Cabaal Templarus
Replied by Ordo Cabaal Templarus on topic Re: SGI "short" Story Workshop 2.2 Topic Suggestions
Hmm, I'll keep that in mind, Whitepaw...

We could always do a comedy or satire of horror, like Ghostbusters or Army of Darkness. Short clips with ubergirls kicking monster ass whilst delivering thier best one-liners, or with Dead Alive, a fic that intentionally grosses you out but has the attitude of a comedy skit. It's a no-brainer!

...mmm...brains...

-OCT

• Ordo Cabaal Templarus
More
30 Aug 2005 03:47 #2284 by YAGS

This might seem too much of the overdone-yet-ever-popular origin idea, but how about stories about a halloween costume doing more to its wearer than just making her look like a heroine/villianess/etc. ?

Just thought....

Believe it or not, I started writing a story for a previous workshop a few months ago that was exactly like this. I never finished it, and it's already over 1500 words, so I don't think it would work for the short format workshop.

YAGS

More
30 Aug 2005 03:58 #2286 by YAGS

Here I'd expect the lone hottie to be rippint the monsters limb from tenticle, as opposed to the usual way of screaming things in the horror genre.

Well, um....yeah. I suppose that is a plot suggestion after all.

I think Joss Whedon beat you to that one. I saw an interview where he explained why he came up with Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It's a horror cliche to have stereotypical hot blonde get ambushed by monsters when she's alone by herself, and end up dead on the floor. The whole point behind Buffy is that when the bad guys try to ambush her, she's not only prepared for them, but she actually kicks their butt. It's really started as more of a parody of a horror cliche than any sort of serious long term story.

Anyway, I still think that a horror theme might make for a fun long workshop theme for Halloween, but I just can't imagine being able to keep it short.

YAGS

More
31 Aug 2005 15:21 #2293 by mikeyfreedom
First line suggestions - stories must start with the words.....

1) "The explosion blew me back through a brick wall"

2) "Jumping out of the window"

3) "Someone needed to do something"

4) "I'm Wonder Woman"

5) "My life has never been the same since"

6) "The missile finally came into view"

7) "Why did it have to be me who had these powers"

- The last one i also submit as a straight suggestion
"A superheroine doubts herself"

More
01 Sep 2005 03:58 #2297 by ace191
Have you ever watched a movie or a TV show and you did not like the ending? How about a comic book or perhaps a web story? Were you unhappy that Supergirl’s love for Brainiac 5 in Adventure 368 caused the Super Duper Girl legionaries to lose their enhanced powers?

Perhaps just once CF would like to see Mark defeat Brandi and take her powers (and if you believe that, I would really like to talk to you about some
beautiful ocean view property here in Phoenix).

Well LFan, now is your chance! How about a short story where the ending of a movie/TV Show/comic/Web story is changed! Think of the Edutainment value! We could all enjoy the new stories as well as perhaps find stories that we did not know even existed. You could allow the author
a few words to explain the original story and ending and where it is from without it counting against the word total.

And what excuse would anyone have for not participating? You don’t even have to make up a story, just change one.

So call now! Operators are standing by (and they would really like to sit down!)

More
01 Sep 2005 13:32 #2298 by lfan
Ace --

I REALLY like that idea (similar to What If concept), but I don't think it can be done justice in 1000 words.....best left to the "super sized" workshops methinks. But it'll havce my vote for the next one......

As for the short, still thinking about it but leaning toward WP's "break someone from protective custody" --- sounds intriguing....

LF

Have you ever watched a movie or a TV show and you did not like the ending? How about a comic book or perhaps a web story? Were you unhappy that Supergirl’s love for Brainiac 5 in Adventure 368 caused the Super Duper Girl legionaries to lose their enhanced powers?

Perhaps just once CF would like to see Mark defeat Brandi and take her powers (and if you believe that, I would really like to talk to you about some
beautiful ocean view property here in Phoenix).

Well LFan, now is your chance! How about a short story where the ending of a movie/TV Show/comic/Web story is changed! Think of the Edutainment value! We could all enjoy the new stories as well as perhaps find stories that we did not know even existed. You could allow the author
a few words to explain the original story and ending and where it is from without it counting against the word total.

And what excuse would anyone have for not participating? You don’t even have to make up a story, just change one.

So call now! Operators are standing by (and they would really like to sit down!)

More
01 Sep 2005 14:36 #2299 by marknew742

I REALLY like that idea (similar to What If concept), but I don't think it can be done justice in 1000 words.....best left to the "super sized" workshops methinks. But it'll have my vote for the next one......

I agree with that. Although I don't know many of these stories, I've always liked the idea of recasting the few I do know. Perhaps part of the rule should be that the writer prepare a brief summary of the original story as a postscript.

As for the short, still thinking about it but leaning toward WP's "break someone from protective custody" --- sounds intriguing....

I like this idea too. Presumably the person in custody may or may not appreciate being released!

More
01 Sep 2005 15:39 #2300 by YAGS

Intriguing, yes, but maybe a little too specific. How about just making the theme "protective custody" and leaving it at that? Thus, the ubergirl could break someone out of custody, as with the original suggestion, but the less specific theme would also allow her to be the one protecting someone in custody, or even be the person being protected herself, if she didn't realize her powers or got them while in custody.

Just a thought,

YAGS

More
01 Sep 2005 16:29 #2301 by lfan
Good point, YAGS......was leaaning toward it being some kind of protection facility (WLP, prison, police station, etc.)
It will defintely make it broader....

LF

Intriguing, yes, but maybe a little too specific. How about just making the theme "protective custody" and leaving it at that? Thus, the ubergirl could break someone out of custody, as with the original suggestion, but the less specific theme would also allow her to be the one protecting someone in custody, or even be the person being protected herself, if she didn't realize her powers or got them while in custody.

Just a thought,

YAGS

More
02 Sep 2005 01:11 #2304 by WhitePaw
He he he.

As usual, what I don't write is just as important as what I do.

I was actually planning on a liberal shoveling of my usual creative license on the 'break someone from creative custody' were it to be chosen. I never said 'facility', just 'custody'. Never said 'start from the outside', just 'break from'. And 'protective' is always relative to your point of view.

For example a scene I'd envisioned for it would take place in a mob-controlled gentleman's club, where the owner was detaining an otherwise hostile witness. The ubergirl in question's secret ID would be as a police detective. She and her partner would agree to investigate the club incognito and split up. While the partner takes up position at the bar, as agreed, she agrees to snoop around backstage. Well...until she blazes on stage in her police outfit and tries to put on a 'dirty cop' show and effect the hostage escape without blowing her REAL cover.

You know how those things usualy go. Anyway, just one "inside the box? what box?" example that I'd consider "perfectly by-the-book". :roll:

Well, to the "letter of the law" perhaps. :roll:

Carry on.
:D
Love,
-White Paw

More
02 Sep 2005 02:10 #2305 by argonaut

Or the letter of the Paw ...

More
02 Sep 2005 03:03 #2306 by lfan
Excuse me, I never said 'facility' or 'protective'.....wait a minute, I guess I did......

OK, screw it! As long as it has a 'break' and a 'custody' element, its fair game....

Or maybe I'll lean toward another topic.....time to ponder in front of a Surreal Life marathon.....

Will have my final decision on a topic in time....

Peace
LF

He he he.

As usual, what I don't write is just as important as what I do.

I was actually planning on a liberal shoveling of my usual creative license on the 'break someone from creative custody' were it to be chosen. I never said 'facility', just 'custody'. Never said 'start from the outside', just 'break from'. And 'protective' is always relative to your point of view.

For example a scene I'd envisioned for it would take place in a mob-controlled gentleman's club, where the owner was detaining an otherwise hostile witness. The ubergirl in question's secret ID would be as a police detective. She and her partner would agree to investigate the club incognito and split up. While the partner takes up position at the bar, as agreed, she agrees to snoop around backstage. Well...until she blazes on stage in her police outfit and tries to put on a 'dirty cop' show and effect the hostage escape without blowing her REAL cover.

You know how those things usualy go. Anyway, just one "inside the box? what box?" example that I'd consider "perfectly by-the-book". :roll:

Carry on.
Love,
-White Paw

More
02 Sep 2005 05:11 #2307 by WhitePaw
Nutha idea:

Real estate sales offices all look the same.
Phil sauntered up to Cindy's cubicle. "You doin anything for Halloween?"
She eyed him in an unspoken 'ppplease' over her black-framed glasses. "Wanna come?"
His heart lept. She doesn't have a date!?! "Uh...sure."
"Cool." She chirped that too easily. "I'll drive. Pick you up at 8?"
He'd dropped into her plush sedan before he could get a full eye of her costume.
DAAWMN! "Uh...nice supergirl outfit."
"Thanks." She winked and tossed her hair back before standing on the gas. "Nice office casual. You'll stand out just fine."
He didn't care where they were going. His eyes hugged her sleekly toned legs rather than the road the entire way over...mostly. Didn't realize she was so....FREAKING STACKED....she must be paddin those...
"Bring your bucket?" She winked as her skirt flashed her thong on the way out of the car.
"What?"
"Goin trick-or-treating!" She bounced around the car. "Comawn, it'll be fun!"
"Uh...." His eyes opened to the neighborhood for the first time. It was far more 'hood' than 'neighbor'. "Cindy?"
"Trust me. This is the BEST place!" She bounded up a frail-looking set of apartment stairs like a gazelle, skirt flashing like a doe's tail all the way.
He scrambled up after her as she pounded loudly on an ancient, splintering door and arrived just in time to be caught in it's maw as it swung open.
The roach motel was packed with shaved heads, tatoos, torn up couches, bandanas, smoke, bottles, angry looks, knives, cash, dominoes, pounding music...and guns.
Lots of guns.
Most of them pointed out the door.
"Trick or treat!" She beamed.

Finish THAT (1000 words from there)! :evil:

Love,
-White Paw

More
02 Sep 2005 07:01 #2308 by YAGS
The concept of everyone continuing the same story could be interesting.

White Paw's suggestion gave me an additional idea for a one word theme suggestion: Halloween. Several of the topics suggested so far could fit into this one, and the timing's right for it with October coming up.

YAGS

More
02 Sep 2005 07:17 #2309 by WhitePaw
Yeah, at this rate, it'll be "national dress-up day" before this round wraps up.

And I meant a " :twisted: "

Love,
-White Paw

More
02 Sep 2005 10:18 #2310 by conceptfan
Hey, Whitepaw. That's not a bad concept. Why don't you start a new interactive story with that text?

"Haloween" (costumes, trick/treating) etc. is a very North American thing (although they seem to have it in Uzbekistan too, unless you're lying about your location).

Sorry, but the "horror" idea doesn't do much for me. Personally, for Workshop 2.2, I like Whitepaw's other ("custody") idea. "Don't worry, sir. You're perfectly safe here. No-one can get in. These walls are two foot th- What the hell was that...?" If we could be vague enough with the wording, then everyone should be able to find an angle to suit.

I also think Mikey's idea - every story beginning with the same words - is great for a 1000-word piece. It would be really interesting to see where different authors go from the exact same starting point.

More
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds