Amount

SGInc "Short" Story Workshop 2.2 Poll and Comments

22 Oct 2005 23:14 #3173 by conceptfan
Bland enough to have provoked that response, anyway. (Or was he just showing off again?)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Oct 2005 00:45 #3174 by brantley
He's just planning to write a story called "Super Kitty and the Million Mouse March," but byline it Conceptmouse.

More
23 Oct 2005 03:04 #3175 by Velvet
Oh, gag me with a spoon!

Velvet

:x

More
24 Oct 2005 06:31 #3178 by ace191
I would like to thank everyone for their kind words and constructive criticism on my stories, especially CF. I really liked WhitePaw’short story idea for a guy who goes out trick or treating (or to a Halloween Party) with his girlfriend/wife/lover dressed up as a Superheroine who then turns out to have real super powers. That was the inspiration for
Trick or Treat. I also tried to get Admin or Lfan to post it early so it would lead into Late Supper so that I could get 2000 words in on the 1000 word limit, but they were too smart to fall for that. Guess I will have to go back to Evil U to take some remedial classes in Supervillainy!

In regards to “Mindfrakk” I have read it 5 times. I like to solve puzzles and this story certainly is one. This is definitely a new twist. Is Supergirl tormenting someone? Is she crazy herself or does some nut think she is Supergirl? Or is the good Doc the one who is missing a screw? And who is Pt M? Never mind, you are number Six.

I think there is plenty of room at SWM for someone who thinks (and writes) “Outside the Cage” so to speak.

In terms of putting myself in the story, I have always had a “thing” for Star Sapphire and this was of course my fantasy. But I realize now that it would have been better not to name anyone and thus others could have imagined themselves in that position. I will not repeat that misteak!

I just want to thank Admin and Lfan for their efforts on this site which I find a nice
escape from work!

More
24 Oct 2005 11:58 #3179 by brantley
I'm surprised nobody's voted for "Late Supper." I thought that was better.

More
24 Oct 2005 18:07 #3183 by brantley
Well, every story's got at least one vote.

But 26 votes total? How many members does SWM, and what percentage does that represent? I think the final turnout for the last contest was just 34. But this time the stories are shorter. Come on, guys (and gals!), you can make time for this, let the writers know you're INTERESTED. Light up their lives a bit! :idea: 8)

More
26 Oct 2005 04:53 #3195 by brad328
Replied by brad328 on topic Thank You
Since voting is pretty much finished, I wanted to take the time to thank everyone who voted for my story (Supergirl Phenomenon 2.0: Prison Break).

My goal was to get one vote and, in all honesty, I didn't feel it would get any. I didn't think that people be that into it since it skewed differently, as far as tone, from the other entries.

I was also worried people would be turned off from the slight FMG element in the story (which, compared to 99% of that kind of fiction, wasn't much at all). It's not something approached in the stories posted here so I didn't know what the audience would think.

Plus, the other writers involved are much better at this than I am, more well-known, and definately more creative. Both Ace and White Paw wrote more stories for this workshop than I have in my entire life and I felt I would get lost in the shuffle.

My biggest fear was the fact that this was my first piece of fiction I've ever written and I don't have any sort of style or sense of pacing as far as dialogue and action so that's probably why it came off as generic. I thought that the best comment I'd get was "It wasn't a total train wreck for your first time".

But I have to thank the four people who thought enough of my story to vote for it and for people like Argonaut, CF, and White Paw to contribute kind comments about what I've written. And anyone else who enjoyed my work, I am thankful for all the support.

I'd also like to address why I piggybacked the original "Supergirl Phenomenon". I needed to find a reason for the main character to become a superheroine and I couldn't think of one, so I used the idea of it just "happening". Call it magic. Call it wish fufillment. I call it me being lazy :wink:

As far as continuing the story. I hadn't thought about it before. I have no idea how to continue it but I did like the "Moonlighting" suggestion and if I can think of some snappy and witty dialogue you may see a continuation of the story.

So, thanks again as this response has exceeded my wildest expectations.

-BW

More
26 Oct 2005 06:27 #3196 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Re: Thank You

My biggest fear was the fact that this was my first piece of fiction I've ever written and I don't have any sort of style or sense of pacing as far as dialogue and action so that's probably why it came off as generic. I thought that the best comment I'd get was "It wasn't a total train wreck for your first time".

Hey, welcome to the club and I know just how you feel! 3 months ago
I wrote my first story ever (and had it put up against Randolph and Kim by CF and The Super One by Marknew as well as three other terrific stories). I really felt like a high school kid suddenly having to bat against
Sandy Koufax. Everyone on the web site was very nice and a couple of folks sent me private e-mails with some great pointers on how to write better stories. I am still very much a "rookie" at this, but I am having
fun doing something that I always wanted to try, but never thought
I was good enought to do. I think this site is a great place to get your
feet wet and I would encourage everyone out there with any interest to give it a try!

More
26 Oct 2005 13:29 #3197 by admin
The poll has now closed.

Thank you to everyone who voted, and especially to all our authors. I'm sure Lfan will agree that this was one of the most successful SGInc Story Workshops to date, with a wide range of styles, new authors and a high quality throughout. The closeness of the vote reflects this. Here are the final results:

"The Free Man's Last Song" by Supergirlssexslave 5 votes (16%)
"The Supergirl Phenomenon 2.0" by BW 4 votes (13%)
"On the Run" by Marknew 4 votes (13%)
"One Pint" by Conceptfan 4 votes (13%)
"Double Blind" by Brantley Thompson Elkins 3 votes (10%)
"Iced" by Whitepaw 3 votes (10%)
"Mindfrakk" by Whitepaw 2 votes (6%)
"Trick or Treat" by Ace191 2 votes (6%)
"Aliens Among Us" by Lfan 1 vote (3%)
"Late Supper" by Ace191 1 vote (3%)
"Brimstone Nights" by Whitepaw 1 vote (3%)

Congratulations Supergirlssexslave who gets to pick the topic for the SGInc Short Story Workshop 2.3. Don't forget to post your suggestions for 2.3 themes in the new thread "SGI "short" Story Workshop 2.3 Topic Suggestions"

admin.

• admin
  • admin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
26 Oct 2005 22:07 #3210 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Re: Thank You

I'd also like to address why I piggybacked the original "Supergirl Phenomenon". I needed to find a reason for the main character to become a superheroine and I couldn't think of one, so I used the idea of it just "happening". Call it magic. Call it wish fufillment. I call it me being lazy :wink: ...

So, thanks again as this response has exceeded my wildest expectations.

-BW

Thank you!

I'm sure the author of the original "Supergirl Phenomenon" wasn't the first to use the "transformation-via-magical-wish-fulfillment" device. Besides, there's only so much you can do in 1,000 words. (In my story, it was never explained how Elena became super-powerful, and I still exceeded the limit!)

More
Time to create page: 0.063 seconds