Amount

Rounding out the roundabout

08 Feb 2006 05:02 #4419 by WhitePaw
Rounding out the roundabout was created by WhitePaw
Now I know we gots a flamin' 1000-word limbo stick goin on, and that knuckle-draggin 'unlimited' class blazing away Mitchner-style at a full turtle's gallop, but--

Nuthin goin ons for the middle weights.

Yeah, yeah, had this discussion before, nobody can decide on a length/format/regulation tiddlywinks yadda yadda yada.

Well I seem to have this longwave inspiration that drops out well-rounded stories at right around 10,000 words every six months or so. That's enough space to stretch out a little 1000-word limbo piece for its proper due, but without gettin all watery-runny at the keyboard like them knuckledraggers in the unlimited class do.

It sounds like a monolyth, I know, but it really works out to about 25 pages, single spaced, way my computer tells me I write. It's an epic novel to me, a short prelude to some. Takes me about two days solid or four or five part timing it to bang out...and 6 months waitin' around for a wad of inspiration that big to come along to stick the next one to your shoe.

"Tangerine" was my last of this weight class last August. I just finished chainsawing out "Galaxy" today. It's up at my site, and I've mailed it to Addy for the storybank here.

Yeah. Chainsawing. It don't gotta be fancy. Just well rounded out.

So what'dya say? Any you lilly livers out there in a leather slappin mood?

I propose Workshop 10.0: 10,000 words, origin story/worldbuilding (they all come out that way in this weight class anyway), 6 months to deliver.

Takers?

Wuv,
-White Paw :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WhitePaw
  • WhitePaw's Avatar Topic Author
More
08 Feb 2006 16:51 #4422 by conceptfan
Replied by conceptfan on topic Re: Rounding out the roundabout
So, let me get this straight:

You want us "knuckle-draggers" to rush at our "full turtle's gallop" to create a brand new class of Workshop because it suits YOU? (I think that's the gist of what you're saying).

Why not enter one of your 10,000 word "chainsawings" into an unlimited workshop? There's been plenty of excellent entries in previous workshops of around that length or shorter. You'd know that if you'd checked.

Maybe you think the average SWManiac is so stupid that they vote for whichever story has the highest word count. This is not the case.

Do you seriously think this idea is going to generate more workshop entries overall (the whole point of SGInc Workshops)?

Or is this about you wanting to select the topic/theme of a workshop? That's what all those "Workshop x.y Topic Suggestions" forums are for.

More
08 Feb 2006 21:24 #4427 by helix111
Replied by helix111 on topic Re: Rounding out the roundabout
OK, I only understand every other word that WhitePaw has written, but maybe that's a good thing :wink:

I may be wrong but I would have thought that most entries in the 1.x workshops were around 10000 words (obviously there is a spread). In fact there is something elegant about a shorter story such that if I really couldn't choose between two entries, I'd be more inclined to go for the shorter one simply because the author has managed to impress me in fewer words!

I agree with you about how frustrating it is when you're stuck for ideas, but if you can't think of anything to write, just don't enter. The next topic might be right up you're street. The topics seem that have been chosen thus far are fairly varied anyway.

Finally, in this post www.superwomenmania.com/forum/viewtopic....t=507&highlight=
you say how bored you are with origin/revelation stories. Why the sudden change of heart?

More
08 Feb 2006 22:15 #4428 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Re: Rounding out the roundabout
OK....let's go over this again then:

Workshop 1.X -- free-form anything goes as long as on topic; 1 to Infinity number of words (side note: Chuck Norris has counted to infinity -- twice); Knuckle-draggers, accomplished authors, newbies or any combination thereof welcome; any degree of pompousness accepted (and most likely ignored)

Workshop 2.X -- same as above except has to be under 1000 words

Focker OUT!!

More
09 Feb 2006 04:14 #4430 by ultragirl
Replied by ultragirl on topic Re: Rounding out the roundabout
Overreacting a bit maybe? Ever think that "knuckledragers" was a compliment? You know? Heavyweights. Big boys. That kind of thing.

Sounds like nothing more than making a suggestion to me. I agree that that the unlimited word count covers it, but I don't think the lashing was necessary.

I know for a fact he doesn't think anyone is stupid. (Although the point of his stories is missed most of the time.)

Ease up. He is who he is. Take it for a grain of salt. Some of us actually enjoy his "wit" such as it is. :P Seriously, I don't understand why you guys get so crazy every time he says anything.

Much like Helix's comment about not entering if you don't like it, take your own advice. Don't comment if you don't like it. Just ignore him.

Sorry. Rant over. I just think he gets beat up over such petty things.

More
09 Feb 2006 06:43 #4431 by WhitePaw
Replied by WhitePaw on topic Re: Rounding out the roundabout
Thanks, Ultragirl. My next story's for you...maybe even that "little" thing we talked about earlier...

Well, I guess some people can't be pleased-- and some people can't be teased.

Seems like I've pitched over a whole nest of the latter again, if not both. We're all making public fools of ourselves again over each other and it feels nausiatingly familiar.

Here's the truth about me: I write just the same as any of you: from my heart's deepest darkest, and with every ounce and tallent of who I am, holding nothing back-- not to be read, understood, or even liked. THIS is the source of our absolute finest material--without all the clutter.

I post for two and only two reasons, same as any and all of you: because I think I'm talented, and because I like to show off. Lately I've been getting zip back from either so I'm wondering why I bother. Probably feeling just the same as some of you feel about me--and probably feeling the same way as some of you feel about your own 'life' here.

I've got professional literary editors in my address book who've read my material. Their comments typically run: "remove references to trademarks" and "wow. when can you start?" I'm needing less and less of what I'm not really getting here at SWM. I'm getting the pure stuff from the pros lately.

From them I know I am a truely impressive writer, not just in this genre, but in a world-class way--regardless of if you've eyes to see it or not. And I'm only getting better with practice.

It seems we've all forgotten how to apologize around here. I'll start. I'm sorry for all the tough love so close to your vitals. I was only trying to lift your eyes to the true horizons of your potential, and perhaps kick a little butt to get you started down that road. But I know how stab-and-twist that can feel to have somebody run bloody tiretracks over what you just pulled from your own heart. And who the hell am I to judge anyway (so stop asking).

And I realize now that that's not what anybody comes here for (see above).

Here. I'll save you the trouble of shouting: "GEEZ! FINALLY!"

I give up, and I'm so stupid sorry for trying.

Again.

So what will it be people? Are we all to roll over and start being each other's biggest fans? Or should I go for another walkabout, and let us all air the plaque of rocks from our skulls for a few months (years)?

Like I said. I write for my own bemusement-- really. I don't need you for that. I'm here for the showing off and bragging rights. I'm willing to give back now if you are.

Else goodbye. I'm fool enough without sticking around for more of this.

Wuv,
-White Paw.

• WhitePaw
  • WhitePaw's Avatar Topic Author
More
09 Feb 2006 10:23 #4435 by conceptfan
Replied by conceptfan on topic Re: Rounding out the roundabout

Ever think that "knuckledragers" was a compliment? You know? Heavyweights. Big boys. That kind of thing.

No. It's an insult. The term refers to apes and pre-evolved humans. Go up to a heavyweight boxer and call him a knuckle-dragger. Chances are you'll wake up in hospital.

For me: it's like this: this forum, the SGI Workshops, the StoryBank, ImageBank and everything associated with them are all about helping each other to enjoy our fondness/love/interest in/lust for [delete as applicable] superwomen. It is definitely not about showing off. It's about people with a common interest coming together (fnarr, fnarr) and sharing news, resources and materials. At its very best it is about the encouragement of the creation of new material (photomanips, stories etc.)

I responded harshly to the suggestion mostly because of the way in which it was expressed. It angered me. I know, it's Whitepaw's way. Some like it, some chose to ignore. Great.

I want to know why was there any need to mention this in the response: "I've got professional literary editors in my address book who've read my material. Their comments typically run: "remove references to trademarks" and "wow. when can you start?" " What's that got to do with the number of words in SGI workshops? Why the f*** is he telling us that? Surely, no-one can expect to post in such a way without expecting someone to respond negatively?

More
09 Feb 2006 12:37 #4436 by helix111
Replied by helix111 on topic Re: Rounding out the roundabout

Ease up. He is who he is. Take it for a grain of salt.

I think if someone feels like they're being insulted, they have a perfect right to complain about it. It's the whole idea of free speech. The demonstrations we had in London recently illustrate this point.

Much like Helix's comment about not entering if you don't like it, take your own advice. Don't comment if you don't like it. Just ignore him.

Firstly, Whitepaw actually asked for feedback.

Secondly, see the above point.

Thirdly, this argument could equally be applied to Whitepaw. If he doesn'y like a certain type of story/author, maybe he should keep quiet...

On a serious note, I think this argument has been caused by some of us having to translate Whitepaw's post's into more conventional English. Whenever you translate something, there are errors and misinterpretations. Maybe Whitepaw meant to be insulting, maybe he didn't; I honestly don't know. But if some poeple have taken offense, I don't think they can be blamed for it.

More
09 Feb 2006 14:05 #4438 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Re: Rounding out the roundabout
WOW! We managed to beat this one to death in 8 posts! We are getting better! :P Seriously, folks, slaps on the wrists and apologies for everyone, let's move on.....

Topic Locked!

LF

Ease up. He is who he is. Take it for a grain of salt.

I think if someone feels like they're being insulted, they have a perfect right to complain about it. It's the whole idea of free speech. The demonstrations we had in London recently illustrate this point.

Firstly, Whitepaw actually asked for feedback.

Secondly, see the above point.

Thirdly, this argument could equally be applied to Whitepaw. If he doesn'y like a certain type of story/author, maybe he should keep quiet...

On a serious note, I think this argument has been caused by some of us having to translate Whitepaw's post's into more conventional English. Whenever you translate something, there are errors and misinterpretations. Maybe Whitepaw meant to be insulting, maybe he didn't; I honestly don't know. But if some poeple have taken offense, I don't think they can be blamed for it.

More
Time to create page: 0.063 seconds