• veggicidal's Avatar Topic Author
More
21 Aug 2018 17:25 #60749 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Prodigy!
These are pretty cool.
The topic has been locked.
More
21 Aug 2018 17:32 #60752 by Agent00Soul
Replied by Agent00Soul on topic Prodigy!
Great idea for a collaboration!
More
21 Aug 2018 18:04 #60756 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Prodigy!
Knowing how those pictures worked in the original context kind of killed the mood for me. I hope you got permission from Johnny and the people that commissioned those pictures to reuse them.
More
21 Aug 2018 18:09 #60757 by Agent00Soul
Replied by Agent00Soul on topic Prodigy!

Woodclaw wrote: Knowing how those pictures worked in the original context kind of killed the mood for me. I hope you got permission from Johnny and the people that commissioned those pictures to reuse them.

Is the original context very different?
More
21 Aug 2018 18:18 #60759 by Monty
Replied by Monty on topic Prodigy!

Woodclaw wrote: Knowing how those pictures worked in the original context kind of killed the mood for me. I hope you got permission from Johnny and the people that commissioned those pictures to reuse them.

Well I gave Johnny a thank you and will hopefully promote his DA account amongst our members. I am sure he will welcome the publicity!
More
21 Aug 2018 18:19 #60760 by Woodclaw

Agent00Soul wrote:

Absolutely.
First of all those pictures portray characters from three different authors: American Mom is the signature character of JohnnyHaradrim, the guy who made these pictures; the lady in red and silver is Lady Quantum, from the author of the same name; while Prodigy (formerly American Hero) is the soemtimes-antagonist of the Soviet Superwoman, by my friend Olga.
As they are the pictures also refer to very different storylines. The first is from Johnny's personal stories about American Mom raising her kids. The second and thrid are guest comic where AM goes shopping with Lady Quantum. The final ones are from the de-villainification of Prodigy by SSW.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Agent00Soul
More
21 Aug 2018 18:50 #60762 by Monty
The following user(s) said Thank You: Agent00Soul
More
21 Aug 2018 20:00 #60763 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Prodigy!

Woodclaw wrote:

Agent00Soul wrote:

Absolutely.
First of all those pictures portray characters from three different authors: American Mom is the signature character of JohnnyHaradrim, the guy who made these pictures; the lady in red and silver is Lady Quantum, from the author of the same name; while Prodigy (formerly American Hero) is the soemtimes-antagonist of the Soviet Superwoman, by my friend Olga.
As they are the pictures also refer to very different storylines. The first is from Johnny's personal stories about American Mom raising her kids. The second and thrid are guest comic where AM goes shopping with Lady Quantum. The final ones are from the de-villainification of Prodigy by SSW.

I get the cognitive dissonance of recognizing the multiple non overlapping characters vs. the story thread.  

I want to address the other part of this: permission.  Because while you're right ... in context few here actually care.

This entire board does this constantly -- posts artwork w/o crediting the artist and images w/o crediting the photographer or model, often writting little blurbs of story to go with them, I'm not sure why this should be singled out, especially since he did credit the artist.  Ideally he would have linked directly to Johnny Haradrim's DA page _and_ credited the characters/owners he used for his story.  I'm not sure that this little toss away post on a board like this warrants getting permission to use the images.  (i.e. it's exceedinginly rare that anyone here gets permission from the copyright holder to post an image.

Mind, this sort of thing bothers me. It's one thing to post John Byrne images who ceratinly doesn't need any exposure or help (and whose artwork is probably recognizable to most here), but another someone like Johnny Haradrim.  I do think that overall things have gotten better in the last few years though. A reverse image search and usually you can find the original artist pretty quickly.   And, I 'm going ot point out that Fats only _sometimes_ credits the artist and he's the one who would enforce things like this.  Certainly he squelches copyright video pretty handlily (and rightly so, it's the same problem x1000 due to the extra difficulty/cost).

i.e. this board most specially _does not care_ about such thing, because the main moderator doesn't.  Now, I'm not picking on Fats, far from it, becuase he sometimes DOES credit images w/ makes him better than 99% of the rest of the web (not just SWM) who rarely ever give credit.

Proof, open up the 'A few images2 - The Sequel" thread.  First post is Fats, posting a lot of images and not crediting them.  Scroll down a bit and you'll find me nicely mention who created one of them and that I commissioned it, BTW this happens a few times in the thread where someone tracks down images he posts.  People DO care, because they want to see more like it.  (And I generally post links to cosplayers and some idea what you'll find, and often find someone posting a few images from it later.  Meaning "mission accomplished",)

Again, I'm NOT picking on him, because a large # of people doing it, i'm just pointing out it starts at the top and flows down.  Nor am i saying i'm a saint and always do the right thing, because I know that I don't.  Also I looked at the end of that same thread, and there is MUCH higher crediting of the artist/cosplayer at the end of the thread than at the beginning.  We're getting better.

I'm seen my commissions posted here a few times ... and i'm pretty sure LaraFan credits me (at one point he was using one as an avatar and then after the fact asked me if that was ok, which it totally was). But i'm pretty sure he's the only one who has done so. 

We have an entire thread of stealing images of Asian women and writing stories about them.

Certainly artists are a bit more possessive about their images than professonal models (there is a huge dispartity in pay there).

But, if we want to open that can of works (permission), it's a BIG CAN with worms so big that freemen are riding them.  I honestly don't think we want to do that.  It would be nice if people were a bit better in crediting the source of an image (if they can find it), DOUBLY so if it's an arstist who is still active and taking commissions.  Your post could generate revenue for the artist!  Links are awesome, and mean that people can easily follow up and generate real traffic for the source images.

Note: I love Johnny Haradrim's Artwork, and I've commissioned him several times. He's even made me some gift images. So while he's not a friend, he's an "internet friend", and I've chatted with im via email/DA posts more than a bit.  A great guy. (I absolutely do not speak for him though, just me.)

www.deviantart.com/johnnyharadrim
www.deviantart.com/cerebus873/gallery/?c...t=0&q=Johnnyharadrim

His artwork is fantastic and fun, and RIGHT up the alley of everyone here.  His rates are REALLY reasonable and he's a good guy to work with.  i.e. if you've ever wanted to get some custom artwork made, he's a good guy for ANYONE here to commission.  Few artsits can handle the range of normal/slightly muscled/buff/omg buff and keep the image sexy like he can.

And yes, I absolutely got his permission to post those images in my DA Gallery.  I do for all artists I commision..  If they say no, I don't post!  Unless explicitly stated during commissioning I do not own the copyright on the art, I just commissioned the image, and it usually costs a LOT more to get the copyright.  I've done things like print t-shirts, make my own print outs, etc.  All with permission (most artists will nicely tell you as long as it's for personal use, and you aren't making $$ off it, go right ahead.)

Read a few of my image posts ... it's rare if I don't post a link to the artist or cosplayer.  Read the text below some of my commission where I mentioned the artist and what it was like to work with them.

When I say it bothers me that people post images w/o credit, it bothers me and I take pains to try to do the right thing and set an example.

But This post?  It doesn't bother me though I'd have like the credits to include links to the original images on Johnny's DA page at least (where people could have found the original context and copyrights).

And of course, everyone contemplate if they should commission him.  Which everyone should totaly do.

Sorry for ranting.

Also, Woodclaw does generally credit images and champions creators, so he's being consistant here  in his comment.  If you read that i'm inferring otherwise, I do not mean to.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Woodclaw, Monty
More
21 Aug 2018 22:03 #60765 by Woodclaw
I singled this one out because Johnny and Olga are "DA-pals" of mine, so seeing multiple picture that the first create and the other commisioned probably triggered me.
I phrased my earlier post wrong and i fully admit that a simple link to Johnny's DA page, or hotlinking the original picutres instead of uploading copies would have been so.

I'm sorry Monty for jumping at you.

TwiceOnThursdays wrote: I get the cognitive dissonance of recognizing the multiple non overlapping characters vs. the story thread.  

I want to address the other part of this: permission.  Because while you're right ... in context few here actually care.

This entire board does this constantly -- posts artwork w/o crediting the artist and images w/o crediting the photographer or model, often writting little blurbs of story to go with them, I'm not sure why this should be singled out, especially since he did credit the artist.  Ideally he would have linked directly to Johnny Haradrim's DA page _and_ credited the characters/owners he used for his story.  I'm not sure that this little toss away post on a board like this warrants getting permission to use the images.  (i.e. it's exceedinginly rare that anyone here gets permission from the copyright holder to post an image.

Mind, this sort of thing bothers me. It's one thing to post John Byrne images who ceratinly doesn't need any exposure or help (and whose artwork is probably recognizable to most here), but another someone like Johnny Haradrim.  I do think that overall things have gotten better in the last few years though. A reverse image search and usually you can find the original artist pretty quickly.   And, I 'm going ot point out that Fats only _sometimes_ credits the artist and he's the one who would enforce things like this.  Certainly he squelches copyright video pretty handlily (and rightly so, it's the same problem x1000 due to the extra difficulty/cost).

i.e. this board most specially _does not care_ about such thing, because the main moderator doesn't.  Now, I'm not picking on Fats, far from it, becuase he sometimes DOES credit images w/ makes him better than 99% of the rest of the web (not just SWM) who rarely ever give credit.

Proof, open up the 'A few images2 - The Sequel" thread.  First post is Fats, posting a lot of images and not crediting them.  Scroll down a bit and you'll find me nicely mention who created one of them and that I commissioned it, BTW this happens a few times in the thread where someone tracks down images he posts.  People DO care, because they want to see more like it.  (And I generally post links to cosplayers and some idea what you'll find, and often find someone posting a few images from it later.  Meaning "mission accomplished",)

Again, I'm NOT picking on him, because a large # of people doing it, i'm just pointing out it starts at the top and flows down.  Nor am i saying i'm a saint and always do the right thing, because I know that I don't.  Also I looked at the end of that same thread, and there is MUCH higher crediting of the artist/cosplayer at the end of the thread than at the beginning.  We're getting better.

I'm seen my commissions posted here a few times ... and i'm pretty sure LaraFan credits me (at one point he was using one as an avatar and then after the fact asked me if that was ok, which it totally was). But i'm pretty sure he's the only one who has done so. 

We have an entire thread of stealing images of Asian women and writing stories about them.

Certainly artists are a bit more possessive about their images than professonal models (there is a huge dispartity in pay there).

But, if we want to open that can of works (permission), it's a BIG CAN with worms so big that freemen are riding them.  I honestly don't think we want to do that.  It would be nice if people were a bit better in crediting the source of an image (if they can find it), DOUBLY so if it's an arstist who is still active and taking commissions.  Your post could generate revenue for the artist!  Links are awesome, and mean that people can easily follow up and generate real traffic for the source images.

Note: I love Johnny Haradrim's Artwork, and I've commissioned him several times. He's even made me some gift images. So while he's not a friend, he's an "internet friend", and I've chatted with im via email/DA posts more than a bit.  A great guy. (I absolutely do not speak for him though, just me.)

www.deviantart.com/johnnyharadrim
www.deviantart.com/cerebus873/gallery/?c...t=0&q=Johnnyharadrim

His artwork is fantastic and fun, and RIGHT up the alley of everyone here.  His rates are REALLY reasonable and he's a good guy to work with.  i.e. if you've ever wanted to get some custom artwork made, he's a good guy for ANYONE here to commission.  Few artsits can handle the range of normal/slightly muscled/buff/omg buff and keep the image sexy like he can.

And yes, I absolutely got his permission to post those images in my DA Gallery.  I do for all artists I commision..  If they say no, I don't post!  Unless explicitly stated during commissioning I do not own the copyright on the art, I just commissioned the image, and it usually costs a LOT more to get the copyright.  I've done things like print t-shirts, make my own print outs, etc.  All with permission (most artists will nicely tell you as long as it's for personal use, and you aren't making $$ off it, go right ahead.)

Read a few of my image posts ... it's rare if I don't post a link to the artist or cosplayer.  Read the text below some of my commission where I mentioned the artist and what it was like to work with them.

When I say it bothers me that people post images w/o credit, it bothers me and I take pains to try to do the right thing and set an example.

But This post?  It doesn't bother me though I'd have like the credits to include links to the original images on Johnny's DA page at least (where people could have found the original context and copyrights).

And of course, everyone contemplate if they should commission him.  Which everyone should totaly do.

Sorry for ranting.

Also, Woodclaw does generally credit images and champions creators, so he's being consistant here  in his comment.  If you read that i'm inferring otherwise, I do not mean to.

The following user(s) said Thank You: TwiceOnThursdays, Monty
More
21 Aug 2018 22:44 - 21 Aug 2018 22:45 #60768 by jasminevancroft
Replied by jasminevancroft on topic Prodigy!
I think its off-putting that everyone jumped on the stealing/not stealing thing, an no one mentioned that the narrative said that this girl is supposed to be 16.
Last edit: 21 Aug 2018 22:45 by jasminevancroft.
More
22 Aug 2018 09:28 - 22 Aug 2018 09:31 #60773 by jnw550
Replied by jnw550 on topic Prodigy!

jasminevancroft wrote: I think its off-putting that everyone jumped on the stealing/not stealing thing, an no one mentioned that the narrative said that this girl is supposed to be 16.

I didn’t see anything sexual mentioned, displayed, or acted out.  Not sure why that’s a big deal.  Her costume isn’t even that revealing by today’s standards.  I’ve seen much less worn by teenagers on screen, YouTube and other social media and no one today bats an eye.

Let’s not create a problem that doesn’t exist.
Last edit: 22 Aug 2018 09:31 by jnw550.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395
More
22 Aug 2018 09:46 #60774 by Woodclaw

jnw550 wrote:

jasminevancroft wrote: I think its off-putting that everyone jumped on the stealing/not stealing thing, an no one mentioned that the narrative said that this girl is supposed to be 16.

I didn’t see anything sexual mentioned, displayed, or acted out.  Not sure why that’s a big deal.  Her costume isn’t even that revealing by today’s standards.  I’ve seen much less worn by teenagers on screen, YouTube and other social media and no one today bats an eye.

As JNW550 said the rules of SWM prohibit sexual content with underage character, not the general depiction of underage characters.
More
22 Aug 2018 16:57 #60775 by jasminevancroft
Replied by jasminevancroft on topic Prodigy!
I'm not saying its illegal.

I'm not saying its right.
More
22 Aug 2018 17:20 - 22 Aug 2018 17:33 #60776 by Monty

jasminevancroft wrote: I'm not saying its illegal.

I'm not saying its right.

Woah! Can of worms opened right there - there are plenty of stories of teenagers being granted superpowers.
Look at Supergirl Helen Slater. How old was she depicted as? Look at G-Girl gaining her powers. How old was she?
Last edit: 22 Aug 2018 17:33 by Monty.
More
22 Aug 2018 17:21 #60777 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Prodigy!

Woodclaw wrote:

jnw550 wrote:

As JNW550 said the rules of SWM prohibit sexual content with underage character, not the general depiction of underage characters.

I'm glad you clarified that, Woodclaw. I've been working for some time on a short-novel about the family of Kara Zor El and Kal El and their dozen children, and I've focused any overt sexual behavior to those 18 and over. The story begins with Alura, who is 20, who brings her boyfriend home to meet her parents so he can ask for her hand in marriage. A rather dramatic event that doesn't exactly go according to plan. (Put yourself in his place, meeting the famous superheroes for the first time on their home turf). He's gotten to know Alura while they are away at the university, in a world where she lives a fairly normal life, and he has no idea of the inner workings of a Kryptonian family. 

But I've got all kinds of scenes that involve the other kids as well, from age 2 to 16, without any trace of sexual content regarding them. Glad I'm painting within the lines --  as they are defined for SWM. 

Shadar
  • shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
22 Aug 2018 18:06 #60779 by Monty

jasminevancroft wrote: MONTY:
Oh please, don't act so naive. This site is for people to get some kind of sexual gratification from the concept of women having superpowers, not the mere concept of superpowers. If you wanna defend talking about a mega-breasted 16 year old in an exceptionally skimpy outfit, that's on you. There is a reason I don't like posting on this site or visiting often. Tolerance of things like this is one of them.

SHADAR:
I am perfectly fine with backstories of characters. I have done the same and my stories are extremely sexual. Having borders and distinctions between the moments when you have fully clothed children in non-sexual situations and less-than-clothed adults is all that is required. The fact that this post started with a 16 year old bouncing around with adult breasts in a leotard and no one seemed to mind is the issue I have.

I stand by my original post regarding Helen Slater. How old was the character she played?
More
22 Aug 2018 18:31 - 22 Aug 2018 18:33 #60780 by shadar

Monty wrote:

Oh please, don't act so naive. This site is for people to get some kind of sexual gratification from the concept of women having superpowers, not the mere concept of superpowers. If you wanna defend talking about a mega-breasted 16 year old in an exceptionally skimpy outfit, that's on you. There is a reason I don't like posting on this site or visiting often. Tolerance of things like this is one of them.

SHADAR:
I am perfectly fine with backstories of characters. I have done the same and my stories are extremely sexual. Having borders and distinctions between the moments when you have fully clothed children in non-sexual situations and less-than-clothed adults is all that is required. The fact that this post started with a 16 year old bouncing around with adult breasts in a leotard and no one seemed to mind is the issue I have.

I stand by my original post regarding Helen Slater. How old was the character she played?

She was playing a 15 year old girl. And a key theme was the sexual competition for a man between a grown woman and young Kara. But some rather chaste kissing was as far as it went. I'd be surprised if SWM mods would consider those scenes inappropriate in a story posted here. 

There is a big difference between innocent sexual play and overt erotica. I always include some of the later in my stories, but try not to make it what the story is about, but rather simply an expression of what adults do when they are attracted to each other. 

And yes, suspersex is a thing. Absolutely. For sure. But it shouldn't involve children (defined as under 18). 

Laws in that regard are quite variable worldwide. Sometimes 16+ is OK. But 18+ is pretty much guaranteed to keep SWM out of any potential trouble. Society (North America, at least, can't speak for other regions) is not as tolerant now as it was back before the turn of the century. 

Shadar
Last edit: 22 Aug 2018 18:33 by shadar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, Monty
  • shadar
More
22 Aug 2018 19:16 #60782 by jnw550

SHADAR:

What an individual takes away from pictures like those are their responsibility.  
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395
More
22 Aug 2018 20:58 - 22 Aug 2018 21:01 #60783 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Prodigy!
OK, I've reviewed the topic and have spoken to the admins and a few mods and here is what I've decided to do.

The topics raised in the discussion needs to be dealt with in a thread of its own, there needs to be a better process for sharing of material gathered from around the net so with that in mind this is a new rule.

Posting of content without reference to the artist or creator will not be permitted unless it is shown that it the content is from an anonymous source, if the content has been shared on Facebook or another social media platform a link to the post must be included with the post, Admins will decide on the matter on a case by case basis,

One of the issues in this thread has been the posting of "sexualised" images of under 18's, we already have a rule in place for this but this thread has highlighted an issue with that, while the picture posted is not easily identifiable as under 18 it's the text that goes with the post that makes it under 18, so this puts me in a difficult position, so Monty can you please edit the text to change the ages to 18 and 19, that simple solution will resolve the issue of the age of the persons in the pictures.

This last point is the hardest for me to type, can we please stop with the sociological and political debates that seen to be getting more prevalent on this site, it's seriously scaring people off (even an admin or two), I can count on 2 hands the TOTAL number of people who post on this site and still have fingers spare to pick my nose, out of a membership of over 3200 people, some of the topics on this site have become, to be honest, a joke, we are having debates on the social and ethical merits of the topics and debating on nerdy aspects of the genre, I'm not calling for the debates to be dumbed down, just that members remember that most of the users might not understand what is going on in topics and that we need to remember that there are people who might just be starting on their path to enjoy the genre and also members who might not understand English all that much.

And we need to remember that this site is meant to be fun.

Fats
Last edit: 22 Aug 2018 21:01 by fats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Sarge395, shadar, Woodclaw, Dru1076, Kamelmann, SCOTT R, Agent00Soul, TwiceOnThursdays, Monty, RD, Woody
More
22 Aug 2018 21:05 #60784 by Monty
Ok, I will do. Thank you fats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fats
More
23 Aug 2018 00:03 #60787 by jnw550
Wow..,

Sent you a PM, fats.
More
23 Aug 2018 00:46 #60789 by shadar
Good points, Fats. You made me think. It's so easy to fall into nerdy, charged arguments around characters and stories. 

Political correctness, meaning speech that doesn't hurt, offend or alienate anyone, combined with an upbeat and optimistic outlook are very powerful forces for building a community. Which, after all, is something we want to do with SWM. 

Who would want to join a group of grumpy old men arguing about minuscule details? There are other forums for that stuff. 

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kamelmann
  • shadar
More
23 Aug 2018 00:55 #60790 by Raa
Replied by Raa on topic Prodigy!
Have to say I'm impressed.  How many times has this thread got hijacked?  Not that those hijacked sub-topics are not interesting, but...

Thanks for the interesting Prodigy story.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monty
More
23 Aug 2018 01:58 #60791 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Prodigy!

fats wrote:

Posting of content without reference to the artist or creator will not be permitted unless it is shown that it the content is from an anonymous source, if the content has been shared on Facebook or another social media platform a link to the post must be included with the post, Admins will decide on the matter on a case by case basis,

I have to say this is far more than I expected from my outburst.  It's a very nice change, and it is good etiquette (esp for lesser known creators). 

This rule is broken just about everywhere else on the internet, but it shouldn't be hard to find an original source. (I know as sometimes I search my commissions to find them and it's rare if it's credited when it's used to the artist (awesome) or me (only matters as someone could find the artist).)

If people don't know the tricks to find the original source, message me and I'll try to help you out.  I would hope that "I don't know who this is" is ok, because we've demonstrated that others will indeed go find that out (and have done so several times in the past w/o being prompted!)

fats wrote: And we need to remember that this site is meant to be fun.

Fats

And I hope that guiding principle goes to both enforcing this rule, and discourse.  More art is better!  I have a lot of art that I have no idea where it came from originally, and I try to always save things with names back to the artist!

I've not posted in some posts simply because I felt like I'd end up ranting like I did in this one (and it's not fun) or I'd be getting in to a converstation where I only want one shard of it and it's not the part that is getting the sunlight.  I used to post a lot more, and have more fun, so I'm thinking about why that is the case and what I can do about it.

In fact, I think my last several posts HAVE been rants, and I suspect I shut down a thread recently.   (sorry!)

OTH, one thing I like is that we CAN talk about weird tangents of things.  We just need to be aware and back off sometimes. ;-)
More
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds