Amount

At what stage do you call it a transformation?

07 Apr 2020 07:38 #67431 by Woody
I've been pondering this lately mainly due to Woodclaw and how he tags my stories. Firstly; happy with the tags Woodclaw dont change them

Most if not all of my stories have some variant of a transformation in there. I like writing them and a like the idea in general. My transformations generally however aren't of a physical nature but more a costume reveal and an indication that power levels have been increased. 

For me I'm just not a big fan of fmg growth transformations; they have a place dont get me wrong.

So this is my question. Does a transformation need a metaphysical element or are costume changes sufficient to convey the action occurring?

Note: this is just a small insight into my insanity caused in part by isolating.  Stay inside and stay safe everyone

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Woody
  • Woody's Avatar Topic Author
  • SWM - Junior
  • SWM - Junior
More
07 Apr 2020 08:37 - 07 Apr 2020 08:54 #67432 by Monty

Woody wrote: I've been pondering this lately mainly due to Woodclaw and how he tags my stories. Firstly; happy with the tags Woodclaw dont change them

Most if not all of my stories have some variant of a transformation in there. I like writing them and a like the idea in general. My transformations generally however aren't of a physical nature but more a costume reveal and an indication that power levels have been increased. 

For me I'm just not a big fan of fmg growth transformations; they have a place dont get me wrong.

So this is my question. Does a transformation need a metaphysical element or are costume changes sufficient to convey the action occurring?

Note: this is just a small insight into my insanity caused in part by isolating.  Stay inside and stay safe everyone

Thanks Woody. The best has to be Lynda Carter's Diana Prince transformation into Wonder Woman. All other transformations pale into insignificance really, and she keeps her wonderful slim figure

E.T.A I'm guessing Diana's transformation is metaphysical, either way, she is a goddess when she does her spin!.
Last edit: 07 Apr 2020 08:54 by Monty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
07 Apr 2020 10:47 #67437 by Zenta
If changing your outfit to signify getting super powers doesn't count as transformation, then somebody needs to tell Japan the bad news about their transforming heroes.

Which is to say, I don't think you need a metaphysical transformation.

More
07 Apr 2020 11:18 #67439 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic At what stage do you call it a transformation?

Woody wrote: I've been pondering this lately mainly due to Woodclaw and how he tags my stories. Firstly; happy with the tags Woodclaw dont change them

In general, the transformation tag requires one of the following conditions:
  • The change being a major plot point and not just a device to get in or out of costume
  • Some major physical modification
  • The main character having a power and an unpowered state

(formerly Anon, still Librarian)

"What is the point of having free will if one cannot occasionally spit in the eye of destiny?" ("Gentleman" John Marcone)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Woody

More
07 Apr 2020 12:01 - 07 Apr 2020 12:45 #67440 by Monty
Here is a good transformation by David C. Matthews on DCM of his character, Dyna. Hope he doesn't mind me posting!

E.T.A. I thought I better add a link to some of his great work.

www.deviantart.com/davidcmatthews

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 07 Apr 2020 12:45 by Monty.

More
07 Apr 2020 13:45 #67441 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic At what stage do you call it a transformation?
Taking a more in-depth look at our current tag list there are 4 transformation-related tags:
  • Transformation
  • Costume Change
  • Muscle Growth
  • Breast Expansion
Plus the Shapeshifting tag from the powers section.

(formerly Anon, still Librarian)

"What is the point of having free will if one cannot occasionally spit in the eye of destiny?" ("Gentleman" John Marcone)

More
09 Apr 2020 21:11 - 09 Apr 2020 21:57 #67530 by MisterK
So, my own superhero, Bonnie Boring/Ms. Infinity, is a shapeshifter, and she transforms herself from a slim not-quite-5" tall Bonnie into a tall, model-pretty Ms.. Infinity. However, I've talked this over with her. (What? You don't have conversations with your characters?) Anyway, she's adamant that it does NOT have to be a change of body to be a "transformation." She's a huge Wonder Woman fan, and yes. That spin is a transformation. So is the lasso change. So is the costume under the clothes trick. Even Batgirl putting on her costume is a transformation, and she has no powers. 

So that's the official Ms. Infinity stance on it.
Last edit: 09 Apr 2020 21:57 by MisterK. Reason: Fixed a typo.

More
09 Apr 2020 22:51 #67536 by shadar

MisterK wrote: So, my own superhero, Bonnie Boring/Ms. Infinity, is a shapeshifter, and she transforms herself from a slim not-quite-5" tall Bonnie into a tall, model-pretty Ms.. Infinity. However, I've talked this over with her. (What? You don't have conversations with your characters?) Anyway, she's adamant that it does NOT have to be a change of body to be a "transformation." She's a huge Wonder Woman fan, and yes. That spin is a transformation. So is the lasso change. So is the costume under the clothes trick. Even Batgirl putting on her costume is a transformation, and she has no powers. 

In other words, if your characters aren't convincingly real to you, with a personality and point of view that makes them interesting to have in-depth but imaginary conversations with, then they aren't ready to be in a story. 

In the best stories, your characters tell you what to write. 

Shadar

More
09 Apr 2020 23:00 #67540 by MisterK

shadar wrote:

MisterK wrote: So, my own superhero, Bonnie Boring/Ms. Infinity, is a shapeshifter, and she transforms herself from a slim not-quite-5" tall Bonnie into a tall, model-pretty Ms.. Infinity. However, I've talked this over with her. (What? You don't have conversations with your characters?) Anyway, she's adamant that it does NOT have to be a change of body to be a "transformation." She's a huge Wonder Woman fan, and yes. That spin is a transformation. So is the lasso change. So is the costume under the clothes trick. Even Batgirl putting on her costume is a transformation, and she has no powers. 

In other words, if your characters aren't convincingly real to you, with a personality and point of view that makes them interesting to have in-depth but imaginary conversations with, then they aren't ready to be in a story. 

Shadar

Well, let's be fair. Everyone writes differently. I'm sure there are many fine writers who DON'T do this..

But yes. Not only do I talk to Ms. Infinity, but she really gives it to me. She has no patience for my dad jokes.

More
10 Apr 2020 00:25 #67547 by Idylls

shadar wrote:

Shadar

I know the feeling. I "talk" to my characters to internalize how I'll play them. And sometimes their personalities rub on to me. I even learn from them. 

And sometimes they scare me too. Especially the depraved ones. I don't always play good guys. To think they're part of me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar, MisterK

More
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds