Amount
× Polite reminder: some great stuff being posted here; use the THANK YOU button to reward others for their efforts, and encourage further contributions. It's free, but worth a lot..!

Protecting the models/photographers/creators

22 Jun 2010 00:54 #19479 by five_red
I feel a bit cheeky posting this up, since I'm fairly new around here, but I've been posting a few images of models in superheroine costumes on a few threads over the last couple of days and people have (naturally) started to ask where some of them come from. Now I'm happy people are enjoying the pics, but I'm afraid I'm not going to reveal their origin (except to promise they are not stolen from inside any pay site), and I'd like to strongly urge others in the know to bite their lip also.

Here's why...

Let me start by pointing out there are two types of women photographed in these shoots: (a) those who are into the whole superheroine thing, read the comics, watch the movies, and love acting out the fantasy; and (b) those who are just trying to earn a buck, they put on the costume, act out the role, then at the end of the day they take the costume off and go home.

Let me also suggest there are two types of superheroine fan: (a) the majority, who are generally sensitive to the views of those involved in producing heroine photo shoots and videos; and (b) a minority, who feel the need to contact the creators to express their desire (often in quite blunt language) to see their own particular sexual deviation catered for in upcoming work.

A few days ago one noteworthy member of this forum pondered out loud to me in a private conversation whether comments from the latter type discouraged models from returning to do subsequent photo shoots. It got me thinking that perhaps forums like this should start to be a bit more careful over the types of links they allow.

The problem with the photos I posted was they came from a certain social networking site. If I give the link out, not only can everyone download the latest pics (a good thing!) but they can also email the creators and models directly (a bad thing!) Members of the site not only include the models in the photos I posted, but a few familiar faces who've appeared on the Steele's sites etc -- I'm sure they would not welcome an influx of mail from fat balding single males, asking about peril, bondage, burnt matches between toes, and the like.

A few days ago I posted the URL of the profile of one model who had done a Supergirl photo shoot -- with hindsight I think this was a bad idea. Hopefully she won't be getting any unwelcome attention as a result of my actions. In future, here's what I plan to do:

If I post material whose creators (photographers, models, etc) are clearly not *into* the whole comicbook/superheroine 'thang' in the same way people here are, then I will do so in a way that prevents (as reasonably as I can) their contact details from being discovered. In short: if I'm fairly certain the people behind the material don't want to be emailed with all manner of pseudo-erotic heroine fantasies, then I'm not going to reveal where I got the stuff from (unless said site doesn't have any means of tracing their contact details).

Can I end by inviting discussion (and I do realise this is a bit cheeky, given I've only been here 5 mins) that we make it a general rule not to post links which might allow artists/photographers/models/whoever to be contacted, unless we know said person is also a fan of the whole superheroine fantasy genre? This means if a given model has some Supergirl pics on her MySpace page, you link to copies of the images, not directly to the page itself. (Not making it quite so easy for the worst fanboy element, lowers the risk of scaring away artists/photographers/models/etc.)

Just my 2c. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• five_red
  • five_red's Avatar Topic Author
More
22 Jun 2010 05:02 #19482 by Alexxx
I agree with most of that. Obviously if its a fan / genre producer then one should mention where the pic is from for credits sake. These people should get feedback to improve for their "target market."

As far as model contacting, well I don't see the point unless they say they are open to it. I think I can guess the site you are referring to and I know that site is important to the models.

However where i differ in opinion is not mentioning the photographers of the pics. Speaking as a photographer (not as a job) yet not a live model one as my spouse would not approve, but i know a few who are. Some of them do want to make money on what they produce and if they get a lot of feedback from genre fans then they might produce more for us, they win and the fans win.

All photographers want and enjoy feedback and I think most as adults can hit the spam / block button when they see morons who obviously can't tell they don't do smut.

So IMO I would say one should post the photographers name at least and link, if only to a site that will not lead one to the model's contact info.

More
22 Jun 2010 05:06 #19483 by Alexxx

I agree with most of that. Obviously if its a fan / genre producer then one should mention where the pic is from for credits sake. These people should get feedback to improve for their "target market."

As far as model contacting, well I don't see the point unless they say they are open to it. I know a couple of the Steele models are on Myspace and don't hide that. They can choose who to add or not to. when they connect right to the Steele Myspace page they have to expect fans will find them. I think I can guess the site you are referring to and I know that site is important to the models.

However where i differ in opinion is not mentioning the photographers of the pics. Speaking as a photographer (not as a job) yet not a live model one as my spouse would not approve, but i know a few who are. Some of them do want to make money on what they produce and if they get a lot of feedback from genre fans then they might produce more for us, they win and the fans win.

All photographers want and enjoy feedback and I think most as adults can hit the spam / block button when they see morons who obviously can't tell they don't do smut.

So IMO I would say one should post the photographers name at least and link, if only to a site that will not lead one to the model's contact info.

More
22 Jun 2010 18:51 #19494 by jdrock24
I've never been a model or a photographer so I be a bit misguided in saying this:

But once you make the decision to become a professional model and post your profile on the internet via some modeling website, don't you expect to get some creeps (of any stripe) contacting you to do foul/stupid stuff? I know, the hope is for that big, professional agency to view your profile and contact you with a multi-million dollar offer. However, you have to expect for idiots to use your contact information too, don't you? I think this is why models rarely use their real names.

I guess my point is that I don't really know how much "protecting of the models" you are doing by not telling us the site name. They are probably still getting morons contacting them to do this or that.

More
22 Jun 2010 21:43 #19495 by Alexxx
I see someone posted the MM link in the other forum anyhow lol.

But like jdrock24 said, I doubt her name is really "Jax-T"

More
23 Jun 2010 00:26 #19497 by five_red

I've never been a model or a photographer so I be a bit misguided in saying this:

But once you make the decision to become a professional model and post your profile on the internet via some modeling website, don't you expect to get some creeps (of any stripe) contacting you to do foul/stupid stuff? I know, the hope is for that big, professional agency to view your profile and contact you with a multi-million dollar offer. However, you have to expect for idiots to use your contact information too, don't you? I think this is why models rarely use their real names.

I guess my point is that I don't really know how much "protecting of the models" you are doing by not telling us the site name. They are probably still getting morons contacting them to do this or that.

By that token wouldn't every woman who ever posted her photo on the internet be getting adult messages?

Let's be honest, there is a side to superheroine fantasy fandom (and a rather popular one, given the extraordinary number of DVDs produced on the topic by a certain two companies) that goes well beyond just drooling over girls in spandex, and into stuff involved some pretty dark humiliation and denigration. There are guys who are never happy unless the heroine loses, and loses badly. I think a woman posting up pictures of herself in nothing but a pair of stockings and a basque might reasonably expect to get a certain amount of 'adult' attention, but are the models who pose as Superwoman really prepared for the possibility they might receive emails about tentacle rape, and the like? Some of them may never have read a superhero comicbook in their life before they get asked to pose in costume by a photographer -- do they really understand the myriad of fantasies associated with heroines?

Ultimately anyone who puts enough effort into Google will be able to track a model's contact details down -- I'd just don't think it's helping the superheroine fantasy genre as a whole if we make it easy for them :)

• five_red
More
23 Jun 2010 00:31 #19498 by five_red

I see someone posted the MM link in the other forum anyhow lol.

But like jdrock24 said, I doubt her name is really "Jax-T"

That was one of the sites, yes. There's a group of us who've been collecting and sharing stuff in private from various similar places for a while now. I think I'll hang back posting any more images (certainly none from any of the other sites) for the time being, to see what happens.

• five_red
More
23 Jun 2010 06:53 #19501 by Spulo

There's a group of us who've been collecting and sharing stuff in private from various similar places for a while now.

Members of this forum, you mean? So...doesn't that make this place kinda redundant? I thought the whole point of it was to share stuff like that...

More
23 Jun 2010 07:57 #19502 by cranky
This is just silly. What the hell is the photographer doing if he/she is not warning about all the peril stuff?

This is just trolling. You tease with pics and then you say "lol you cant get any, model privacy".

Models should know what they are getting into in the first place.

More
23 Jun 2010 13:49 #19504 by jdrock24

By that token wouldn't every woman who ever posted her photo on the internet be getting adult messages?

Let's be honest, there is a side to superheroine fantasy fandom (and a rather popular one, given the extraordinary number of DVDs produced on the topic by a certain two companies) that goes well beyond just drooling over girls in spandex, and into stuff involved some pretty dark humiliation and denigration. There are guys who are never happy unless the heroine loses, and loses badly. I think a woman posting up pictures of herself in nothing but a pair of stockings and a basque might reasonably expect to get a certain amount of 'adult' attention, but are the models who pose as Superwoman really prepared for the possibility they might receive emails about tentacle rape, and the like? Some of them may never have read a superhero comicbook in their life before they get asked to pose in costume by a photographer -- do they really understand the myriad of fantasies associated with heroines?

Ultimately anyone who puts enough effort into Google will be able to track a model's contact details down -- I'd just don't think it's helping the superheroine fantasy genre as a whole if we make it easy for them :)

That's a good point about the whole superheroine "bondage" genre. I find that whole thing a bit disturbing (As, I assume, most of the members here).

To answer your question. I have no idea if "every woman who ever posts a picture on the internet" gets adult messages. Not being a woman, I can't speak from their perspective. However, I would think that most models who put themselves "out there" do.

I don't know. I think your coming from the right place with your stance. However, I think it might be a little misguided.

More
23 Jun 2010 23:03 #19507 by five_red

Members of this forum, you mean? So...doesn't that make this place kinda redundant? I thought the whole point of it was to share stuff like that...

Honestly, I don't consider there are many people naive enough to think that, for any given online community, there isn't more stuff being passed around between its most active members than is shared publicly. I think that's just a fact of internet life, and its as true for superheroines as it is for any other online community.

Some content producers just don't want all their stuff to be broadcast right across the internet, while others just get sick of giving and receiving little or nothing in return. The latter group seem to make up a large contingent, people who used to post publicly but just gave up. Either way, it seems to be just the natural scheme of things. I'm really shocked that people perhaps thought otherwise. Speaking personally, it's not like I ever kept it a secret that the old AE site mutated into a private forum (although, admittedly, I neglected to take out any double page spreads in national newspapers). :) I do still post the odd pic publicly sometimes, but it's long since stopped being a priority.

When I see a message from a prominent content produce on a forum or web site saying they will no longer be posting further material (coincidentally I saw just such a message only a few days ago), or they mysteriously just vanish, I know they haven't ceased creating work -- they've just moved to a less public venue. Tis the way the world works, unfortunately... Their enthusiasm just gets worn down.

• five_red
More
23 Jun 2010 23:38 #19508 by five_red

I don't know. I think your coming from the right place with your stance. However, I think it might be a little misguided.

It is possible I'm a bit hypersensitive to this stuff. I remember way back in the day, talking to Flagstar (remember her?) and she'd tell me about some of the cr*p she put up with from fans -- some of which turned the obsessive dial up to 11. I also remember chatting to Becca (aka Superbecca) when she'd just started posting pics, and her asked me about all the strange requests she was receiving (this was before she started doing erotic photos).

One episode in particular has always stuck in my mind -- when I ran the AE site I used to post links to photos on other sites with heroines in them, and someone sent me a link to a very pretty woman dressed as Catwoman (IIRC). This wasn't an adult picture, just a photo from a fancy dress party on a family web site. Anyway, said Catwoman's brother emailed me (a very polite email, given the circumstances). Seemed someone had emailed her with his fantasies about Batman/Catwoman sex -- she was pretty freaked out by it, and I can't blame her. (The brother checked the logs, and spotted an influx of traffic from my site.) This wasn't an adult picture, and neither her page nor mine were adult sites -- yet the idiot in question thought that, because she had dressed as Catwoman for a party, she must be into superhero bondage! (Seems logical, right?)

Anyway, I sent my apologies and removed the link immediately. I noticed she also removed the fancy dress pictures from the family site. It left me with a lasting impression of the power just one idiot can do when they deal with someone outside of the heroine fan community.

• five_red
More
24 Jun 2010 02:48 #19511 by d_k_c
This threads gotta go…What I think you’ve successfully done. Is taken the very small minority, and generalized every single member here into that grouping. And I genuinely don’t think its that bad. A girl who simply shows her chest on the internet is going to get thousands of “Different” messages. So if this site was called TopllessMania.com And I posted some pictures of some topless girls, but kept the link secret…Saying to everyone, I’m keeping the link a secret because I’m afraid of what a small majority of you might suggest to these innocent topless girls. I would hope someone would remind me that…Perhaps…I was being ridiculous.

More
24 Jun 2010 04:08 #19512 by five_red

Saying to everyone, I’m keeping the link a secret because I’m afraid of what a small majority of you might suggest to these innocent topless girls. I would hope someone would remind me that…Perhaps…I was being ridiculous.

Yes, you would being ridiculous. But given we're not talking about adult material here, its rather an apples and oranges comparison, isn't it? ;)

Y'see the long and short of it is this: "if she didn't want me to email her with details of my bondage fetish, then she shouldn't have posted pictures of herself dressed as Wonder Woman" doesn't really cut it with me as an excuse for material that clearly originates from outside the heroine fantasy community.

Now, I assume that Mandi Steele knew what she was getting into when she started, so fair play to those few who emailed her their sordid little fantasies (and the many whose fantasies were far from sordid) -- but if you start posting pictures of women who just dressed up as Batgirl for Halloween, or were merely paid cash by a photographer to pose as Spider-girl for the day, it's just polite and courteous (there's two words you don't hear very often these days) to at least attempt to obfuscate their contact details for the benefit of that tiny minority of fans who can give the rest of us a very bad reputation.

The idea that any woman, merely by putting on a costume, opens herself up to comment from every heroine fan and all their fantasies (much of which is tame, but a minority of which is far from tame) is one I disagree with. Clearly I'm in a minority here. :(

• five_red
More
24 Jun 2010 16:47 #19519 by MisterK
Actually, as a man with a daughter, I'm with Five-Red all the way.

More
24 Jun 2010 20:51 #19520 by Woodclaw

The idea that any woman, merely by putting on a costume, opens herself up to comment from every heroine fan and all their fantasies (much of which is tame, but a minority of which is far from tame) is one I disagree with. Clearly I'm in a minority here. :(

Actually I agree 100%, friends of mine who are into Cos-Play usually reports similar problems (one had to fend off a Facebook stalker after she uploaded some photo of hers in a Rogue costume).

More
24 Jun 2010 23:32 #19521 by dave147
hi five-red and everybody,

i agree with what u say i know girl who played mandi is ok but unforunely 4 us superheroine fans that is in her past i wasnt going 2 mention about her here and i still dont her reason why she stoped play our fav superhero but totally repsect her and family privacy along with all other models, photographers wives girlfriends of us fans 2 who shows photos/clips here

my two thoughts and i hope have affend anyone by sayong this

dave

More
24 Jun 2010 23:48 #19522 by Random321
Replied by Random321 on topic Re: Protecting the models/photographers/creators
It can be an issue. It has been an issue for me. It’s a very small minority of fans that are the problem.

Some models raise their rates one you/me.
Others get weirder out and decide not to do anymore.
Some do their best to ignore it.

No matter what I don't enjoy the conversation. Send your requests to me. I'm the one who make the decisions anyway.

This very thing might be why Aubrie suddenly raised her rates on me so much that I can’t afford her anymore – so it does have a negative impact on all of us.

More
25 Jun 2010 02:27 #19524 by Sarge395
Random,

Was Aubrie's email made available? How did people start contacting her? Did you ask her if any weird requests were getting to her? I'm curious.

• Sarge395
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
25 Jun 2010 04:52 #19526 by Alexxx

hi five-red and everybody,

i agree with what u say i know girl who played mandi is ok but unforunely 4 us superheroine fans that is in her past i wasnt going 2 mention about her here and i still dont her reason why she stoped play our fav superhero but totally repsect her and family privacy along with all other models, photographers wives girlfriends of us fans 2 who shows photos/clips here

my two thoughts and i hope have affend anyone by sayong this

dave

I'll let Kelly give the details about why Mandi stopped if he cares to. But he told me without a lot of details and as far I know know it had nothing to do with creeps emailing. News flash, when you email Mandisteele.com or Adarasteele.com you don't get Mandi or Adara :p

First off I don't see this as the type of forum with a lot of those heroine rape guys on it. It attracts guys who like powerful women coming out on top and there is no XXX content.

Secondly, What I really see this thread turning into is a bunch of guys trying to play protector of "poor helpless women." These are big girls people, adults (I hope) and as adults should know what they are getting into and how to evaluate how to be careful and what their limits in revealing personal info are. I'm sure some are nieve but they get a few creep emails and live and learn from it.

Its hard to come by an adult these days that does not understand that by putting their pictures or likeness or whatever out there on the net that they are not taking a risk. Whether it be the company you apply for seeing some drunk low IQ co-ed doing body shots off you or attracting a loser who sees you fully clothed in a Wonder Woman outfit and decides you like BDSM and emails you.

I'm not condoning these guys who are out of line but at the same time someone would have to be pretty dense to toss their likeness out there for public consumption and be shocked to get a few creep emails, regardless of whether they give out their email or not. The halloween and comic con types get a bit of leeway here as they don't seek the exposure, yet when you pose of some stranger these days you just have to assume it could pop up somewhere in cyber land. Welcome to the 21st century.

And producers, if you don't like your models asking for more money to deal with the creeps then don't use their names on your sites. If they insist they want their names used as part of the deal then they should know the risks.

More
25 Jun 2010 13:45 #19527 by jdrock24
I can see both sides of the issue.

I definitely agree that a woman who decides to dress up as Supergirl for Halloween should not be subjected to creepy e-mails from some spineless jerk on the internet too afraid to even give his name.

However, this being the internet, and the anonimity it offers these creeps, a model, who gives out her contact information, has got to expect some creepy e-mails, doesn't she?

I have a four year old daughter and my wife and I already decided that she is not going to "get online" until she is mature enough to understand it and that she knows the proper safety precautions to take to maintain her protection from the creepy guys out there.

I don't know. It's a very tough issue and I'm sad that Aubrie seems to be driven out of the business because of the bondage jerks. I just don't know what we can do about it.

More
25 Jun 2010 16:15 #19529 by five_red

However, this being the internet, and the anonimity it offers these creeps, a model, who gives out her contact information, has got to expect some creepy e-mails, doesn't she?

I think everyone acknowledges you can't stop creeps from emailing women entirely. The issue is more: do we, as a community, aid and abet that? (A friend, with an almost supernatural ability to find heroine links, pointed out to me the details posted recently in ImageBank were reposted within 24 hours on a forum dealing with heroine defeat/humiliation.)

For me it's a matter of responsibility, and trust. It is perfectly possible to take material and re-host it to make the source fairly anonymous. 99% of web users are lazy -- they don't act on something unless you shove it directly under their nose. We get our cool pics, and the women have a greatly reduced chance of getting pestered by the wrong type of fan (or even knowing heroine fan sites exist at all). But for some people this clearly isn't enough, begging the question: why is it so absolutely vitally important that everyone know the true origin of the material?

Some women dress up as Supergirl because they wish to specifically produce work targeted at this community. Some women dress up as Supergirl for a giggle, and because it was the last party costume in the shop that fitted. As a community, I personally think it would be nice if we demonstrated we make a distinction between the two. Of course, any such distinction would need to be largely self policing, and the only way to do that is to air opinions in public and see where everyone stands...

Anyway, apologies to the mods if I've caused a fuss -- I honestly didn't know this was such a contentious issue. I have to say I've learned quite a lot from some of the responses here. So, unless someone asks me a direct question, I'm going to shut up now :)

• five_red
More
25 Jun 2010 18:04 #19530 by jdrock24

The issue is more: do we, as a community, aid and abet that?

You know five_red, when I first read your original post in this thread, my first thought was "Well, he just wants to hog all the pictures for himself and not share the free pictures he found. What a jerk!"

But after reading your thoughtful and well-reasoned responses, I think I'm prepared to say that you've convinced me to change my mind.

The real issue, I see now, is your question above and my answer would be no, we shouldn't aid and abet the bondage creeps.

Besides, it doesn't seem that hard to download the picture to your hard drive, repost it somewhere else (i.e. imagevenue, etc...) and then put that link here. It seems sensible.

More
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds