Amount

Wonder Woman series

25 Jan 2011 02:26 #21339 by shadar
Wonder Woman series was created by shadar
Based on recent discussions of the proposed WW TV series, I decided to try and write some scenes that I think should be part of the Pilot, and to define my idea of WW and Diana Prince.

The first couple of chapters are up, and I'm looking for feedback to decide if this sounds like an interesting start or if you see it all done differently.

Most importantly, I'm open to ideas on how this should proceed.

We may or may not like the TV series when we (hopefully) see it next Fall, but in the meantime, its fun to capture how we'd do it if we were creating the show.

velorian.net/WW/scenes_ww_pilot.pdf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• shadar
  • shadar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
25 Jan 2011 18:33 #21347 by dauntingmold
Replied by dauntingmold on topic Re: Wonder Woman series
I like what I've read so far. You couldn't get a job as a scriptwriter for NBC could you? It would be nice to think the programme (if it ever gets to that stage) would show Wonder Woman with that level of strength, and have flight in it's first scene. Ahh but we can dream :) I hope you continue the story, it would be interesting to find out if Diana is the only super powered being, and her mission?

More
25 Jan 2011 19:20 #21348 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Re: Wonder Woman series
You flatter me... I'm just another fan with a keyboard and an overactive imagination.

So did you like the idea of making Diana Prince an MI5 agent on loan to the FBI, her assignment being to determine who the mysterious superwoman is? That will also let her suppress some key information when needed.

Addison is going to assign Steven to work with Diana.

Diana and Steven working together will lead to some interesting moments, especially as they grow close without Steven realizing who Diana really is.

Of course, Steven will become more suspicious of Diana as time goes on, which lets me try my hand at the classic theme of someone trying to penetrate a superhero's secret identity. Shades of Lois Lane and Clark Kent and many issues of the older Supergirl comics, not to mention older WW comics.

While WW can change her features significantly when she transforms from WW to Diana Prince, her eyes are the weakness. They don't change, and they are remarkable.

Shadar

I like what I've read so far. You couldn't get a job as a scriptwriter for NBC could you? It would be nice to think the programme (if it ever gets to that stage) would show Wonder Woman with that level of strength, and have flight in it's first scene. Ahh but we can dream :) I hope you continue the story, it would be interesting to find out if Diana is the only super powered being, and her mission?

• shadar
More
25 Jan 2011 19:48 #21349 by shadar

I like what I've read so far. You couldn't get a job as a scriptwriter for NBC could you?
I hope you continue the story, it would be interesting to find out if Diana is the only super powered being, and her mission?

On those last couple of points, do you have any heroes or villains that you'd like to see in the story? I need someone or something for her to be fighting that is worthy of her powers. Could be a supervillain or some kind of overwhelming threat like terrorists with nukes or even aliens.

And as far as her mission goes, its tied into the above, but I haven't thought beyond those first couple of scenes. But clearly Queen Hippolyta in Themoscyna has decided that saving mankind is worth putting her immortal daughter at extreme risk to save us.

Is she on her own, or does she have help? Other than Steven, of course.

Shadar

• shadar
More
25 Jan 2011 20:48 #21350 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Re: Wonder Woman series
Everyone says WW is inferior to SM and BM because she doesn't have a Rogue's Gallery. Frankly, it's not as star-studded as the other two but WW's villains include (who should be in the series):

Silver Swan
Chettah
Doctor Psycho
Giganta

Personally, I think Dr P is best adapted and most likely to appear as a TV villain if they try to stay somewhat true to the comic's roots.

ElF

I like what I've read so far. You couldn't get a job as a scriptwriter for NBC could you?
I hope you continue the story, it would be interesting to find out if Diana is the only super powered being, and her mission?

On those last couple of points, do you have any heroes or villains that you'd like to see in the story? I need someone or something for her to be fighting that is worthy of her powers. Could be a supervillain or some kind of overwhelming threat like terrorists with nukes or even aliens.

And as far as her mission goes, its tied into the above, but I haven't thought beyond those first couple of scenes. But clearly Queen Hippolyta in Themoscyna has decided that saving mankind is worth putting her immortal daughter at extreme risk to save us.

Is she on her own, or does she have help? Other than Steven, of course.

Shadar

More
25 Jan 2011 21:24 #21351 by shadar
Dr. Psycho is also good for the TV series given his thing is mind control. That's a cheap special effect with endless opportunities.

The key is whether he can compel a person to do something that is outside the moral code of a character, or just confuse and frighten them.

What about Martian Manhunter as well? He's not a villain, but perhaps after Dr. Psycho is done with him, he is convinced WW is a danger to Earth and feels he has to stop her. Being he's a shapechanger and can copy anyone's powers, up to Kryptonian level, that opens lots of doors. His pyrophobia (fear of fire) is his Kryptonite.

Shadar

• shadar
More
26 Jan 2011 09:15 #21353 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Re: Wonder Woman series

Everyone says WW is inferior to SM and BM because she doesn't have a Rogue's Gallery. Frankly, it's not as star-studded as the other two but WW's villains include (who should be in the series):

Silver Swan
Chettah
Doctor Psycho
Giganta

Personally, I think Dr P is best adapted and most likely to appear as a TV villain if they try to stay somewhat true to the comic's roots.

ElF

Well, I said something like that, but my point was that WW lacks an iconic rogue gallery. If you ask a non-comic book fan to name you some character from Superman and/or Batman rogue gallery a couple of names will immediatly ccome to mind (usually Luthor and the Joker). But if you ask the same person to name Wonder Woman villain he will have e lot of problem to do so.
I'm not syaing that WW is a worse character for this, but I think it can be a serious handicap.

More
26 Jan 2011 14:08 #21354 by lfan
Agree that hers is not as iconic as the boys' galleries. My point was merely -- in the DC Universe -- you'd be hard pressed to find ANY other character (besides Supes and Bats) with more recognizable villains than WW (possible exception being Shazam with Sivana and Black Adam).

To the non-comic fan, yes, most likely no one has heard of them, but with DK3 coming out, I'll bet $100 that 80% of the mainstream fans have never heard of Bane either (or Ra Al Ghul or Scarecrow for that matter).

ElF

Silver Swan
Chettah
Doctor Psycho
Giganta

ElF

Well, I said something like that, but my point was that WW lacks an iconic rogue gallery. If you ask a non-comic book fan to name you some character from Superman and/or Batman rogue gallery a couple of names will immediatly ccome to mind (usually Luthor and the Joker). But if you ask the same person to name Wonder Woman villain he will have e lot of problem to do so.
I'm not syaing that WW is a worse character for this, but I think it can be a serious handicap.

More
26 Jan 2011 14:36 #21355 by shadar
I'd always thought of Circe as the ultimate villain for WW. She's a full-on goddess who can mimic WWs powers and take on any form. Her speciality is turning people into animals, either permanently or temporarily.

That last power wouldn't work for TV for a couple of reasons, one being the special effects, but I enjoy shapechangers in stories, and they are cheap special effects, ala Mystique from X-men, given that morphing software is powerful. Once morphed, another actor simply fills the role temporarily. Simple.

Circe would let me create an arbitrarily powerful opponent who has the arrogance and freedom of action of a goddess. She can also appear as a male or female of any age.

I'm thinking of a plot where Circe is in league with some scientists to unleash some important new technology, but only she knows that it will also destroy the ancient gods. Zeus, Aphrodite and Poseiden are already aging from the first tests of that technology, their immortality fading. WW has come to Earth to save the gods by stopping Circe and this technology (which presumably is a very important one to us humans -- maybe fusion power or something like that) and in the end, she risks or loses her own immortality to save the gods.

Like the movie Percy Jackson, Lightning Thief, I think TV viewers could handle a full-on polytheistic fantasy involving the Greek gods. Its at least meaty enough of a threat to justify WW coming to Earth.

As far as other superhumans, I think WW/Diana Prince and Circe are enough for the early episodes, especially given there will be several versions of Circe. I want WW to be the first superhuman ever seen by modern men, and be able to exploit the Wonder of that.

Shadar

• shadar
More
26 Jan 2011 15:33 #21356 by lfan
Circe! Good call as I forgot about her....

Personally, I hope they shy away from the god/goddess slant and not turn it into a fantasy piece. I know its part of her mythos, but I'd prefer they focus on her in a 'man's world' with 'man's world adversaries'.

One good/bad rumor is that McG (Charlie's Angels director) is being supposedly sought for the pilot. It is good in the sense (IMO) that McG is familiar with the 'girl power' theme from the two Charlie's Angels movies and that he is somewhat known for action-type flicks. The possible bad side is with his familiarity with Charlie's Angel's he turns WW from a superheroine into some 'wire-fu chick'. Time will tell whether he even does it or not.

Credit where credit is due, TVLine first broke this (as far as I know): www.tvline.com/2011/01/exclusive-will-wonder-woman-lasso-mcg/

ElF

I'd always thought of Circe as the ultimate villain for WW. She's a full-on goddess who can mimic WWs powers and take on any form. Her speciality is turning people into animals, either permanently or temporarily.

That last power wouldn't work for TV for a couple of reasons, one being the special effects, but I enjoy shapechangers in stories, and they are cheap special effects, ala Mystique from X-men, given that morphing software is powerful. Once morphed, another actor simply fills the role temporarily. Simple.

Circe would let me create an arbitrarily powerful opponent who has the arrogance and freedom of action of a goddess. She can also appear as a male or female of any age.

I'm thinking of a plot where Circe is in league with some scientists to unleash some important new technology, but only she knows that it will also destroy the ancient gods. Zeus, Aphrodite and Poseiden are already aging from the first tests of that technology, their immortality fading. WW has come to Earth to save the gods by stopping Circe and this technology (which presumably is a very important one to us humans -- maybe fusion power or something like that) and in the end, she risks or loses her own immortality to save the gods.

Like the movie Percy Jackson, Lightning Thief, I think TV viewers could handle a full-on polytheistic fantasy involving the Greek gods. Its at least meaty enough of a threat to justify WW coming to Earth.

As far as other superhumans, I think WW/Diana Prince and Circe are enough for the early episodes, especially given there will be several versions of Circe. I want WW to be the first superhuman ever seen by modern men, and be able to exploit the Wonder of that.

Shadar

More
26 Jan 2011 16:36 #21359 by dauntingmold
Replied by dauntingmold on topic Re: Wonder Woman series
I've always had a soft spot for The Cheetah, always thought she has been underused. I like the idea of her as an intelligent, respectable woman, who can turn into a lethal animalistic killer. I can also see this working on TV, people are already familiar with the concept, being a variation of the Jekyll and Hyde theme.

More
26 Jan 2011 18:02 #21360 by Woodclaw
I agree that Circe is probably the ultimate nemesis for WW (with the possible exception of Ares), but using in in the plot might prove difficult. Aside from the sheer amount of power (thank you comic-book magic) pushing too much on the divine/fantasy element might alienate a large slice of viewers that will consider the serie just a Xena rip-off. Still, it'a hard to negate that the fantastic element is bound to appear sooner or later or it won't be Wonder Woman any more (by the way I think that George Perez post crisis reboot - which was very fantasy - is still the best period for Diana).

For the name of the direct I think that McG is a very bad choice, first he's basicly a director of videoclips, which means that his still tend to be hyperkinetic and a bit on the slutty side. Both thing that really doesn't work with Wonder Woman.
About his "girl power" experience... I don't know, too often people tend to mistake feminism (which is about the equality of sexes) with gynocentrism and misandry (which are about the superiority of women over men). Many director of contemporary flicks tend to blur the line between the these positions in order to make female characters look cooler.

More
26 Jan 2011 19:30 #21361 by lfan
First of all, I must say I have no fascination with McG, just trying to find a silver-lining in a "David Kelley WW".....

Couple of encouraging bits from McG's resume was that he directed the pilot to Chuck and that turned out pretty good for NBC. Also, he serves as a producer for Human Target, another comic book property.

As for the feminism vs gynocentrism argument, I couldn't follow if you thought McG was one or the other....

ElF

I agree that Circe is probably the ultimate nemesis for WW (with the possible exception of Ares), but using in in the plot might prove difficult. Aside from the sheer amount of power (thank you comic-book magic) pushing too much on the divine/fantasy element might alienate a large slice of viewers that will consider the serie just a Xena rip-off. Still, it'a hard to negate that the fantastic element is bound to appear sooner or later or it won't be Wonder Woman any more (by the way I think that George Perez post crisis reboot - which was very fantasy - is still the best period for Diana).

For the name of the direct I think that McG is a very bad choice, first he's basicly a director of videoclips, which means that his still tend to be hyperkinetic and a bit on the slutty side. Both thing that really doesn't work with Wonder Woman.
About his "girl power" experience... I don't know, too often people tend to mistake feminism (which is about the equality of sexes) with gynocentrism and misandry (which are about the superiority of women over men). Many director of contemporary flicks tend to blur the line between the these positions in order to make female characters look cooler.

More
26 Jan 2011 20:00 #21362 by Woodclaw

First of all, I must say I have no fascination with McG, just trying to find a silver-lining in a "David Kelley WW".....

Couple of encouraging bits from McG's resume was that he directed the pilot to Chuck and that turned out pretty good for NBC. Also, he serves as a producer for Human Target, another comic book property.

I didn't know, these are actually some better credentials

As for the feminism vs gynocentrism argument, I couldn't follow if you thought McG was one or the other....

My point wasn't about McG in particular, but to the general representation of tough female characters in the media. Especially when superheroines are involved many directors tend to err to the side of excess, because they honestly don't know how to properly represent a strong, independent female character without making her a Vasquez-like character and/or a total bitch. The two "Charlie's Angels' movies are a bit guilty of this.

More
27 Jan 2011 00:45 #21372 by bionicskillz
Replied by bionicskillz on topic Re: Wonder Woman series
Who is playing WW? Did they mention it? Hopefully that Kelly (?) girl.

More
27 Jan 2011 01:21 #21373 by lfan
No casting news that I've heard....AJF or someone did mention it was to be a 2-hr pilot though....

ElF

More
28 Jan 2011 02:47 #21407 by dr lazarus
Replied by dr lazarus on topic Re: Wonder Woman series
I agree with what dauntingmold, it's too bad you're not writing for the show, Shadar. Maybe someone at NBC will come across this story and pass it on to David E. Kelley. ;)

I'd also like Mr. Kelley to see the following scans and link:

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

How Strong is Wonder Woman?

Which Kelly? Joanne or Minka ? Or do you mean Kelly Brook ? I've seen all their names mentioned as possible WW candidates on the web.

Ursa. Her time has come.
www.facebook.com/UrsaFans

More
28 Jan 2011 07:07 #21410 by dr lazarus
Replied by dr lazarus on topic Re: Wonder Woman series

Which Kelly? Joanne or Minka ? Or do you mean Kelly Brook ? I've seen all their names mentioned as possible WW candidates on the web.

or perhaps Kelly Overton , yet another name that's been bandied about. :?

Ursa. Her time has come.
www.facebook.com/UrsaFans

More
28 Jan 2011 11:17 #21415 by lfan

Who is playing WW? Did they mention it? Hopefully
that Kelly (?) girl.

If you mean 'Minka Kelly', looks like a big doubtful (as per my reply to the WW Casting Thread)...she supposedly is getting one of the leads in the new Charlie's Angels series. Ironically, she was supposed to play the part of 'Kelly' but they said they'll prob rename her character cause of her surname. In the meantime, you all can ogle and fantasize what Miss Kelly woulda looked like in the star-spangled outfit :P :

ElF

More
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds