Amount

White Noise

14 Sep 2005 07:53 #2409 by WhitePaw
White Noise was created by WhitePaw
Well, I suppose this is as good a place as any to whisper about things going on in my "back room": groups.yahoo.com/group/vagabondseye/

Just a brief work-around:

There's enough of my newest scribble "Tangerine Dreams" (it's the much-needed prelude to my sneeze 'GO' from last month's contest) together to unveil it.

Normally I'd post the story here in the vault, but ... forgive my urban tendencies: I've once again writen dialoge that flails about across two languages at once. I need italics to shift that gear fast enough to keep up with the flow. About a quarter of the text came out italicized and I thought long and hard about how to pull it out and couldn't think of a way--without crumbling the rythm of the thing. I think if you read it you'll agree. Sorry, but the italics stay.

Problem is '.txt' files don't support italics and the vault takes only straight '.txt'. And at 27 pages (10,000+ words) and two of seven chapters still yet to write, its FAR too wide-screen for the forums. :cry:

Yeah. 10,000+ of MY words. It's a monster.

So here's my solution: I've dropped "Tangerine" as a '.pdf' file (my weapon of choice) in the "files/Now" section of my yahoo group I've listed above. My group is strictly unlisted members only and tagged as 'adult', but I'll let in any interested parties (for free, as always). Just my way of keeping the (dorky) kids out. Tell 'em White Paw sentcha.

And I'll try to keep my stories more .txt friendly in the future, promise.

Try.

I'm not bashing .txt files. Tangerine's .pdf is 160k or so for maybe 12k of .txt. And that's why admin's favoring the .txt files. Fair enough. I'll provide the extra server bloatspace on this one.

Anywho, I hope "Tangerine" is worth all the fuss. Preliminary reviews are coming back...um...for more--but nobody's survived the whole read yet and I'm still very much up to my tail under the hood hammering on it w/ a big wrench.

um...yeah. I'm not very mechanically inclined.

Write on.

Love,
-White Paw.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WhitePaw
  • WhitePaw's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 Sep 2005 11:18 #2415 by conceptfan
Replied by conceptfan on topic Re: White Noise
Hey Whitepaw, what about asking admin if you could use html format. If you trimmed all unneccessary tags, the file size would be only a tiny bit larger than a txt (it'd be just a txt file with a few <I> and </I>s added.) The total probably wouldn't be as big as (picks an example purely at random) say, Randolph and Kim Chs. 1-4 which is in txt format, but has 26,000 words of some jerk's own words...

Just a thought.

More
14 Sep 2005 20:20 #2447 by WhitePaw
Replied by WhitePaw on topic Re: White Noise
Nah. Once you start w/ that....you gotta let all formats in.

Besides, Admin's of the school that sez you should be able to write a good story in plain .txt, and the rest of it is just crutchy fluff. If you've read anything I've written you'd think that I of all people would be championing that. Let's just say I don't fear it, but I'm as particular about the shapes of my whitespace as I am about the words that I choose. My mate's masters degree is in human interface and ergonomics, so quite a bit of the opposing school has rubbed off on me as well.

But 95% of admin's problem is the diminutive server space here. Honestly, what can you demand at these prices? Nothing--and like it.

No complaints. Truth-- honest. Besides, my backwater yahoo group's gotta have SOME original content that you can't get here: my art and 'fluffy/crutchy' stories for starters. Otherwise why do I bother with it?
8)

Love,
-White Paw

• WhitePaw
More
15 Sep 2005 00:48 #2452 by conceptfan
Replied by conceptfan on topic Re: White Noise
Whitepaw, I'm with you on the exclusive content bit. ;) But efficient html is the next best thing to txt and as I'm sure Admin would agree...

More
19 Sep 2005 05:24 #2577 by WhitePaw
Ok, my hard drives are getting to be 'vintage'. So I've gone through my old archives and posted all the .pdf's I could find from my old writings for backup's sake and for your bemusement over on my yahoo group.

There's 60-some-odd new short stories and such from me for you (if we've just met).

Funny. I thought I'd written over a hundred. Oh well. I don't remember writing most of that as it is. Most of it's slop, but there's some gems in that muck.

N-Joy. Just thought you should get'ta know my past lives.

Love,
-White Paw

• WhitePaw
More
19 Sep 2005 05:26 #2578 by WhitePaw
BAM!

:roll:

Love,
-White Paw

• WhitePaw
More
13 Jan 2006 04:26 #4137 by WhitePaw
Alright, so I've cut Tangerine Dreams loose on the .txt format and shipped it to Addy. I've started writing more scenes for Raja as well and cut those loose here too.

Bring a towel.

Wuv,
-White Paw

• WhitePaw
More
10 Feb 2006 04:01 #4449 by WhitePaw
Just a helpful guide to interested readers:
A few entries from the “White Paw” to “conventional English” dictionary:

“Conventional English”: The fifth-grade reading level of Who-What-Where-When-Why-and-How (5W-H) writing that all newspaper writers are paid to stick too. It’s the dry style of writing that makes newspapers so absorbent as litter for birds and other small animals.

“Emotion”: the 90% of human experience that simply can’t be expressed in a 5W-H format.

“Knuckle dragger”: Similar to the rook in chess: a brute lacking all elegance to some, a force to be reckoned with to those who understand.

Don’t judge my phrases by their covers. You’ll be disappointed, frustrated, even insulted. I often leave bear traps and tiger pits like that on purpose on the surfaces of my metaphor against any 5W-H brutes that may be lumbering through--lest they find all the treasures I’ve stashed down the rabbit holes.

For a quick hit or girder crumple: read somebody else-- just about anybody else. But for exotic flavors that will keep your brain chewing and your spine sparking for a month: step down my rabbit hole.

You’re already late.

Oh, and sorry. This is an update thread. I've posted "Galaxy" on my site, and I'm about to post the second installment of it.

N-Joy.

• WhitePaw
More
15 Feb 2006 05:51 #4492 by WhitePaw
My "Galaxy" story arc is now up to 3 episodes: "Galaxy", "Another Morning After", and "Spindown". Sounds pitiful I know. If you hate me this'll surely spell 'migrane' on paper. For the rest (both) of you out there willing to slog through open-minded: I'm n' ya a pan-galactic gargle treat or two, just for your efforts.

Yeah, I axed Supergirl--abruptly.

No, that ain't giving away the ending. Only a beginning. One of many.

Wuv,
-White Paw.

• WhitePaw
More
18 Feb 2006 03:53 #4532 by WhitePaw
Parts 3 and 4 of "Galaxy" are now up at my yahoo group.

N-Joy.

Wuv,
-White Paw.

• WhitePaw
More
18 Feb 2006 18:17 #4535 by Ordo Cabaal Templarus
Replied by Ordo Cabaal Templarus on topic Re: White Noise
As soon as I make progress on either horrifying Revelations or my comedy 'Greater Destinies', you'll be the first to know... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

The Sith Lord
-OCT

• Ordo Cabaal Templarus
More
24 Feb 2006 08:07 #4623 by WhitePaw
Alright, at Oro's request I've written a D&D-themed ubergirls story I call 'Dragon'. Reviews so far are "I like your stuff", "Well THAT's different", and "I DEMAND that you write more...I'm very intriged by this dragon girl...".

Just a teaser so far, really.

Its up on my yahoo group iff'n you're curious. N-Joy.

Wuv,
-White Paw

• WhitePaw
More
18 Aug 2006 04:04 #6552 by WhitePaw

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Been gone to another dimension last buncha months. Some call it "irl". I'm not dead, just enjoying new hobies like retiling the bathroom. Glad to see you're all still among the living.

C ya' laters.

Wuv,
-White Paw

• WhitePaw
More
17 Dec 2006 01:48 #7649 by WhitePaw
I been sick all last week, so I had some time to dink around.

Just doubled my scanned comic book archive size, nearly caught it up with everything I find of interest lately: Supergirl, Powergirl, Ms. Marvel, Wonder Woman. I've twice that on my 'to scan' stack, mostly Rogue'ish X-man stuff, but my scanner's ancient and slow. Takes hours per rag, and Yahoo is awkward at best for the purpose. Anywho, n-joy if you'd like. "Restroom keys" to my archive are available for the asking, free. There's 11 of them now is all. Thats how many yahoo groups it takes to span 220 MB of posted file material.

Also tried to impose some order on my mountain of my cluttered story archives. I failed miserably, and most of it is likely mis-sorted, but it has the apperance of order now. I trumped up a few new sketchy stories off my scratch pile from the last 6 months, but mostly just trying to make things more accessable.

Anywho, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Again.

Wuv,
-Paw

• WhitePaw
More
04 Jun 2007 20:42 #9450 by WhitePaw
Just goofing around between art classes:

vagabondeye.deviantart.com/

www.furaffinity.net/user/whitepawcoh/

Laters.

-Paw.

• WhitePaw
More
05 Jun 2007 13:22 #9454 by brantley
Replied by brantley on topic Re: White Noise
I wonder what WhitePaw does with her tail when she's making love with a guy....

More
09 Jun 2008 06:23 #12542 by WhitePaw

I wonder what WhitePaw does with her tail when she's making love with a guy....

Use my imagination of course. :twisted:

Wait--just one guy? Come awn, Brantley. You know me betta'n that. He best be um... something else.

• WhitePaw
More
09 Jun 2008 10:37 #12544 by brantley
Replied by brantley on topic Re: White Noise
Whatever she's been doing with it. she's been at it for a whole year!

More
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds