Amount

SuperSexyHeroines.com server down

25 Nov 2011 05:04 #25513 by five_red
Replied by five_red on topic Re: SuperSexyHeroines.com server down

Revan wrote: Apart from the fact actual hacking into your server would be unlikely to bring it down completely, why would anyone do so? Any script kiddie worth his salt would realize after 1 look at your site that the odds of finding financial info would be extremely slim to none.
And going through the fuss just to get access to your site's content and save 18 bucks? Again, it seems unlikely to me.

There are a couple of reasons to hack a site. The first is to create a vector for malware -- visitors drop by a familiar site, unaware every page now has an invisible iframe that loads some compromised PDF (or Flash, or whatever) running machine code directly onto your PC. The other is to use the server as the source of a DDOS against someone else. In either case any responsible hosting company will yank the site immediately upon notification.

Having seen JonX's logs I can confirm it was not a malware vector -- so visitors have nothing to fear (and you're all running firewalls/anti-virus anyway, right..?!) Seems Fats beat me to the punch in diagnosing the problem; the fix should involve nothing more than some quick detective work and reviewing the usual startup and passwd files.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Time to create page: 0.039 seconds