Amount

Super Cher Noble could use your opinion

20 Jul 2015 03:00 #43262 by martinblasick
Replied by martinblasick on topic Super Cher Noble could use your opinion
Hi Castor :-)
We were trying to get the street pic to look good. We’d been at the party and were hungry, but took time for some night pics about 1am. I’m glad we did because that’s how I saw how the costume looked when trying to get a good shot. You’re right about the body suit and a cape and how it’s not quiet working in Man Of Steel. It’s a silly combo, suit and cape, but somehow it instantly screams super hero(ine). Natasha and I had a few discussions on the meaning of the traditional combo, and I couldn’t really give an answer why it’s needed other than precedent.

I was really into our color combo, but now I think the white is a mistake. And the seams ended up skewed to the left. I was pretty shocked the basic construction was off.

Regarding what kind of movie SCN is I think of it as a classic hero’s journey. It’s also an origin story. Cher can and will unleash her powers in ways that surprise even herself. She is a person displaced in time and geography (although she learns to get around pretty quickly) and bestowed with powers. A little more Superman than Batman if you will. Not going for overtly quirky or outrageously edgy or dark. There’s a lot at stake because the main villain Dr. Z wants to get her energy secret - killing her in the process - for his own profit. Cher needs to learn to live in today’s world rather than under a totalitarian state in 1986, not under the thumb of a patriarchal society, and to learn how to control and ethically use her awesome powers. Dr. Z creates a series of supervillainesses as a tactic to defeat Cher.

And….it’s all on a micro indie budget. So even more reason for the costume to read decently on camera. We’re hoping to sell enough downloads of each 15 minute episode to carry us through the whole 8 episodes. A micro indie can’t compete with a studio film in the “look” department. But it can absolutely be compelling when the stakes are worthy and the characters are driven to go beyond their ordinary world (even if that world seems extraordinary from the outside) to achieve their next incarnation. A good writer is a bit of a sadist because a hero needs to be tortured by a worthy villain to rise to the challenge.
________
Hi Markiehoe

The shoulder armor was Abby’s thing. I actually liked it. But it didn’t serve a story purpose. The corset is a great idea. Lots of super heroines have fancy corsets. Natasha has a naturally slender waist so it’s freaky seeing her straight as a ruler. That puffy fabric was Abby’s creative addition. I believe in delegation. I know I’m too “I’ll do it myself” by nature. But dang. I want to be surprised with excellence.

The latest sketches Natasha and I came up with have a royal blue asymmetrical cape.
________

Hi Fats,

I would have moved forward with this design if the fit was great and had construction that enhanced waist and bust and was flexible enough to do the stunts in. The material isn’t stretchy 4 ways, only 2. I listened to what I thought was expert advice on fabric. I don’t think a studio setting is going to minimize the skewed, lumpy seams and lack of shaping. Natasha was surprised when Abby told her not to do any punching in it. I made it clear from the outset this is not simply for walking around in at Cons; it needs to be tough and flexible enough for a kick boxing class. And it needs basic female construction.

We’re back to experimenting with ideas. lfan asked if the teal would be a problem with the green screen. I’m not certain but I don’t need extra setbacks. I'll do a test with the current cape. But I’ve been looking at what’s come before, and it’s true that most superheroines utilize prime colors. I don’t want to be a copycat, but I don’t want to be so off the mark that what I’m going isn’t clear. SCN should look “super” whatever that means, in the first glance.
________

Hi bionicskillz,

The boots are staying. Natasha’s feet survived a major expedition in them. The front tips are off center. I saw with my own eyes that Abby centered them from the back seam and cut without hesitation. I’d assumed she’d checked where center was on Natasha having seen her wear them. Measure twice, cut once as the saying goes. But no, she just whacked em off without checking where the point would go. We’ll have to cut them a hair shorter so the points are centered. But man, we shopped all over creation for those boots. Like 2 days of work just to find them. They might get repainted depending on the color scheme.
________

Hi Brad2

The cape is teal. That’s most likely going to change. We’re playing with blue currently.
________

Hi erikphandel,

Thank you for your nice words about Natasha. She and I both are quite touched at how nice and supportive you and others are here on SWM. We’d hoped to be into shooting already. But we’ll get there.
________

Hi Sarge395
We’re going to cover up both legs, I think. We have a dream that cosplayers would want to make this costume someday. I want it to be something someone could make a facsimile of and that is flattering for a variety of body types. Plus now that I see the leg it seems to cheapen the look. I feel the same way when I look at bare midriff costumes. We just went through a huge gallery of over 500 cosplay pics from comic con. It was good for ideas.
________

Hi ace191
We have some pics like that. Natasha didn’t love them because the costume gets boxy. The sides stretched to just a straight line. We’re for sure going to get something tighter. A corset is likely. I’ve looked at so many super heroines lately. Some of the costumes have too many details for what our character needs. She’s got invulnerability so she doesn’t need shielding items for her safety. I had no idea it would be such a brain teaser. I do like the asymmetrical cape a lot. I like it in the neckline too as long as the cut accentuates waist and bust appropriately.

Thank you all for comments. It really helps specifically and as inspiration to keep going :-) Here’s my latest take on the chest logo. Reactions?

Attachment Screen Shot 2015-07-19 at 6.51.43 PM.png not found

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• martinblasick
  • martinblasick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Content Creator
  • Content Creator
More
21 Jul 2015 04:01 - 21 Jul 2015 04:03 #43269 by erikphandel
Replied by erikphandel on topic Super Cher Noble could use your opinion
So here I am late at night tinkering with Super Cher Noble's costume problem. I think the main problem once the costume came to life is the fabric that was used to built it: the armlets do not go well with the rest of the costume, invoking a feeling of bulkiness that isn't what you guys were aiming for. The suit fabric seems to be a little bit to thick and not that stretchy (from the photos at least). For me the ideal superhero costume fabric is the ones that JonX uses in his costumes (if you're not aiming for a realistic approach like mainstream superhero movies and series, that is). And the fabric of the cape is also too thick, it doesn't flow. The cape flowing with the wind is very important to create an ilusion of "divinity" or "angelic", making the person wearing it look like she is not from this plane of existance.

The colors also doesn't help, but I think that it's not the main problem. You said you were tinkering with purple for the cape, but then depending on the shade you choose you'd have to lighten the shade of the red parts of the costume, and then it would take away the "uniqueness" factor of the costume (because every superhero costume is blue, white and red). So I'd personally advise agains't using certain shades of blue, or else you'll end up with an American patriot hero.

At the moment I'm a bit sleep but I've managed to create this image. It's very rough, so if you like it maybe I could work on it properly. And maybe produce something else along those lines, or completely different. Anyways, I'd like to help you guys.

I really wanna see Natasha throwing cars around and whatnot soon!

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 21 Jul 2015 04:03 by erikphandel.

More
21 Jul 2015 04:18 #43270 by Brad2
Replied by Brad2 on topic Super Cher Noble could use your opinion
Well, now we know the series will be sold (was a bit confused on that for a while). Let us know when you figure out pricing. Also, it was mentioned at some point the idea of combining the episodes into a full length movie_Would the pricing for the movie be different from for the episodes together?

Feel free to correct me if any of this is off base.

More
Time to create page: 0.046 seconds