Amount

What media would you choose for your favourite superwoman?

14 Mar 2006 17:14 #4897 by admin
Yes SWManiacs, we want to know! If you could feature your favorite ubergirl (e.g. Supergirl, Wonderwoman, Powergirl, Fairchild, Serena, Kara, Lara, Julie, Jilly Milly, Charmin, Atalanta, Milena, etc. etc.) in any form of media, what would it be? And why? Poll runs for oh, let's say 19 days.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• admin
  • admin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
14 Mar 2006 18:05 #4900 by mr_93_jeep_grnd_cherokee
Replied by mr_93_jeep_grnd_cherokee on topic Re: What media would you choose for your favourite superwoman?
For myself, it'd have to be an ongoing live action tv series. A movie is only 2-5 hours at most. But the tv series is hour after hour every single week, then again that's just my honest opinion.

• mr_93_jeep_grnd_cherokee
More
14 Mar 2006 18:07 #4901 by YAGS
Voted for live action tv. Second best would be movie. I like seeing real women combined with modern special effects using their powers, and a tv show offers more ongoing opportunities for action than just a two hour movie.

I did notice you left out a significant option in the poll. How about the internet? Since Mandi Steele and the gang do such a great job of catering to our specific fantasy, wouldn't it be cool if there were more sites doing the same? That would be my third choice, since I would still prefer the Hollywood special effects treatment.

YAGS

More
14 Mar 2006 19:01 #4907 by WhitePaw
Well, Any, I guess. They've all their ups and downs:

Movies: Great one-shot in blowing the budget out the figgin whole new door. Unfortunately, you'll only get one shot and if your director is as di-di-dee as that last Hellen Slater flop...why bother?

Ongoing comic: We've never seen one out of a major shop that does Supergirl our kind of justice. Still waiting. Would be nice to see one.

TV-Miniseries: Could be new Battlestar Galactica HOLEE CARP good--but could be asking for a never-ending andromathon high-budget snoozefest.

Novel: I'm discovering there are things words and language can do that film and comics....can't. We do this here every day. Good, bad, and some just plain ugly. I think overall this one's easiest entry and practice, and only through PRACTICE will any of them become any good.

Trading cards: um....kinda hard to have a trading card game where all the cards are uber. Stalemate every time.

Video Game: Oh heck yes. Let's get interactive! Done right this could be sooooo....done right :) Then again, have you seen the production budgets on these monsters?

I'm voting for written stories just because you can never get enough resources (time, money, casting, artists, etc) to PRACTICE the others enough to get really good.

Wuv,
-White Paw

More
14 Mar 2006 19:03 #4908 by jdrock24
I voted for TV series for the reasons cited above.

More
14 Mar 2006 22:40 #4911 by argonaut
If it were a choice among a feature film, a comic book series, a television series, etc. done right, I'd go for the live action TV series -- 18+ hours of ubergirl content (in one season) as opposed to 2 hours for a movie.

But as WhitePaw points out, each medium presents a certain risk of disappointment. So if I were choosing a pig in a poke, I'd go for the feature film. Television rarely goes all-out with special effects, and it has a record of disappointing us super-girl aficionados -- think of the Kara episode of Smallville or the Belt of Hippolyta episode of Charmed. A two-hour movie might well provide more ubergirl action than an entire season of a weekly TV show.

How about "Broadway musical"? (Kidding!)

More
15 Mar 2006 06:38 #4921 by Rasa
Live action TV, provided that it is a halfway decent show. Many more hours of superwomeny goodness than a movie (my second choice). I liked Buffy and the first season of Dark Angel. However, despite being a fan of the genre, I couldn't bring myself to suffer through more than the first couple of episodes of Birds of Prey. It's gotta be good.

Argonaut, I'd say that superwomen movies have a track record that's even worse than their TV counterparts. I think of Supergirl, Aeon Flux, Ultraviolet, and the like, and there are few movies in the genre that I even own, let alone watch repeatedly as I do my season 1-3 sets of Buffy or my season 1 set of Dark Angel. I like and watch The Fifth Element and The Matrix (with that that brilliant opening scene), and I'm sure that there are a few others that I can't recall at the moment, but I believe that I have many more hours of quality television superwomen entertainment than I do movie superwomen entertainment. While I would completely agree that the movies are much more likely to have spectacular action sequences than TV shows, I'd take the depth of character development and hours of entertainment in a good TV show in its stead.

Just my two cents, anyway.

More
15 Mar 2006 17:56 #4926 by conceptfan
It's got to be the book for me.

1) All the characters in written stories look EXACTLY like I want them too.
2) You can have a sequel decades later and the lead female isn't a day older.
3) No forced Hollywood happy-endings/thinly-disguised right-wing moralising.
4) A book won't clash with something my wife/kids want to watch on another channel.
5) No commercial breaks/advertising of any sort before, during or after.
6) You can take a book into the bath/toilet.

More
15 Mar 2006 19:32 #4927 by argonaut

Argonaut, I'd say that superwomen movies have a track record that's even worse than their TV counterparts.

Yes, I have to concede that -- and you didn't even mention Catwoman and Elektra.

I think we agree, though, that what's important is the quality of the product and not the medium per se.

More
15 Mar 2006 20:39 #4928 by lfan
Everyone --

Just to clarify.....when I suggested the poll to admin, the overall concept was if you could have the perfect vehicle for your creation, what would it be. So if Serena, for example, was made into a movie, you would be the director/producer to make sure it was made to your specs! Same for TV, cartoons. I didn't really want to "doubt" the medium based on the current mainstream cause as people have pointed out -- they get it wrong most of the time (do I have to cite examples?). So treat the question as if would you rather see the perfect "Superior Girl" movie starring Brooke Burns or TV show starring Rachel Bilson or a comic featuring her drawn by Ed Benes, etc. No budget constraints need apply! Also, Whitepaw brought up the interactivity aspect of the "Trading Card Set" poll choice as something I didn't even think about. I shoulda clarified the concept behind that choice was a series of "pinups or artwork" dedicated to the character rather than a whole storyline comic. Thought "trading cards" would cover a "series of random cheesecake and action artwork" nicely. Carry on.....

LF

P.S. I chose TV for the simple reason that I would have 18 hrs of footage rather than 2 hrs of big studio production time. Plus Lara's already made the transition (well, soon) and would love to see her on TV! :P

Argonaut, I'd say that superwomen movies have a track record that's even worse than their TV counterparts.

Yes, I have to concede that -- and you didn't even mention Catwoman and Elektra.

I think we agree, though, that what's important is the quality of the product and not the medium per se.

More
16 Mar 2006 00:06 #4933 by argonaut

Just to clarify.....when I suggested the poll to admin, the overall concept was if you could have the perfect vehicle for your creation, what would it be.

So this is a poll for writers only? Or did you mean to say "your favorite character" rather than "your creation"? Please clarify your clarification!

If you really meant "your creation" -- I'd love to see "How Atalanta Kept the Bridge" turned into a feature film, with fitness model Summer Montabone as Atalanta (we'll assume she can act), John Rhys-Davies as Egeus (it would be fun to see him dangling from the tip of Atalanta's finger in the final scene), and Sean Connery as Thales. Oh, and Blythe Danner as Clymene.

(There's a Summer Montabone thread under "I Wish She Was Super," with links to pictures, for those interested.)

Who would other writers choose to portray their characters?

More
16 Mar 2006 02:42 #4934 by argonaut
BTW, lfan, congrats on your 500th post!

More
16 Mar 2006 02:42 #4935 by ace191
Geez, I would think by now you would know that we guys don't read, much less follow, instructions!

I think that "The Project" would make a damn fine movie with Kate on the Sliver Screen. I bet even CF would put his book down for an evening and buy a ticket.

More
16 Mar 2006 03:33 #4937 by lfan
Thanks! I'd like to thank my mom and dad for making me possible.....

LF

BTW, lfan, congrats on your 500th post!

More
16 Mar 2006 03:34 #4938 by lfan
Put his crayons down too, I would imagine! :P :P

I bet even CF would put his book down for an evening and buy a ticket.

More
16 Mar 2006 07:51 #4944 by Rasa
Sorry. My bad. I didn't understand the exercise.

More
16 Mar 2006 10:44 #4945 by conceptfan

Put his crayons down too, I would imagine! :P :P

Dream on, lfan. You can keep trying, but I'm never going to leave those crayons unattended where you can grab them. I'd wait for the movie version of The Project to come out on DVD so that I could watch it alone, at home, with the curtains shut and my lovely crayons by my side.

More
19 Mar 2006 20:43 #4978 by Grayface
I voted i did i did! I voted for the nov...big book O words. cuz I like reading. Like the points by Cf and WP. I think a well writen book can do things that no tv or movie can, in my mind any how.

More
26 Apr 2006 00:21 #5360 by happiest_in_shadows
Replied by happiest_in_shadows on topic Re: What media would you choose for your favourite superwoman?
I didn’t vote but I would have to go with an on going tv series or a cartoon series. Though the cartoon it would be along the lines of an anime just with higher production standards. I say anime because I really don’t know if one could find enough women with the type of body form I prefer. As I don’t just want the super fem to be able to tear off someone’s head I want her to look like she could as well.

What can I say? I am a fan of Amazons/Valkyries.

• happiest_in_shadows
More
26 Apr 2006 14:50 #5370 by lfan
Why didn't you vote, HIS? Regarding your selection, I'm surprised more people didn't opt for the cartoon route. While a TV Show or Live Action is more "realistic", cartoon and drawings take out the SFX constraints and allow the producers/animators to do ANYTHING within your imagination.

Want her to lift a car, tank, train, building, mountain? No problem for them, while even the best movie special effects might have a hard time pulling off some of those. This was illustrated in the JLU series where Galatea (rogue Supergirl clone) lifter and tossed an entire building in the "Fearful Symmetry" episode.

LF

I didn’t vote but I would have to go with an on going tv series or a cartoon series. Though the cartoon it would be along the lines of an anime just with higher production standards. I say anime because I really don’t know if one could find enough women with the type of body form I prefer. As I don’t just want the super fem to be able to tear off someone’s head I want her to look like she could as well.

What can I say? I am a fan of Amazons/Valkyries.

More
28 Apr 2006 03:20 #5416 by red wolf
Novel. It's the only way to have your heroine the way you want her to be.

More
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds