Amount

RPG

18 Dec 2008 04:02 #14440 by yaracyrrah
RPG was created by yaracyrrah
Speaking of contributing. I've recently gotten back into (online) role-playing games after a hiatus, and I'm starting to get into running games instead of just playing in them. So, if anyone would be interested in playing in an RPG especially for superwomen, post here or PM me, tell me what you'd like, and I'll see if I can get something running.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• yaracyrrah
  • yaracyrrah's Avatar Topic Author
More
21 Dec 2008 12:29 #14488 by Lastleaf
Replied by Lastleaf on topic Re: RPG
I'm interested, but I'm not playing the superheroine.

More
21 Dec 2008 22:13 #14497 by yaracyrrah
Replied by yaracyrrah on topic Re: RPG

I'm interested, but I'm not playing the superheroine.

What/who would you like to play?

• yaracyrrah
More
22 Dec 2008 08:49 #14502 by Lastleaf
Depends on the story, I mean, if its like supergirl as a teenager then I go play one of her classmates. If it's more serious than that then I prefer to be some sort of authority like a police officer or even the military. I could play the villain but I don't know if whoever is playing the heroine could handle what I can dish out :D

More
23 Dec 2008 16:26 #14513 by yaracyrrah
Okay. What kind of story/plot/action do you prefer? Can you give me an example of what might happen in a game around each of those roles?

• yaracyrrah
More
24 Dec 2008 00:24 #14522 by Lastleaf
That is the question, what kind of story. I originally thought the game you envisioned would be something like Daphne Orgone's Bronzebabe. So I went on the idea and planned on reviving my character from that game. Also I've been reading Spiderman loves Mary Jane so I have a sweet spot for some Supergirl slice of life stories. But that might not be what you had in mind so I cooked up some alternates.

Being an authority figure means, well I have authority, and the character I thought up for this is for a more mature and realistic type of game. He would berate mistakes and scold at irresponsibilities in his most "my own way" but he basically looks out for the best in what he sees in everyone. Including the heroes.

Truth is I think (scratch that), I can play in any type of story. I just don't like playing the main protagonist because I don't like the spotlight, which I inevitably draw :P , Also time constraints. I live in the Philippines basically half a day away from you I can't have the story hanging on me waiting for a reply.

That also means I only game play by post.

I also prefer free form, though a supers game I prefer Mutants and Masterminds system but I'm not well versed in that. Been a long time since I played a supers game.

One last thing, invite others, namely Brantley, he knows RPG.

More
24 Dec 2008 09:37 #14526 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Re: RPG

I also prefer free form, though a supers game I prefer Mutants and Masterminds system but I'm not well versed in that. Been a long time since I played a supers game.

While I'm not interested in laying, I already play too much RPG in real life, I'm avaible to help, I knew the M&M quite well. If I can throw in my suggestion maybe it will be better to build the characters using M&M, just to make them decently balaced, and palying the sotry free-form usign the stats only as guidelines.

• Woodclaw
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
24 Dec 2008 09:56 #14527 by Lastleaf
I had the same idea as you have, set the stats as guidelines.

Why not join, Anon?

More
26 Dec 2008 08:51 #14538 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Re: RPG

I had the same idea as you have, set the stats as guidelines.

Why not join, Anon?

First, because I have little spare time right now, I've just finbished the college and I'm looking for work, and second, because I had some very negative experience with Play by mail and Play by forum games in the past, while they looks great they tend to grow out of control in no time, especially because of the time lag between the different posts (and since I live far from the US my time lag will be quite long).

• Woodclaw
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
26 Dec 2008 21:15 #14542 by yaracyrrah
I am familiar with M&M and I like the stats-as-guidelines idea. But I don't have any game in mind. I'm good at reacting to PCs; I'm not good at making stuff up from scratch. I was expecting there to be plenty of people here who would be keen to play a superwoman and would have a particular kind of game already in mind. *shrug*.

• yaracyrrah
More
27 Dec 2008 08:54 #14546 by Lastleaf

I was expecting there to be plenty of people here who would be keen to play a superwoman and would have a particular kind of game already in mind. *shrug*.

I thought so too, look at Transformatrix, plenty of people created a superwoman of their own.

Reality is, a game with superpowers especially one with a superwoman as we see her is not the easiest to handle. She'd be too powerful to successfully challenge and the way some writers here portray her, as a uninhibited bitch, makes running a game with her... daunting. Superman stories work because he still has his Achilles' heel, namely he is a morally upright person though sometimes naive and he is still Clark Kent, someone who could be interacted with. Not so with the superwomen portrayed here, envisioned as goddesses who live in pleasure, callous and indifferent.

I erased a lot of stuff here as I felt I don't need to lecture what makes a good story. :cry:

So until I find that heroine not some stuck up bitch I won't be running a game.

More
28 Dec 2008 18:51 #14558 by yaracyrrah
That attitude always seems snobbish to me, though perhaps you don't mean it that way. Dramatic stories and complex characters are fun, but wish-fulfillment is also fun. Everyone has their own preferred balance and range. As a player, I like it when my character is physically almost unstoppable (making for occasional wish-fulfillment action scenes), but I also like to focus on her psychology and relationships. (That hasn't been apparent in my writing here because I'm a bad writer; that's why I like role-playing, it lets me focus.) But as a GM, I think it's my job to give the player what he wants, not to enforce my own conception of a good story.

• yaracyrrah
More
28 Dec 2008 19:27 #14559 by Spulo
Replied by Spulo on topic Re: RPG

I was expecting there to be plenty of people here who would be keen to play a superwoman and would have a particular kind of game already in mind.

*hand up*

I don't have any ideas, but I'd be up for playing a superwoman...

More
28 Dec 2008 22:43 #14565 by yaracyrrah

I don't have any ideas, but I'd be up for playing a superwoman...

Well, do you have any preferences? My impression is that you prefer heroines to villainesses, but maybe not, or maybe you'd like to try something different for a change. Would you like to be new to your powers or be a seasoned veteran? Would you like to be the only superbeing in the world, or one of a few, or one of many? Would you like to be exploring the dating scene, or going steady, or married, or happily single? Etc.

• yaracyrrah
More
29 Dec 2008 08:06 #14569 by Spulo
Replied by Spulo on topic Re: RPG
Definitely a heroine, and probably the only superbeing in the world. Definitely not a newbie, but also not so experienced that I couldn't slip up from time to time.

And in terms of relationships - lesbian. That's honestly how'd I be most comfortable writing. Although it would be nice to have a loyal steady girlfriend to cheer me on I kinda like the idea that she's single but looking, with lots of guys interested in her and very few girls...

More
29 Dec 2008 12:38 #14571 by yaracyrrah
All good :) . I'd say it's time to shift out of first gear and talk details. Such as:

1) "Make a character", as it were: tell me details about your heroine and her lifestyle. Your call whether she keeps a secret identity; either way I'll play the resulting issues for comedy rather than suspense. (Personally, the secret-ID trope annoys me, but YMMV.) Also I'd like to know what she's looking for in a girlfriend, as best you can put it into words.

2) Where on the board should we put the story? I hope that once we prove that it can be done we'll spawn enough games to justify a "Role-Playing Games" sub-forum under "Stories, Writers and Artists", but that's probably too ambitious. Or would you rather play by PM or email and post edited recaps instead?

3) Everything else I'm not thinking of at the moment.

4) Profit! :D

• yaracyrrah
More
29 Dec 2008 16:24 #14572 by Lastleaf
Were you thinking of wish-fulfillment? I see, I thought it would be a more social game, attract posters here to play and have fun. I thought it would be a story of a superwoman and how others react to being around one. Those other being super powered or not, either comrades, rivals, mentors even outright enemies. Also includes family and friends.

I see you're more leaning on a more solo play.

More
01 Jan 2009 15:29 #14618 by yaracyrrah
Lastleaf, that's utterly wrong, but I think I finally figured out what you're upset about. The reason I didn't move forward with your idea was that I assumed that you wouldn't want to play in a game in which the central character was played by the GM, so I was waiting for someone else to volunteer to play the superwoman. Spulo spoke up, I asked him to tell me about his character's milieu so we could see what roles were available for others to play... and then you went off at me. Am I right that it's because you thought I was ignoring you? Because I wasn't.

• yaracyrrah
More
02 Jan 2009 00:24 #14624 by Lastleaf
No, it wasn't that, what I'm saying is the inherent difficulties of creating a balanced campaign in which one character is more powerful than everyone else. Especially when that one decides to exploit that to the detriment of other players. That was my concern, given of my knowledge of the posters here. So the ST should rein in the control from the start.

More
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds