Amount

Would people like....

15 Sep 2011 00:02 - 15 Sep 2011 00:04 #24796 by lfan
Would people like.... was created by lfan
...to feature some or parts of the Storybank in Audio format? I've gotten the name of a pretty good professional voiceover talent that would read our stories (of course for a fee). Here is a sampling that I got her to do:

www.superwomenmania.com/audio/audioM.mp3

We'd still have to figure out how to pay for her services. Unfortunately, this stuff isn't that cheap, and it's another expense for this site that I cannot take on personally. However, donations or specific "story orders" (e.g. pay for a specific story to be read -- I have my favorites!) might be options. Would love to hear some feedback on this...

ElF
Last edit: 15 Sep 2011 00:04 by lfan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
15 Sep 2011 00:07 #24797 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Re: Would people like....
The sample is pretty good, but I'm not a fan of audiobooks.Don't count me in, at least for the moment.

More
15 Sep 2011 05:17 #24800 by bionicskillz
Replied by bionicskillz on topic Re: Would people like....
That was pretty sexy.

More
15 Sep 2011 08:51 #24801 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Re: Would people like....
This has real potential!

More
15 Sep 2011 10:51 #24802 by ChaozCloud
Replied by ChaozCloud on topic Re: Would people like....
I'm not a contributor so I dunno how much say I got in stuff like this. But I feel that if money is going to be spent, I rather have it spent on promoting creation of new content instead of polishing old content.
Though it's a cool idea, I must say I don't think I'll ever use it. Would be nice to be proven wrong though :P

More
15 Sep 2011 16:02 #24803 by oldHarmonyMotion
Replied by oldHarmonyMotion on topic Re: Would people like....
That is pretty awesome. Rest of the post is somewhat related, somewhat rambling.

If we actually embark on this, how would it be done? Donations into a joint fund, and then voting for what story gets read?

When was this reading done? It made me nostalgic for Cf.

It's funny that this post showed up today; I was just wondering who bears the burden of the costs of running this site. Can we donate somewhere?

• oldHarmonyMotion
More
15 Sep 2011 18:22 #24804 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Re: Would people like....
Since you asked, SWM is run solely free for its users with the support of FATS from the programming side of things and myself from the production and content side of things. All our time is compensated solely from the joys of our readers! :P

In terms of website expenses, any and all of those are handled by me which includes hosting costs, domain costs as well as any "prize money" or site-sponsored commissioned artwork. Fats has been gracious enough to donate his programming time for free to which I am eternally grateful. Up to this point, site costs have been manageable so I haven't felt the need to run ads or solicit donations.

In the case of audiobooks, I would need to definitely solicit at least some of the funds, as that is an expense I cannot take on myself. To put into perspective, a "long" story like Milena costs about $50 for a reading (per chapter which is 7500 words roughly) and audiophile by a "good" and professional VO actress. Believe me, I did my research, and this is about as cheap as you get for the quality we'd prefer (a couple of the auditions sounded so unappealing). If someone can find a good and cheaper alternative, I'm all ears.

I'm in discussions with another party to do a collaborative contest for more content as well (artwork) where we'd give away a sizable cash prize to solicit "top notch talent". This is still be mulled over, but if we go ahead with it -- since it's my idea -- I'll put up SWM's share of the prize money. I only mention this cause of ChaozCloud's comment that he'd rather pay for securing more content. Along those lines, does anyone have any good ideas on how to do that? Cash prozes for the story contests? paid story commissions for the library? Others?

Would love to hear people's thoughts on any/all of this....

ElF

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 Sep 2011 02:46 #24806 by eavatar
Replied by eavatar on topic Re: Would people like....
Why don't we organize our own kickstart entry? It could fund our audiobooks, which could be sold for, let say, US$ 5,00 (more or less 3 euros)

Going ahead is the only one way to go to the future.

More
16 Sep 2011 03:19 #24807 by Grayface
Replied by Grayface on topic Re: Would people like....
I agree 100% with ChaozCloud. If money is going to be spent why not use it for new content rather than pimping out old stuff.

I myself would never use it. for me this is a very erotic fetish and I would never load a story in my mp3 player to take out and about. It just wouldn't work out well, if I'm gonna stay in my darkened room with my computer on I might as well read it.

So I vote for using any monies for new content.

More
16 Sep 2011 06:58 #24810 by jnw550
Replied by jnw550 on topic Re: Would people like....
I'm all for it and would even pay for it. Any way sound effects could be added? That would be da coolest!

More
16 Sep 2011 10:43 #24812 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Re: Would people like....
Audio books are not something that I am particularly interested in. It's a cool idea, just not for me.

- GeekSeven

More
17 Sep 2011 00:42 #24820 by steelknight3000
Replied by steelknight3000 on topic Re: Would people like....
I agree with the others that say cash would be better spent creating new art.

More
17 Sep 2011 08:23 #24823 by yohashuan
Replied by yohashuan on topic Re: Would people like....

steelknight3000 wrote: I agree with the others that say cash would be better spent creating new art.

...or games.

More
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds