Amount

Crescent

10 Dec 2011 09:24 - 10 Dec 2011 09:38 #25675 by Dr. Muttonchops
Crescent was created by Dr. Muttonchops
What do you guys think of this idea?

It takes place in any Arabian country (Saudi Arabia etc.) A headstrong teenaged girl named Aisha (who loves America and is secretly opposed to the Islamic regime in her country) is betrothed to a brutish, wealthy, middle-aged business man. Then, by some miraculous twist of fate (chemicals, a meteor, whatever) she gains all the standard superpowers, and lets her rebelliousness run wild. She cuts off her engagement and dons a skimpy costume. So when trouble arises, she strips off her burqua, and goes on to fight injustice against women as the heroine, Crescent! Sorry if this idea has already been taken.
Last edit: 10 Dec 2011 09:38 by Dr. Muttonchops.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dr. Muttonchops
  • Dr. Muttonchops's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Dec 2011 09:43 #25676 by Caylane
Replied by Caylane on topic Re: Crescent
Sounds like it would be a good read if someone got to work on that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Muttonchops

More
10 Dec 2011 09:47 #25677 by Dr. Muttonchops
Replied by Dr. Muttonchops on topic Re: Crescent
Thanks! I appreciate that!

• Dr. Muttonchops
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Dec 2011 16:39 #25678 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Re: Crescent

drmuttonchops3 wrote: What do you guys think of this idea?

It takes place in any Arabian country (Saudi Arabia etc.) A headstrong teenaged girl named Aisha (who loves America and is secretly opposed to the Islamic regime in her country) is betrothed to a brutish, wealthy, middle-aged business man. Then, by some miraculous twist of fate (chemicals, a meteor, whatever) she gains all the standard superpowers, and lets her rebelliousness run wild. She cuts off her engagement and dons a skimpy costume. So when trouble arises, she strips off her burqua, and goes on to fight injustice against women as the heroine, Crescent! Sorry if this idea has already been taken.

As far as I know this idea has floated around for a while, but none has used it so far. It sound pretty interesting, but I think that you might change the codename of the character. "Crescent" sound a little too Captain Ethnic.

More
10 Dec 2011 16:57 #25679 by Artnico
Replied by Artnico on topic Re: Crescent
Very good idea ! :)

More
10 Dec 2011 18:37 #25680 by Sarge395
Replied by Sarge395 on topic Re: Crescent

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Sarge395
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
10 Dec 2011 20:04 #25681 by Dr. Muttonchops
I wasn't crazy about the name either, but it's the best I could do.

• Dr. Muttonchops
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Dec 2011 22:13 #25682 by yohashuan
Replied by yohashuan on topic Re: Crescent
It's a great concept, but honestly, the whole thing hinged to me on the phrase "(...who loves America...)" It turns it on it's ear and makes it into a kind of trite political piece, instead of an honest work of character-driven fiction. And if a topic like this is treated more like a simple morality tale than a character piece, it's gonna come off as "Self Righteous Western Author Wags Finger at Other Cultures." (Or "Captain Ethnic"... I like that lol).

I think the idea in itself is a great one, but I'd love to see it treated with great care. Actually I'd love it if one of the many lurkers here who actually come from a Muslim country would write this story from an insider's perspective. I'd think the heroine's motivations would be a lot more personal and a lot less political. I'd think that if a local girl with a kind heart and a secular outlook who lived under a oppressive regime suddenly gained superpowers, she'd still be a proud countrywoman, and would probably follow a different arc.

Yes, the first thing she'd do would be use her powers first to free herself from the marriage, then move on to toppling the regime. And there would be many chances for one-hand-tank-lifts in those scenes. But she wouldn't be hi-fiving American soldiers as she did it, because the second thing she'd do would be set out to help her newly liberated people claim America's place at the top of the world's food chain. The thought being "it's time for us to finally take our rightful place at the throne of the world."

Heroine Name: "Arab Spring"? I think it's a great and timely idea. I'd just love to see it treated like a serious, character-driven story.

More
10 Dec 2011 22:18 #25683 by Dr. Muttonchops
This thread is getting too PC for me, I'm out.

• Dr. Muttonchops
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Dec 2011 22:21 - 10 Dec 2011 22:22 #25684 by The Highlander
Replied by The Highlander on topic Re: Crescent
It could be a good idea, but it would probably need some fairly carefully handling to avoid turning into an offensive caricature of the Middle East. There was a story a few years ago featuring an Islamic version of Supergirl, here’s a link to it Link , it seemed to manage fairly well.
Last edit: 10 Dec 2011 22:22 by The Highlander.

More
10 Dec 2011 22:22 #25685 by yohashuan
Replied by yohashuan on topic Re: Crescent
...Wait! No! Skimpy flying Arab bikini chick gone wild will be fine! Write the story!! :)

More
11 Dec 2011 02:47 #25687 by freeLancer
Replied by freeLancer on topic Re: Crescent
It could probably work if it was something like Russian or Chinese which are not as sensitive as the Middle East just right now.

Chinese families especially in the older days tend to favour the male children.

So perhaps something based on the oppression of a young chinese girl. It will be heavily stereotyped of course.

Just my 2 cents - not asserting that you should or should not do either. I am just happy to have more stories to read :cheer:

More
25 Jan 2012 22:30 - 25 Jan 2012 22:31 #26020 by Berkhart
Replied by Berkhart on topic Re: Crescent
I think this is definitely an idea that should be explored! Always happy to see women from other parts of the world gaining incredible power. I kind of like yohashuan's suggestion where a Middle Eastern superwoman upsets the whole world order. In my fantasy, plenty of people would have reason to fear the newly empowered Arab woman, to include, not just the western powers, but also unyielding dictators and oppressive religious fundamentalists.

Here's my choice for this kind of story: Lebanon's Dominique Hourani

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 25 Jan 2012 22:31 by Berkhart.

More
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds