Amount

Supergirl society

24 Dec 2012 06:48 - 24 Dec 2012 07:18 #29817 by Gliblord
Supergirl society was created by Gliblord
I have an idea for a supergirl society in a semi-fantasy setting. That is to say, a society where every girl past puberty eclipses the strongest male to the point of effortless superiority (let's say the average girl is 10 to 15 times stronger than the average guy). Each girl also enjoys far keener senses and can jet through the landscape with bursts of enhanced speed, along with a healing factor and very slow aging after around 30. Girls don't, however, boast heightened intelligence relative to their Y chromosome counterparts, since in my opinion that would limit story possibilities (since males would never be relevant otherwise). Super memory, maybe, but no super intelligence.

My question to you all is: What would such a society be like?

Just to expand on my tentative ideas so far:

**A hierarchy of status and class based on strength level, with a frighteningly powerful Empress and a regiment of enforcer-generals. Normal girls who don't train to be enforcers or warriors would be on the first rung, with social mobility allowed if they get stronger. Premium placed on strength, not a meritocracy.

**General and Empress level women can unlock additional powers unique amongst each other. The power unlocked is arbitrary except that it relates in some way to the user's core personality. For example, a girl who likes exploring might develop an ability to see through objects, and a spy might express her intrinsic nature with a camouflage power. Empress level women wield multiple abilities.

**Residential buildings and other technology are scarcely required by a society where each woman's basic needs can be met with no real trouble. Prisons are reserved for men and boys; while there exist ditch prisons for offending women, the most commonly meted punishment for a disobedient girl is either torture or execution.

**After age 30, girls age much more slowly. Every five years for a man is like a single year for a woman. However, once a woman reaches old age, her strength ebbs.

**Men have been selectively bred almost exclusively as courtesans, bred for their sexual attractiveness and endurance. Preferred types range from cute/boyish to muscular/manly. Men are generally left to their own side-society on the outskirts once they exit their sexual prime; outright discarding of men is frowned upon because of the gender disparity (generally more women than there are men) and because they're not total monsters and recognize that men have feelings, too. However, they're definitely fifth class people who are mostly dead to rights. Higher status women tend to hoard men as harems, and so most girls go without husbands.

**Education is not placed at a premium in society. Universities are rare and small.

**Lesbianism/bisexuality is obviously not taboo. However, as in real life, most girls prefer men. (Of course, male/male relationships exist in abundance as well.)

**Immediate/nuclear families aren't as important as clans and lineages.

**It's far more difficult to lie to a woman, because of their heightened senses (hearing heart rates, smelling traces of the liar's former whereabouts, zeroing in on a slight blush, etc.). Everybody has a tell. However, this can make trained spies super effective, because women don't typically expect lying as an option. Young girls before puberty can't detect lies nearly as precisely, and so they are subject to all manner of Santa Claus-esque myths and wonderment.

**The only time males and females are roughly equal is before puberty. Bonds can form between brother and sister despite societal expectations. The future always looms as a shadow over brother-sister sibling fun.

**Since there are excess women, many become pilgrims or nuns, vowing chastity and charity. Many who don't vow chastity choose to minister to disaffected and old menfolk. Some go forth as explorers.

**Women enjoy intellectual games, but physical activity is usually incorporated in games even as simple as tic-tac-toe since fatigue is rare.

**On the other hand, to keep things interesting, women require the same amount of air, sun, food and water as the average real life woman. To keep things even more interesting, while no girls are ugly, they're not all K-cup supermodels either. I feel it's important to admire other forms of beauty/attractiveness/cuteness than "8 feet tall with gravity-defying melons and flawless complexion," both for diversity's and for sanity's sake. It might even prove prudent (and hot, of course) to explore some plus size beauty.

**Different, possibly warring city-states with different guiding philosophies or even something akin to ethnicities.

**Vast uncharted lands full of demons and dragons even the Empress couldn't lay a hand on. Adventure world with secrets and histories each city-state's revisionist propaganda doesn't entertain as possible.

**A bit like A Song of Fire and Ice in that it's a magical world but people can't cast spells (casting spells would make the super strength more or less pointless, I feel.)

**A woman's diet consists mostly of fantastic beasts. It's a rite of passage for a young lady to slay and cook a pack of manticores unaided.

**Cooking is one of the more appreciated non-warrior/enforcer trades, as a woman's tongue is super sensitive and can savor meals at a higher level. Other trades include epic poetry (bardesses are renowned for their transmission of history and mega memorization), sports stars, and fashionistas (especially regarding hair styling and jewelry).

**Gardening is also practiced (no need for agriculture because even 13-year-old girls can hunt effectively). Artisanry is valued only if the artistic skill displayed is extreme, and intricate down to the barely visible level (thinking microwriting on grains of rice).

**Female prostitutes exist, of course. Females experience orgasm with thirtyfold intensity compared to males. Furthermore, there's a level of sexual bliss past even orgasm, referred to as "quaking"; it is achieved through expert stimulation at length, typically performed by multiple people on a single social better. Quaking can be dangerous because it causes a woman to become a hedonistic blur, eating and drinking massive amounts and craving more pleasure to an almost psychotic extent before the volcanoes upon volcanoes of bliss finally stop chain-erupting. Quaking is as such admitted once per year on a feast holiday. Quaking can cause a state called quakelock where a young/old woman whose body isn't strong enough for it snaps into rigor mortis for as many as ten days to prevent inadvertent suicide from the high-speed vibration.

**The official currency is the tooth of a beast that lives only in captivity in the Empress's guarded gardens.

Got any more ideas? I'd absolutely love to hear them.
Last edit: 24 Dec 2012 07:18 by Gliblord.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gliblord
  • Gliblord's Avatar Topic Author
More
24 Dec 2012 13:44 #29819 by Esteban
Replied by Esteban on topic Supergirl society
What would the vast areas with dragons etc. be there for? I mean, what plots should happen there?
As I should really go help with the christmas preparations, I'll only add: I think you have a very nice idea there. Superior but not god-like girls, and a full society of them, cool thing. I've read stories with similar settings (on deviantart: World of domination; on literotica the sex mage stories), I think they work great.

More
24 Dec 2012 17:44 #29822 by SophiePortmane
Replied by SophiePortmane on topic Supergirl society
Hey Esteban, I don't find the stories you speak about, do you have links please?

More
24 Dec 2012 21:44 - 24 Dec 2012 21:58 #29824 by Esteban
Sure, sorry.
The "World Of Dominance" stories can be found here:
gigaftw.deviantart.com/gallery/
There are 3 parts, a page about the characters, and one about the overall setting. I don't think you should read the characters page, but the setting is helpful. There is also a nice collection of muscle-bound and/or giantess-related photomanips.
Roughly, the world of dominance is about the scenario that by puberty, women evolve into a kind of uber-gender. Men go through their normal development, but are small as children compared to a woman. Also, their strength exceeds that of a man by far. In the rough classification of "the door to a girls room is so heavy that no man could ever hope to open it". Unfortunately there isn't much content, but I liked what I found.

The "Sex Mage" universe is quite a large field (compared to world of dominance). These are the stories on literotica:
www.literotica.com/stories/memberpage.ph...173&page=submissions
As far as I know, the entry story to this is here:
www.literotica.com/s/amys-trepidation-joes-panic
The universe works roughly like this. When coming of age, women develop something called sex magic. At first this seems to be only happen with few women, but as everything carries on, it gets pretty standard and revolutionizes the whole society. Sex magic makes women able to sense sexual arousal in a man (some see a glowing, some hear a humming,...), and after some time they can take control of it. By their sexual arousal, men's mind can be invaded by a woman, not only reading but also manipulating their thoughts and even physical actions. In later stories, women can even exert some kind of telekinesis, making men levitate, forcing them to their knees and stuff like that. The main thing happening in these stories is tease and denial. Women make men hot and horny until they beg for release, but the woman might use her control over him to block his orgasm. This can be used as a great technique in bed, but also in a bullying way by high school girls.
Careful though, in the linked list are also stories that are set in the "World of Civero". It is similar to the sex mage universe, but clearly a different thing. Here, not all women have sex magic, and men can have it too. Also, the abilities differ a bit. Not all stories have a tag at the beginning to tell if it is civero or sex mage, but after reading the stories "Amy's trepidation, Joe's panic", "Nikki's struggle" and "Sandy and the boy next door", you'll be quite able to tell them apart. If it contains words like e.g. "demihuman" or "psychic", it's very probably a Civero story. Not that there is anything bad about it, but Sex Mage stories are a bit easier to follow because there are less many different things you have to know about.
Back to the sex mage universe. Not all of it is listed on literotica. In fact, the author seems to have moved to a blog and has many entries:
sexmagesandotherstrangeness.blogspot.de/
Somewhere there, I think I remember to have found a set of stories that kind of put a conclusion to that universe. I can't find it right now, but I think it must be either there or on literotica.

Hope you'll have fun with it :)
Oh, I should note that the Sex Mage universe doesn't contain any kind of super strength stuff. Women have tremendous power over men and can even exert physical control, but only with their mind. Shoot one of those girls and she's dead, and she also won't lift a car or anything. I found it extremely hot anyway, and the tease&denial stuff can really get you going if it doesn't oppose your taste.

One last edit: I haven't read many of the civero stories, but the 3 part series "Kat's boytoy" in the literotica list is very good and gives you a rough overview about what's possible in that universe.
Last edit: 24 Dec 2012 21:58 by Esteban.

More
24 Dec 2012 23:22 - 24 Dec 2012 23:23 #29827 by Gliblord
Replied by Gliblord on topic Supergirl society

Esteban wrote: What would the vast areas with dragons etc. be there for? I mean, what plots should happen there?

I was thinking of making the protagonist an explorer (maybe even an outcast) who eventually becomes strong enough to defeat a dragon.
Last edit: 24 Dec 2012 23:23 by Gliblord.

• Gliblord
More
25 Dec 2012 01:00 #29829 by Esteban
Ok, sounds cool. Sorry for hijacking your thread by the way..

More
25 Dec 2012 07:14 #29834 by Gliblord
I'm fascinated by the implications of a supergirl society. What customs might develop in such a world? What would their edifices be like? What's meal time like? Even minute things like what sort of recreational drugs they could indulge in. How do aupergirls greet each other? Handshakes or genuflecting? The historical origins of both of those things lie in showing the other person you had no weapons on your person, but such a thing would obviously not be necessary in a society where the concept of "weapons" apart from the human body is unheard of. Might a supergirl salutation be locking arms so neither can toss the other? After all, supergirls should be able to fling each other hurtling through the air fairly handily, given the gap between their light weight and massive strength.

These are the sorts of things I think about.

Getting to the naughtier side, a male might be expected to salute a woman by thrusting his crotch forward for inspection. He is, by and large, a sex toy on legs, who can occasionally amuse his mistresses with fluff conversation.

I imagine because they seldom experience exhaustion, intrafemale language would include way more gesturing, almost like dancing to convey tone or mood. They might even have some fun with breast jiggling in that vein.

Speaking of which, I think it almost goes without saying that absent any form of oppressive patriarchy, supergirls are far more liberal with their attire, and can go topless if they so choose. Everyday invulnerability means there's no practical slant to clothing, and all garb is pure fashion. Therefore, a much higher percentage of women express themselves with Lady Gaga level eccentricity. As for body art and tattoos, those are considered especially cool, because it's difficult to apply tattoos to such tough skin and it's generally more pain that most supergirls experience in their daily lives. Temporary cosmetics are naturally a part of fashion as well. Imagine a society where a lady can paint her top half blue one morning and nobody thinks anything of it anymore than you would comment on a new haircut. Of course, poor aesthetic taste will face at least a modicum of ridicule: if the same lady painted her top half blue with rainbow polka dots, her daring new look might not meet the critical reception she was hoping for.

There's no real culture of generosity or hospitality, for the most part, since the vast majority of girls are extremely self-sufficient and almost certain to live long lives with tons of heavenly sex, food, sex, grog, and sex (things can get so hedonistic that spontaneous orgies occur once in a blue moon). It's mostly a culture of stronger females taking and taking; girls lower on the totem pole are obligated to obey to their social betters' whims on pain of torture. In turn, these girls expect the same of their anonymous sex slave men.

• Gliblord
More
25 Dec 2012 10:52 #29835 by SophiePortmane
Replied by SophiePortmane on topic Supergirl society

Esteban wrote: Ok, sounds cool. Sorry for hijacking your thread by the way..

Don't be sorry :) and thanks for your precision! I don't have time to read your stories today but I think I'll like them! (after all psychic power is a superpower too)

More
25 Dec 2012 14:00 #29837 by Esteban

Gliblord wrote: Might a supergirl salutation be locking arms so neither can toss the other? After all, supergirls should be able to fling each other hurtling through the air fairly handily, given the gap between their light weight and massive strength.

These are the sorts of things I think about.

Getting to the naughtier side, a male might be expected to salute a woman by thrusting his crotch forward for inspection. He is, by and large, a sex toy on legs, who can occasionally amuse his mistresses with fluff conversation.

Great thoughts :) Especially the one on supergirls tossing each other around.. sure, if a supergirl has flight powers she can use it to root herself in place, but if two girls are "only" unearthly strong, their weight and the density of earth's surface won't be that much of an obstacle to either lifting each other up or pushing each other into the ground ;)
Self-humiliating salutes for an inferior man in front of his high mistress: Totally approved. Please make it happen ;)

SophiePortmane wrote: Don't be sorry :) and thanks for your precision! I don't have time to read your stories today but I think I'll like them! (after all psychic power is a superpower too)

Perfectly right about psychic powers being superpowers, and in this case they are really well done I think. Maybe you can send me a PM or something when you read some of the stories, I'd really like to exchange thoughts about them with someone :)

More
25 Dec 2012 16:31 #29838 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Supergirl society
I think that this is a very interesting topic, but I think that some considerations from the "male side" are in order.

First of all having a society where women age that much slower than males means that there will be either a massive emotional detachment or some other kind of coping mechanism. After all a woman is very likely to survive not just her husband/companion, but also their eventual male children and possibly grandchildren.

Given the disparity of natural abilities between males and females, this will make the various kind of crafts, like masonry, metalworking, sewing etc. useless for females, but fundamental for males. This might eventually led to an almost male-only caste of artisans and workers.

Linked to the above element, weapons will be more or less a male-only trapping (a possible exception for ranger weapons). Another possible consequence is that martial arts will be developed in very different ways depending on the sex. Women will probably focus on unarmed combat, whereas men will focus on weapon based techniques.

As for the way to salute, I think that it depends on the general style of the society. In real world bowing is a way to show thrust as well as submission, because you put yourself into a position where you can't react easily to an attack. While shaking hands come from an old custom to grasp the other person arm checking for a hidden weapon.

Also I'm not a fan of degrading one sex that much, so the crotch salute is a definite downer for me.

More
26 Dec 2012 09:09 #29848 by Lastleaf
Replied by Lastleaf on topic Supergirl society
Frankly, if you're really interested about how a society develops then read about history, you'll understand what such oppressive regime you've concocted would lead. Your girls are just about what 10-15 times stronger? That is not such a huge disparity that would enable one to keep control of another. The only reason that your society exist is you put a natural barrier of dragons and demons. Without them humanity would continue on with the discovery of agriculture nad other things that made our society today.

More
26 Dec 2012 11:32 #29850 by Esteban
Actually, I imagined this to exist in a medieval-like world, quite like in The Song of Ice and Fire. You have a zone where the state-of-the-art civilization can't exist, but where humans can live free of natures hassles, their civilization develops as usual. Agriculture, villages, beginnings of feudalism, where the higher ranks of society are held by women.
You may be right that with advancing technology, the physical advantage of women over men is probably nullified some day because you just have to wait for the gun that's large enough, but I don't think that stories in this universe would have to explore that point in time.

More
27 Dec 2012 02:27 #29856 by Gliblord

Anon wrote: I think that this is a very interesting topic, but I think that some considerations from the "male side" are in order.

First of all having a society where women age that much slower than males means that there will be either a massive emotional detachment or some other kind of coping mechanism. After all a woman is very likely to survive not just her husband/companion, but also their eventual male children and possibly grandchildren.

Yeah, I don't know if I'll keep the slow aging that pronounced in the end, but that's basically the reason I came up with "lineages are more important than nuclear families in this society."

On the other hand, I might make men more active (if not equal, respectable in their own way) participants in society by giving them some sort of power aside from super strength that women don't have access to. Maybe men have the power to become seers and spirit mediums? Some sort of psychic resonance? Not sure yet. I'd still like them to be primarily seen as "existing for the sexual pleasure of women," though, because I'm still in it for the jollies lol.

Here's some other stuff I came up with!

Culture of fire

Since women are impervious to getting burned by fire (they can stick their hands into an open fire no problem), there are torches and massive bonfires everywhere in supergirl territory. They serve as something like water coolers, fora for upstanding workaday supergirls to meet and chat. And they light up the night as well, since supergirls need less sleep (2 hours a day, let's say). This also lends to a culture of outdoor cooking (supergirls enjoy four meals a day).

Micromusic

Because of super hearing, it can be quite annoying to listen to music other girls are playing within earshot, so many girls play their own music with barely perceptible, inaudible-to-nonsuper-ears clicks of their fingernails. It's the equivalent of softly whispering. Speaking of fingernails, many will deliberately let some of their nails grow out because they're so hard to break (supergirl hair doesn't have the same quality and can be shorn as easily as nonsuper hair).

A developmental stage beyond "adult"

At the age of 30, a woman's aging decelerates, but why stop there? Let's say they consider this a stage past "adult," like a butterfly's might have considered its life as a caterpillar its childhood and its time as a cocoon its time as an adult before ascending to its final glorious form. This is partially inspired by this image of cool energy wings:

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

So I thought it'd be cool if girls got their own energy wings. I don't think they'll fly with them though, they'd just be like a peacock's tail, for show.

Sports as erotica

I think that in such a society, girls would seldom experience exhaustion or physical taxing except in two instances: contests of strength, and sexual afterglow. That's why sports events might be pretty steamy affairs, featuring grunting and sweating that doesn't often occur outside of lovemaking.

Strength level questions

I wonder if it's possible to calculate how strong one would need to be to be able to crack rock or punch through steel, on every supergirl fan's favorite scale of "number of times stronger than the average guy" (e.g., 10x, 100x, 500x, etc.) Does something like a superhero strength scale already exist?

• Gliblord
More
27 Dec 2012 09:00 - 27 Dec 2012 09:02 #29857 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Supergirl society

Gliblord wrote: There's no real culture of generosity or hospitality, for the most part, since the vast majority of girls are extremely self-sufficient and almost certain to live long lives with tons of heavenly sex, food, sex, grog, and sex (things can get so hedonistic that spontaneous orgies occur once in a blue moon). It's mostly a culture of stronger females taking and taking; girls lower on the totem pole are obligated to obey to their social betters' whims on pain of torture. In turn, these girls expect the same of their anonymous sex slave men.

Gliblord wrote: Culture of fire

Since women are impervious to getting burned by fire (they can stick their hands into an open fire no problem), there are torches and massive bonfires everywhere in supergirl territory. They serve as something like water coolers, fora for upstanding workaday supergirls to meet and chat. And they light up the night as well, since supergirls need less sleep (2 hours a day, let's say). This also lends to a culture of outdoor cooking (supergirls enjoy four meals a day).

These two element are quite in contrast with each other. On one hand we have a culture that promotes outdoor association, by building and maintaining several "points of light" (so to speak) around which cooking and meeting are typical - if not encouraged. On the ohter there's no real culture of hospitality and sharing.
As a result cooking in the open is just a form of boasting (like a mcho bodybuilder showing off his biceps at a bar) or you need to revise your ideas.

Gliblord wrote: Micromusic

Because of super hearing, it can be quite annoying to listen to music other girls are playing within earshot, so many girls play their own music with barely perceptible, inaudible-to-nonsuper-ears clicks of their fingernails. It's the equivalent of softly whispering. Speaking of fingernails, many will deliberately let some of their nails grow out because they're so hard to break (supergirl hair doesn't have the same quality and can be shorn as easily as nonsuper hair).

I know that real world physics and biology doesn't count all that much, but hairs and nails share the same composition in humans.

Gliblord wrote: A developmental stage beyond "adult"

At the age of 30, a woman's aging decelerates, but why stop there? Let's say they consider this a stage past "adult," like a butterfly's might have considered its life as a caterpillar its childhood and its time as a cocoon its time as an adult before ascending to its final glorious form. This is partially inspired by this image of cool energy wings:

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

So I thought it'd be cool if girls got their own energy wings. I don't think they'll fly with them though, they'd just be like a peacock's tail, for show.

This is up to you, but I don't think that this is such a good idea. Having such a obvious modification from a baseline human, means that it will be impossible for these ladies to move unseen, which is really a downer especially for a culture still based on hunting.

Gliblord wrote: Strength level questions

I wonder if it's possible to calculate how strong one would need to be to be able to crack rock or punch through steel, on every supergirl fan's favorite scale of "number of times stronger than the average guy" (e.g., 10x, 100x, 500x, etc.) Does something like a superhero strength scale already exist?

An exact numeric scale isn't going to work in a culture that is basicly still in its infancy. I think that the best guess will be testing each woman strength against a certain number of objects of roughly known strength (wood, stone, iron etc.)
Last edit: 27 Dec 2012 09:02 by Woodclaw.

More
27 Dec 2012 12:29 #29859 by Esteban

Anon wrote: These two element are quite in contrast with each other. On one hand we have a culture that promotes outdoor association, by building and maintaining several "points of light" (so to speak) around which cooking and meeting are typical - if not encouraged. On the ohter there's no real culture of hospitality and sharing.
As a result cooking in the open is just a form of boasting (like a mcho bodybuilder showing off his biceps at a bar) or you need to revise your ideas.

That's not necessarily true, since it could be some kind of unwritten law that forbids people "lower on the totem pole" to take part in bonfire gatherings of the higher ranks. Only a select group of people could be allowed to dine or chit-chat with the "High Empress", because they are counselors, servants or used for entertainment. Within one rank level they can have a respectful way of getting along, like some kind of gentlemen's club.

More
27 Dec 2012 16:06 - 27 Dec 2012 16:06 #29860 by Gliblord

Anon wrote: An exact numeric scale isn't going to work in a culture that is basicly still in its infancy. I think that the best guess will be testing each woman strength against a certain number of objects of roughly known strength (wood, stone, iron etc.)

No, I meant a scale that would be useful for us authors of supergirl fiction, as reference
Last edit: 27 Dec 2012 16:06 by Gliblord.

• Gliblord
More
28 Dec 2012 02:54 #29869 by brantley
Replied by brantley on topic Supergirl society
Apart from the supergirl theme, there are works of sf that deal with female dominant societies that might be useful in developing yours: Uresula K. LeGuin's "The Matter of Seggri" (1994), included in her collection The Birthday of the World; and Fumi Yoshingaga’s manga series Ōoku (2005-). In the first, a mutation on a world of the Hainish universe results in a six-to-one female-to-male birth ratio; in the second, a plague in an alternate history medieval Japan wipes out most of the men, and few survive thereafter.

--Brantley

More
28 Dec 2012 20:47 #29883 by Gliblord

brantley wrote: Apart from the supergirl theme, there are works of sf that deal with female dominant societies that might be useful in developing yours: Uresula K. LeGuin's "The Matter of Seggri" (1994), included in her collection The Birthday of the World; and Fumi Yoshingaga’s manga series Ōoku (2005-). In the first, a mutation on a world of the Hainish universe results in a six-to-one female-to-male birth ratio; in the second, a plague in an alternate history medieval Japan wipes out most of the men, and few survive thereafter.

--Brantley

Ohh, sounds interesting. I prefer a world where girls are out and out super though, but I'll definitely check out Ooku, being the manga nut I am.

More ideas!

Voluntary fertility

A girl can control whether or not she wants to be able to get pregnant, as simply as she can blink or breathe. She can't, however, control the sex or overall genetics of the baby. Supergirl lactation is hypernutritious.

Legal microwriting

Those judges who study and interpret law hone their microwriting and microreading, and massive legal tomes can be written on beads of jewelry.

• Gliblord
More
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds