Amount

Firefly Supergirl (a.k.a. You Can't Take the Sky From Her)

06 Apr 2013 17:20 #30974 by shadar
Reseeding Progress Report was created by shadar

Anon wrote: "We have done the impossible and that's makes us mighty." (Mal

Great quote, and appropriate, given it comes from my favorite TV show.

And as the Operative said at one point: "You are a man who has done fine works."

Chiwetel Ejiofor, as the Opertive, was the most perfectly cast actor ever. Between he and Nathan as Mal, it doesn't get any better.

Makes me want to dust off a partially completed story set on board Serenity where Inara turns out to be a lot more than anyone guesses. It starts with her bringing her shuttle back to Serenity -- only to have Kaylee discover that the engine was shot out and fried down on the planet. Inara lets Kaylee in on a secret, and gets her to swear tht she won't tell anyone else on the ship. Subsequently, the crew escapes some hazards that they should not have been able to survive, with only Kaylee knowing that Inara is the one who saved them. She and Inara might share more than a mere friendship, although I'm not sure about that yet.

This is a hard story to write given the richness of Whedon's universe, which is why its on the shelf, but might be worth it if we have more Firefly addicts here?

Shadar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• shadar
  • shadar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
06 Apr 2013 18:42 #30977 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Reseeding Progress Report

shadar wrote:

Anon wrote: "We have done the impossible and that's makes us mighty." (Mal

Great quote, and appropriate, given it comes from my favorite TV show.

And as the Operative said at one point: "You are a man who has done fine works."

Chiwetel Ejiofor, as the Opertive, was the most perfectly cast actor ever. Between he and Nathan as Mal, it doesn't get any better.

Makes me want to dust off a partially completed story set on board Serenity where Inara turns out to be a lot more than anyone guesses. It starts with her bringing her shuttle back to Serenity -- only to have Kaylee discover that the engine was shot out and fried down on the planet. Inara lets Kaylee in on a secret, and gets her to swear tht she won't tell anyone else on the ship. Subsequently, the crew escapes some hazards that they should not have been able to survive, with only Kaylee knowing that Inara is the one who saved them. She and Inara might share more than a mere friendship, although I'm not sure about that yet.

This is a hard story to write given the richness of Whedon's universe, which is why its on the shelf, but might be worth it if we have more Firefly addicts here?

Shadar

Well, you can count me in on the Firefly addicted. I'm not sure how I feel about a Firefly based tale, but I will give a read for sure.

More
06 Apr 2013 19:15 #30979 by pansardum
Replied by pansardum on topic Reseeding Progress Report
I only recently got addicted to Firefly (watched through the series last month), but must admit it was too long since I last watched the movie.

I think a story set on Serenity could be a fun read. But as you say it can be a hard story to write, keeping the characters true to the series. I would think the obvious choice would be to bump up Rivers abilities but it could be a nice change if someone else turned out to be more than meets the eye. Even Kaylee could be fun seeing in a super powered state.
Though I must admit I really like the actress playing Inara, definitely doesn't hurt that she played the queen in V and a 'false god' in Stargate SG-1. Two really powerful women.

A side note: can anyone really keep a secret from River?

More
06 Apr 2013 20:09 #30980 by Woodclaw

pansardum wrote: I only recently got addicted to Firefly (watched through the series last month), but must admit it was too long since I last watched the movie.

I think a story set on Serenity could be a fun read. But as you say it can be a hard story to write, keeping the characters true to the series. I would think the obvious choice would be to bump up Rivers abilities but it could be a nice change if someone else turned out to be more than meets the eye. Even Kaylee could be fun seeing in a super powered state.
Though I must admit I really like the actress playing Inara, definitely doesn't hurt that she played the queen in V and a 'false god' in Stargate SG-1. Two really powerful women.

Given my current tastes regarding stories I would really like to see a superpowered Kaylee.

More
06 Apr 2013 20:17 #30981 by The Highlander
Replied by The Highlander on topic Reseeding Progress Report
A guy called Ratlaf wrote a Serenity female muscle growth story a couple of years ago, where Kaylee ends up becoming immensely large and strong. Unfortunately he disappeared a while ago, I've got a saved copy of the story but it needs to be re-formatted.

More
06 Apr 2013 20:37 #30982 by Woodclaw

The Highlander wrote: A guy called Ratlaf wrote a Serenity female muscle growth story a couple of years ago, where Kaylee ends up becoming immensely large and strong. Unfortunately he disappeared a while ago, I've got a saved copy of the story but it needs to be re-formatted.

Not that I don't appreciate the offer, but what I like about Kaylee is that she looks normal. So, in this case, FMG is not the way to fly.

More
06 Apr 2013 21:01 #30983 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Reseeding Progress Report
Good point... River would know. And making Kaylee super is interesting too. But Inara is more mysterious. I always thought it was interesting that Whedon and I came up with the idea of Companions independently. In both cases, they are whores who are so much more. Velorians in my case, but exquisitely trained with secret skills in Inara's case. What is it about high-class and respectable whores? Should be n oxymoron, but it kind of works for me too.

The thought was to reveal that Companions are in fact influencing forces across known space, and not just with the skills that people pay them for. In reality, they have a far larger mission, and they've been genetically enhanced in ways that no one suspects. Being that they are respectable in the Whedon universe,and have access to people of all social levels and can travel with total freedom and impunity, even into dangerous territory, without arousing suspicion, what if they were pulling the strings behind the scenes?

Inara is one of a handful of Companions who have been extensively "engineered" to be the Operatives of the Companion House.

Serenity and its crew are a great disguise for her true mission and abilities. Serenity and her crew were intended to be sacrificial. Who would miss and old Firefly class ship and its crew of privateers.

The problem is that's Inara has fallen in love with that old ship and its eclectic crew, especially Mal and Kaylee. And that becomes the source of conflict in her life. She now has to secretly protect them while also doing her missions.

Anyway, that's the general idea. But capturing the characters and language properly is really hard. I've read enough Firefly fan-fiction to realize that most authors fail at that. Whedon writes unique dialog, and he encouraged the actors to improvise. Not sure I've got the skills to pull it off, but it would be fun if I could.

Shadar

pansardum wrote: I only recently got addicted to Firefly (watched through the series last month), but must admit it was too long since I last watched the movie.

• shadar
More
06 Apr 2013 21:05 #30984 by Woodclaw

shadar wrote: Good point... River would know. And making Kaylee super is interesting too. But Inara is more mysterious. I always thought it was interesting that Whedon and I came up with the idea of Companions independently. In both cases, they are whores who are so much more. Velorians in my case, but exquisitely trained with secret skills in Inara's case. What is it about high-class and respectable whores? Should be n oxymoron, but it kind of works for me too.

The thought was to reveal that Companions are in fact influencing forces across known space, and not just with the skills that people pay them for. In reality, they have a far larger mission, and they've been genetically enhanced in ways that no one suspects. Being that they are respectable in the Whedon universe,and have access to people of all social levels and can travel with total freedom and impunity, even into dangerous territory, without arousing suspicion, what if they were pulling the strings behind the scenes?

Inara is one of a handful of Companions who have been extensively "engineered" to be the Operatives of the Companion House.

Serenity and its crew are a great disguise for her true mission and abilities. Serenity and her crew were intended to be sacrificial. Who would miss and old Firefly class ship and its crew of privateers.

The problem is that's Inara has fallen in love with that old ship and its eclectic crew, especially Mal and Kaylee. And that becomes the source of conflict in her life. She now has to secretly protect them while also doing her missions.

Anyway, that's the general idea. But capturing the characters and language properly is really hard. I've read enough Firefly fan-fiction to realize that most authors fail at that. Whedon writes unique dialog, and he encouraged the actors to improvise. Not sure I've got the skills to pull it off, but it would be fun if I could.

Shadar

Maybe it's just me, but it sounds a lot like the Bene Gesserit from Dune.

More
06 Apr 2013 22:12 #30987 by pansardum

Anon wrote: Not that I don't appreciate the offer, but what I like about Kaylee is that she looks normal. So, in this case, FMG is not the way to fly.

Sure she looks like the everyday girl, maybe even a bit tom-boyish. But what I would find interesting is how her shyness, naivety and careful nature would evolve if she came in contact with great powers.

(I don't really remember what drives that old vessel, but I bet a shock from some gadget could have surprising effects...)

More
06 Apr 2013 22:34 #30989 by Skye
Replied by Skye on topic Reseeding Progress Report

(I don't really remember what drives that old vessel, but I bet a shock from some gadget could have surprising effects...)

I've never seen or read anything about it's way of generating power, put that's propably fusion.
The drive was supposed to work by utilising some hand-wavy effect that allowed mankind to manipulate gravity, explaining fast stardrives and artificial gravity in one neat gimmick.

More
06 Apr 2013 22:57 #30990 by shadar
Sounds like most of the interest is to see Kaylee get super.

Is that the consensus, or does anyone see merit in Inara and the Companions as being part of some "power behind the power" thing?

Shadar

pansardum wrote:

Anon wrote: Not that I don't appreciate the offer, but what I like about Kaylee is that she looks normal. So, in this case, FMG is not the way to fly.

Sure she looks like the everyday girl, maybe even a bit tom-boyish. But what I would find interesting is how her shyness, naivety and careful nature would evolve if she came in contact with great powers.

• shadar
More
07 Apr 2013 01:55 #30993 by pansardum

shadar wrote: Sounds like most of the interest is to see Kaylee get super.

Is that the consensus, or does anyone see merit in Inara and the Companions as being part of some "power behind the power" thing?

Shadar

Just playing around with ideas. I would like nearly any scenario in that setting.

Not too sure about keeping her powers as a secret though, It could remove a lot of the fun interactions with the crew. Mal, because the obvious tension in the series and the powerchange in their relationship. Kaylee's curiosity. Jayne's love for anything resembling a female.
And Wash must have a thing for powerful women...

More
07 Apr 2013 21:49 #31017 by Woodclaw

pansardum wrote:

Shadar

Just playing around with ideas. I would like nearly any scenario in that setting.

Not too sure about keeping her powers as a secret though, It could remove a lot of the fun interactions with the crew. Mal, because the obvious tension in the series and the powerchange in their relationship. Kaylee's curiosity. Jayne's love for anything resembling a female.

Same here.

Also on a semi-related note, I noticed that a lot of people tend to forget about Zoe when talking about the ladies of Serenity.

More
07 Apr 2013 22:08 #31018 by shadar
I would never forget about Zoe... but she's already powerful in her own way. She can outshoot and outfight most men. She'd handle being super without issue -- she'd take it in stride given she's already a warrior. But the bad guys already respect her and they'd see her coming and avoid her.

(Although Walsh might find this an interesting change in his wife.)

But Inara and Kaylee are in roles that are not normally viewed as being strong or warrior-like. Which is why they might be more fun to feature. Inara is the ultimate sleeper, given she works as a high-class whore. She could get up close to a bad guy without him suspecting anything. In fact, they'd go out of their way to buy her time and open their doors to her. A Companion is welcome everywhere, including places where Serenity and the rest of the crew could never go.

The bad guys aren't going to let Zoe get too close, and Kaylee is just a grease monkey, so she's hardly able to penetrate the protected walls of privilege and high society (where many of the bad guys hide).

Who would suspect a Companion of being an Operative? And if a few of her less desirable clients suffered fatal heart attacks while in the throws of passion, well, that's what they get for engaging a Companion. Companions have a rarified reputation for dazzling their clients, and every man has a weakness. I'm sure she would know how to push a man past his limits until something gave way.

As I see it, once the bad guys know about someone with enhanced abilities, they are going to stay far, far away. Inara's ability to slip under their defenses and reach the cloistered bedrooms of the rich and famous would serve her well, given those are the folks that Serenity and her crew would love to steal from and/or stop in their tracks before they can hurt anyone else.

Anyway, that's my vision, for what its worth.

Shadar

Anon wrote:

pansardum wrote:

Shadar

Same here.

Also on a semi-related note, I noticed that a lot of people tend to forget about Zoe when talking about the ladies of Serenity.

• shadar
More
07 Apr 2013 22:21 #31019 by Woodclaw

shadar wrote: I would never forget about Zoe... but she's already powerful in her own way. She can outshoot and outfight most men. She'd handle being super without issue -- she'd take it in stride given she's already a warrior. But the bad guys already respect her and they'd see her coming and avoid her.

But Inara and Kaylee are in roles that are not normally viewed as being strong or warrior-like. Which is why they might be more fun to feature. Inara is the ultimate sleeper, given she works as a high-class whore. She could get up close to a bad guy without him suspecting anything. In fact, they'd go out of their way to buy her time and open their doors to her. A Companion is welcome everywhere, including places where Serenity and the rest of the crew could never go.

The bad guys aren't going to let Zoe get too close, and Kaylee is just a grease monkey, so she's hardly able to penetrate the protected walls of privilege and high society (where many of the bad guys hide).

Who would suspect a Companion of being an Operative? And if a few of her less desirable clients suffered fatal heart attacks while in the throws of passion, well, that's what they get for engaging a Companion. Companions have a rarified reputation for dazzling their clients, and every man has a weakness. I'm sure she would know how to push a man past his limits until something gave way.

As I see it, once the bad guys know about someone with enhanced abilities, they are going to stay far, far away. Inara's ability to slip under their defenses and reach the cloistered bedrooms of the rich and famous would serve her well, given those are the folks that Serenity and her crew would love to steal from and/or stop in their tracks before they can hurt anyone else.

Shadar

All very good point, but allow me to make a slight counter-argument. While a companion makes an ideal operative under that profile, the idea is hardly new. History and Literature are filled with example of courtesans playing double agents (Milady in the Three Musketers is probably one of the most famous examples). Also, the Companions Guild lives and exist first and foremost on the fame for skill and discretion.
While having an operative (or more) in their ranks makes sense, they should be carefully monitored, which makes a wandering companion like Inara something of a problem for the organization itself.
On the other hand this makes also a really good twist for the story.

More
07 Apr 2013 22:35 #31021 by shadar

Anon wrote:

shadar wrote: I would never forget about Zoe... but she's already powerful in her own way. She can outshoot and outfight most men. She'd handle being super without issue -- she'd take it in stride given she's already a warrior. But the bad guys already respect her and they'd see her coming and avoid her.

Shadar

All very good point, but allow me to make a slight counter-argument. While a companion makes an ideal operative under that profile, the idea is hardly new. History and Literature are filled with example of courtesans playing double agents (Milady in the Three Musketers is probably one of the most famous examples). Also, the Companions Guild lives and exist first and foremost on the fame for skill and discretion.
While having an operative (or more) in their ranks makes sense, they should be carefully monitored, which makes a wandering companion like Inara something of a problem for the organization itself.
On the other hand this makes also a really good twist for the story.

Good points, Anon. The Guild could not be compromised by her, so she'd have to either stay under the radar or she'd be considered a rogue and she would lose her ability to infiltrate without suspicion. Once her true role is revealed, the Guild would be devastated.

That would add another layer of complexity, given I assume Inara doesn't want to destroy the Guild.

As I see it, Mal learns fairly early about her "special" talents (and River knew right away), and Kaylee is on board, but Zoe, Walsh, Jayne, Simon and Book don't know for a while, although Simon suspects something unusual is going on. Each of them has a story regarding how they found out about her and how they reacted. At some point, the entire crew is in on the secret. Which they keep, given Inara is a HUGE asset to the ship. She has saved their butts more than most of them know.

Mal's already difficult relationship with Inara is going to get more complicated. Its one thing that she's a whore, but a superpowered one?

I think Kaylee will take it in stride the best, as she'll simply see it as totally cool and a further reason to look up to Inara, who is already gorgeous and sophisticated in her eyes. Worldly and educated and all that. She'll be the first one to enlist Inara in helping her with a ship's mechanical problem that she can't solve on her own (high radiation or whatever). As much as Kaylee loves guys, I think she'll be a little in love with Inara too. One thing about Kaylee... she doesn't have any hangups. She's a pure soul, being that she's both innocent and tough at the same time.

Shadar

• shadar
More
08 Apr 2013 09:33 #31032 by Woodclaw

shadar wrote: Good points, Anon. The Guild could not be compromised by her, so she'd have to either stay under the radar or she'd be considered a rogue and she would lose her ability to infiltrate without suspicion. Once her true role is revealed, the Guild would be devastated.

That would add another layer of complexity, given I assume Inara doesn't want to destroy the Guild.

Possible, but not very likely. In my eyes, Inara doesn't seem to have any problem with the Guild, although that could easily change sooner or later. This might also call for a reappearence from her friend Nandi.
On an interesting secondary note, one of the never developed storylines that Whedon planned was to have Inara discovering to suffer from a terminal illness, maybe that can be worked into your story as a consequence of her "enhancment".

shadar wrote: As I see it, Mal learns fairly early about her "special" talents (and River knew right away), and Kaylee is on board, but Zoe, Walsh, Jayne, Simon and Book don't know for a while, although Simon suspects something unusual is going on. Each of them has a story regarding how they found out about her and how they reacted. At some point, the entire crew is in on the secret. Which they keep, given Inara is a HUGE asset to the ship. She has saved their butts more than most of them know.

Mal's already difficult relationship with Inara is going to get more complicated. Its one thing that she's a whore, but a superpowered one?

I wouldn't bet about Book being in the dark about this. He had after all, a rather exotic past. Maybe he doesn't know about Inara, but I think he might know more than a thing a two about what is really going on.

shadar wrote: I think Kaylee will take it in stride the best, as she'll simply see it as totally cool and a further reason to look up to Inara, who is already gorgeous and sophisticated in her eyes. Worldly and educated and all that. She'll be the first one to enlist Inara in helping her with a ship's mechanical problem that she can't solve on her own (high radiation or whatever). As much as Kaylee loves guys, I think she'll be a little in love with Inara too. One thing about Kaylee... she doesn't have any hangups. She's a pure soul, being that she's both innocent and tough at the same time.

All very true.

More
01 May 2013 08:47 #31325 by Woodclaw
Following Fats's example I've created a new topic to host the discussion about a possible Firefly themed story.

Please keep this story flying.

More
01 May 2013 09:18 #31326 by shadar
I think I'll try writing a single scene to explore the Firefly Supergirl concept. Just to see if it flies, so to speak.

In my thinking, this would be the original Firefly characters, including the mysterious Book and the Operative, etc. Inara is still on Serenity and things are smoldering but unresolved between she and Mal. The setting would be the end of the aborted TV series and before the Serenity movie closed off a number of story lines and characters. Reevers are still a mystery, etc. Wash is still flying the ship. Kaylee is pining for Simon. Zoe feels a tug of loyalties between Wash and Mal. Jayne is still unpredictable and his loyalties are questionable. River is a mystery that is slowly unfolding, although we know she can be a weapon when triggered (I'd bring that idea back from the movie).

Anyone have a scene concept in mind that would tickle your fancy? It would be nice if this scene could become part of a bigger story. Possibly a multi-author story line.

Once we critique and review the experimental scene, we could decide where our continued Firefly universe is going to go. Biggest question is who is the Supergirl going to be. Zoe? River? inara? Kaylee? But only one in my thinking.

As I see it, we can create super bad guys or girls as opponents as needed to keep the tension high, although we already have the bogeymen (Reevers).

Shadar

• shadar
More
02 May 2013 09:37 #31342 by Woodclaw

shadar wrote: I think I'll try writing a single scene to explore the Firefly Supergirl concept. Just to see if it flies, so to speak.

In my thinking, this would be the original Firefly characters, including the mysterious Book and the Operative, etc. Inara is still on Serenity and things are smoldering but unresolved between she and Mal. The setting would be the end of the aborted TV series and before the Serenity movie closed off a number of story lines and characters. Reevers are still a mystery, etc. Wash is still flying the ship. Kaylee is pining for Simon. Zoe feels a tug of loyalties between Wash and Mal. Jayne is still unpredictable and his loyalties are questionable. River is a mystery that is slowly unfolding, although we know she can be a weapon when triggered (I'd bring that idea back from the movie).

I would love to see this. While I like the movie, there was too much left unexplained and some of the detail wer necessarily sketchy (due to the need to cram all the necessary material ina 2-hour feature).

shadar wrote: Anyone have a scene concept in mind that would tickle your fancy? It would be nice if this scene could become part of a bigger story. Possibly a multi-author story line.

Once we critique and review the experimental scene, we could decide where our continued Firefly universe is going to go. Biggest question is who is the Supergirl going to be. Zoe? River? inara? Kaylee? But only one in my thinking.

I would rule out River, on the base that she's already superhuman in her own way. Zoe could be interesting, but I don't know how much that will make for an interesting story. Inara and Kaylee probably offer the most interesting dynamics.

More
03 May 2013 20:14 - 03 May 2013 21:56 #31349 by brantley
Replied by brantley on topic Reseeding Progress Report

shadar wrote: I think I'll try writing a single scene to explore the Firefly Supergirl concept. Just to see if it flies, so to speak.

Anyone have a scene concept in mind that would tickle your fancy? It would be nice if this scene could become part of a bigger story. Possibly a multi-author story line.

As I see it, we can create super bad guys or girls as opponents as needed to keep the tension high, although we already have the bogeymen (Reevers).

Shadar

I don't have any particular scene to suggest, but since you'll be writing Firefly fan fiction, there are other things you can do while you're at it. Like rationalize the series background. Joss Whedon wanted to create a space western, so the various planets are the equivalent of western towns – the outlying ones, anyway, as opposed to the central worlds of the Alliance. But what does "outlying" mean, and what are "border moons" supposed to be? There are apparently dozens of worlds, all within the Goldilocks zone of habitability. You need a pretty bright star, and a zone large enough to accommodate several orbits, and you could have planets at Trojan points, three for each orbit. Maybe different sets of orbits in different planes. I'm reminded of one of Jack Vance's creations in his Demon Princes series:

<<The Rigel Concourse: a system of 26 planets orbiting Rigel, which were moved into the system in antiquity by a vanished alien race. Their pompous discoverer named them for figures of Victorian literature (such as Bulwer-Lytton and Rudyard Kipling); but the clerk who processed his transmission, Roger Pilgham, replaced the names with a fanciful series of his own devising: Alphanor, Barleycorn, Chrysanthe, Diogenes, Elfland, Fiame, Goshen, Hardacres, Image, Jezebel, Krokinole, Lyonesse, Madagascar, Nowhere, Olliphane, Pilgham (after himself), Quinine, Raratonga, Somewhere, Tantamount, Unicorn, Valisande, Walpurgis, Xion, Ys and Zacaranda. Pilgham also gave a particularly ugly moon the name "Sir Julian" in honor to the discoverer of the entire system.>>

Whedon refers to the worlds of his system as terraformed, but with people just kind of dumped there as in the case of Seeded worlds in the Aurora Universe (and Catherine Asaro's Skolian Empire series; this is an idea that goes back aways in sf).

I'm only starting to catch up with FIREFLY myself; I saw only a few episodes back in 2002 and was totally confused because they were shown out of order. Now I have a DVD of the complete series; watched the original opening episode, and it's more comprehensible although I gather some details about the war are reserved for the third episode. Was surprised (His name meant nothing to me 11 years ago) to see Nathan Fallion as Mal -- he's now co-star of CASTLE, a show I like a lot. Ron Glass as Book looked familiar, but I couldn't have recognized him from his BARNEY MILLER days. Anyway, I like the characters because they're NOT like the ones on STAR TREK or STAR WARS or BABYLON 5 or even FARSCAPE. It was refreshing to see Mal take out that Alliance agent, and then just dump his body as trash; on the other hand, I couldn't quite figure out why Book had vowed to defend the bastard. Anyway, it's great casting and, more important, great ENSEMBLE casting, and therefore great ensemble role playing. Keep that in mind, whatever you do in making one of the characters a superheroine.

--Brantley Thompson Elkins
Last edit: 03 May 2013 21:56 by brantley.

More
03 May 2013 20:30 #31350 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Reseeding Progress Report
Taking brantley's point about the ensemble nature of the show, which is well made...

What about powers that are shared, or alternate, between the female members of the crew?

---

Kaylee woke, floating three inches above the surface of her bunk.

"Guess it's my turn to be super," she said to herself. "No power in the 'verse can stop me. For the next twenty-four hours, leastways."

- GeekSeven

More
03 May 2013 21:54 #31351 by shadar
Brantley makes a bunch of good points... the trick is not to disrupt a carefully crafted ensemble.

It occurred to me yesterday that the obvious choice for "superdom" is Saffron (who Brantley probably hasn't encountered yet... I think she appears about 5 or 6 episodes in). She's Companion-trained like Inara, but she's a rogue and she can kick ass. What if Inara was off at the Training House and Saffron comes back onto Serenity, except that she's been enhanced in some ways? She had a devastating effect on the crew the first time, imagine if she came back super, starting by saving their butts when they were in a jam.

But.. if she has reasons to collaborate with the crew, then she tries to take over. She's physically capable of doing so, but she's got a determined crew to deal with.
To make it interesting, she's using Serenity and the crew for her own purposes, all of which are illegal, but which might also greatly profit the crew. But Mal won't be in charge to the degree that he needs to be, so its obviously not going to work for long. I can see Jayne collaborating with Saffron to get rid of Mal and take over.

Of course, nobody would trust Saffron, including Jayne, and she's already proven that her Companion training will pretty much let her seduce anyone, and now she's something more.

Upon discovering that an enhanced Saffron has commandeered "her crew", I'm betting Inara figures out how Saffron became what she is, and undergoes the same procedure. She then returns to deal with Saffron. That could get very intense.

Written this way, the crew dynamics are largely preserved, with the ending of the first "book" being when Saffron is driven off the ship and a very enhanced Inara is now back in the saddle. But... Saffron would still be out there and she'd have Serenity in her sights. Could provide for a good cliffhanger ending book 1 and opening book 2. Not to mention the fact that they now have to deal with an enhanced Inara. That would be welcome at first, but Mal would still have his issues dealing with someone that powerful on his ship. Even if he does have feelings for her.

Could get complicated. Which is the point.

Also, Saffron was played by a young Christina Hendricks, who was seriously hot in the Firefly episodes, and amazingly endowed. I think she was way hotter in Firefly that she has ever been on Madmen.

Here's a pict of Saffron (Hendricks) from the Firefly period (2002):

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Shadar

• shadar
More
03 May 2013 22:11 - 03 May 2013 22:16 #31352 by brantley
Replied by brantley on topic Reseeding Progress Report
I copied my post to AURG, and hope you'll do the same with this and other replies. Something else that occurs to me is that you might get more into the Chinese side of the Alliance than the series may have. Whedon wanted to make a point of the Chinese and the Americans having settled the system (from generation ships; no FTL here!), because they were the only space powers, and the Wikipedia entry on the show mentions that he wanted people to notice that Mal used chopsticks. I had noticed that there were Chinese words spoken here and there, and I know you've spent part of your life in the Pacific Rim. Of course, this sort of thing is easier said than done; Google Translate can render English into Chinese, but only in Chinese characters. But when I wanted an Indian word for "spacecraft" in EMPRESS OF THE DAWN, I got it from Google in Indian script but then found a site that transliterated the word into phonetic Roman script* (It's easier with Greek or Russian, because their alphabets are more familiar.)

Saffron certainly LOOKS the part you have in mind for her!

--Brantley

* I ended up using it because I could tell it came from Sanskrit-Hindi root words, rather than being a translation from any modern Western language, given that my story is set more than a thousand years ago. But that won't be an issue here.
Last edit: 03 May 2013 22:16 by brantley.

More
03 May 2013 22:35 #31353 by shadar
Brantley,
You need to watch through the various episodes to get a full perspective on the Chinese used. Whedon mostly uses Chinese for cursing (which doesn't always work well with translation applets), but its clear that Western and Chinese cultures have collided and produced a type of hybrid culture. After living for a decade in Asia, I can totally see this happening.

I won't say more about Saffron here until Brantley has seen all the episodes she appears in. I'd like him to experience the same surprise we all had when Saffron didn't turn out to be exactly what she first appeared to be.

Shadar

brantley wrote: I copied my post to AURG, and hope you'll do the same with this and other replies. Something else that occurs to me is that you might get more into the Chinese side of the Alliance than the series may have. Whedon wanted to make a point of the Chinese and the Americans having settled the system (from generation ships; no FTL here!), because they were the only space powers, and the Wikipedia entry on the show mentions that he wanted people to notice that Mal used chopsticks. I had noticed that there were Chinese words spoken here and there, and I know you've spent part of your life in the Pacific Rim. Of course, this sort of thing is easier said than done; Google Translate can render English into Chinese, but only in Chinese characters. But when I wanted an Indian word for "spacecraft" in EMPRESS OF THE DAWN, I got it from Google in Indian script but then found a site that transliterated the word into phonetic Roman script* (It's easier with Greek or Russian, because their alphabets are more familiar.)

Saffron certainly LOOKS the part you have in mind for her!

--Brantley

* I ended up using it because I could tell it came from Sanskrit-Hindi root words, rather than being a translation from any modern Western language, given that my story is set more than a thousand years ago. But that won't be an issue here.

• shadar
More
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds