Amount

Best way to update a story

21 Oct 2013 03:11 #33670 by happiest_in_shadows
Best way to update a story was created by happiest_in_shadows
I've been wondering. At times I'll write a little 12 page story and once in a while I'd like to return and continue it. Fragile Bindings being one example. If I decided I wanted to continue Fragile bindings should I simply edit the already existing file?

Furthermore. How should I go about posting one of my stories that is several hundred pages long?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• happiest_in_shadows
  • happiest_in_shadows's Avatar Topic Author
More
21 Oct 2013 06:12 #33675 by SHTL
Replied by SHTL on topic Best way to update a story
Wellcome back here !
I let the moderators the reply about what yu ask, i only hope yu will add more and more pages as in the past (thinking about Going super and Modifications....;)

More
21 Oct 2013 07:31 #33676 by njae
Replied by njae on topic Best way to update a story

happiest_in_shadows wrote: I've been wondering. At times I'll write a little 12 page story and once in a while I'd like to return and continue it. Fragile Bindings being one example. If I decided I wanted to continue Fragile bindings should I simply edit the already existing file?

Furthermore. How should I go about posting one of my stories that is several hundred pages long?

As an author I'd say that depends on what kind of update you make. If you just continue from where you left off, another installment would be the way to go as it would show up in the ticker as well. If you "only" rewise your story, editing would be the way to go. As for longer stories I suggest posting in smaller installments as there will usually be a series library for the whole story once you have four installments. At least that's how we intended it when I was part of the staff and I'd say I was pretty sure that this would still be the way to go. On the other hand, the rule of no new stories to be published during a workshop poll gets more exceptions than cases where it comes to play...

More
21 Oct 2013 11:35 #33677 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Best way to update a story

njae wrote:

happiest_in_shadows wrote: I've been wondering. At times I'll write a little 12 page story and once in a while I'd like to return and continue it. Fragile Bindings being one example. If I decided I wanted to continue Fragile bindings should I simply edit the already existing file?

As an author I'd say that depends on what kind of update you make. If you just continue from where you left off, another installment would be the way to go as it would show up in the ticker as well. If you "only" rewise your story, editing would be the way to go. As for longer stories I suggest posting in smaller installments as there will usually be a series library for the whole story once you have four installments. At least that's how we intended it when I was part of the staff and I'd say I was pretty sure that this would still be the way to go. On the other hand, the rule of no new stories to be published during a workshop poll gets more exceptions than cases where it comes to play...

Njae summed up what is also my way of handling thing: no new stories during a workshop poll.

As for the update it strictly depends on what kind of editing do you want to do, fixing some bits shouldn't require a new story, unless there's a massive modification incoming. Otherwise a continuation is more appreciated, since it makes easier for the readers to notice the update.

About the extra long story. I don't know right now what the word limit is. So far the logest story we have ever published is 55000 words long (one of your BTW, Happiest). I'll see if I can find out an eventual maximum length limit. Although, I would much prefer to have it divided into multiple installments, since I think it make it easier to read (just a personal preference).

More
21 Oct 2013 15:34 - 21 Oct 2013 15:35 #33684 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Best way to update a story
first of all i would like to welcome you back happiest_in_shadows, i've enjoyed you stuff in the past, and i'm looking forward to your stuff in the future.

On the matter of adding new stuff to an existing story i feel that the best way to do it is to add a new file to the site, if the file is very large then the best way would be to break it down to say 5 pages per file. that way it would show up on the Front page of the site.

Again welcome back.

Fats

p.s the rule on no new stories during a workshop has been selectively inforced.
Last edit: 21 Oct 2013 15:35 by fats.

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
21 Oct 2013 17:12 #33685 by happiest_in_shadows
Replied by happiest_in_shadows on topic Best way to update a story
Thanks for the information. I'm a bit unsure as how to create another installment but I'll tinker and see if I can figure it out. Typically I like to update a story in 12 page chunks. For example fragile bindings. I have 3 pages I haven't posted well anywhere yet. Should I ever add 9 more pages to it then it'll be ready for an update.

• happiest_in_shadows
  • happiest_in_shadows's Avatar Topic Author
More
21 Oct 2013 17:16 #33686 by Camille Jones
Replied by Camille Jones on topic Best way to update a story

fats wrote: first of all i would like to welcome you back happiest_in_shadows, i've enjoyed you stuff in the past, and i'm looking forward to your stuff in the future.

On the matter of adding new stuff to an existing story i feel that the best way to do it is to add a new file to the site, if the file is very large then the best way would be to break it down to say 5 pages per file. that way it would show up on the Front page of the site.

Again welcome back.

Fats

p.s the rule on no new stories during a workshop has been selectively enforced.

*Enforced. :P

You'd think that superspeed would make me more punctual, huh?

More
21 Oct 2013 17:26 #33688 by njae

fats wrote: p.s the rule on no new stories during a workshop has been selectively inforced.

Wow, as someone who was affected by this rule in the past I feel offended.

More
22 Oct 2013 05:06 #33697 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic Best way to update a story
Considering that this site at times goes several weeks to a month without a story - I can not understand why an author would want to put a story out during a WS.

More
22 Oct 2013 23:21 #33713 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Best way to update a story

d_k_c wrote: Considering that this site at times goes several weeks to a month without a story - I can not understand why an author would want to put a story out during a WS.

Sometimes there are seasonal or other time constrained considerations.

An author might want to put out a Halloween or Christmas or St. Patrick's Day themed story as close to the event as possible, regardless of whatever else may be going on.

- GeekSeven

More
23 Oct 2013 09:37 #33724 by njae

d_k_c wrote: Considering that this site at times goes several weeks to a month without a story - I can not understand why an author would want to put a story out during a WS.

In my case it was simple: I was rather new and had not enough time to participate, but got another story done a few weeks later. I submitted a story in ~ week 3 of a 4 week vote and was told to wait till it was over. And since I understood the reasoning of promoting the workshop back then, I felt rather offended when the very same reasoning was totally forgotten whenever a seasoned author decided to come back to the site just when a workshop was on.

More
23 Oct 2013 19:02 #33732 by d_k_c
Its one thing if submitting a story during a WS is considered taboo, but to be singled out and told your stories cant be submitted while the WS is on - yeah Njae, that'd probably irritate me too.

Personally I think for 2 weeks during a WS, there should be a story freeze. But either way, there should be more clarity on this issue.

More
24 Oct 2013 01:59 #33751 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Best way to update a story

njae wrote:

In my case it was simple: I was rather new and had not enough time to participate, but got another story done a few weeks later. I submitted a story in ~ week 3 of a 4 week vote and was told to wait till it was over. And since I understood the reasoning of promoting the workshop back then, I felt rather offended when the very same reasoning was totally forgotten whenever a seasoned author decided to come back to the site just when a workshop was on.

It is understandable that you were offended. It's not cool when rules are unclear and applied in an unequal fashion.

- GeekSeven

More
24 Oct 2013 08:11 #33762 by Woodclaw

geekseven wrote:

njae wrote:

It is understandable that you were offended. It's not cool when rules are unclear and applied in an unequal fashion.

This has been a rather constant problem over the last workshops. Unfortunatly we never really defined a written rule for this situation and, as a result, things went south. Matter of fact I think that the rule was applied in full only once or twice.
Personally I think that the rule should be applied, but so far it rarely happened. The one time it ticked me off worst was when Dru made his return. I like Dru and I'm very happy he's around again, but when he posted the first chapter of An Arion Ascend, it went online immediately. I can understand doing this because of the occasion, but there were already the first 2 chapters of Aki_zz debute story - Viona - in the pipe, why that didn't go online sooner?

I don't want to make sterile discussion here, but I think that we really need to establish a reasonable timeframe for this "embargo" and made it official through the forum.

More
24 Oct 2013 09:55 #33766 by fats
OK, i want to make this point, the rule on the prohibition of publishing stories during a workshop was one that I put in place, it has been selectivity used in the past. After some discussions with people I have decided to remove the rule as it has been a cause of contention for some time.

I hope this has cleared the matter up.

Fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
24 Oct 2013 11:15 #33767 by njae

fats wrote: OK, i want to make this point, the rule on the prohibition of publishing stories during a workshop was one that I put in place, it has been selectivity used in the past. After some discussions with people I have decided to remove the rule as it has been a cause of contention for some time.

Fats

Actually I think the better course of action would have been to keep the rule, but enforce it correctly. The instance Anon described was a very good example as to why the rule was in place. As librarians we had enforced the rule with aki_zz only to be overruled when Dru (who wasn't at fault) submitted his story. There was a workshop with several stories and of course the authors hoping for the feedback by the readers. I remember the comment ticker filled solely with comments on Dru's story, and the thread on that matter outshining the feedback thread for the workshop. In my eyes the workshop suffered from that and the correct enforcement of this rule would have prevented that.

More
24 Oct 2013 11:32 #33768 by fats

njae wrote:

fats wrote: OK, i want to make this point, the rule on the prohibition of publishing stories during a workshop was one that I put in place, it has been selectivity used in the past. After some discussions with people I have decided to remove the rule as it has been a cause of contention for some time.

Fats

Actually I think the better course of action would have been to keep the rule, but enforce it correctly. The instance Anon described was a very good example as to why the rule was in place. As librarians we had enforced the rule with aki_zz only to be overruled when Dru (who wasn't at fault) submitted his story. There was a workshop with several stories and of course the authors hoping for the feedback by the readers. I remember the comment ticker filled solely with comments on Dru's story, and the thread on that matter outshining the feedback thread for the workshop. In my eyes the workshop suffered from that and the correct enforcement of this rule would have prevented that.

I should have pointed out in my previous post, the discussion over the rule is closed.

fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
24 Oct 2013 20:50 #33779 by d_k_c
Cool! Despotism over Democracy any time of the week I say. FATS, you've got my vote....I mean ummmm...You have my awkward and uncomfortable silence. On a side note, I'm pretty sure a couple of Jews live next door to me, I'll keep you updated :evil:

More
24 Oct 2013 21:23 - 24 Oct 2013 21:25 #33780 by Skye
Replied by Skye on topic Best way to update a story
Uhm, in case you haven't noticed, Message Boards / Forums aren't Democracies. Someone is paying for them and that someone is responsible for what happens on them. Let's say I somehow get a rip of the current Superman movie on the sites webspace and make it available to you.
At first, I'm the one in trouble. But as soon as the owner is notified, he's fair game as well.

I'd prefer the rule to stay, but honestly, if it's that important to you, go ahead, create your own SWM.
Last edit: 24 Oct 2013 21:25 by Skye.

More
24 Oct 2013 21:28 #33781 by d_k_c
So....What your saying is....is that you have a Rip of the recent Superman movie, and you'd like to give it to me? Cool, how do we get this done?

More
24 Oct 2013 22:35 - 24 Oct 2013 22:40 #33782 by Woodclaw

d_k_c wrote: Cool! Despotism over Democracy any time of the week I say. FATS, you've got my vote....I mean ummmm...You have my awkward and uncomfortable silence. On a side note, I'm pretty sure a couple of Jews live next door to me, I'll keep you updated :evil:

Okay, I think this is a bit unfair. I don't like this decision any more than you do, but I don't think it's fair toward Fats. While he's the site admin, he's not the one who put the money into this, nor he's the sole responsible for every decision around here, although it often seem so.

Anyway, I think that as attempt to sarcasm this one went a little overboard to the wrong side.

Skye wrote: Uhm, in case you haven't noticed, Message Boards / Forums aren't Democracies. Someone is paying for them and that someone is responsible for what happens on them. Let's say I somehow get a rip of the current Superman movie on the sites webspace and make it available to you.
At first, I'm the one in trouble. But as soon as the owner is notified, he's fair game as well.

While Skye is right, in the sense that whoever put the money or the effort into making a forum work certainly has rights, I also think that these people should listen to the "vox populi". A forum is by definition a public place so, if the guests are expected to show a minimum of politeness toward each other, the host is expected to keep an eye out for the opinion expressed and act accordingly up to a point.
Last edit: 24 Oct 2013 22:40 by Woodclaw.

More
24 Oct 2013 23:05 #33783 by d_k_c
I’m genuinely impartial to the rule, it doesn’t matter much to me and it’s never affected me. But the topic has been raised, and a couple of people….Who can’t change things anyways, were discussing the matter. It’s not that big of a deal. Clearly this rule only applies to Njae anyways. ;)

And I assume Fats can take a little sarcasm...It was clearly meant to be a joke. I of course love the time and work he's done with this site.....But nothings more fun than poking a bear....Especially when you're a continent away :P

More
25 Oct 2013 00:49 #33787 by fats
When I first read your post DKC I was shocked and very angry, then I read it again, and I was less angry but still shocked, I cant believe that I'm getting I'm getting aggravation on the decision to remove a rule, I thought people would be happy that there was one rule less.

As I said previously the rule was not implemented in a consistent manner so it was never used in the way it should have been, and I subscribe to the idea of a bad law is a useless law so I've taken that approach to this matter.

Skye, thank you for your balanced post over the matter, you are correct in an internet forum there has to be a person or people who have to take decisions that sometimes are not in keeping with what the general membership feel should happen, but they take it to keep it functioning.

On the matter of the rule in question, it has gone, so can we move on from this as we have hijacked a thread from a longstanding member who has only just returned to the fold, and I would not want for him to be scared away from here.

Fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
25 Oct 2013 06:00 #33794 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Best way to update a story
Ya know, there is a lot to be said for a benevolent dictatorship. If FATS has EVER done anything that was not in his opinion for the best interest of this site, I would like to know
what it was. Things are going great now, but not so long ago, the site was attacked and the change over to the new software created a disaster for the library which is one of the main things that makes this site so great. To take a page from Winston Churchill's book, never have so many owed so much to so few, and you can place Fats at the top of that list with the librarians close behind.

It would certainly be nice if everyone who used this site did so with the idea of making it the best site of its type on the web, but various spammers and others with their own selfish agendas try to take advantage of it and it is admin's job to keep them out as well as to police the site as need be. I think we can all recall times where threads got a little out of hand and Fats locked them down to preserve the peace, not to stifle free speech.

How this thread got to this point is beyond me but like we say sometimes,things happen. Admin has done most everything he can to promote creativity and encourage participation in workshops to increase content on the site. The rule about no stories around workshop posting time was meant to showcase and spotlight the work of those who participated in the workshop, not to limit the postings of those who did not. So even if the rule has been lifted, I think I for one will try to respect it, but I would hate to see Halloween or XMAS stories delayed because of it, so maybe careful choice of deadlines in the future could prevent these conflicts.

More
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds