Amount

Possible Future Ideas

20 Apr 2014 04:51 #36229 by Dr. Muttonchops
Possible Future Ideas was created by Dr. Muttonchops
Hi, everybody.

Just wanted to stop by this section to let you guys know about some ideas I've been churning around in my head for upcoming stories.

One such one is another Superwoman story based on the golden age Puzzler story, which would possibly have some elements from the Michael Douglas movie, "The Game". Don't bother asking for yet another story where Superwoman fights a muscle-bound female man-killer. Ain't gonna happen.

A Fleischer-type Wonder Woman series! Yeah, how 'bout it? I want to start off with the origin, of course. But the problem is, my idea is identical to the plot of the animated film.

A similar idea I have is an adaptation of the original, female version of the Hercules myth, Heraclea, told in the style of a historical epic film adaptation, ala Ben-Hur or a film with Ray Harryhausen effects, what with all the Hercules films coming out recently, only this one would be focused on the "Labors of Heraclea" situation. Possibly an Atalanta story as well, except instead of just marathon racing, possibly Greco-Roman wrestling thrown in as a competition she participates in as well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dr. Muttonchops
  • Dr. Muttonchops's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Apr 2014 16:53 #36234 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Possible Future Ideas
All very nice ideas Doc.

Dr. Muttonchops wrote: One such one is another Superwoman story based on the golden age Puzzler story, which would possibly have some elements from the Michael Douglas movie, "The Game". Don't bother asking for yet another story where Superwoman fights a muscle-bound female man-killer. Ain't gonna happen.

I'm not familiar with the story you're taling about, so I'll have to take your word - which is usually pretty good - about the quality of the plot, anyway more Superwoman is always welcome.

Dr. Muttonchops wrote: A Fleischer-type Wonder Woman series! Yeah, how 'bout it? I want to start off with the origin, of course. But the problem is, my idea is identical to the plot of the animated film.

Nice, but tricky. I'm not sure that the animated movie would be a good starting point for a Fleischer styled WW, but I would like you to flesh this out a bit more before starting any writing.

Dr. Muttonchops wrote: A similar idea I have is an adaptation of the original, female version of the Hercules myth, Heraclea, told in the style of a historical epic film adaptation, ala Ben-Hur or a film with Ray Harryhausen effects, what with all the Hercules films coming out recently, only this one would be focused on the "Labors of Heraclea" situation. Possibly an Atalanta story as well, except instead of just marathon racing, possibly Greco-Roman wrestling thrown in as a competition she participates in as well.

This sounds very promising. I'm a huge fan of mythology (thanks to my mom who told me bits and pieces of the Odyssey instead of bedtime tales) and this idea is right up my alley.
You mentioned old peplum movies (). I have to say that, while some people might consider those movies as paleolithic by modern day standards, I think that they often showed a proportionally greater quality than many present day fantasy movie in terms of effort. The original "Clash of Titans" is still one of my benchmarks for monsters and creatures.

More
20 Apr 2014 18:34 - 20 Apr 2014 22:54 #36236 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Possible Future Ideas

Dr. Muttonchops wrote: Hi, everybody.

Just wanted to stop by this section to let you guys know about some ideas I've been churning around in my head for upcoming stories.

One such one is another Superwoman story based on the golden age Puzzler story, which would possibly have some elements from the Michael Douglas movie, "The Game". Don't bother asking for yet another story where Superwoman fights a muscle-bound female man-killer. Ain't gonna happen.

A Fleischer-type Wonder Woman series! Yeah, how 'bout it? I want to start off with the origin, of course. But the problem is, my idea is identical to the plot of the animated film.

A similar idea I have is an adaptation of the original, female version of the Hercules myth, Heraclea, told in the style of a historical epic film adaptation, ala Ben-Hur or a film with Ray Harryhausen effects, what with all the Hercules films coming out recently, only this one would be focused on the "Labors of Heraclea" situation. Possibly an Atalanta story as well, except instead of just marathon racing, possibly Greco-Roman wrestling thrown in as a competition she participates in as well.

i could see the puzzler type story working- the fundemental challenge of any super story is giving themsomething to work with-and yeah work there mind. The game idea is pretty clever. I didn't actually like the movie much but its a clever idea- i think part of its flaw was how it never really builds up micheal douglas as a guy you like. You have built up Clara.

I was going to make a suggestion that you combine it with the wonder woman story-after all what do two superheros always do when they meet(no wait a secnd this is DC not marvel forget that)

As for the wonder woman series that could be fun. You are very good at creating the tone of something. - The problem i had with the animated movie was that it explicit femenism and strident characteristics didn't work very well with the modern day setting-those kind of ideas could work well in the 40s setting. I tend to think Wonder woman is a character who works better when you demephsis the Grecco Roman stuff( i am a kind of a fan of the Morleson era of weird kangaroos) but what ever. Have fun with it.

that said I like the idea of you taking on the pellam Genre-what i always like about the movies at there besti s kind of what an ashole Heracules is-hes a braggart, loudmouth jerk-and god love him for it. The important part isn't the labors or a story of Atlantia-its getting the chuckle right.

that could really work. I could see this kind of overlap a bit with the ideas of Wonder Woman but have you. All the ideas are good.
Last edit: 20 Apr 2014 22:54 by castor.

More
20 Apr 2014 22:26 #36238 by somat
Replied by somat on topic Possible Future Ideas

Don't bother asking for yet another story where Superwoman fights a muscle-bound female man-killer. Ain't gonna happen.

I guess I'm the guilty one here..(if you remember me from deviantart!).

One such one is another Superwoman story based on the golden age Puzzler story, which would possibly have some elements from the Michael Douglas movie, "The Game".

Wow! To me that sounds absolutely awesome. I've seen the movie and I liked it a lot if I'm basically right about the road you want to take this could be even better than "the notes of somnus"you can send here one corner around than another..a labyrinth!

As a VERY dedicated reader I would prefer another Superwomanepisode but it's your choice not mine.

A similar idea I have is an adaptation of the original, female version of the Hercules myth, Heraclea, told in the style of a historical epic film adaptation, ala Ben-Hur or a film with Ray Harryhausen effects, what with all the Hercules films coming out recently, only this one would be focused on the "Labors of Heraclea" situation.

The female hercules is a great groundbase to start with but as you know at least as good as I know it Superman was/is the more or less modernist version of the male ueberhuman(at least when it comes to strength). I have watched Ben Hur just 1 times for real and I honestly have to confess that it didn't impress me that much. I have seen quite a few movies where Ray Harryhausen did the effects- things where quite different back in the 1950ies and 60ies- less direct confrontations more like demonstrations of strength and power and competitons..wasn't Hercules at least at times seduced or more oftenly tricked to fall into situations where he in one way or another had to prove himself? That could be a good thoughtbase for the start of a new superheroe story, with a plotline smart enough so that the reader doesn't get it until THE unforseen and unexpected happens and than the hercules/Heraclea part ever so slowly undulates(moah something between a heartstroke and something else almost happens to me when I think about THAT part of a possible story).

Possibly an Atalanta story as well, except instead of just marathon racing, possibly Greco-Roman wrestling thrown in as a competition she participates in as well.

Up to now I didn't knew that Atalanta the character has been created by someone else other than Argonaut..you really seem to be student as far as this whole stuff is concerned.
..Don't know anything about Greco-Roman wrestling, my own ideas go more into the direction where she
comes into a situation which forces her to explore the depths of the physical dimension of her existence as far as strength and opposing and matching that of others is concerned. SLOWLY just like in some of those old movies less blows/figthting or none but more the classical way of measuring and competing against someone or something else...

You are the writer and in the end you should be satisfied what you have brought along, but in my view you truly are showing some good instinct and the will to explore the whereabouts of "the genre".

Hm if superwoman would be Heraclea and Hereaclea would be just like Hercules than I guess you want to go down and explore the underworld- Hades something like that?! Watch out! ;)

The things you Do forbid to yourself are the things another part of you wants to do the most.

Thomas

More
30 Apr 2014 18:23 #36332 by Dr. Muttonchops
Replied by Dr. Muttonchops on topic Possible Future Ideas
Also thinking of possibly doing a Bizarro story where Superwoman fights an, ugly mutated clone of herself.

• Dr. Muttonchops
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 May 2014 16:29 #36346 by thewisewatcher
Replied by thewisewatcher on topic Possible Future Ideas

Dr. Muttonchops wrote: Hi, everybody.

I had an idea about Hercules but it stemmed from one of his descendants finding out about her lineage and ends up with his power.

If that sounds like something interesting, let me know if you want ot collaborate

More
01 May 2014 17:36 #36347 by Dr. Muttonchops
No thanks.

• Dr. Muttonchops
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 May 2014 15:26 #36358 by somat

Also thinking of possibly doing a Bizarro story where Superwoman fights an, ugly mutated clone of herself.

A Doppelganger story, that has been done a few times in the past...
I would prefer the ideas you put out in your first posting(the game- but also the 50ties style hercules/heraclea like scenes and actions).

Blitzes for your inspiration(already used in the past as well): An uncharted island, a cavesystem which reaches 100s of Meters into the ground- a search- creature(s) whoms height exceed hundred Meters- one problem to solve- The lightning.

somat

More
03 May 2014 16:04 #36360 by Dr. Muttonchops
I don't care.
I barely understood any of your second paragraph, if you're trying to give me ideas for the Heraclea story, none of those sound appealing to me.

• Dr. Muttonchops
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 May 2014 17:20 #36363 by Woodclaw

Dr. Muttonchops wrote: Also thinking of possibly doing a Bizarro story where Superwoman fights an, ugly mutated clone of herself.

Bizarro is a rather hard concept for me. Depending on the way it's handled it tend to turn into a pure comedy relief or a Frankstein's creture kind of character, but always with a strange sadness. I think this one has potential, since you already showed skill at adding more modern bits of the Superman mythos to your setting.

More
03 May 2014 17:22 #36364 by somat
I wanted to say that the ideas which you made public in the first posting did appeal much more to me than the one with the Doppelganger- but it's you who is going to write them or not. It could be cool to mix the heraclea-thoughts with the superwoman thoughts- after all these two characters have something in common don't they?! ;)

somat

PS: Those short paraphs are to be understood as motives, stuff you can use just like a lego- castle- which you can remember better than me- our age difference seperates us maybe- or not who knows..

More
03 May 2014 17:29 #36365 by Dr. Muttonchops

Woodclaw wrote:

Dr. Muttonchops wrote: Also thinking of possibly doing a Bizarro story where Superwoman fights an, ugly mutated clone of herself.

Bizarro is a rather hard concept for me. Depending on the way it's handled it tend to turn into a pure comedy relief or a Frankstein's creture kind of character, but always with a strange sadness. I think this one has potential, since you already showed skill at adding more modern bits of the Superman mythos to your setting.

There will be no comic relief that I can think of if I ever do that kind of story. It'll mostly be a commentary on the "darker/edgier" versions of classic heroes that I dislike.

• Dr. Muttonchops
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 May 2014 18:15 #36366 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Possible Future Ideas
Bizarro is in my top five favorite superman villians, in that he is both incredibly powerful, and kind of silly at the same time.

*fingers crossed for cube shaped world*

More
03 May 2014 18:17 #36367 by Dr. Muttonchops
Not happening. Going with the clone version. Assuming I ever write another story.

• Dr. Muttonchops
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 May 2014 18:34 #36368 by njae
Replied by njae on topic Possible Future Ideas

Dr. Muttonchops wrote: Not happening. Going with the clone version. Assuming I ever write another story.

Now that sounds dark...

More
04 May 2014 11:14 #36371 by Woodclaw

Dr. Muttonchops wrote:

Woodclaw wrote:

There will be no comic relief that I can think of if I ever do that kind of story. It'll mostly be a commentary on the "darker/edgier" versions of classic heroes that I dislike.

While I don't mind a touch of darker and edgier in a character, I think that it should be handled with care and measure. It's too easy to overdo and turn a character in a joke of himself/herself. If I'm reading you right, the idea is to make Bizarro in a "Mirror Universe" version of Superwoman, instead of the usual weird thinking clone.

More
04 May 2014 11:21 #36372 by Dr. Muttonchops
No, just a clone that Luthor makes that thinks she's Superwoman and destroys things instead of saving them.

• Dr. Muttonchops
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds