Amount

Quickdraw (one-shot story)

04 May 2015 16:44 - 04 May 2015 18:39 #41781 by AuGoose
Quickdraw (one-shot story) was created by AuGoose
Quickdraw
By Au Goose

A work of comic-inspired fiction. Safe for all ages. One of the funnest ways there is to burn calories. Don’t lose your head.

Please take a moment to watch this video in its entirety. It is both visual guide and musical inspiration for what follows.

They squared off, bodies covered with traditional black kendo armor. Faces hidden by the shadowy metal grills of their helmets. Each held a shinai crafted not from bamboo but a vastly more durable hyper-plastic imprinted with the STARlabs logo. They bowed, the shorter fighter’s form just a hair more perfect. The taller fighter corrected their movement almost instantly.

Then they launched at each other, not with cautious circling but with the instant ferocity of partners who knew precisely where they stood in terms of strength and speed and skill. Blows were launched and deflected in a cascade of blurred arcs. Even to the fighters the clash of practice swords sounded like machine gun fire and an orange glow began to illuminate the abandoned building they had appropriated as a dojo.

The taller fighter scored the first telling hit. The shorter acknowledge it with a curt nod before running up a wall and launching downward like a hawk falling on their prey -- an impossible angle for merely human swordsmen. They met in mid-air with a resounding crack, before leaping off of each other’s bodies to recoil to the far corners of the broken ceiling.

It was – officially – game on.

They swept across the walls leaving after images carved from orange light. They fought from the rising vantage point of bare steel pillars as if they were broad roadways. They exchanged blows of classic precision while dancing through the archways separating the broad open rooms. No advantage was overlooked and no quarter offered. Gravity seemed almost an afterthought to their exchanges. The points rose until they were at 4 each...

Sudden Death. Total elapsed time for the three-hundred-plus swings?

7 seconds.

They collided in what was even to their magnificently accelerated senses a blur of reflex rather than conscious thought. Fighting at the borders of no-mind. Trails and sparks of raw Speed Force filled the room. They shot apart, before rebounding off of the walls to meet again in mid-air like they had done at first... There was a single decisive crack and both of them landed lightly and stilled, their speed-smeared three dimensional shadows catching up to them at last. Then they bowed to each other in normal speed with elegant formality.

The taller combatant stripped off his mask, revealing a pleasantly blonde young man: the features of Barry Allen, the Fastest Man Alive. “Wow. You are incredible, Kuikkushirubā.”

The shorter fighter removed her mask also, unleashing long black hair belonging to a classically beautiful Japanese woman, clearly years older than her sparring partner. “And you are a fast study, Barry-san. Improvisational and adaptable. I doubt I’ll beat you next time if you continue with the drills I showed you”.

“If you say so Uona-sensei.” He only called her teacher when they were geared up like this. Usually they were much less formal. Nobody who ate like the two of them did could be completely serious in each other's company for long.

“I do. Enjoy the compliment.”

“You sure you won’t change your mind?” This too was part of their ritual.

“I am. I have no interest in parading these powers in public. We walk separate paths. I would have been offended at your intrusion into my life if we didn’t share such an obvious... connection...” He’d found her as much as she found him... they both could feel the other tapping into the Speed Force from opposite sides of the world. She was slightly slower, but she had years of experience on him, both as a speedster and a warrior. They’d become good friends even if her reluctance to help others was something of a disappointment to him.

“I will respect your wishes. But if you ever need me...”

“...You’ll come running. Same to you Barry-san. For you, I will ‘come running’.”

They nodded amiably.

And in a flash, the building was empty.
Last edit: 04 May 2015 18:39 by AuGoose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, Ravens_ghost

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• AuGoose
  • AuGoose's Avatar Topic Author
More
05 May 2015 12:36 #41801 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Quickdraw (one-shot story)
I like this short a lot. It touches two of my favorite themes: alternative power settings (lets face it in the genre the flying brick is way too common) and training. The scene is barely 1000 words so it's unavoiable that it lacks in terms of descriptions, but overall it's nice. I particulary enjoy the feeling of speed in the first bit, it's very well done. Super-speed is really hard thing to describe properly since it breaks the pace of the story, but here it works well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AuGoose

More
10 May 2015 14:08 #41886 by AuGoose
Replied by AuGoose on topic Quickdraw (one-shot story)
To be honest it was an experiment to see if I could cheat on word count by using the video to establish the million details of the outfits, movements, and physical space they were playing in. My usual story length runs kinda long, so it also felt good to get some practice in on the short form (cheathing or not :P )

I wanted to see if I could capture some of the essence of their speed by showing it in something more like how they perceive it from hyper-acceleration... then step back and reframe it all as: Damn- That, was FAST!. Writing compelling superspeed is something I have to work on with characters like Zoe in the forefront of my mind (Taylor skirts the whole issue by not being fast :))

And as to non-thrown-brick heroines... While I'm gonna run with Zoe and Taylor as long as those muses choose to flit about me, the next super-heroine I want to do has a very different cluster of abilities indeed...

Warning: Spoiler!

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• AuGoose
  • AuGoose's Avatar Topic Author
More
Time to create page: 0.045 seconds