Amount

The honking of geese (a notebook)

26 May 2016 18:16 - 09 Jun 2016 01:59 #48093 by AuGoose
The honking of geese (a notebook) was created by AuGoose
So, as I putter around writing down story seeds and random scenes in a big folder (that eventually spits out a story sometimes if I'm lucky), I always keep an eye out for interesting 'origin stories', or the WAY a character gets their powers. Because my goodness there's a lot of well established options. Over-used, even. Generally the critical element in all super-hero origins is that it can't be easily replicated or recreated. Hence the popularity of meteorites and other beyond this Earth origins. Or the impossible lottery-luck of mutants. One time scientific mishaps. You know the drill.

Another thing that tends to accompany these events is the idealized bodies superheroes enjoy. If we're honest with ourselves it's because the genre's roots are in drawing the same character across 28 pages each and every month and most characters devolve into the simplest ideal body models artists are trained on, because anything else multiplies the workload beyond their never-ending deadlines. Even the drape of real clothes gets to be too much work. Some settings ignore it, ones like the wonderful webcomic Grrlpower embrace it as a running gag becoming a known (but not understood) part of having powers in that world. Once in a while you get a character like Stormwatch's Jenny Sparks who openly mocks the trope (a slender, foul-mouthed cigarette smoking Brit whose idea of wearing a costume begins and ends with putting on a Union Jack t-shirt).

So I've been looking around in the idea space where a character gets powers and a body that's the product of deliberate design at the same time/for the same reasons. Being a fan of the protagonists willing (and sometimes enthusiastic) participation in their own super-iz-ing, I'm playing with various computer-age origins stories. Digital apotheosis for the win :).
Ulterior MMOtives (part 1)
By Au Goose
Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 09 Jun 2016 01:59 by AuGoose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grayface, koopa, yaracyrrah, Ravens_ghost, hunterbr2001, KarkClent, dante1265, HikerAngel, Masterchiefarby117

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• AuGoose
  • AuGoose's Avatar Topic Author
More
27 May 2016 05:18 - 09 Jun 2016 01:59 #48100 by AuGoose
Replied by AuGoose on topic Why ask Why? (power origins)
So, video games and character customization gives us a perfect excuse for our protagonists to set about re-designing themselves. Certainly plenty of fantasy-fulfillment to be had right there. But it's not a super-hero Origin... Yet.

Lots of ways to go from such a beginning, but what if the player's aren't the only thing visiting these countless virtual worlds that lay along side our real lives? Like ghosts (or worse) you can only see in a mirror...? What lies beneath?
Ulterior MMOtives (part 2)
By Au Goose

Oh, and ProTip: When your muse snatches you up by the scruff of the neck and plants the sweetest kiss on your forehead before whispering, "Now write, dumbass..." I advise you start writing. She may not be back for a while.
Last edit: 09 Jun 2016 01:59 by AuGoose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Sarge395, Grayface, Woodclaw, KarkClent, Monty, Heronimus

• AuGoose
More
27 May 2016 05:20 #48101 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Why ask Why? (power origins)

AuGoose wrote:
Oh, and ProTip: When your muse snatches you up by the scruff of the neck and plants the sweetest kiss on your forehead before whispering, "Now write, dumbass..." I advise you start writing! She may not be back for a while.

That's the truth. Doesn't matter what else is going on. If the Muse whispers, we write.

The problem is when she isn't.

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: AuGoose

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
27 May 2016 15:24 #48106 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Why ask Why? (power origins)
Excellent scene, Goose! I think her fun is just beginning though! :) Can't wait to read more! Thanks for that!

ElF

AuGoose wrote: So, video games and character customization gives us a perfect excuse for our protagonists to set about re-designing themselves. Certainly plenty of fantasy-fulfillment to be had right there. But it's not a super-hero Origin... Yet.

Lots of ways to go from such a beginning, but what if the player's aren't the only thing visiting these countless virtual worlds that lay along side our real lives? Like ghosts (or worse) you can only see in a mirror...? What lies beneath?

Oh, and ProTip: When your muse snatches you up by the scruff of the neck and plants the sweetest kiss on your forehead before whispering, "Now write, dumbass..." I advise you start writing. She may not be back for a while.

The following user(s) said Thank You: anterion, AuGoose

More
28 May 2016 07:30 - 30 Nov 2016 05:12 #48114 by AuGoose
Ok, a quick sidebar then a long sidebar :).

I do a lot of writing in my day job. Things you can sell to the broader public. So I like to come here to share the quirky bits I've produced on and off since I first picked up the pen for fun. One of the best things about hanging around here is folks are pretty open about their tastes. I get exposed to ideas I'd never find in a less anonymous, less trusting exchange.

One of the things it shows me is my blind spots. I know what I like, and what I like to write, but that doesn't' tell me much about what I could write. When I realize there's something I don't do, I kind of want to try my hand at it. I do sweet-natured uber-girls. For all that I usually find Superman a little silly, The fact is when I give a character world-breaking power, I usually want to see them be magnanimous about it. Even a monster like Zoe has better things to do with her time than step on ants most days. But other people approach the genre in other ways. So I experiment. Some experiments succeed. Some fail. Either way I learn. My muse is a little confusing that way :). Even if she means well.

One of my fellow SWM visitors offered a possible direction for the pieces I've posted in this thread that was, in a way, completely alien to me. I just don't think like that. And because I don't I felt the urge to try.

So, I present a longer side bar. I don't know if I'll keep it. I don' know if any other parts will reference it. But it was still worth writing. Others may enjoy it more than I do, or less. But to me it was interesting.

It also comes with a warning label. I do some raunchy stuff. Graphic. If you've read my other stories you know. What I don't usually do is sex in the service of cruelty. It makes me uncomfortable. So, feel free to stop or turn away. I won't judge. And make no mistake, this is NSFW.
Ulterior MMOtives (part 3)
By Au Goose
Last edit: 30 Nov 2016 05:12 by AuGoose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grayface, Ravens_ghost, luchodemeyer, Heronimus, Masterchiefarby117

• AuGoose
More
28 May 2016 20:02 - 09 Jun 2016 01:58 #48119 by AuGoose
Alright. So I flinched. I backed away from the abyss the first try. But with a little editing I can jettison the Hallmark ending and go at least to a dimmer place, if not dark. Which actually makes me a lot more willing to make the whole exchange 'canon' in the finished story. While Hannah is definitely the central viewpoint, all the members of SHAG are gonna have a wild fling on their first day of uber-osity.

Its funny how non-linear writing is compared to reading. Dancing back and forth to start loops of self-reference and then close them. Always nice when a tale writes itself, but for me most of the time its a ton of calculated back-stage puppetry. ((shakes fist)) Curse you Chekov's gun! Such a simple rule shouldn't have so much power. Sometimes the punch line occurs to you first and you have to go backward through time to tell the joke properly. Does anyone else feel like they have to work to create echoes?

I'm always amazed at web comic writers who have to keep their balance on an ever rising pile of logs as publishing a strip locks down the past. I have to believe that they (at least the good ones) are working months ahead in the story telling... at least in outline form. Sometimes that's what I want to be when I grow up :).

Edit: Wow. I haven't heard from Lioness in a while, but guess what shook loose?
The Lioness, a Tactical Superhero (interlude)
By Au Goose
Last edit: 09 Jun 2016 01:58 by AuGoose.

• AuGoose
More
29 May 2016 21:05 - 14 Aug 2016 13:37 #48123 by AuGoose
Ok, short but sweet. I want to keep The camera following Hannah, but I've got two other super-nerdettes who need to get their freak on. The solution - Boy Talk! (with snacks.)

This is much more in my wheelhouse. Enjoy :).
Ulterior MMOtives (part 4)
By Au Goose
Last edit: 14 Aug 2016 13:37 by AuGoose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grayface, Ravens_ghost, KarkClent, Heronimus

• AuGoose
More
30 May 2016 00:50 #48125 by Sarge395
Replied by Sarge395 on topic Why ask Why? (power origins)
Looking forward to being home from a classic Mem Day vaca to read this.

• Sarge395
More
30 May 2016 14:25 #48134 by koopa
Replied by koopa on topic Why ask Why? (power origins)
Exceptionnally well-written and fun! I especially enjoyed the vocabulary and well documented references showing that you actually spent some time playing MMO games.
Since your special liking for angel-like female, my best guess is that you raided as an Human priestess in WoW :)

Thanks for sharing. I'm really liking your style.

More
31 May 2016 15:16 #48144 by AuGoose
Thanks :). While I have raided in several games (CoH/V, LotRO, SWtOR, Wildstar), my highest level character in WoW is a 47th level Draenei Paladin. I'll have to look into the priest skills again :). I do certainly favor support roles but I've played endgame on all aspects of the Trinity - if only so I can swap to any role to fill a raid composition if someone else has flaked. The lingo feels very natural to me, so it's a pleasure to use it (and be understood!).

I was actually making a new character in the otherwise unmemorable Perfect World Elysium so the notion of bending the sliders to make a face that's not some sloe-eyed passive cow was on my mind. I really have had people follow me around in flocks in some virtual worlds, I like to think for the reasons given in story - I try to embrace the microscopic flaws that make it real. I may dredge up some screenies to illustrate :), not that any game will let me make something as good as Absolute Overpower... yet.

The ending is done, so I just need one more middling to connect the dots and tie it up in a bow :). Time for Karen to shine. I'm also scrubbing the existing parts trying to cut down on length and tighten the narrative (without sacrificing too much luxuriant description).

• AuGoose
More
01 Jun 2016 16:53 - 28 Nov 2016 17:28 #48166 by AuGoose
Replied by AuGoose on topic Why ask Why? (the honking of geese)
Getting back to the original topic of Origin Stories, I finally wrote out one I'd been mulling over for a while.

Be careful what you wish for. Someone might get it...
The Lioness, a Tactical Superhero (Part II, prologue)
By Au Goose

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 28 Nov 2016 17:28 by AuGoose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Sarge395, Lulu, TwiceOnThursdays, KarkClent, Adams

• AuGoose
More
02 Jun 2016 02:30 #48170 by Sarge395
Replied by Sarge395 on topic Why ask Why? (the honking of geese)
She is going to have troubles in every way imaginable. Her breath alone would destroy the world. Great mental image of just how strong she would have become. Everything would just be a dust to her. The self control would have to be compounded as much as her strength for her to interact and enjoy life. Boundary pushing story.

• Sarge395
More
02 Jun 2016 04:04 - 09 Jun 2016 02:47 #48175 by AuGoose
Yeah, in some ways the whole tale is an elaborate math joke. It took some logarithmic finagling but the numbers are correct- 4.543 billion years of 1% compound interest does spit out a roughly 19 million digit multiplier for your initial capital. To give an idea of how conceptually embarrassing that is, the number of atoms in the entire observable universe - evere star in every galaxy for 46 billion light years in every direction is only an 83 digit number. 83. When we throw around the term "infinite strength" its usually just a word. This story is an invitation to back up and get a running start before you jump off the cliff of incomprehensibility.

But don't worry, she has another birthday coming up :).

Edit: Folded in some of your commentary, Sarge. Gives her story a much sharper ending. Thanks! :)

Edit: Many more tweaks. it's got me thinking more on what really happens around an infinite strength character in a more grounded setting like Lioness's world. Getting that running start before going over the cliff's given me some ideas too.

In other news, some inspiration for Hannah's Shadow Hunter friend Karen. Maybe not quite on Hannah's level with a character editor, but day-am. :woohoo:

This message has an attachment image.

Last edit: 09 Jun 2016 02:47 by AuGoose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anaheim, Rjjt456

• AuGoose
More
07 Jun 2016 09:17 - 09 Jun 2016 10:57 #48331 by AuGoose
Sorry for the delay. I have been working on the ((snicker)) climax to Hannah's story but I'm thinking of trying something a little different and ambitious for what I expect to be the final installment. In the meantime my Muse was rather adamant I put another little trifle that's been bouncing around in my head to paper so I don't forget it like so many other stories I've lost by not acting on the impulse. So I blame her. Nyyaa.
Aphrodite Can't Swim
by Au Goose
Last edit: 09 Jun 2016 10:57 by AuGoose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ravens_ghost

• AuGoose
More
08 Jun 2016 04:14 - 13 Aug 2016 22:13 #48345 by AuGoose
Replied by AuGoose on topic The honking of geese (a notebook)
All-righty! Hannah's back and she's agreed to help with a little experiment - to let us see the world through her eyes briefly, rather than over her shoulder. In the finished story this section will likely be set off by a different font, as perspective changes can present treacherous footing, deserving clear flags and checkpoints.
Ulterior MMOtives (part 5)
By Au Goose

Is the end truly nigh for our trio? Dunt'dunnt'duunnnnn...
Last edit: 13 Aug 2016 22:13 by AuGoose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

• AuGoose
More
16 Jun 2016 02:10 #48588 by Grayface
Replied by Grayface on topic The honking of geese (a notebook)
Ulterior MMOtives- I really liked this story a lot, and I mean a LOT. unfortunately I have been super busy but I feel need to read over it again at a slower pace to savior the details.

More
02 Jul 2016 15:05 - 10 Jul 2016 07:26 #48944 by AuGoose
Sorry about the hiatus - I've actually still been writing a fair bit, but hadn't been doing regular/daily dumps to the thread.

I've got some family events coming up that'll punch holes in my calendar, but I'm still plugging away.

((I'm a tiny bit frustrated with Ulterior MMOtives - I ended up writing some parts out of order and now I'm hung on like a page-worth of text I need to do before the rest flows smoothly. I even know what the scene needs to address. Just have to crack the whip I guess...))
Fifteen Minutes of Fame (part 1)
by Au Goose
Last edit: 10 Jul 2016 07:26 by AuGoose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, Woodclaw, algae2k, koopa, Ravens_ghost, Lulu, LustMonster

• AuGoose
More
02 Jul 2016 16:28 #48945 by Ravens_ghost
Replied by Ravens_ghost on topic The honking of geese (a notebook)
I'm a lurker at heart, but can the goddess give us more of that last snip-it, please.

More
02 Jul 2016 17:12 #48946 by LustMonster
Replied by LustMonster on topic The honking of geese (a notebook)

AuGoose wrote: “This is Katie Grace reporting for KIBC in San Francisco. We interrupt our usual programming to bring you this as-it-happens exclusive...[/spoiler]

We've got the bubble headed bleach-blonde coming on at 5
She can make another plane crash with a gleam in her eye
It's so much fun when people die
Who needs dirty laundry!

More
04 Jul 2016 11:00 #48966 by koopa
Replied by koopa on topic The honking of geese (a notebook)
Whoa, this Five minutes of Fame is incredibly well built up. Can't hardly wait for part 2 !

More
04 Jul 2016 14:32 - 08 Jul 2016 23:51 #48968 by AuGoose

Ravens_ghost wrote: I'm a lurker at heart, but can the goddess give us more of that last snip-it, please.

Honestly, few things are more effective at getting a goddess to linger than asking her to :blush:.

Also as a heads up, depending on when you read it there are some substantial changes to part 1 including an additional character (Ella) being introduced who you'll see more of later.

Fifteen Minutes of Fame (part 2)
by Au Goose
Last edit: 08 Jul 2016 23:51 by AuGoose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Sarge395, algae2k, koopa, Ravens_ghost, furbutt4, veggicidal, LustMonster

• AuGoose
More
06 Jul 2016 14:51 - 08 Jul 2016 23:53 #48993 by AuGoose
To my enduring astonishment, 15 Minutes of Fame is complete (though not done). Every crucial plot point covered, every bridge between scenes built. Which is a huge relief because so often I have a beginning, and ending, and a whole box of parts that don't quite shuffle into neat rows. My muse was feeling unusually through.

Part I and II have some added body now, and in particular it might be worthwhile to review part I. Because I tend to do so much focused editing after posting a chunk I'm gonna continue to break the story down into bite sized pieces for your reading and to limit and direct my screaming 'goddam typos!' at it :). Plus I think Katie would approve.

We return to your program, already in progress...

Fifteen Minutes of Fame (part 3)
by Au Goose

Last edit: 08 Jul 2016 23:53 by AuGoose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Sarge395, algae2k, koopa, furbutt4, LustMonster

• AuGoose
More
06 Jul 2016 15:44 #48994 by LustMonster
Replied by LustMonster on topic The honking of geese (a notebook)

Every breath was held--

Including MINE, dammit!

This image is hidden for guests.

Next part please!
The following user(s) said Thank You: anterion, koopa, Ravens_ghost

More
07 Jul 2016 00:19 #48996 by www1969
Replied by www1969 on topic The honking of geese (a notebook)
This is terrific.

More
07 Jul 2016 15:28 #49011 by lojack
Replied by lojack on topic The honking of geese (a notebook)
You are a bad man. A very very bad man! :P

But, props for the #Dickstarter hashtag, I laughed at that one! :laugh:

More
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds