Amount

How do you tackle a theme?

01 Sep 2016 15:13 #49998 by Woodclaw
How do you tackle a theme? was created by Woodclaw
This last workshop has, in my mind, the great perk of variety. We read six stories with very different tones and styles and that made me wonder.

When I work on a story I tend to follow one of two approaches, either I tend to write the whole thing in a straight, linear and more or less chronological sequence, or I jut down a bunch of scenes that I know I want to see in it and try to find a way to connect them together. Both have served me pretty well, but I'd like to hear from other writers about what kind of approach they use to writing, to circumvent writing block and to avoid writing themselves in a corner or in the middle of everywhere (i.e. putting a character in a position where every possible action would result in a spawning a new storyline, rather than focussing on the main one).

Most of all, I want to understand how people like to work on themed story, who prefer to write an ad-hoc piece fitting the exact criteria and who loves to work with nail and file to hammer an existing story into shape.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Woodclaw
  • Woodclaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
01 Sep 2016 16:20 - 01 Sep 2016 16:40 #50000 by lojack
Replied by lojack on topic How do you tackle a theme?
I'm not a writer (even as one on TV) but I have a very detailed imagination. I construct the stories in my head, but they never seem to translate properly out of my head. :(

That being said, I usually start with a scene or kernel of a story and build it out like a sculptor, putting something here, stuff there, and then try to get it to flow. sometimes it looks complete, but as I run through it, I notice that parts don't work and have to rip out and replace segments to get it right. (Even then sometimes nothing better comes to me.)

An example, there was a workshop about having to use one of three lines. I picked the gun one and the process went (number indicates order of occurrence in my head)

1. gun line
2. girl gets shot
3. have her shot in a robbery
4. she's actually working for the robber (boyfriend), and is a plant to make it look more real
5. in the loot is an interesting necklace
6. she wears necklace
12. intentional time gap
8. necklace exposure has in the intervening time turned girl super
7. recall awkward moments as she recounts snippets of superness
11.realize necklace is cause, but the power is spent
10. boyfriend is super as well, but at a minor level compared to her
9. plan final robbery (including robbery fashion)
14. clean up evidence that would link them to anything
13. execute plan

I kind of lost specifics in the execution, although I had bits where she used a few powers for fun, and some because she wanted to 'test herself'

I am partially OCD, and went as far to study how safes are constructed, how do vaults get put into banks, looking at maps to find a city with shipping capability (needed a place that could dock a large enough ship that a semi could be parked on board) that had a large enough population to have a bank like I wanted, and still work with the other story elements. Its possible the details got me, but I actually got all the setup to the actual night of the big heist working. It was her 'coming out' party that I couldn't figure out to my liking (had a bare skeleton of events, but nothing satisfying). Basically got caught on trying to figure out a way to do the heist unseen and with no loss of life (loss of property/damage on the other hand... ;) )

As I went through the research, I went back and modified certain scenes, and realized some didn't work and dropped them, and had to add another to make smoother transition between bits (and to fit some gaps I found).

After all that, it still is in my head, and at some point my brain will squeeze out an AHA! and I can put it to rest. One of these days when I can learn to write, I'll see about getting this and a host of others transferred from meat to metal.... :)
Last edit: 01 Sep 2016 16:40 by lojack. Reason: Added story failure reason and cleaned up errant markings
The following user(s) said Thank You: Woodclaw

• lojack
  • Away
More
01 Sep 2016 18:18 #50009 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic How do you tackle a theme?

lojack wrote: I'm not a writer (even as one on TV) but I have a very detailed imagination. I construct the stories in my head, but they never seem to translate properly out of my head. :(

That being said, I usually start with a scene or kernel of a story and build it out like a sculptor, putting something here, stuff there, and then try to get it to flow. sometimes it looks complete, but as I run through it, I notice that parts don't work and have to rip out and replace segments to get it right. (Even then sometimes nothing better comes to me.)

An example, there was a workshop about having to use one of three lines. I picked the gun one and the process went (number indicates order of occurrence in my head)

1. gun line
2. girl gets shot
3. have her shot in a robbery
4. she's actually working for the robber (boyfriend), and is a plant to make it look more real
5. in the loot is an interesting necklace
6. she wears necklace
12. intentional time gap
8. necklace exposure has in the intervening time turned girl super
7. recall awkward moments as she recounts snippets of superness
11.realize necklace is cause, but the power is spent
10. boyfriend is super as well, but at a minor level compared to her
9. plan final robbery (including robbery fashion)
14. clean up evidence that would link them to anything
13. execute plan

I kind of lost specifics in the execution, although I had bits where she used a few powers for fun, and some because she wanted to 'test herself'

I am partially OCD, and went as far to study how safes are constructed, how do vaults get put into banks, looking at maps to find a city with shipping capability (needed a place that could dock a large enough ship that a semi could be parked on board) that had a large enough population to have a bank like I wanted, and still work with the other story elements. Its possible the details got me, but I actually got all the setup to the actual night of the big heist working. It was her 'coming out' party that I couldn't figure out to my liking (had a bare skeleton of events, but nothing satisfying). Basically got caught on trying to figure out a way to do the heist unseen and with no loss of life (loss of property/damage on the other hand... ;) )

As I went through the research, I went back and modified certain scenes, and realized some didn't work and dropped them, and had to add another to make smoother transition between bits (and to fit some gaps I found).

After all that, it still is in my head, and at some point my brain will squeeze out an AHA! and I can put it to rest. One of these days when I can learn to write, I'll see about getting this and a host of others transferred from meat to metal.... :)

Read up on the Snowflake method of writing. Given you say you have a touch of OCD, it might work especially well for you. In essence, it provides a structured way to go from an idea or theme and generate a complete novel based on that. A short story can benefit from many of the same concepts. It just goes way faster.

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
01 Sep 2016 18:54 #50012 by erikphandel
Replied by erikphandel on topic How do you tackle a theme?
I honestly just write. My mind is a fucking mess and I lack initiative, so I produce short chapters. I like to start with characters with strong traits and defined powers, and do stories based on interactions between that. That's why most of my stories introduce new characters. It's an easy way to get your stuff going

More
01 Sep 2016 19:55 #50015 by Engineered-Sorcery
Replied by Engineered-Sorcery on topic How do you tackle a theme?
I don't have a particular way that I write, it really depends on what I'm doing and why I'm doing it, however, I do have a general flow that happens for me.

Usually for me, inspiration strikes in the form of a mental image, a vivid scene that makes me think 'so, how did we get to this point?' From there I will start writing a character up, starting with a personality and spiralling that out to who they would know and what their usual daily behavior would be.

I'm a pretty decently researched person normally, and I'll pull that information in whenever I can. If there's a particular thing that I want to have happen, such as an action or reaction, I'll put a bit more information into it, but most of the time I tend to just write what I think of at the time. Music and film also heavily factor into my creative process, as I tend to think about what kind of song or shot composition I'd use for a given 'scene' in a story, which helps me come up with the sensory details that I want to feed to the audience.

As for a theme, I'd probably write something for the purpose of the theme if I felt like I have some sort of idea that could work well with it. I never know when my muse will wake up and tell me to write, but when it happens I do my best to listen to her voice, however mocking it can be.

Honestly, my biggest problem with writing is that I want things to be perfect the first time round. I'm not a great editor of my own work, so I try to minimize the amount of proofreading that I'll have to do. This is great in that it makes a good final product once it's done, but the process is pretty brutal on me both physically and emotionally, so I've been trying to cut down on the amount of both that and self-criticism that I do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Woodclaw, erikphandel

More
01 Sep 2016 21:51 #50019 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic How do you tackle a theme?
Have a beginning - Know your ending and the rest is just filler. IMO the most important thing of all is knowing the direction the story and how you intend to end it. I get hung up all the time, whether it be fact checking. Or not knowing how a particular dialogue will go down or even how I bridge gaps between B to C or B to E. So, instead of being frustrated and stop writing. I simply insert brackets (X meets Y and is confronted by A) and I simply move on with the story. During a long drive, or on my way to work, i'll find the solution for the brackets and write in later.

Remember, like any type of construction. It's an ugly mess when it starts....don't be discouraged. Just keep plugging at it and you'll impress yourself

More
02 Sep 2016 02:22 #50023 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic How do you tackle a theme?
I tend to be a lot like dkc. I wrote the ending for Supergirl and Superwoman the day after I started on. 6 weeks later I had the rest of it. It started with the idea that the ring required a death a day, and this would turn an otherwise smart and nice girl with a desperate need to be loved and adored into a schizophrenic which would set up the cliffhanger at the end. Would she give up the ring and lose her powers, would she give in to the dark superwoman or would they start fighting each other?

And I will admit that I deliberately left the door open to continue the story.

I did the exact same thing for Turnabout is Fair Play only I had several more filler ideas and time to work them in.

More
02 Sep 2016 05:27 - 02 Sep 2016 13:21 #50024 by AuGoose
Replied by AuGoose on topic How do you tackle a theme?
For me writing occurs in three very different phases - imagining, recording, editing.

I'll get an idea for a plot, or character, or a piece of dialogue. Mostly I just need a somewhat distraction-free space to zone out and listen to my characters talk to each other, or work out a character background, or a plot framework. Sometimes reading, or looking at pictures puts an idea in motion. Once I have a tidbit, I'll turn it over in my head a few times, maybe polish it a bit... and if I don't immediately stop and write it down it'll just sit there hogging attention for a while and then finally dissipate into long term storage. I've learned that basically I think in snippets that become about 400 words long once they're written down.

The critical step for me is slapping it down on the page - poorly structured, warts and all. Get those 400 words worth of idea secured. Its the only way to really cleanse my palette. And if I'm lucky as I'm dumping to external memory, my brain's already moving on to the next part and I'll basically zip along writing down what I just thought of 15-90 seconds ago and the process sort of looks continuous. But its really still taking place as two separate activities, the thinking of it and the getting it onto the page.

Once it's on the page and I no longer have to try and hold the whole thing in my short term memory I can edit it. That's usually where the majority of the magic occurs. I can fix word choice, work on flow and sound, identify gaps (wait, Character A doesn't know that yet... need to go back and introduce the information earlier...), create or close loops of self-reference (putting ammo in Chekov's Gun :)), and generally spruce the place up. My notebook thread is largely a motivational trick about putting stuff into the public eye while it's still relatively rough, forcing me to jump on it to clean it up fast before too many people see it in its slovenly state :).

(By way of a practical example, while writing 15 minutes of Fame Ella didn't exist until coming to the end of the rough pass I though, 'dude, it'd be awesome if some of this energy Liam's tearing off Katie hit somebody...!' Ella was created at the moment of her uberfication, and then I went back through the story to first introduce her, and then to give her a handful of minor appearances just to keep her there in the reader's peripheral vision. Then boom: the payoff. But also about 8 more editing passes after that to polish the loops of foreshadowing and delivery.)

As to working with a theme, well, the imagination step is usually a bunch of processing inspirations - wouldn't she be greats as an uber?, what about a genie wish gone out of control?, I want to make a joke about Disney movies... Hey, do a story with power transfer, and a catch. On a good day the theme itself is inspiring. Like others have described, I usually know roughly where I'm going end up with a story, and I generally put in some brain sweat creating the starting point, but in the initial draft the route between the two can be shockingly linear with at best a twist or two I know I want at the outset. All the little scenes and beats that give the story it's feel rarely show up in my mind fully formed. They get worked in during edits. "There is no good writing, only good re-writing" So true, at least for me. And while I can re-write in my head, its just EASIER to do it externally. I am all about easy: it lets me get farther before I run out of mental energy.

I suspect Woodclaw mentioned 'hammering into shape' as he knew "15 minutes of Fame" was not my original story idea for the workshop. I had a different tale in mind with a fair degree of outlining done and a much MUCH more conventional power transfer story (the twist was funny though, so maybe I'll do more with it at some point). Alas I didn't find the essential need to make it happen. Fortunately another story I was already well into (and was rolling on like a freight train down a steep hill) almost coincidentally involved a transformative process that was fairly close to being power transfer (though a little peculiar by virtue of being 'crowdsourcing' rather than drawn from a single donor). So I reworked a few necessary introductions, tuned some of the steps along the way to make it more evident there was transfers occurring, and submitted it. (I'd have ranked it about 3rd-4th myself, at best a toss up against Touch and Go, but folks seemed to like it :).)
Last edit: 02 Sep 2016 13:21 by AuGoose.

More
07 Sep 2016 14:40 #50145 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic How do you tackle a theme?
Thank you all for the answers, some I already knew, some I didn't.
Still most of you only answered half the question, so I might reiterate it. All good for the technical pov, but I would like to ask about the gut part of writing a story.
We all have our little quirks, but when you think about a story, especially about defining characters, what is the pivot to build them around?
Make them believeable? Functional to the narrative? Or else?

• Woodclaw
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
07 Sep 2016 15:48 #50146 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic How do you tackle a theme?
Also, I'd like to put forward a couple of personal questions.
To Shadar, you mentioned the snowflake method, can you give us a bit more details.
To DKC and Ace, while I subscribe to the idea that it's a good idea to know where a story is going, how do you avoid writing youself in a corner? I have a hard time not to do it with open-ended scenes.

• Woodclaw
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
Time to create page: 0.057 seconds