Amount

Seldom Seen Origins

19 Oct 2019 06:22 #65316 by Thefirstone
Seldom Seen Origins was created by Thefirstone
What types of origin stories do you wish were used in stories more often?  Personally I like  Wonder Woman-esque “traveler from a hidden society” stories.  Another interesting one is the Camp Half Blood route, with a character who’s the daughter of a god or some godlike entity.  (On that note, what about a character whose the daughter of an AZTEC god and needs blood to fuel her powers?)
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thefirstone
  • Thefirstone's Avatar Topic Author
More
19 Oct 2019 12:52 #65317 by Monty
Replied by Monty on topic Seldom Seen Origins
I like the 'blast from the meteor touch' gifting the recipient girl fantastic powers. Ok, it's not probably seldom seen, but is a nice 'touch' (touche).
As with My Super-Ex with Uma Thurman where I imagine a rock from the exploded planet Krypton slowly orbiting our sun gathering incredible power before crashing to Earth, and then BOOM! Jenny Johnson would never be the same again after reaching out to touch that meteor rock...

More
19 Oct 2019 13:53 #65318 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Seldom Seen Origins
At top of my list there's the "intentional empowerment", especially of the scientific kind.
While hardly original, I think that this kind of origin has the in-built benefit of adding a significant supporting cast to the story without much need for introductions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

More
19 Oct 2019 14:51 - 19 Oct 2019 14:52 #65319 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Seldom Seen Origins
The "DNA from the ancient gods is passed down and reawakened during a crisis" origin. As in, a Scandinavian blonde who saves a child in a moment of panic by lifting a huge truck and tossing it across the roadway. Turns out she's unknowingly a direct descendent of the ancient Valkyrie. And now she's awakened.

Basically, anything where science and some very special genetics are involved, and not magic. 

Shadar
Last edit: 19 Oct 2019 14:52 by shadar.

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
19 Oct 2019 15:02 - 19 Oct 2019 15:30 #65320 by Monty
Replied by Monty on topic Seldom Seen Origins

Woodclaw wrote: At top of my list there's the "intentional empowerment", especially of the scientific kind.
While hardly original, I think that this kind of origin has the in-built benefit of adding a significant supporting cast to the story without much need for introductions.

....As in 'Bolt from the Blue' where the lady scientist, Doctor Gretchen Kelly, discovers how to copy superpowers to herself through the miracles of science and a bolt of electricity. Worked wonders for her, shame about the duff ending.
Last edit: 19 Oct 2019 15:30 by Monty.

More
19 Oct 2019 16:41 #65323 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Seldom Seen Origins

Monty wrote:

Woodclaw wrote: At top of my list there's the "intentional empowerment", especially of the scientific kind.

....As in 'Bolt from the Blue' where the lady scientist, Doctor Gretchen Kelly, discovers how to copy superpowers to herself through the miracles of science and a bolt of electricity. Worked wonders for her, shame about the duff ending.

I really don't remember much about that particular story, but it sounds only partially on track with. What I was thinking about is more of Super-Soldier Serum scenario, where one (or more) character obtains powers because that was the goal all along and not because of some accident.

More
19 Oct 2019 20:15 #65324 by slim36
Replied by slim36 on topic Seldom Seen Origins
This might be on a tangent, but perhaps there is a product that would only be suitable for latent superior beings.   Consumption of this product could be fatal to less qualified users.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

More
19 Oct 2019 22:12 #65325 by www1969
Replied by www1969 on topic Seldom Seen Origins
I like the accidental, or at least unexpected empowerment of a young woman who slowly realizes (and is thrilled by) what she has become.

More
20 Oct 2019 04:18 #65330 by Jabbrwock
Replied by Jabbrwock on topic Seldom Seen Origins
I'd like an empowerment that is entirely (or at least mostly) an intentional act by a highly competent but not necessarily super woman. It's surprisingly rare, honestly. Being Deedee to some brilliant male Dexter and ruining his scientific plan to give himself super powers by gaining the benefits herself in spite of her gross ineptitude? Quite common. Somehow stealing powers from a man - usually Superman - who already has them? Also common. Actually creating or claiming super powers through her own will and competence? Quite uncommon.

It's quite a subversive trend when you consider what this genre is supposedly about.
The following user(s) said Thank You: slim36

More
20 Oct 2019 06:16 #65332 by Woody
Replied by Woody on topic Seldom Seen Origins
From the research I've done most stories have an origin of the following

Alien intervention - Either an alien themselves or aliens gifting powers to humans. This also includes the (person in a foreign land scenario like Wonder Woman)

Science - generally by experimenting or experiments gone wrong

Magic - totem granting magical powers

Having an origin story that isn't one of them id brilliant, so far I've only come up with 2 and even then I found out one of mine was really a take on captain marvel origin story.

As for the question: I'll take origin stories that aren't the three archetypes listed above. anything that is fresh and new is great in my book

More
21 Oct 2019 00:47 #65340 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Seldom Seen Origins
Born this way.
Origin unknown and unexplainable.

More
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds