Amount

March Madness of a Different Kind

05 Mar 2020 19:24 #67071 by lfan
March Madness of a Different Kind was created by lfan
OK, wanted to throw this idea out there which came from a good idea from HikerAngel which spawned from another great idea from Woody.....

Would people be interested in a story contest in the form of a tournament where we pit authors against each other week-to-week (for maybe 3 - 6 weeks)  where the winners advance to the next round to face each other in a tournament format ala March Madness (for those unfamiliar, March Maddness is a huge 68 team basketball tournament here in the States to crown the college champion).

Anyways, we'd have to work out the logistics but, at a high-level, I was thinking:

-- random seeding of authors to face off against each other.
-- after initial posting, 1 weeks for voting, then posting next story.  We can work out the timing BUT it will be rather fast turnaround for the authors if they win
-- no word limit but a word minimum of 1-2K
-- since the word count is rather short, stories can "continue" into the next round.  That will avoid initial "setup" needed.  Of course, you can start a new story if you want from scratch
-- topic will be really broad -- basically anything with an ubergirl.  I was thinking you just had to use the word MARCH, MADNESS or BASKETBALL in every entry
-- winners advance based on the poll voting
-- I was thinking we need a MINIMUM of 8 people to commit
-- In the event of an "odd" number of entrants, we would do random "byes"....yes, I know.....not entirely fair but those are the breaks!
-- Anyone that misses a week, forfeits their "game"  (yes, I know things come up)

Anyways, we'd love to hear comments on interest in it and if you would consider committing, at least for the first week.  1-2K words doesn't take that much time and everyone will be scrambling anyways.  What say y'all?

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: fats, Woody, HikerAngel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
05 Mar 2020 19:32 #67072 by HikerAngel
Replied by HikerAngel on topic March Madness of a Different Kind
You already know I'm up for it... ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

More
05 Mar 2020 22:06 - 05 Mar 2020 22:07 #67078 by Random321
Replied by Random321 on topic March Madness of a Different Kind
I love this idea, but I'd last two rounds and then I'm guessing I'd run out of time...   ...so the only way I could enter is if I made sure I was eliminated in the first round which seems likely so I'm in only if you are desperate for an 8th.  Hopefully there are 8 authors with something already cooking they can break up.
Last edit: 05 Mar 2020 22:07 by Random321.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, HikerAngel

More
06 Mar 2020 01:20 #67083 by Gincognifo
Replied by Gincognifo on topic March Madness of a Different Kind

Random321 wrote: I love this idea, but I'd last two rounds and then I'm guessing I'd run out of time...   ...so the only way I could enter is if I made sure I was eliminated in the first round which seems likely so I'm in only if you are desperate for an 8th.  Hopefully there are 8 authors with something already cooking they can break up.

You can always guarantee a loss by adding the last line "And then she woke up and it was all a dream..." to your story.

But what if both authors do that?

More
06 Mar 2020 09:40 #67091 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic March Madness of a Different Kind

Gincognifo wrote:

Random321 wrote: I love this idea, but I'd last two rounds and then I'm guessing I'd run out of time...   ...so the only way I could enter is if I made sure I was eliminated in the first round which seems likely so I'm in only if you are desperate for an 8th.  Hopefully there are 8 authors with something already cooking they can break up.

You can always guarantee a loss by adding the last line "And then she woke up and it was all a dream..." to your story.

But what if both authors do that?

What if that is the theme? ;) :P

Anyway I'm in.

More
06 Mar 2020 12:24 #67097 by Woody
Replied by Woody on topic March Madness of a Different Kind
If you need canon fodder for round 1 I'll help make the numbers up; . 

More
Time to create page: 0.052 seconds