Amount

A question

09 Apr 2020 12:52 #67520 by Thefirstone
A question was created by Thefirstone
How do you feel about settings where women are on average what we would consider superhuman?  I’m currently mulling over two ideas in that vein: One in an alternate universe where women are and have always been the (much) bigger and stronger sex...

... And one in the distant future, on a colonized planet.  Essentially, a radical feminist group genetically modified the initial  colonists so that their female descendants would be superhuman.  Somehow, by the time of the story’s present, this lead to the two sexes living apart from each other except to procreate and the males revering the females as goddesses.  

So, thoughts on those?  Or in general, on stories like those?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thefirstone
  • Thefirstone's Avatar Topic Author
More
09 Apr 2020 16:03 #67522 by Idylls
Replied by Idylls on topic A question
It's stupid.

Such a flimsy premise would pop like a soap bubble on the slightest touch. 

I know a significant number of people here have a fetish for being dominated but c'mon you can do better than that. 

• Idylls
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Apr 2020 16:32 #67523 by Helstar
Replied by Helstar on topic A question
It's not stupid, and it has been explored a lot. Reversal of roles, that is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kamelmann, Ravens_ghost, Monty

• Helstar
  • Away
More
09 Apr 2020 17:18 #67524 by Thefirstone
Replied by Thefirstone on topic A question

Helstar wrote: It's not stupid, and it has been explored a lot. Reversal of roles, that is.

Thanks 

• Thefirstone
  • Thefirstone's Avatar Topic Author
More
09 Apr 2020 17:41 #67525 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic A question

Thefirstone wrote: How do you feel about settings where women are on average what we would consider superhuman?  I’m currently mulling over two ideas in that vein: One in an alternate universe where women are and have always been the (much) bigger and stronger sex...

... And one in the distant future, on a colonized planet.  Essentially, a radical feminist group genetically modified the initial  colonists so that their female descendants would be superhuman.  Somehow, by the time of the story’s present, this lead to the two sexes living apart from each other except to procreate and the males revering the females as goddesses.  

While this premise isn't particularly original I would like to know where you're going with it. A simple one-sided domination story won't be too different from LaPorte or many other examples, but every writer can get a different spin an idea.

• Woodclaw
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
09 Apr 2020 19:36 #67528 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic A question
Nothing wrong with the premise of role and power reversal on a sexual basis, but such a story would have to be really interesting on several other levels to work for me. 

I was involved in the early FemDom movement in BBS fiction in the late 1980's until the pen-name Betu Best, but tired of it when it became just a vehicle for women beating up men. A few stories were interesting, but very few. 

I invented the Aurora Universe at that time because I wanted to write about powerful females with superpowers, but not from a male domination perspective. I found it useful to almost always have an ordinary male narrator in every story who is living with and interacting with superfemales, but as a supporter and collaborator as opposed to being ground down and squished out of the way.

The idea of having a real enemy, who were also superpowered but more like Nazis, was interesting to me, with Terrans, male and female, being pulled apart by those two forces. Expunging the FemDom element from my writing was vital. 

But that's just me... it doesn't mean FemDom can't be done in an interesting way, but its been done very poorly by hundreds of authors in the last 30-40 years, with only a handful finding a way to make it truly interesting and nuanced. 

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: guimachajo1

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
09 Apr 2020 21:01 - 09 Apr 2020 21:04 #67529 by Monty
Replied by Monty on topic A question

Woodclaw wrote:

Thefirstone wrote: How do you feel about settings where women are on average what we would consider superhuman?  I’m currently mulling over two ideas in that vein: One in an alternate universe where women are and have always been the (much) bigger and stronger sex...

While this premise isn't particularly original I would like to know where you're going with it. A simple one-sided domination story won't be too different from LaPorte or many other examples, but every writer can get a different spin an idea.

I agree with Wodclaw. When I first read the first post, my immediate thought was of the brilliant La Porte Caves. If you can get an original angle on things, by all means, you should have a crack at it..
Last edit: 09 Apr 2020 21:04 by Monty.

More
09 Apr 2020 21:30 #67531 by MisterK
Replied by MisterK on topic A question
Both are interesting ideas. Potentially they could be worked into competing science fiction.  What I would say though is to put some careful consideration into gender roles, expectations, perspectives, etc. Don't just be "politically correct," but consider perspectives and think honestly (these issues have made my series very complicated.) I say this because you're potentially treading on sensitive ground.

The other thing I'd say is the same thing I say about any scifi/fantasy concept that feels farfetched. Do it with a straight face! Believe in it, and it will be that much easier to convince readers. 

More
09 Apr 2020 22:10 #67532 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic A question

Helstar wrote: It's not stupid, and it has been explored a lot. Reversal of roles, that is.

Like everything, it's the execution of an idea that makes it or not.

I see nothing wrong with the premise, it's a great place to start.

In a way, this reminds me of a situation from Jack L. Chalker's  Well World series.  In the end of one of the books ( I don't remember which one), there is a vast alien machine that can remake/design intelligent lifeforms.  One of the men makes a race where the men were hyper-endowed and made himself one.  All the females of the race were supposed to essentially be sex slaves.

Fast forward to the next book, and the situation had pivoted.  I'm hazy, but iirc the males had such hyper sex drives they were blinded by it and NEEDED it, and the women took control. The society was then dominated and run by women, the opposite of the original intent of the design.

Chalker's books are full of transformations, voluntary and involuntary, and people dealing with those.  (IN this series and in others.)

But I don't mean that as a knock (far from it), it just sparked a memory so I shared.

I will say, that this is the premise, and what you are looking to deal with -- but it's the foundation.  The STORY that is told atop of it is what will make/break it.

The old Stan Lee story about some kid telling him about a hero he'd made and starting listing all the powers and Stan asks "WHO is he?"  meaning not the list of powers, but the PERSON who had the powers. Spider-Man works because of Peter Parker, not the other way around.

So, while you are world-building, look for your "Peter Parker" to hang the story on. ;-)

More
09 Apr 2020 22:18 - 09 Apr 2020 22:20 #67533 by MisterK

The old Stan Lee story about some kid telling him about a hero he'd made and starting listing all the powers and Stan asks "WHO is he?"  meaning not the list of powers, but the PERSON who had the powers. Spider-Man works because of Peter Parker, not the other way around.

So, while you are world-building, look for your "Peter Parker" to hang the story on. ;-)

Yup. Agree strongly. Characterization is everything. 
Last edit: 09 Apr 2020 22:20 by MisterK.

More
09 Apr 2020 22:45 #67534 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic A question

TwiceOnThursdays wrote: The old Stan Lee story about some kid telling him about a hero he'd made and starting listing all the powers and Stan asks "WHO is he?"  meaning not the list of powers, but the PERSON who had the powers. Spider-Man works because of Peter Parker, not the other way around.

This is often my acid test for superheroes: if you can tell a story about that character without putting his/hers powers on the tzble, then you have something to work with.
Having superpowers is, often, just a way to amplify and enhance the actions and the possibilities of a character.

• Woodclaw
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
09 Apr 2020 22:50 #67535 by MisterK
You just gave me an idea for another thread. Stay tuned.

More
09 Apr 2020 23:00 #67539 by Idylls

I'm not talking about that (role reversal). If that were the case I could just go about and say "In a world where women are more powerful than men" and start from there. And it would be fine for that kind of audience.

But if you're intention is something "more", to establish a foundation for your "world"...

"In the future, on a colonized planet, genetic modification by radical feminist has made it so that their descendants are goddesses who lord over men that are only used for sex"

If I read that at the back of a book I can already infer that 1) "radical feminist" means there are some sort of oppression of men; limits the audience 2) "genetic modification" but only women? 3) "future" they have tools and tech advanced enough to travel the stars and their society devolves to this? 4) "colonized planet", why don't the oppressed just leave? 

It just doesn't fly for me and I can poke more holes in it. It requires too much suspension of disbelief, jumping over plot holes to make a solid foundation. It's a bad premise.

• Idylls
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Apr 2020 23:26 #67541 by Idylls
I apologize tothefirstone if I hurt his feelings. That wasn't my intention. I tried to make certain not to attack him but the premise of his story. I'm sure he'll take offense with that too. As I'm sure the community will come to his defense and will be breathing down my neck again. I posted my reply with that knowledge. I can take it. 

Some unsolicited advice. Focus on themes. Personally I like themes of struggle, responsibility, redemption and sacrifice (not necessarily all of them in the same story) 

• Idylls
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Apr 2020 23:35 #67542 by Idylls
@shadar

The fabled BBS. I heard so many stories about it that I wanted to find it when I first had access to the internet. Back in 1996. Is there some sort of modern day archive of it? 

• Idylls
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Apr 2020 00:18 - 10 Apr 2020 00:37 #67546 by shadar

Idylls wrote: @shadar

The fabled BBS. I heard so many stories about it that I wanted to find it when I first had access to the internet. Back in 1996. Is there some sort of modern day archive of it? 

Diana the Valkryie continued to operate much as she had on the BBS system. She's still online at:

www.thevalkyrie.com/main.html

The content has the save flavor as her site had on BBS, and some of the stories might go back that far. 

While I was making sure her site was still running, I found a favorite old Supergirl story from Ann Douglas that was first featured on my AU site back in the day. In fact, Diana's copy of it still has my old notice on the bottom. Simple, short and evocative, which was the norm then. 

FYI... like a lot of Diana's stories, along with the one's I favored back in the 90's, this should be classified as erotica. 

www.thevalkyrie.com/stories/supergirl/supgirl.txt

Shadar
Last edit: 10 Apr 2020 00:37 by shadar.

• shadar
More
10 Apr 2020 00:41 #67550 by Idylls
Any other more superheroine site? The site has too many femdom to dig through to find what I like. And where it matters, their superheroine stories; they get dominated. I was like "c'mon really". Most of their stories are about femdom but when it comes to superheroines it becomes mostly peril? 

Also I don't know when but before they had a line which says they don't encourage male rape. I can't find it now. 

Any other? Well except for yours that is.

• Idylls
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Apr 2020 05:18 #67615 by algae2k
Replied by algae2k on topic A question
I know there're several image-based sites (e.g., superheroinehq.com).

Speaking of which, has anyone been able to sign on there in the past week (not to hijack the thread... I can't get past the sign-in...)...

More
12 Apr 2020 06:24 #67616 by shadar

Idylls wrote: Any other more superheroine site? The site has too many femdom to dig through to find what I like. And where it matters, their superheroine stories; they get dominated. I was like "c'mon really". Most of their stories are about femdom but when it comes to superheroines it becomes mostly peril? 

Also I don't know when but before they had a line which says they don't encourage male rape. I can't find it now. 

Any other? Well except for yours that is.

Well, you were wondering what the BBS content was like -- not so great for a lot of us.  DianaTheValkyrie had the best content, but yes, in addition to FemDom, Peril came out of there. There were the occasional odd stories that were outside of those ranges, and I linked to one a few message's below about Supergirl. 

The good thing about BBS forums for me was that they pushed me to create my own site once the Internet arrived for the masses. Suddenly I was able to create and host my own site on the Web that just had content I liked. How amazing that was.  

Still is, here on SWM. 

Shadar

• shadar
More
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds