Amount

Culture Clash

10 Apr 2020 04:41 #67562 by Thefirstone
Culture Clash was created by Thefirstone
Or what TV Tropes calls Values Dissonance.  I feel like a heroine from a different planet or dimension would present some interesting opportunities to play with that.  Say, a woman from a militaristic society would probably have less of a problem than a “traditional” hero with killing her enemies, which could lead to friction with other superheroes if she works/interacts with them.  Or if women where she’s from have powers like her but men are what we’d consider normal, she may conceivably be surprised to encounter a male hero or villain close to her level or with the idea that someone without powers could actually be a threat.  Or another idea that came to me, someone from a society that practices eugenics and/or political marriages, and doesn’t get why people would be allowed to choose their partners.  And so on and so forth. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thefirstone
  • Thefirstone's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
More
10 Apr 2020 20:08 #67570 by mechjok
Replied by mechjok on topic Culture Clash

Thefirstone wrote: Or what TV Tropes calls Values Dissonance.  I feel like a heroine from a different planet or dimension would present some interesting opportunities to play with that.  Say, a woman from a militaristic society would probably have less of a problem than a “traditional” hero with killing her enemies, which could lead to friction with other superheroes if she works/interacts with them.  Or if women where she’s from have powers like her but men are what we’d consider normal, she may conceivably be surprised to encounter a male hero or villain close to her level or with the idea that someone without powers could actually be a threat.  Or another idea that came to me, someone from a society that practices eugenics and/or political marriages, and doesn’t get why people would be allowed to choose their partners.  And so on and so forth. 

You raise a couple of interesting points that could- and have- lead to some excellent story telling. "Fish out of water" adapting can always be fun, whether played for laughs or deadly serious, as in the case of "militarized" supers. I've found that a traditional four-color super is woefully unprepared for one who is not only trained in strategy and tactics, but rigorously skilled in combat applications of their abilities. It makes a major difference- but if you carry the idea too far to it's logical end, be prepared to have body counts. BIG ones. 

More
10 Apr 2020 20:36 #67571 by anonxyzus
Replied by anonxyzus on topic Culture Clash
Or trying to figure out which fork to use at dinner.

More
11 Apr 2020 00:58 #67573 by mechjok
Replied by mechjok on topic Culture Clash

anonxyzus wrote: Or trying to figure out which fork to use at dinner.

I just eat my way in from the outside.. and drink my soup.

More
11 Apr 2020 02:53 #67578 by YAGS
Replied by YAGS on topic Culture Clash

Thefirstone wrote: Say, a woman from a militaristic society would probably have less of a problem than a “traditional” hero with killing her enemies, which could lead to friction with other superheroes if she works/interacts with them.   

Sounds like Wonder Woman from the late 80s and 90s.

More
Time to create page: 0.062 seconds