Amount

Misery

09 Sep 2020 02:34 #69105 by Thefirstone
Misery was created by Thefirstone
An idea that’s been floating around in my head for a while: A parody(?) of Stephen King’s Misery in which the insane fan girl also has superpowers.  Since the original book has the protagonist learning about Annie Wilkes’ background from newspaper clippings she keeps, maybe in this case I could drop hints about the woman’s origin in a similar way (like finding something about experiments her parents were involved in or a space pod hidden in her house or yard) but apart from that I don’t know where this would go plot wise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HikerAngel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thefirstone
  • Thefirstone's Avatar Topic Author
More
09 Sep 2020 03:04 #69106 by HikerAngel
Replied by HikerAngel on topic Misery
“Can I? Yeah. You bet I can. There's a million things in this world can't do. Couldn't hit a curve ball, even back in high school. Can't fix a leaky faucet. Can't roller-skate or make an F-chord on the guitar that sounds like anything but shit. I have tried twice to be married and couldn't do it either time. But if you want me to take you away, to scare you or involve you or make you cry or grin, yeah. I can. I can bring it to you and keep bringing it until you holler uncle. I am able. I CAN.“

Misery is the only Stephen King book I’ve read. But the writing is so freaking good, I wouldn’t want to attempt even a faint echo of it. Maybe someone else would give it a shot... :)

More
09 Sep 2020 03:06 #69107 by HikerAngel
The story is an allegory. Annie represents Stephen King’s battle with cocaine. As with the original, that idea should probably drive the plot.

More
09 Sep 2020 08:31 #69112 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic Misery
That actually sounds like a fun idea.

More
09 Sep 2020 09:35 #69113 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Misery

HikerAngel wrote: The story is an allegory. Annie represents Stephen King’s battle with cocaine. As with the original, that idea should probably drive the plot.

Interesting, I read somewhere that it was sort of a revenge piece against some fans that gave him a hard time during conventions.

More
09 Sep 2020 14:13 #69118 by HikerAngel
www.google.com/amp/s/bookriot.com/writin...en-kings-misery/amp/

I was recommended the book by one of my SCREAMS!!! Contest friends. It’s as much about writing as anything. Good book. Made me really understand why King is so popular. He writes so creatively and actively. He whips together imagery seemingly with every sentence. And he is so good with his verbs. I still struggle with using more interesting and dynamic verbs, but I’m improving. Reading this story made me see how ithey are really key to writing in a more gripping style. Maybe one day, I’ll be half the writer he is... :)

More
Time to create page: 0.051 seconds