Amount

Superpowers and religion

31 Jul 2021 06:09 #71968 by Thefirstone
Superpowers and religion was created by Thefirstone
One interesting thing about Marvel 1602 was the take on Thor.  For those of you who are unfamiliar, this was one of the “human who becomes Thor using the hammer” versions, and his human identity was a Templar.  As in one of the original knightly/religious order.  I feel like a story about   a woman who gains superpowers that contradict her religion (such as coming from pagan gods like Thor or Shazam’s) and how she deals with that could be interesting if done well.  Any thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thefirstone
  • Thefirstone's Avatar Topic Author
More
31 Jul 2021 08:31 #71969 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Superpowers and religion
Although it is an interesting concept and one that was also explored in some incarnations of Ghost Rider, I fear it might also be a touchy subject. Personally, I have no problem with it, but I know a few people that might take offense at the representation of their own religion in a certain light.
My general advice is: if you want to do it, please find a way to have a beta reader/editor that practce or knows a lot about said religion, so you have a good point of reference.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Raa

More
31 Jul 2021 09:28 #71970 by slim36
Replied by slim36 on topic Superpowers and religion

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

More
01 Aug 2021 03:54 #71975 by YAGS
Replied by YAGS on topic Superpowers and religion
And here I was expecting a thread about people worshipping superwomen.

More
01 Aug 2021 05:15 #71976 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Superpowers and religion

And here I was expecting a thread about people worshipping superwomen.
That wouldn’t be religion, because you gotta have a one or more gods plus a lot of rules and dogma and shared beliefs and fellow believers and holy men to have a religion.

In contrast, the worship of individual gods or goddesses is technically mythology. (Which was obviously named by those who thought all the pagan gods were just myths.) 

So what’s it called then when you find yourself worshipping an actual walking, talking goddess?  No myths. No religion - yet.

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
07 Aug 2021 02:33 - 07 Aug 2021 02:35 #72007 by freeLancer
Replied by freeLancer on topic Superpowers and religion
There was this story which title I forgot. It was about a sort of house mistress that was in charge of taking care of 3 children. She was very devout Christian. She would force the children to recite prayers all the time. At some point, the childrens prayers channeled into her getting more beautiful and powerful. She eventually got everyone in the country to recite prayers that empowered her that she became more powerful than god. I think this is along the lines of this thread 

But I forgot it's name and where to find it. Can someone help locate this story. Your thread reminded me of this story. Thanks.

If recall correctly, the characters were south American
Last edit: 07 Aug 2021 02:35 by freeLancer.

More
07 Aug 2021 10:44 - 07 Aug 2021 10:46 #72009 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Superpowers and religion

There was this story which title I forgot. It was about a sort of house mistress that was in charge of taking care of 3 children. She was very devout Christian. She would force the children to recite prayers all the time. At some point, the childrens prayers channeled into her getting more beautiful and powerful. She eventually got everyone in the country to recite prayers that empowered her that she became more powerful than god. I think this is along the lines of this thread 

But I forgot it's name and where to find it. Can someone help locate this story. Your thread reminded me of this story. Thanks.

If recall correctly, the characters were south American
I believe I remeber something to this effect uploaded to Brawna.org, I think it was titled "Ascension" or something like that.
I might still have a copy in my offline archive.
Last edit: 07 Aug 2021 10:46 by Woodclaw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Glaazius

More
07 Aug 2021 11:20 #72010 by Glaazius
Replied by Glaazius on topic Superpowers and religion
Sounds interesting! If you happen to have. Please share!

More
07 Aug 2021 18:41 #72014 by DP
Replied by DP on topic Superpowers and religion
This sounds similar to Adria from Stargate. There was an episode called Ascension too.

More
08 Aug 2021 01:41 #72023 by freeLancer
Yeah. I think it was Ascension.

More
08 Aug 2021 01:42 #72024 by freeLancer
Love Adria. But different from this story.

More
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds