Amount

Updates Tracker NOW ON-LINE!

31 May 2006 12:48 #5641 by admin
Updates Tracker NOW ON-LINE! was created by admin
Announcing SuperWomenMania's UPDATES TRACKER!

See when many genre-related websites were last updated from a single page that updates itself automatically.

Check it out!

www.superwomenmania.com/tracker

(or click the "Updates Tracker" link at the top of this page.

To suggest sites to add to the Updates Tracker, please post a new topic in this forum.

admin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• admin
  • admin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
31 May 2006 13:23 #5642 by YAGS
Replied by YAGS on topic Re: Updates Tracker NOW ON-LINE!
:shock: Very cool. 8) Thanks for the effort, admin!

I hope you won't be too insulted if I make a couple of suggestions for how to make it even better. :P

First, the colors are a little bright, especially the lines with blue text against blue background. Maybe it's just that it's too early in the morning for me. :? But changing the table to match the grey of the Story Bank might make it easier to read, as well as keeping the "look and feel" consistant throughout SWM.

Second, any chance of having it check to see if the user is logged in, and show the times in local time based on their settings? I know the forum messages do this, so I'm hoping it'll be easy for you to just copy that code to the new page. If not, don't worry about it. Just a suggestion.

Once again, thanks for the cool new feature. :D

YAGS

More
29 Aug 2006 17:27 #6655 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Updates Tracker NOW ON-LINE!
The tracker's been tweaked a little. The date of updates is now clearer to understand with the month spelt out rather than being represented in numerical form. Hope this helps.

Currently, there are no plans to change the colouring or add time zone facilities.

admin.

• admin
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
29 Aug 2006 23:40 #6658 by patches
Replied by patches on topic Re: Updates Tracker NOW ON-LINE!
Hey there admin,
Sorry i dont really understand the tracker, why does it say for instance that new-goddess has been updated or changed on the 29th when it hasnt been updated since the 22nd?

More
30 Aug 2006 14:20 #6661 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic Re: Updates Tracker NOW ON-LINE!

Hey there admin,
Sorry i dont really understand the tracker, why does it say for instance that new-goddess has been updated or changed on the 29th when it hasnt been updated since the 22nd?

I was wondering this myself. Does it have something to do with the server resetting itself?

More
30 Aug 2006 20:41 #6667 by Sarge395
Replied by Sarge395 on topic Re: Updates Tracker NOW ON-LINE!
A lot of sites are like that. Mandi Steele shows 29 August as updated but the site was updated on 21 August.

• Sarge395
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
30 Aug 2006 22:24 #6672 by yaracyrrah
Replied by yaracyrrah on topic Re: Updates Tracker NOW ON-LINE!
The tracker notes an update whenever the site is altered, not just when the alteration is important enough to merit front-page notice. Even on my dinky little personal homepage I often shuffle files around without mentioning it in my public update log; I'm sure a commercial site involves proportionally more such scut-work.

--Y

More
31 Aug 2006 01:39 #6676 by Sarge395
Replied by Sarge395 on topic Re: Updates Tracker NOW ON-LINE!
Ok,

Well that settles it. Thanks for the info.

• Sarge395
More
05 Sep 2006 15:28 #6724 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Updates Tracker NOW ON-LINE!
Basically, yaracyrrah just about covers it. Some sites just happen to change minor details that the Tracker mistakes for a critical change or "update". Other sites do it deliberately to keep themselves at or near the top of crawler-driven lists like our Tracker.

For obvious reasons, the Tracker has to be an automated process. Every 20 minutes, it looks at one key page on each site (usually the "Updates" page... duh) to determine if it's changed and if yes, flags up the change as an "Update". Of course, it's just a copy of the "At-a-glance" service that Greg originally provided on his ubergirls.org domain. It's intended as a first port of call for all us genre-fans surfing the net for new Superwomen-related content: a completely free service that doesn't even require a sign-up, accessible and usable to all. It's not intented to be limited in the scope of sites covered and we welcome requests and suggestions from webmasters for their sites to be added.

With the vast majority of sites listed, it appears to work very well. Quite a few people would seem to agree with that: the stats show plenty of traffic through the Tracker, despite it not being publicised much at all outside of this forum.

The system does have an obvious weakness, however, which is shown up by the sites mentioned in recent posts on this thread. There's some pressure to remove sites from the Tracker list if they seem to be unfairly seeking an advantage from this weakness. From our point of view, the Tracker fails in its principal task (identifying content updates) with these sites.

Tracker users, what do you think?

Also, don't forget, if you have a favourite site (or four!) that you would like to see added to the Tracker list, feel free to start a new thread under "Updates Tracker".

admin.

• admin
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
05 Sep 2006 22:29 #6727 by Evangeline
Replied by Evangeline on topic Re: Updates Tracker NOW ON-LINE!

Also, don't forget, if you have a favourite site (or four!) that you would like to see added to the Tracker list, feel free to start a new thread under "Updates Tracker".

admin.

It's ok...I understand, and get the hint.

If the community here, and the Admin see no reason to admit me I understand
(although would have prefered getting an email about it other than being ignored)

More
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds