Amount
× Reminder: this is not a miscellaneous discussion forum. If your thread is not about the forum itself, its software, or its mods, please look for a more appropriate home -- thanks.

Non-English story section

13 Sep 2012 07:52 #28548 by njae
Non-English story section was created by njae
For those that were present during the Town Hall meeting, this won't come as a surprise, but it's been decided that our story library expends it's horizon and also allows non-English stories.

The advatages are simple: Not all authors are fluent in English, but would like to contribute to the bank. This way they can write in their native language. On the other hand readers may also enjoy stories in their native language compared to English as well. All in all, we hope that the activity will rise through this.

There's also one big disadvantage, though: The different languages also have a much smaller audience, so that a story that's only available in - say - Portugese can only be read by those familiar with the language. Which in turn may cause authors to refrain from using their native languages.

The solution to that is quite simple: it's possible to translate a story from one language to another even if the original author isn't fluent in that. All that's necessary for that is the authors approval to do so and another author that translates it - at least if you're not trying some automated translation.

Now there are two big questions for you:
1. What languages would you like to read stories in (there's no use in translating to a language that nobody wants to read)
2. If you're an author: Do you give your approval for your stories to be translated from or to English?
The following user(s) said Thank You: eavatar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• njae
  • njae's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
13 Sep 2012 18:20 #28564 by JKIJ
Replied by JKIJ on topic Non-English story section
I only really read English so I can't say that I would be able to read in any other language. The only other language that I know at all is French and I'm far too out of practice to read anything in French. I definitely give permission to translate any of my stories into any other language though. If somebody wants to translate anything I've written, I give them my whole hearted blessing and thanks for the effort they would put into getting it right.

More
13 Sep 2012 21:07 #28566 by njae
Replied by njae on topic Non-English story section
Lol, I start the thread but i fail to answer these stories myself.

My stories can be translated into pretty much every language except german, that one I could do myself if need be.

• njae
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
14 Sep 2012 04:25 #28572 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Non-English story section
Spanish is the only language other that English that I can read. I don't care if you translate any of my stories into any language that you like except Klingon!

More
15 Sep 2012 14:07 #28612 by njae
Gotta give this topic a bump so that other authors/reader can give their comments.

• njae
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
15 Sep 2012 14:53 #28614 by SHTL
Replied by SHTL on topic Non-English story section
I donno how many italians are here, I would like to write italian stories time permitting...

More
15 Sep 2012 16:36 #28616 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Non-English story section
I'm afraid that my languages start and end with English.

That being said, anybody is welcome to translate any of my stories if they wish.

- GeekSeven

More
16 Sep 2012 00:34 #28623 by bionicskillz
Replied by bionicskillz on topic Non-English story section

superhumanteenlover wrote: I donno how many italians are here, I would like to write italian stories time permitting...

I'm Italian-American from a family of Italian-Americans that don't speak any Italian, go figure. :huh:

More
16 Sep 2012 01:17 #28624 by Grayface
Replied by Grayface on topic Non-English story section
Don't feel bad. I've said now for quite some time I make a bad Jew and a worse Greek, or was it a bad Greek and worse Jew either way I only know English, and I cant even write it that well. go figure.

More
16 Sep 2012 02:36 #28625 by eavatar
Replied by eavatar on topic Non-English story section

BionicSkillz wrote:

superhumanteenlover wrote: I donno how many italians are here, I would like to write italian stories time permitting...

I'm Italian-American from a family of Italian-Americans that don't speak any Italian, go figure. :huh:

At least you eat pasta and pizza or drink wine? :silly:

Going ahead is the only one way to go to the future.

More
16 Sep 2012 02:40 #28626 by eavatar
Replied by eavatar on topic Non-English story section

ace191 wrote: Spanish is the only language other that English that I can read. I don't care if you translate any of my stories into any language that you like except Klingon!

Why not Klingon? It sounds like a species prejudice. There are a lot of klingon readers around the world and combat stories for them are real romantic stories. Twilight series for them are about Bella killing more vampires than Buffy and Anita Blake together just to show to Edward how delicate and insecure she is... And the last book ritual marriage combat take about 200 pages to last and it was just a 10 minutes combat at that island which they chose for honeymoon

Going ahead is the only one way to go to the future.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Woodclaw

More
17 Sep 2012 06:47 #28631 by njae
Time to take stock:

Authors that allow their stories to be translated from English:
JKIJ, njae (except German), ace191 (preferably Klingon :P), geekseven

Authors that intent to write in a non-English (hopefully allowing translation as well):
superhumanteenlover (Italian), eavatar (Portuguese)

Authors that would translate from English to another language:
eavatar (Portuguese), njae (German)

So far so good, but I'm pretty sure there's more than that.

• njae
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
Time to create page: 0.061 seconds