Amount
× Reminder: this is not a miscellaneous discussion forum. If your thread is not about the forum itself, its software, or its mods, please look for a more appropriate home -- thanks.

The most important Forum Post ever

20 Jun 2014 20:14 - 20 Jun 2014 20:26 #36883 by fats
Hi all,

The title of this forum post is not misleading as it's really is important.

Lfan and I have been in discussion for some time and we are looking to you the membership to solve the problem that has bugged us for some time.

As you all know we have had problems with the hosting of the site and we are looking at moving the site from the current host to a better one, not this is where you come in.

We would like to know what, if anything you would like to contribute to a fund to pay for additional hosting. We are going to call the fund "Help SWM fund", catchy isn't it. We would use the fund to pay for VPS hosting to improve the site, with any left over at the end of the year to pay for cash prize workshop or special content commissioned for SWM (e.g. themed galleries or audio stories).

So what I’m needing from people is how much you are willing to pay, how often and how you would like to pay.

so for example

$5 per month via pay pal

the alternative is to go the advertising route with pop up and pop under adverts and lots and lots of averts.

Lastly what ever you contribute to the site will be for the site, no one will run off with your money.

Please reply to this thread with your answers.

Fats
Last edit: 20 Jun 2014 20:26 by fats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fats
  • fats's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
20 Jun 2014 21:06 #36884 by Dru1076
Replied by Dru1076 on topic The most important Forum Post ever
How much do you need? I'll pay whatever it takes to keep the site free of ads! 5 bucks a month sounds more than reasonable for something I use every day. PayPal is probably the easiest method of payment for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, fats, castor

More
20 Jun 2014 22:12 - 20 Jun 2014 22:14 #36885 by rueda09
Replied by rueda09 on topic The most important Forum Post ever
I agree with $5 per month via pay pal. I really like this site.

The fact is, if we all pay 5$ per month, its more than enough money for your needs... Maybe a rotation?
Last edit: 20 Jun 2014 22:14 by rueda09.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, fats, castor

More
20 Jun 2014 23:10 #36887 by Raa
Replied by Raa on topic The most important Forum Post ever
I'm game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, fats

More
20 Jun 2014 23:57 #36888 by Grayface
Replied by Grayface on topic The most important Forum Post ever
While I wish I could bankroll the site for everyone, it is just a wish, but I could and would pay $5 a month.

More
21 Jun 2014 00:43 #36889 by Starfurys483
Replied by Starfurys483 on topic The most important Forum Post ever
$5 dollars is more than reasonable for all the content...im game.

More
21 Jun 2014 04:30 #36893 by Sarge395
Replied by Sarge395 on topic The most important Forum Post ever
I would PayPal monthly.

I would also not be against paid advertisement. Anything to keep the board alive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fats

• Sarge395
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
21 Jun 2014 04:58 #36894 by italy877
Replied by italy877 on topic The most important Forum Post ever
$5 Paypal, im down also!

More
21 Jun 2014 07:28 #36897 by SCOTT R
Replied by SCOTT R on topic The most important Forum Post ever
5 bucks a month from me too. SWM kicks ass!

More
21 Jun 2014 07:59 #36898 by deathgeonous
Replied by deathgeonous on topic The most important Forum Post ever
Ok, while I'm not much of a poster, I do check out this site at least once a day, if not more. That said, I'm a broke dude, and I'm living off of disability, so I don't think I CAN pay five bucks a month, even though it is a nice a cheep price. I am on a very tight budget, and all the spare money I had just bought me a new computer that I am now using. I wouldn't mind Ads, as they are everywhere, but, if this site goes to pay for, I'm, sadly, not going to be able to be a member anymore, due to the simple fact that I really do not have the spare funds.

More
21 Jun 2014 08:12 #36899 by Dru1076
I don't think it should be compulsory. I'm willing to pay, and judging by the overall response I think a large number of people are. I don't think members should be kicked out if they can't afford to contribute financially. I'm pretty safely employed right now, but what if that were to change? I might need to stop donating for a while, and would hate to think I'd loose access in circumstances like that.

What really interests me is the special commissions that could be generated by this idea. If enough of us support this idea it could lead to some awesome new content.

More
21 Jun 2014 08:37 #36900 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic The most important Forum Post ever
Oh boy ... this is rather of bad spot for me.
Am I willing to support SWM? Yes.
Do I have the capacity to do it ...? I don't know.
5 $/Month is quite cheap -- especially compared to many other websites -- but my bank avvount reminds me that, being only occasionally employed, I have to manage my money rather carefully. So, I'm definitly willing to support, but I would advise to add some extra options like a yearly membership that runs for 50$ instead of 60$ and so on.

More
21 Jun 2014 08:40 #36901 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic The most important Forum Post ever
Five bucks is a bargain. I'm in.

• shadar
More
21 Jun 2014 08:44 #36902 by Caylane
Replied by Caylane on topic The most important Forum Post ever
I feel the need to bring this up though as Dru mentioned he'd like the site free of ads, now is it just me or are ads such a terrible thing? I mean so long as they are not incredibly distracting that should be fine no?

More
21 Jun 2014 08:58 - 21 Jun 2014 09:01 #36903 by Dru1076
Perhaps do what devianart does. Allow full access to the site with ads for free, and make them disappear for paying members.
Last edit: 21 Jun 2014 09:01 by Dru1076.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fats, furbutt4

More
21 Jun 2014 09:18 #36904 by fats
Replied by fats on topic The most important Forum Post ever
The amount that people can give should be something that they can afford, for those who can and are willing that's great, for those who can't which includes me as I've been laid off then that's ok as well.

So far with all the people who have said that they can and willing we can move to a VPS server.

One thing that i would like to make clear, if you can not pay you will still be welcome here, we are not going down the route of being a subscription only site.

Fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grayface, Dru1076

• fats
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
21 Jun 2014 09:40 #36905 by oldHarmonyMotion
Replied by oldHarmonyMotion on topic The most important Forum Post ever
will contribute

• oldHarmonyMotion
More
21 Jun 2014 11:15 #36907 by SHTL
Replied by SHTL on topic The most important Forum Post ever
I'm in personally but i think the forum will lost more regular members then we expect, much more...; on the other hand i think that if paying means tha twe will have much more commissions and special features like videos ecc, itdoes matter !
I repeat, personally I'M IN and if the price was 10 dollars I'M IN the same because i love too much this forum and the story it represent.

More
21 Jun 2014 12:01 #36908 by deathgeonous
Replied by deathgeonous on topic The most important Forum Post ever
Ok, I'm glad to hear that if/when the pay stuff comes, us cheep and or broke guys will still be welcomed. That said, I like the idea of ads and pay for guys get to have them removed, and I also liked the idea of a yearly subscription to the site. As weird as it may sound, if you accept a yearly payment plan, I, personally, am more likely to be able to pay. It's the one lump sum thing. Since I have so very little left in a month after making all my necessary to live and not be homeless payments, taking another five out of that seems bad. But... I could maybe afford a one lump sum once a year better. Weird but true.

More
21 Jun 2014 12:39 #36909 by fats
Replied by fats on topic The most important Forum Post ever

deathgeonous wrote: Ok, I'm glad to hear that if/when the pay stuff comes, us cheep and or broke guys will still be welcomed. That said, I like the idea of ads and pay for guys get to have them removed, and I also liked the idea of a yearly subscription to the site. As weird as it may sound, if you accept a yearly payment plan, I, personally, am more likely to be able to pay. It's the one lump sum thing. Since I have so very little left in a month after making all my necessary to live and not be homeless payments, taking another five out of that seems bad. But... I could maybe afford a one lump sum once a year better. Weird but true.

the $5 per month was a idea, if someone wants to put in say $50 as a one off payment at say xmas, then go for it.

btw the $50 is suggested amount if someone wants to put in a larger or smaller amount then go for it

fats

• fats
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
21 Jun 2014 14:29 #36910 by Woodclaw

fats wrote:

deathgeonous wrote: Ok, I'm glad to hear that if/when the pay stuff comes, us cheep and or broke guys will still be welcomed. That said, I like the idea of ads and pay for guys get to have them removed, and I also liked the idea of a yearly subscription to the site. As weird as it may sound, if you accept a yearly payment plan, I, personally, am more likely to be able to pay. It's the one lump sum thing. Since I have so very little left in a month after making all my necessary to live and not be homeless payments, taking another five out of that seems bad. But... I could maybe afford a one lump sum once a year better. Weird but true.

the $5 per month was a idea, if someone wants to put in say $50 as a one off payment at say xmas, then go for it.

btw the $50 is suggested amount if someone wants to put in a larger or smaller amount then go for it

fats

Maybe we should consider a Kickstarter style contribution.

BTW, Dru's idea of using DA style adds isn't bad either.

More
21 Jun 2014 14:46 #36913 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic The most important Forum Post ever
To stay ad free for $5 a month is well worth it in my mind. Ads are the scourge of the Net. A plague. SWM today reminds me of the glorious days of the Net before advertising crawled out of its slime pit and stunk up the neighborhood.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Raa, fats

• shadar
More
21 Jun 2014 15:25 #36914 by Woodclaw

shadar wrote: To stay ad free for $5 a month is well worth it in my mind. Ads are the scourge of the Net. A plague. SWM today reminds me of the glorious days of the Net before advertising crawled out of its slime pit and stunk up the neighborhood.

Say hello to my friend: AdBlock :p
The following user(s) said Thank You: Raa, fats

More
21 Jun 2014 15:30 #36915 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic The most important Forum Post ever
Thanks for the posts and support guys! We're looking at options which includes everything from a Paypal button to a Patreon type of contribution model. Fats and I just wanted to test the waters and see what people's general reaction was/is. As he said, 100% of the contributions will go to the site hosting and enhanced content. I have some content ideas for contests and would like to lure some "big guns" (artists, producers) with the carrot of bigger cash prizes, as I cannot simply continue to shell out the money needed for commission prizes and such.

There is NO WAY (while Fats and I are running it) that the site will be for paying/contributing members only. All contributions are welcome, and I understand budgetary constraints as much as anyone, which is kinda why we're going this route... :) There will be no backlash or bad feelings for anyone unable to contribute!

We just wanna keep our little corner of the interweb going, and with maybe some more cash, make it even more satble from a hosting perspective and content-enriched......

Peace!
ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grayface, fats

More
21 Jun 2014 15:46 #36916 by oldHarmonyMotion
Replied by oldHarmonyMotion on topic The most important Forum Post ever
if SWM does run ads, please don't run adblock :(
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grayface, fats

• oldHarmonyMotion
More
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds